Bedrock Billiards, Great Beer Selection and Well-Maintained Pool Tables on Columbia Road and Mintwood Place - Adams Morgan

When I used to hang out at Bedrock Billiards more regularly, I would often bring a couple of empanadas over from Julia's. Nobody ever complained.

There may be different rules for pool halls -- I've brought food into both Bedrock and Atomic from nearby establishments.

Neither is a dive (to stay on topic) but both are considerably less corporate than Buffalo Billiards. And on Sundays at Atomic, pool's free for the ladies, so eat at Dino and then rack 'em up.

Jael

Still undefeated.

Untested.

Bored for wont of competition. wink.gif

rrrrrrRRRRRack 'em!
Rocks.

The Origin of "Win or Suck" Competition

A buddy of mine and I had a pretty intense rivalry going. Basically, it devolved into "win at all costs," or more accurately, "don't lose to this chump under any circumstances." Nine ball was our game of choice, so naturally when there were just a few balls left on the table, the person not shooting would start jawing, trying to ratchet up the pressure and make the shooter choke. A typical comment: "Oh my God. A third-grader could finish this game! I can't believe you have such an easy run ahead of you!" It had gotten to the point where we were ready to kill each other, so rather than come to blows, we invented a new rule: "Win or Suck."

It's so simple it's beautiful: Whenever the person not shooting feels that the shooter should run out what's left on the table, he's entitled to call "Win or Suck." At that point, the shooter has two options:

1) Accept the challenge and try to run the table. If successful, he wins (obviously). If not, he loses.

2) Pass the challenge back to the challenger, who now becomes the shooter. If the challenger successfully runs the table, he wins; if not, he loses. Either way, the game ends after this turn.

Our conversations now went something like this:

"My grandmother could finish this sequence blindfolded. And she's been dead for twenty years!"

"Are you calling Win or Suck?"

"erm ... no."

"Then ... Shut! The Fuck! Up!"

i have been a regular, some might say uber-regular, at bedrock for more years than i care to share. if there is any interest, i would be happy to work with bedrock management (translation: do nothing out of the ordinary and have a few beers and converse with some people at my favorite hang in the 'hood) and organize a dr.com pool tournament.

just thinking that before the trash talk about the respective pool games of the members here gets out of hand, we should work to preemptively settle the matter of who is the best pool player on the board.

i would further suggest that, this become a charitable affair; all proceeds to benefit a worthy organization.

who's willing to put their game, money and trash talk in the same place?

i have been a regular, some might say uber-regular, at bedrock for more years than i care to share. if there is any interest, i would be happy to work with bedrock management (translation: do nothing out of the ordinary and have a few beers and converse with some people at my favorite hang in the 'hood) and organize a dr.com pool tournament.

just thinking that before the trash talk about the respective pool games of the members here gets out of hand, we should work to preemptively settle the matter of who is the best pool player on the board.

i would further suggest that, this become a charitable affair; all proceeds to benefit a worthy organization.

who's willing to put their game, money and trash talk in the same place?

can we add a darts component? btw- pm me- i'd love to meet up- i'm a reef regular and often at bedrock- i've probably seen or met you before.

speaking of darts, where is a good place to play darts in the district? (no plastic tipped, free, good beer, good bar food, and yes, i know this is a food forum, but i had to ask)

Darts=Atomic Billards in Clevland Park, no food but you can have it delivered, same with Bedrock. As far as pool goes, I'd be down for a Sunday league...My troop of kitchen miscreants has been known to shoot some stick, smack balls....on and on with the dick jokes....HAH! :P

speaking of darts, where is a good place to play darts in the district? (no plastic tipped, free, good beer, good bar food, and yes, i know this is a food forum, but i had to ask)
Now you younguns know why us "geezers" miss Mr. Eagan's so terribly (it was in the space now occupied by Cafe Citron). Dart tournaments all the time.

I could go on about how it was so terribly EASY, back in Texas, to psych out the guys at the pool table when I was young and gorgeous and wore short skirts. Let's not discuss how I could never actually break the rack. :P Still managed to turn the guys into jelly. :D

I just wanna "stupidvise" the DR.com pool tournament at Bedrock Billiards. :lol::PB)

Count me in. I love that bar, and I haven't been getting there as much as I used to. I'm not terrible at pool, but I'm not great. It cycles between utter brilliance and missing the easiest shots. A tuesday or wednesday night would be the easiest to lock down a few tables on, methinks.

