The Don Rockwell Diet

DonRocks

Only those who know me the best will understand why I'm writing this.

I just invented a diet, literally while working on a Beethoven Sonata.

From this point forward, every single calorie I consume will be written about on donrockwell.com.

That's it. That's the Don Rockwell Diet.

• Like 4

Only those who know me the best will understand why I'm writing this.

I just invented a diet, literally while working on a Beethoven Sonata.

From this point forward, every single calorie I consume will be written about on donrockwell.com.

That's it. That's the Don Rockwell Diet.

Have you eaten nothing since yesterday at 2:57 pm?!!??!

• Like 2

Have you eaten nothing since yesterday at 2:57 pm?!!??!

No, I posted twice today, and will write some more tomorrow (everything in its proper thread) - I write better in the mornings.

I *did* have cream and sugar in my coffee this morning, but I get a free pass when it comes to that!

• Like 1

No, I posted twice today, and will write some more tomorrow (everything in its proper thread) - I write better in the mornings.

I *did* have cream and sugar in my coffee this morning, but I get a free pass when it comes to that!

Coffee with cream and sugar... estimate 50-100 calories per mugfull. 3500 calories in a pound of fat divided by 50 to 100 calories = a pound of fat every 35 to 70 mugfulls.

Assuming daily consumption, in one year:

1 mugfull - between 5.2 and 10.4 pounds of fat per year

2 mugfulls - between 10.4 and 20.8 pounds of fat per year

So basically, if you don't put cream and sugar in your coffee and suddenly start, you'd gain several pounds in a few months. If you do put cream and sugar in your coffee and suddenly stop, you'd lose several pounds in a few months.

• Like 1

Well now that's a disappointment.  We were all looking forward to your ingestion diary, all in one easy-to-follow place.  Perhaps not to the Robert Shields standard, but still........

For real? I mean, it wouldn't take much for me to link to the posts in chronological order here, if that's what people really wanted; the important thing (as least for me) is to get the content in the right places.

Coffee with cream and sugar... estimate 50-100 calories per mugfull. 3500 calories in a pound of fat divided by 50 to 100 calories = a pound of fat every 35 to 70 mugfulls.

Assuming daily consumption, in one year:

1 mugfull - between 5.2 and 10.4 pounds of fat per year

2 mugfulls - between 10.4 and 20.8 pounds of fat per year

So basically, if you don't put cream and sugar in your coffee and suddenly start, you'd gain several pounds in a few months. If you do put cream and sugar in your coffee and suddenly stop, you'd lose several pounds in a few months.

Sigh  ...

I *do* appreciate all the tips, but I'm doing this for a multitude of reasons.

Also, don't forget that I get the Don Rockwell "Idiot Kit," and I drink that black; I merely ran out due to a miscommunication between me and Qualia.

This is going to be tough, guys, because it's so easy to get behind. One of the numerous reasons I'm going to try to do this, is so I don't "waste" any meals, wines, etc., i.e., I want everything to get posted - I want to share information with people, so everyone gets the most out of this community.

I started out "owing" two chefs write-ups, one from awhile back; the other from several days ago. I *must* get these done. Then, there are at *least* four new restaurants, and I don't want to do a half-ass job. Also, I plan to write *something* about each wine, liquor, or beer I drink (that will prevent me from mindlessly opening up, e.g., a Lite at 2 AM when I can't sleep without holding myself accountable by trying to figure out something interesting to write about Lite - no, if I have two, I'm not going to write two things; that will put people to sleep. Hey! There's the answer!). There really *are* a multitude of reasons I'm doing this, but the primary reason is because I want to help others.

I'll have some time tomorrow - I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a good-night's sleep. If it doesn't happen, I'll post in the lazy thread, and start over again - these past couple of days have been extremely busy. I've taken two recent trips to Arizona (where I went to both Pizzeria Biancos - the 2nd and 3rd times I've been this summer) and New Jersey which will barely be scratched, although, darn it, there's one bakery I *must* mention. And an Italian restaurant, too because it was a Beard nominee. I could write for twenty hours and still not catch up at this point (during those twenty hours, about two hours would be spent actually *writing*, and to paraphrase David Foster Wallace, the other eighteen would be spent biting my knuckle, worrying about not writing - if you're a writer and understand, raise your hand - I work *so hard* to make it look easy; God, if you only knew).

P.S. Meredith Bethune: I think the most important thing I've written during the past week was about Bí¡nh Ta, and that understandably got buried in this week's roundup. I tried to find your email, but couldn't. Given how much people love Bí¡nh Mí¬, that was a really important review - I hope others try it, and Meredith, if you see this, please write me at donrockwell@dcdining.com, so if necessary, I can email you my thoughts about the occasional (occasional and rare) piece of writing I think is particularly important and tell you why I do - you can't be expected to be a mind-reader, so I'll try and help you out if I can.

P.P.S. Does anyone besides me have trouble remembering whether it's Bí¡nh Mí¬, or Bí¡hn Mí¬ (it's even hard to *see*, right?)? I still have to actively think about it each time I write it - two tricks that are proving helpful are:

1) Think of "Ban Me" with the letters B-A-N in proper order.

2) Think "Vietnam is not Germany," i.e., the Autobahn is different than Bí¡nh Mí¬. If you need a visual, picture Kraftwerk chowing down on the sandwiches.

Both of these work, but I'm still at the point where I need to think about them - however, it's *finally* becoming locked into my meager noodle.

Cheers,

Rocks

• Like 2