dr.com "Fit For Summer" Challenge

bilrus

So Don (as added incentive) will you be physically at the June winners celebration? That might be added incentive for some of us whom consider you a myth?

Stats will be close to 273#s. Goal at 10% = 27.3 (yes, with one more day to average).

I can't make any promises, but let's say I'm going to "lean" towards it.

Remember: there's no need to post weights/goals publicly; simply send me a PM, and I'll assign everyone a code. If you want your screen name mentioned as well, let me know, but if I don't hear anything, I'm sticking with anonymity. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to present this on the forums, and it should be fun, while at the same time protecting peoples privacy if they wish.

Cheers,

Rocks.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in, and have already started with another goal in mind: another 10K on 4/29. Preceded by a 40K bike ride. And a 1.5K swim. St. Anthony's triathlon. Peer pressure is a bitch, only this time it's pressure to not drink. I was doing good prior to 2 weeks ago, but the holidays put back a good percentage of what I had managed to take off post-Thanksgiving.

Okay, okay, I'm in, too.

However, my attitude towards dieting is similar to John Travolta's. I refuse to modify what I eat to any major degree even though I can think of at least 4 people who swear by Weight Watchers. It's the lack of significant exercise that is the principal cause of my undoing, at least, in terms of what I am able to control. Apparently, the vow to walk to all in-city sources of food is not enough.

I just lost one pound despite slathering dessert with whipped cream last night. I advise preparing untried recipes for dinner in the hopes that they'll be so unappetizing that you'll eat less.

Question: Might we dedicate a thread to documenting participants's most satisfying and delicious meals as a resource for planning menus and shopping lists?

I refuse to modify what I eat to any major degree even though I can think of at least 4 people who swear by Weight Watchers.

Portion control. I lost about 45 pounds over the course of two years by simply eating less of the same stuff I always eat. And it stayed off, too, until I became a Rockweiler.

Mr P lost 50 pounds in 6 months by taking this concept to an extreme.

As a physiologist friend says, it's all thermodynamics. Energy out must exceed energy in.

Me too.

I was planning to do this anyway, but a little bit of moral support from friends who may suffer from the same weaknesses :P can't hurt!

(eating my salad and drinking my water* as I type). Amen to what Porcupine said - that's the key.

* My tip - Make sure you're drinking your water EVERY day - get the 32 oz Nalgene or something similar, keep it at your desk, fill it up (at least twice a day) and drink up!

Get me your baselines in another few days (no rush) - make sure to take a three-day average so you know which weight you're starting from. I repeat: your screen name will not be associated with the code I give you, unless you want it to be (if you want it to be, just let me know)

Cheers,

Rocks

Question: Might we dedicate a thread to documenting participants's most satisfying and delicious meals as a resource for planning menus and shopping lists?
This is a great idea. Also, what about a thread on things you do to help. For instance, goldenticket's comment about water is key. Not only do you need to keep hydrated, but water is filling and calorie free. I used to slice a lemon into wedges and keep them in the freezer. Then I toss a couple into my water to keep it cold and add a little flavor.

Also, I have a huge sweet tooth and candy bars used to be my downfall. Now I keep minatures around and have learned (it took a while :P ) to only eat one or two when I am having a chocolate craving.

Plate size is also key for me. A serving of food looks a lot bigger on a smaller plate.

What else?

I have used WW a couple of other times to drop a few pounds, and it has worked wonderfully each time. I make sure to follow it religiously for a few days to get over the initial diet hunger issue. Then, I try to count the points, but even if I can't, I make sure I have my six glasses of water and five servings of vegetables each day. With all that water and those veggies, it is hard to eat too much more.

I have a good friend who has lost a 100+ on WW and when we travel, she always checks websites and prints out menus in advance. While there are often some changes once we get there, it is a lot easier to make good choices when you have looked at the menu when you aren't hungry.

We have also been known to go into a bar after a seriously chi-chi small portion, not enough veggies meal, and order salads and beer. You can often get a decent green salad in bars!

I have a good friend who has lost a 100+ on WW and when we travel, she always checks websites and prints out menus in advance.
http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html This website provides the points values for food from hundreds of chain restaurants. I often search them to see what might approximate what I might have elsewhere. Even if you are not following WW, it is a good resource to determine what might be the better option at different places - as it is often surprising. (I do find the website a bit creepy though).