I need an answer in the next two hours if possible! (I'll move this into Help Needed later today.)

Does anyone know how the pool tables - the actual pool tables themselves - at Continental in Rosslyn are these days?

And would anyone happen to know where the best tables are in DC? Bedrock Billiards?

Has anyone been to the place that replaced Champion Billiards in Shirlington?

I'm essentially looking for the best place to play serious pool in DC or the close-in suburbs - any ideas much appreciated. Food is not important; it would be nice to have a beer, but it's not essential.

The Marine Corps Marathon (with its corresponding street closures) is putting a crimp in my 9-ball game.

Bedrock! With a to go burger from black squirrel. Worked for me every Sunday post brunch

I need an answer in the next two hours if possible! (I'll move this into Help Needed later today.)

Does anyone know how the pool tables - the actual pool tables themselves - at Continental in Rosslyn are these days?

And would anyone happen to know where the best tables are in DC? Bedrock Billiards?

Has anyone been to the place that replaced Champion Billiards in Shirlington?

I'm essentially looking for the best place to play serious pool in DC or the close-in suburbs - any ideas much appreciated. Food is not important; it would be nice to have a beer, but it's not essential.

The Marine Corps Marathon (with its corresponding street closures) is putting a crimp in my 9-ball game.

Bedrock! With a to go burger from black squirrel. Worked for me every Sunday post brunch

Yeah, at 1 PM, the best answer was driving into the shitstorm known as the Marine Corps Hurricane, and heading up Rock Creek Parkway, and over on Calvert Road to Bedrock Billiards - this despite having no idea if roads would be closed (Continental was closed, and so was half of Rosslyn). No matter, the tables at Bedrock are superior, and so is the beer. There's no food, but there are pretzels to stave off hunger.

Well, I played my old nemesis, in town from the Hamptons, just before he left for Union Station, and got my ass handed to me, 9-4 (nine-ball). He's tough, and I can only hang with him if I've been playing; I haven't played since I last saw him several years ago - before that, it had probably been a good five years. This does not make for quality billiards at any level.

There's no powder allowed on the tables at Bedrock Billiards, and I think that's a good thing since it keeps things clean. (Please note the "Where Are The Best Pool Halls in the DC Area?" in the Help Needed thread, and answer if you know of any, despite the immediate situation having been solved.)

So, Bedrock it was, and we had a fantastic time together - I've only seen him twice in the past ten years now, and he's one of my very best friends. Yes, we played "Win Or Suck" Nine Ball, and it goes without saying that I sucked a lot more than I won - we both did, in fact, the person who called "Win Or Suck" got their challenge declined and handed back to them for about the first five games, and lost every single time. If any serious billiards players are reading this, I do believe that we've invented one of the very greatest set of rules there are for any game. See them in detail here and give it a shot if you have a competition-worthy rival - it'll shut you both up very quickly, I promise you. As bad as we played, we both could not have enjoyed ourselves any more than we did. Gosh I love billiards - I've never been quite the player that I am in table tennis, but I love it all the same, and with a little practice? Who knows  - I'd like to find out, that's for sure.

As for today and the food, when I got there, my friend was enjoying a pint of Samuel Smith (on the bill as Guinness, 6.82), and I followed with a pint of Great Lakes Brewing Company (Cleveland) Elliott Ness Lager (how appropriate, since I'm addicted to Narcos, $5.45), and he made do with a pack of pretzels ($1.50). The tables were in great shape, the crowd was high-energy but not-at-all bothersome (the Redskins were on), and it was just a terrific atmosphere to have may ass handed to me, much as it hurts to say.

Pool was $11.32 an hour, and we played for just about two hours, so with our "loser pays" agreement, this cost me a fair amount, but ... I put the emphasis on the word, "fair," because Bedrock Billiards is just a great place. I'm going to see if I have it in Italic, and if I don't, I'm going to make that change right now.

• Like 1

We returned to Bedrock tonight, for the first time in almost a year and a half. Just me and the boy. With the reopening of the world, we needed to get out! OUT OUT OUT!

So, pool. Checked to see how they are handling payment for cue lockers (answer, "We'll let you know.) Beer. Saw some friends. And it was lovely! Bedrock remains a favorite place for pool and beer.

• Like 1