How "The World's 50 Best Restaurants" Are Chosen

FunnyJohn

Who's to Judge?

BY LAUREN COLLINS

"Unlike Michelin, which employs a brigade of full-time inspectors, the 50 Best relies on volunteers, a group of "restaurant-industry experts." The members of the Diners Club World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy, as it is called, are divided into twenty-seven regions. Each region has a chairperson, who appoints thirty-six voters (he or she being one of them), of whom roughly a third are chefs and restaurateurs, a third food journalists, and a third "well-travelled gastronomes." Each voter has seven votes, submitted in order of preference for restaurants at which he has eaten in the previous eighteen months. At least three of the votes must go to restaurants outside his region. There are not too many other rules, but voters can't select restaurants in which they have a financial stake, and, with the exception of the regional chairs, they are supposed to remain anonymous.

"Given that this list is based on personal experiences it can never be definitive," the 50 Best Web site declares. "But we believe it is an honorable survey of current tastes and a credible indicator of the best places to eat around the globe.' "

Heh.  I ate at the third best restaurant in the world, and the best in the Western Hemisphere (that snowstorm cost me a pretty penny).  Ain't I cool?  :lol:

Call me a cynic, bit I think that Francescana gets a bump from that Chef's Table series on Netflix.  

26 minutes ago, Waitman said:

Heh.  I ate at the third best restaurant in the world, and the best in the Western Hemisphere (that snowstorm cost me a pretty penny).  Ain't I cool?  :lol:

Me too, but I did it before it was cool, so I'm cooler. :P

voters are not necessarily anonymous and are allowed to accept free meals and trips

Interesting: I know some judges, and several are members of this website.

I personally know of about 2-3 people who I would consider to be qualified to vote on a list such as this, and that's not taking anything away from the judges - think of how damned *difficult* it would be to vote honestly and confidently, just by the very nature of the list: Anything that involves global travel and megabucks cannot be handled by a single person (I know precisely one person who has (probably) been to all of these restaurants).

On 6/14/2016 at 9:23 AM, Waitman said:

Call me a cynic, bit I think that Francescana gets a bump from that Chef's Table series on Netflix.  

I've been to 5 of the 100 All were pretty darn good. But honestly all of this stuff is so subjective.