Also, I have a huge sweet tooth and candy bars used to be my downfall. Now I keep minatures around and have learned (it took a while :P ) to only eat one or two when I am having a chocolate craving.

I swear by the Nabisco 100 calorie packs -- Chips Ahoy, Ritz, Honey Grahams, etc. They're great -- actually taste somewhat like the real thing and the cookie ones assuage my sweet craving....

I've only relatively recently had a weight problem, so I'm still new to the idea of restrictions -- and pretty resistant to feeling like I'm being told what to do and what to eat (even if I'm the one who's telling me!) -- but I would really, really love to get back to the Old Me! I did lose weight not on purpose once before (thanks to an evil, stalker ex), and when I thought about it, I realized that I really just only ate when I was specifically hungry and only until I wasn't hungry -- not until I was full. I also drank more water, which helped me feel less hungry, which...well, see above. I was also not eating at night as much -- probably nothing at all after about 9 pm -- and walking all the time everywhere. It helped me work through the ex situation in my head (what I was going to say in court, etc.), so I would go on 5-15-mile walks many weekends. Of course, this was in Chicago, where the lakefront is a walker's paradise. Any ideas where I can walk here where it's not too crowded but I won't get bored? Anyone in North Arlington feel like doing some strutting?

Others have mentioned this, but exercise really is key (particularly if you, essentially, want to keep eating what you already eat). I lost roughly 40lbs on WW and have kept it off for roughly 4 years. I don't eat weird fake food (e.g. no fat sour cream--BLECH), I make most calories count (for the most part, I don't bother with foods I don't really like or love, certainly not in the world of high point sweets/desserts), I practice portion control, drink a decent amount of water (I could use some help on this one of late), and I exercise regularly (ok, this used to be a LOT better). Yes, energy spent has to be greater than energy consumed, and there will almost certainly need to be some denying yourself foods. But I wouldn't be able to keep it off if it were all self-abnegation, and exercise gives me some leeway on my points.

I've emailed Don and I'm in (erm, extenuating circumstances have lead to a recent accumulation of pounds :D )--I'm psyched to be doing this with like-minded folks (not foodies, mind you :P )

I have a good friend who has lost a 100+ on WW and when we travel, she always checks websites and prints out menus in advance. While there are often some changes once we get there, it is a lot easier to make good choices when you have looked at the menu when you aren't hungry.

We have also been known to go into a bar after a seriously chi-chi small portion, not enough veggies meal, and order salads and beer. You can often get a decent green salad in bars!

It is so important to do your research! I am very careful about what I eat. I am thin and would like to stay that way (one reason why I adore cooking at home- you know what is in your food). But I also have several food allergies, so it is important for me to know what ingredients are used in most things. For example, I have to stay away from most commercially produced salad dressings- even fat-free dressings (soybean oil...why? who knows?). I can't eat anything at Dunkin Donuts. Nada. Even if I felt like gorging on crullers, the thought of the stomach pains alone would turn me away.

The most important thing you can do for yourself, in terms of losing and maintaining weight, is to recognize exactly what and how much of it you are putting in your mouth. Most Americans underestimate their daily caloric intake by around 1000 calories- that's almost a day's worth. I'd rather get that from a wonderful cheese plate or extra special dessert than a grande dolce cinnamon latte from Starbucks.

The most important thing you can do for yourself, in terms of losing and maintaining weight, is to recognize exactly what and how much of it you are putting in your mouth. Most Americans underestimate their daily caloric intake by around 1000 calories- that's almost a day's worth.

If you can be brutally honest about it, it really helps to keep a food diary.

Twenty people have gotten me their baselines so far. No rush - just get them to me over the next few days, and we'll have the official "unveiling" next Monday (and even then it won't be too late to join). A few people are preferring to use their screen name, but unless I'm specifically told that, I'm assigning a code name. Either way is fine.

I'm in--I hate being left out of anything! And the mere prospect of maybe, possibly meeting Don Rockwell in the flesh at some point in the future gives me the inspiration I need!

I'm determined to do this while eating "real" food--no fake fats or artificial sweeteners. I've already got my new exercise program in place in the form of my Dobe puppy <------------.

I'm in--I hate being left out of anything! And the mere prospect of maybe, possibly meeting Don Rockwell in the flesh at some point in the future gives me the inspiration I need!

I'm determined to do this while eating "real" food--no fake fats or artificial sweeteners. I've already got my new exercise program in place in the form of my Dobe puppy <------------.

