Well, I Suppose This Was Bound to Happen Sooner or Later - Providence's Lura Cafe is a Complete Fake

FunnyJohn

Foodies Pwnd:

"The Hippest Cafe in Providence was Totally Fake" by Vicky Gan on citylab.com

"The satire wasn't exactly subtle. In the days leading up to Lura's grand opening, the restaurant's Facebook page taunted followers with a surreal menu of "home-cut potatoes "¦ wrapped in authentic New York Times newspaper," "cold brew coffee served "¦ over mineralized water rocks," and "10x washed quinoa salad." The quote attributed to Pontus Wikner, "POTS SEIDOOF," is "FOODIES STOP" backwards."

Foodies Pwnd:

"The Hippest Cafe in Providence was Totally Fake" by Vicky Gan on citylab.com

"The satire wasn't exactly subtle. In the days leading up to Lura's grand opening, the restaurant's Facebook page taunted followers with a surreal menu of "home-cut potatoes "¦ wrapped in authentic New York Times newspaper," "cold brew coffee served "¦ over mineralized water rocks," and "10x washed quinoa salad." The quote attributed to Pontus Wikner, "POTS SEIDOOF," is "FOODIES STOP" backwards."

I could swear that something similar to this happened a few years ago - does anyone remember what I'm referring to?

While amused, I'm also mostly unimpressed, mainly because people took time out of their day to succumb to this scam - it's extremely easy to dupe other people, in fact, I've thought of doing something similar to this as a joke in the past, but I wouldn't have taken it to the point where others actually committed their time and resources - that's going too far.

I need to read the details a little more closely before rendering final judgment, but my initial impression is that people would be justified in being perturbed.

Although I detest the word "foodie" and always have, there's nothing wrong with being a lover of the culinary arts. (This is precisely the area about which I don't want to comment too strongly, because I haven't read the article closely enough yet (I'm catching up on some threads, and have a lot to do right now). So if anyone has a contrary opinion, please come right out and say so - you may well be correct, and my "commenting without having done my DD" may be giving me a wrong impression - a similar situation to what I'm guilty of regarding Tadich Cafe.) Still, my goal here is to foster discussion, not to render a verdict - please, carry on.

Cheers,

Rocks