Old Stein Inn, Family-Owned German in Edgewater with a Fine German Beer List

One of my closest friends recently moved from NYC to Crofton (the things we do for love!). She's been great about coming into DC to meet me for dinner, brunch and cocktails, and I'd like to return the favor more often.

When I last visited her, we had an utterly forgettable meal in Annapolis on the bay (is it the bay? the harbor? whatever) at a Marriott or similar. I'd love to avoid that, if possible, but seeking out better local spots. I see that there's another Lebanese Taverna in Annapolis - that'll do, I suppose. I like it well enough.

But I'd love to come up with a few options to suggest to her because I expect to make the trip with some frequency. Thanks!

Just went to the Old Stein Inn ... surprisingly pricey ... but oh man what a meal and experience! EVERYTHING we had was top notch.  Highly recommend.

I went there in the summer of 2014 for my husband's birthday. I won't pretend to be a connoisseur of German food (and I have to admit at this point I don't even remember what I had -- maybe schnitzel?), but I enjoyed myself. The patio was a great place for a meal on a temperate summer night -- they had an oompah band.

Has anyone been here more recently? Recommendations on what to order?

I haven't, but I did find this:

Sep 4, 2015 - "Dining Out: Dream To Showcase Best of German Cuisine and Beer Lives On in Old Stein Inn" by Terra Walters on capitalgazette.com

I saw picture #4 in that piece, the Kassler Ripchen, and immediately thought it resembled the ham dish I had at Schmarnkerl Stube back in Feb, 2011, and sure enough, even though the name is slightly different, it is (mine was called Kassler Riperl, and while it's called "pork," it's essentially a really good piece of ham (which is, after all, pork) - how many times do you get a really nice piece of ham for dinner these days in a restaurant?)

Does anyone know the difference between "Ripchen" and "Riperl?"

Does anyone know the difference between "Ripchen" and "Riperl?"

I could be wrong, but after having lived quite a few years in Germany, I believe it's just a difference in regional dialect.  Charlie, the owner of Schmankerl Stube, is from Bavaria.  The original owners of Old Stein Inn appear to have been from Rheinland Pfalz.  So, it's the same thing, just called something slightly different based upon geographic origin.

Well we went to the Old Stein Inn before your replies but thank you, will keep that information in mind for the next visit. We split a pretzel for an appetizer. Nice texture and taste but smaller than expected for $8. I enjoyed the chicken schnitzel with spätzle and applesauce (substituted applesauce for their red cabbage). Nothing wrong with the red cabbage... I just tried it a few years ago, and while good, my mother's version is much better. Almost everyone else at the table ordered the sauerbraten. Did not get a chance to try the sauerbraten but everyone said they liked it. They have a very nice draft and bottled beer selection.

Surprisingly they did not offer apple strudel or apple cake for dessert. I had the dessert special of the day, a belgian waffle with ice cream, hot fudge, and butterscotch -- very tasty.