dr.com "Fit For Summer" Challenge

bilrus

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, let's do it. I'm in. Details tomorrow - feel free to post ideas...
My idea -- going to the Redskins game and not consuming 3/4 of the tray of cupcakes. Seriously, suite food sucks but those cupcakes are like crack.

I'm in -- the whole wildebeast look is out. I'm hopping on the fish bandwagon -- I love the stuff but routinely shun it for cow. And dessert is dead to me.

Perhaps we could have a contest of some kind -- biggest loser wins a gift certificate, something like that. I'd chip in. Would have to be on the honor system. A little competition helps, sometimes.

Hey it's your altar of dead pig and ooey-gooey cheese I happen to worship at... :P Can I blame you for the 15 pounds I'd like to lose?

Weight 12/31/2006 203#

Goal 190#

I think its put up time for all of us who have been worshipping at the altar of the dead pig (or the altar of fat & sugar or whatever your persuasion currently is) too frequently.

Okay dudes, here are the rules:

The goal is to lose 10% of your body weight by Memorial Day Weekend - Friday, May 25th.

That's 2% a month, which is both an attainable and meaningful reduction.

Between January 1st and January 3rd, take your weight on each day, and take the average of the three days. That will be your baseline weight. (I'm figuring everyone will be a salty blotto on January 1st, and will begin to lose fluids by January 3rd, so the average of the three days is probably something close to a "true" weight).

If you're 150 pounds, that's 3 pounds a month for a total of 15

If you're 200 pounds, that's 4 pounds a month for a total of 20

etc.

I couldn't care less what you weigh on February 12th or April 6th - you'll have up weeks and down weeks. But if you've lost 10% by Memorial Day, you've maintained the program long enough so that you've probably successfully changed your lifestyle, which is really what you should be shooting for.

Email me your 10% figure (which I will keep in confidence), and send me progress reports as time goes by. I'll assign everyone a number and maintain one post per person, keeping track of their progress.

And I'll take everyone out to dinner in June who successfully meets their goal. (Nothing major, but I don't mind springing for a small celebration - if 50 people sign up, I reserve the right to modify this!)

I guess I'm supposed to say "check with your doctor before embarking on any weightloss program," so I insist that everyone does this under medical supervision. In other words: I ain't responsible if ya keel over! :P

Get me your 10% baseline number sometime during the first week of January, and if you're out of town and don't see this posting for a few days, get them to me when you can. I'll be posting by the number I assign you for your privacy, not by screen name (if you want me to include your screen name so people can "cheer you on," just let me know).

Let the games begin.

Rocks

Weight 12/31/2006 203#

Goal 190#

I think its put up time for all of us who have been worshipping at the altar of the dead pig (or the altar of fat & sugar or whatever your persuasion currently is) too frequently.

My altar is wine (but in vino veritas, right?). Usually have a glass each night, which is enough to affect me, since I'm petite. But I fear I may be developing a "wine belly" if there is such a thing. :P

Hey Don, I don't want to lose 10% of my body weight, but if I cut down on the wine and vanilla pudding, can I join?

Hey Don, I don't want to lose 10% of my body weight, but if I cut down on the wine and vanilla pudding, can I join?

Sure, just send me your goal sometime in the next week.

Confidential to the member who just quit smoking: If you make it to Memorial Day, you can come too.

Well for anyone who is interested in the Pike's Peek 10K or just running training in general...

1. Register for the race at Pike's Peek. Pike's Peek is a big, popular race down Rockville Pike. The bigger they are the more fun, and less embarassing. It's also not very hilly. I sign up for races, because they really motivate me to train instead of putting it off.

2. Depending on your level look at these training programs... Novice or Beginner. If you do more than they suggest you're probably familiar with most of these things anyway.

3. If there's enough interest, I'll schedule some nice and easy training runs. Due to health reasons, I'm pretty slow so don't feel bad.

Back when I was training more, I was able to maintain my weight and eat pretty well. It's a satisfying goal, and it also gave me a stronger immune system. Blah blah blah, everything else a doctor would tell you about cholesterol, heart disease, etc.

I also know that a lot of folks tend to have knee problems from running. That might be attributable to the wrong sneakers. But I would encourage you to look into it.

Hey it's your altar of dead pig and ooey-gooey cheese I happen to worship at... :P Can I blame you for the 15 pounds I'd like to lose?