I'm with you on this one. My late mother tried every fad diet in existence. She would lose weight but then gain it all back plus more. She ended up being extremely obese and don't want to go that route. I'm trying to fix healthier things at home, with the knowledge that the "unhealthy" stuff is in the restaurants we eat at. :P Plus, I have been pulling myself away from the computer and doing some serious walking around town.

Tonight I cut the tops off a bunch of beets - beet greens! healthy! yumm!! yay, me! then cooked them in bacon fat. :P

I am not off to a good start.

I did a variation of this. Made a batch of stock to aid the creation of healthy pan sauces to make boneless, skinless chicken breasts taste better. (To be fair, I'm the oddball who actually prefers white chicken meat to dark so this isn't a sacrifice.)

This left me with a fresh batch of schmaltz. Bubbe would roll over in her grave if I just threw the whole thing out. So I made an egg white omelet with shallots and spinach with a little of it. I tossed the rest to avoid temptation. :D

Of course, I'm doing a Palena roast chicken breast for dinner tonight and the potatoes get cooked in schmaltz. I figure this will be the first test of portion size willpower.

Just went for a run through Rock Creek to the P St. Starbucks (skim latte as my end incentive). Love going for long walks (not just on the beach :P ) but don't have a dog myself, so if anyone is looking for a fellow walker or someone to take their pooch out, let me know!

As for cooking veggies... this may not be gourmet, but I tend to just steam in the microwave or roast in the oven with a bit of olive oil and different spices. Also, a little low fat cheese can go a long way. I also will use chicken or veggie broth instead of oil if I am stir-frying or sauteeing- it allows the heat to spread evenly throughout the pan and imparts some flavor and moisture without adding any fat. Balsamic vinegar is also good like this on poultry, esp. once it reduces.

Oh! And how could I forget wine- wine is a wonderful way to add flavor without fat.

Tonight I cut the tops off a bunch of beets - beet greens! healthy! yumm!! yay, me! then cooked them in bacon fat.

1 tablespoon of bacon fat is three points on Weight Watchers. Not bad in the grand scheme of things, considering three points is the equivalent of a packet of Quaker Instant Oatmeal, or half a turkey sandwich.

Now, the question is whether the greens were cooked in one tablespoon of bacon fat, or three, or six. I know in only a few days I've become incredibly aware of the size of certain things, in a way I haven't been before. Haven't gotten to the point where I travel around with a kitchen scale yet but the one I have at home is getting quite the workout. Made some whole wheat pasta with goat gouda and carmelized onions that was out of this world. Two ounces of cheese is actually quite a lot, and spread out among four servings, not an unreasonable indulgence. Even when the sauce is made with fat left in the pan from frying strips of salami.

The exercise is the part I haven't gotten to, yet.

Also, a little low fat cheese can go a long way.

Love to tell you this: there is a ton of evidence that including 1-3 servings of FULL FAT dairy products leads to the best weight loss/maitenance results. Low Fat cheeses don't seem to help on weight loss or maintenance. THis is an incredibly well kow result in Europe but the food manufacturers in the US have done their best to push "Diet" products. THose who use diet soda lose less weight than those who don't. Just eat natural foods in moderate quantities. I have maintained 60 pounds of my weight loss since pre heart attack days and use no diet products whatsoever. Just moderation and exercise.

Love to tell you this: there is a ton of evidence that including 1-3 servings of FULL FAT dairy products leads to the best weight loss/maitenance results. Low Fat cheeses don't seem to help on weight loss or maintenance. THis is an incredibly well kow result in Europe but the food manufacturers in the US have done their best to push "Diet" products. THose who use diet soda lose less weight than those who don't. Just eat natural foods in moderate quantities. I have maintained 60 pounds of my weight loss since pre heart attack days and use no diet products whatsoever. Just moderation and exercise.

I'm sure it does. But I'm a little wary to try it in case of gaining weight (I don't need to lose).. I am also a diet coke fiend. But I've never drinken regular soda, anyway.

