Keren Restaurant, Eritrean at 18th Street and Florida Avenue at the Southern Tip of Adams Morgan

I see that it has been mentioned on dr.com a few times but no topic devoted to it if I am searching correctly -

Keren, at the bottom of Adams Morgan (18th and FL, technically 1780 Fla. Ave. NW), is a smallish Eritrean restaurant.

Eritrea is next to Ethiopia, and the cuisine is similar to Ethiopian but with more seafood (having greater coastal access) and apparently with somewhat more Italian influence in cuisine for historical (read: occupation) reasons.  I say these things as though I am an expert, but I am not.

I have only been to this restaurant once, for lunch yesterday, but loved it.  There is a "breakfast, all day" and a "not breakfast, all day" menu.

What I had was a big bowl of ful (long-cooked fava beans) with sardines and peppers, delicious, served with crusty bread.  (I believe that injera is available if you prefer).  If you are hungry, get the #20 on the breakfast menu - a big plate with some ful, some eggs, and some kicha (chunks of bread, fried I guess with spicy sauce).

Inexpensive, friendly and delicious.

I am told that the proper coffee service is great, but requires some time (I was told yesterday that it would take a bit more than a half hour to prepare - I don't know what that entails, but will find out next time with better planning.)

• Like 1

I see that it has been mentioned on dr.com a few times but no topic devoted to it if I am searching correctly -

Keren, at the bottom of Adams Morgan (18th and FL, technically 1780 Fla. Ave. NW), is a smallish Eritrean restaurant.

Eritrea is next to Ethiopia, and the cuisine is similar to Ethiopian but with more seafood (having greater coastal access) and apparently with somewhat more Italian influence in cuisine for historical (read: occupation) reasons.  I say these things as though I am an expert, but I am not.

I have only been to this restaurant once, for lunch yesterday, but loved it.  There is a "breakfast, all day" and a "not breakfast, all day" menu.

What I had was a big bowl of ful (long-cooked fava beans) with sardines and peppers, delicious, served with crusty bread.  (I believe that injera is available if you prefer).  If you are hungry, get the #20 on the breakfast menu - a big plate with some ful, some eggs, and some kicha (chunks of bread, fried I guess with spicy sauce).

Inexpensive, friendly and delicious.

I am told that the proper coffee service is great, but requires some time (I was told yesterday that it would take a bit more than a half hour to prepare - I don't know what that entails, but will find out next time with better planning.)

Couldn't agree more. Staff is awesome, food is some of the best Ethiopian/Eritrean I've had in DC, and the prices are absurdly low. That ful is easily two meals and is under $7; tough to beat that. FWIW, I live a block from Ethiopic and still hit up Keren way more often.

Cheers!