So its your eating that is driving my needle on the scale?!? After all how many calories can there be in just tasting things?!?!?!? Its like broken cookies... right?

I'm in. I'm using Weight Watchers (it's the only thing that keeps me paying attention to what I eat) and I'm going to try the novice running program that synaesthesia recommended. I hope it's okay to do it on a treadmill!

I'll also do the $10 to SOS for any lb below my goal weight loss. Great idea, Scott.

Confidential to the member who just quit smoking: If you make it to Memorial Day, you can come too.
I'm doing both.
Don, I am also putting my money where my mouth is. For every pound I am under my goal (if I am) I will donate $10 bucks to SOS.
Great idea Scott. I'm in for that too.

I am in.... Though my goal is more than 10%, that is where I will start. In addition, any $20 dollar events that I am involved with will have a low fat/ health options.

Don, I am also putting my money where my mouth is. For every pound I am under my goal (if I am) I will donate $10 bucks to SOS.

How about starting with $10 for every pound lost period?

A few years ago, I started taking more interest in what I eat when I went for my first physical in decades and weighed in at almost 210 with blood pressure through the roof. Having adjusted my diet (i.e. no more McD's) I quickly lost 20 pounds and have been stuck at about 190 for the last couple of years. I've already started doing more cardiovascular exercise and am well on my way to 185. I'm hoping for 170 and this will be a good spur.

PS- A combo of meds and weight loss and exercise put my last bp at 128/70. :P

To those who think you don't need to take a three-day average: You do. Even if you know your target goal is to lose 14 pounds, you need to be sure what your starting weight is - is it 138, 140, or 141? Your weight today (January 1st) is probably artificially high by a couple of pounds. It makes a difference in reaching that final number, and I'm not going to let you cheat by starting from a salt-inflated baseline. So get me those figures on-or-after January 3rd. Doesn't matter when, as long as it's in the first week or so in January.

To those who think you don't need to take a three-day average: You do. Even if you know your target goal is to lose 14 pounds, you need to be sure what your starting weight is - is it 138, 140, or 141? Your weight today (January 1st) is probably artificially high by a couple of pounds. It makes a difference in reaching that final number, and I'm not going to let you cheat by starting from a salt-inflated baseline. So get me those figures on-or-after January 3rd. Doesn't matter when, as long as it's in the first week or so in January.
I had the stomach flu starting on the 26th and lasting through Saturday. I'll have to spend the next three days climbing back up to my pre-I-vomitted-it-all-out weight!

OK, this is the perfect solution to my irrational theory that reading these boards actually causes me to gain weight.

The challenge sounds like a blast -- and, bonaire, I've worshipped at the WW altar in the past, so if you want any points advice, I'm happy to share.

I'm in too. Moving to a place with crappy produce, no farmers markets, and a job that has me on the road 3 days a week has taken a toll. I feel like a slug.

*I will be giving myself a week off when I come to DC at the end of January.

I'd be cheating terribly to join this, as the +1 and I have been actively on Weight Watchers since the summer. We've each dropped about 20% of our respective body weights (although I'm only about 1/3 to goal), so I know the kind of loss Don is talking about is doable - even without the exercise component, about which we've been woefully slack thus far.

I can't imagine how much harder this lifestyle change would've been if we weren't teetotallers, though, so my hat goes off especially to the oenophiles who are just beginning their efforts. :P

Here's to a happier and healthier 2007 for all of you and yours!

Edited to add:

Don himself has spoken, so I guess I'm in!

Is there a particular charity we might want to focus on for our group donation come Memorial Day?

I feel like Richard Simmons. Where are all the GUYS?

:P

bilrus

ferhat

deangold

scott johnston

al dente

me

and now ustreetguy.

I think mdt is probably excused from this one, we wouldn't want him to blow away.

:P

bilrus

ferhat

deangold

scott johnston

al dente

me

and now ustreetguy.

I think mdt is probably excused from this one, we wouldn't want him to blow away.

Are you kidding? I am not in any danger of blowing away.

I'm in.

cjsadler trained for his first 10K using the Hal Higdon 10-K novice program. There are also intermediate and advanced options as well as a training program for walkers.

I'm in. Training for that 10K helped (the Higdon program is pretty doable... and believe me, I hate running), but I still have quite a bit of weight to lose and need something to motivate me.