1 tablespoon of bacon fat is three points on Weight Watchers. Not bad in the grand scheme of things, considering three points is the equivalent of a packet of Quaker Instant Oatmeal, or half a turkey sandwich.
Yes, but 3 points is also:

1 cup of lentil soup or

1 cup cooked whole wheat spaghetti or

6 pieces of nigiri sushi or

1/4 cup hummus or

1/2 cup tuna (canned in water)

Not quibbling with what jm chen said, but just making the point that all of the above are going to do MUCH more to fill you up than 1 T of bacon fat :P . And if you're working with something like 22-28 points per day, that 3 points does become valuable if you want to have a glass of wine (2 points) or 2 cheese enchiladas (10 points), etc.

Not quibbling with what jm chen said, but just making the point that all of the above are going to do MUCH more to fill you up than 1 T of bacon fat. And if you're working with something like 22-28 points per day, that 3 points does become valuable if you want to have a glass of wine (2 points) or 2 cheese enchiladas (10 points), etc.

It's very true. That's what I'm liking about the WW system -- nothing is really off-limits, but you do have to keep constant track of what you're putting in your body, and making a series of trade-offs.

posting late, but i'm also in. I've been doing WW on and off for the past couple of years. It will be nice to share the results of healthy dinners with such sophisticated palates (in contrast to those on the WW site where every recipe consists of lean ground beef, fat free cheese, and cream of mushroom soup).

Tonight: Zuni roasted chicken (without the skin)

steamed asparagus

rice

for those counting, a very filling meal made very satisfying by the lovely flavor of the chicken. Damage: 7.5 points. :P

Okay, it's up. For now I've done the following:

1) Made it a subforum of Events and Gatherings

2) Made it a "read-only" forum. I don't wish to do this, but I don't want a million different posts showing up in the "View New Posts" section if this gets a lot of activity. If anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

3) Unless someone can think of a better idea, I'll post updates every couple of weeks. I haven't had time to think about this much (I'm a busy boy), so I may change my mind about this.

4) It's not too late to join. Just PM me if you wish to.

5) I ain't buying dinner for 46 people!

Cheers,

Rocks

Allrighty then.

There are 46 people signed up. The average desired weight loss looks to be about 20 pounds.

Let's call it 1000 pounds total.

Maybe money will help motivate. I pledge to donate 10 cents to Share our Strength per pound lost by anyone currently signed up in the challenge.

This actually looks tempting. I will consider. Will there be before-and-after bikini shots? Interested mostly in afters.

That could be another item in the DR.com store should we ever decide to brand: "DR.com's weight loss plan:

"Eat Your Heart Out, Keep Your Scales Proud."

1) Thanks, it looks good, I am glad there are others trying to lose as much as I am.

2) OK, maybe just let the participants post.

3) Is there a way we can post our own results, or make a new identy "biggest_DR_loser" and have one of us post them?

4) Great, we need more losers....I wonder if RW is getting in the way

5) Make it a 20 dollar Tuesday, we all pay for ourselves or

5a) Buy 46 pounds of Potatos, and we all meet at a 7-11 to microwave them or

5b) Have the washingtoniam or Post do a story on us and have them pick up the meal

Okay, it's up. For now I've done the following:

1) Made it a subforum of Events and Gatherings

2) Made it a "read-only" forum. I don't wish to do this, but I don't want a million different posts showing up in the "View New Posts" section if this gets a lot of activity. If anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

3) Unless someone can think of a better idea, I'll post updates every couple of weeks. I haven't had time to think about this much (I'm a busy boy), so I may change my mind about this.

4) It's not too late to join. Just PM me if you wish to.

5) I ain't buying dinner for 46 people!

Cheers,

Rocks

Surviving RW Tips

1) Drink water all day and order tap water when you get to the restaurant.

2) Try to decide what you want before you get there, make a healthy decision

3) Order all three courses; try to get fresh fruit for dessert.

4) Enjoy your meal, go for a walk afterwards

5) Try not to make too many reservations, it is ok to just order off the menu

6) Try to avoid cream based soups, as for sauce on the side, ask the wait staff for recommendations

7) Do not let the bread and butter stay on the table

8) Only eat half your entrée and take the other half home, or split a meal with someone if that is allowed

9) Try to compensate your nice meal with portion control and healthier options for the rest of the day

10) Do not starve yourself all day for the meal.

Be wary of the olive oil and if you must use it, keep a light hand....

It actually took me awhile to buy a bottle of olive oil because of the high fat content, though it is the monounsaturated fat which is good for you. Of course, very light hand on everything... but what do you suggest using instead? Actually last night i roasted some eggplant with salt, black pepper, garlic and some crushed red pepper... deeelish