Mamma's Kitchen, Greek-Italian-American Diner on Fordson Road Across from Mount Vernon Plaza Shopping Center, Hybla Valley

Why can't anyone open a diner here like they have in NY?  Where you can order everything from eggs, eggplant rollatini, or souvlaki, etc.

Northern Virginia has a culture of Greek-owned pizzerias, for whatever that's worth, and several diners seem to be Greek-owned - maybe they moved down from NY/NJ.   :)

Mamma's Kitchen is 5 minutes away from me and pretty much what the OP describes

Mamma's Kitchen has been our family spot for years. It's close by and they're very consistent. It's been run by the same Greek family since it opened. It's casual, family friendly comfort food. The menu is made up of various cliches like fettuccine alfredo and lasagna, but also a smattering of Greek dishes like mousakka. Nothing very adventurous, but the food is good, everything is made fresh and there's zero chance you'll leave hungry. And the gyros are great.

Mamma's does decent pizzas, pastas, and gyros, but every time I go there, there's almost always a wait. I don't know whether this is because the food is great or the lack of anything comparable in the area. Primo Family Restaurant in Belle Haven used to be pretty terrible, but the last couple times, they managed to pull off pizzas and souvlakis without a hitch. Our usual Greek-owned pizzeria is Atlantis; I like them because they always have half a dozen soups on the menu. Most restaurants barely have one. When I want more classic diner fare, I do the new Bob & Edith's in Crystal City (there's another in Springfield, but I've never been).

It's out in the sticks, but Astoria Pizza in Woodbridge is a stripmall time machine sent forward from 1975. Fugly carpet, stucco walls, good greasy pizzas.

I've usually had pretty quick service, too, but I generally go for lunch- when I picked up a friend for lunch today, I asked her if she wanted to go someplace safe (Mamma's Kitchen, where we've eaten several times-I love the express lunch chicken gyro w/ a side salad) or try something new, & she agreed to try a new place. We ate at Afghan Bistro & it was a winner, definitely going to go back & try some other dishes. But Mamma's Kitchen is closer & someplace that everyone in my picky family can find something they want, the trio of dips is always a hit.

Mamma's kitchen is a regular for our family. It's not fancy, but the quality is reliable and the service quite good. I love their Greek salad with gyro meat; as well as the gyro. I also enjoy their three dip appetizer too. The owner, Marianna, grew up in the Greek restaurant family business and runs a tight ship. They have a very steady lunch and dinner business...but I've seldom had a wait. The exception to that rule seems to be when they are sponsoring a fundraiser for a local school. And despite their awkward location, just off Rt. 1, there is an absolutely lovely patio for outdoor dining. Additionally, be sure to visit their Oil and Vinegar speciality shop next door to the restaurant. It is called EVOO.

• Like 1

Well my goodness, I didn't know about this little gem until the Junior Friends of the Campanga Center had a happy hour here last week.  They did some food for us at EVOO next door, and everything was delicious, I commented on a kale dish they made to a friend saying I would like to make it, and they told me exactly what oil and vinegar they used, how they did it, etc.  It was really nice.

A group of us went next door to get dinner.  We had a trio of dips, which was good.  I got some tastes of other people's dishes and the pizza was good (better than what I had at DRP Belle Haven (sorry but true)), my meatball sub was standard, but good.  I had a salad with house dressing and that was tasty.  I got bites of the greek salad with gyro meat and that was tasty.  But most of all the service was great.  Everyone was so nice and accommodating.  I walked on the patio with a friend who loves this place and I am sure in summer it is a respite from Route 1.  I can't believe my husband hasn't taken me here when we were looking for places in this area to eat!  I am also glad to have their take out menu, because I am totally going to call in dinner orders for him to pick up on his way home.  Thanks DR and Junior Friends!

• Like 1

Well my goodness, I didn't know about this little gem until the Junior Friends of the Campanga Center had a happy hour here last week.  They did some food for us at EVOO next door, and everything was delicious, I commented on a kale dish they made to a friend saying I would like to make it, and they told me exactly what oil and vinegar they used, how they did it, etc.  It was really nice.

A group of us went next door to get dinner.  We had a trio of dips, which was good.  I got some tastes of other people's dishes and the pizza was good (better than what I had at DRP Belle Haven (sorry but true)), my meatball sub was standard, but good.  I had a salad with house dressing and that was tasty.  I got bites of the greek salad with gyro meat and that was tasty.  But most of all the service was great.  Everyone was so nice and accommodating.  I walked on the patio with a friend who loves this place and I am sure in summer it is a respite from Route 1.  I can't believe my husband hasn't taken me here when we were looking for places in this area to eat!  I am also glad to have their take out menu, because I am totally going to call in dinner orders for him to pick up on his way home.  Thanks DR and Junior Friends!

Thank *you* - it's posts like this that raise places in the Dining Guide. I've never been to Mamma's Kitchen, and goodness knows when I'll get there - I've got to rely on posts from trusted members, and I pay attention to things like this.

Thank *you* - it's posts like this that raise places in the Dining Guide. I've never been to Mamma's Kitchen, and goodness knows when I'll get there - I've got to rely on posts from trusted members, and I pay attention to things like this.

Have lunch with me there!

I was there a couple weekends ago as Matt needed to get something from work.  I had a chicken parm sub with a side greek salad.  The salad with their homemade dressing was good, my friends love that salad with gyro meat, will have to try it.  The chicken parm sub wasn't the pinnacle of all chicken subs, but it was really good.  And I was in a post-workout need to eat now phase and the large portions totally hit the spot and it was very affordable.

• Like 1

We had a Campagna Center dine out night this week at Mamma's Kitchen.  There was a big crowd on a weekday, we had to wait for a table for a few minutes, but not too long, but people behind us waited a little longer.  I was happy to have so many people there for our fundraiser!  I went with my Mom and we had the eggplant melanzana I think it what it is called (similar to parmigiana) and the athenian chicken with spinach and side salad.  We got greek salads which were very good (I like that you get a stuffed grape leaf with it).  My chicken was good, I used the bread to eat a lot of the sauce that came with it (I didn't see rice or pasta as a side, but that would be good with this dish, as the sauce is so good).  Mom's eggplant was very normal, but again good.  However, we both decided we ordered wrong when we saw someone get the gyro platter.  Will get that next time.  We ended with a piece of some sort of caramel cake.  I doubt they make this in house, but it was good, we ate all of it.  Again, as said above, not destination food, but really reasonable for classics and they are just such nice people.

• Like 1