National Bohemian Beer, aka Natty Boh

DonRocks

Alonso's dates back to the 30's??   Wow.  I ate and drank there in the 70's.  Pizza i recall, but not the burgers.  TV's I recall, and what was then more commonly known as National Boh, not Natty Boh.  Ahh, National Boh!!!   In the late 70's one of the cheers at old Baltimore Memorial stadium was "C'mon Lowenstein, hit the National Boh sign"   It would roar out of the drunken miscreants in section 34.  And by the way, a cold National Boh, or Natty Boh is far tastier in a hot ballpark than sitting at Alonso's or anywhere else.  Aside from a hot ballpark setting its a pretty lousy beer at least imho.   :)

More on Natty Boh

The DC craft bartenders have discovered a new industry drink of choice, as first reported 1 1/2 years ago by Jessica Sidman while sitting at Old Ebbitt and discussing industry trends with Derek Brown.   Late at night after the bars have closed the industry will gather for shots of Oh and Boh, or a shot of Old Overholt and a Natty Boh.

The two discussed the evolution over the years of industry drinks late at night;  Irish Mist, GM, Jameson's and now an Oh and Boh.

Oh and Boh:  That is sort of funny, interesting, and ironic, all rolled into one.  Double O or Old Overholt is one of those few inexpensive ryes that are also acceptable, good, or a reasonable standard.  And cheap.  Probably $17/18 in the district for a bottle with 25 ounces (750 ml).  Sometimes less expensive.  Natty Boh, as its generally called now (possibly excepting places like Dundalk, MD), a light inexpensive, tasteless unremarkable beer.

So the craft bartenders are killing late nights, yakking, socializing, seeing old friends with a very inexpensive combo that is neither "crafty" or expensive.  Jeez, Boh on tap and a shot of Double Oh has to cost less than $1.50.  Meanwhile I bet those industry vets are laying at least a couple of $$ or more per tip to their brethren hosting them while behind the rail.  Who knows what they get charged during "industry hours".  (I don't).

In any case the industry vets who are mixing exotic tasty cocktails with the finest ingredients (at pretty high prices) are winding down after long shifts on their feet with the most basic of drinks...

Natty Boh/Old Overholt.  It doesn't get more basic.  But one, two or three of those helps you get to sleep.

More on Natty Boh

The DC craft bartenders have discovered a new industry drink of choice, as first reported 1 1/2 years ago by Jessica Sidman while sitting at Old Ebbitt and discussing industry trends with Derek Brown.   Late at night after the bars have closed the industry will gather for shots of Oh and Boh, or a shot of Old Overholt and a Natty Boh.

The two discussed the evolution over the years of industry drinks late at night;  Irish Mist, GM, Jameson's and now an Oh and Boh.

Oh and Boh:  That is sort of funny, interesting, and ironic, all rolled into one.  Double O or Old Overholt is one of those few inexpensive ryes that are also acceptable, good, or a reasonable standard.  And cheap.  Probably $17/18 in the district for a bottle with 25 ounces (750 ml).  Sometimes less expensive.  Natty Boh, as its generally called now (possibly excepting places like Dundalk, MD), a light inexpensive, tasteless unremarkable beer.

So the craft bartenders are killing late nights, yakking, socializing, seeing old friends with a very inexpensive combo that is neither "crafty" or expensive.  Jeez, Boh on tap and a shot of Double Oh has to cost less than $1.50.  Meanwhile I bet those industry vets are laying at least a couple of $$ or more per tip to their brethren hosting them while behind the rail.  Who knows what they get charged during "industry hours".  (I don't).

In any case the industry vets who are mixing exotic tasty cocktails with the finest ingredients (at pretty high prices) are winding down after long shifts on their feet with the most basic of drinks...

Natty Boh/Old Overholt.  It doesn't get more basic.  But one, two or three of those helps you get to sleep.

Ever seen a chef eat?

If you have, you'll know why they aren't restaurant critics. :lol: <--- That will probably piss a few people off, but it's true.

As a native Baltimoron, I am the proud owner of a full can from the last production run they made at the Heileman brewery.  I plan to crack it open if the O's ever win the Series (and probably make a face after the first sip and then pour the rest down the drain!)

Boh still serves it's purpose as my crab beer.  It's pretty much the only time I drink it, but when eating crabs I usually always drink it.

• Like 1

As a native Baltimoron, I am the proud owner of a full can from the last production run they made at the Heileman brewery. 

Impressive.

I plan to crack it open if the O's ever win the Series (and probably make a face after the first sip and then pour the rest down the drain!)

Either Angelos will have to have exited or the O's will have overcome his miserableness in a streak of luck and talent.

Boh still serves it's purpose as my crab beer.  It's pretty much the only time I drink it, but when eating crabs I usually always drink it.

It is a damn good crab beer, come to think of it.  Summer, heat, newspapers, spiced crabs, mallets, finger licking good and boh.  It is an excellent combination.