Heather (Marathon)

Outing myself here. I had to drop out of any formal weight loss plan due to medication weirdness - some pills have to be taken on an empty stomach, and some with food or I get really ill. That said, I have been sort of playing along at home. Another six pounds gone so far - five days of walking non-stop in London helped.

For those of you that don't know already, I was successfully treated for thyroid cancer around this time last year. One of the preparations for treatment is a low-iodine diet. I'll be going back on that diet on March 27th in preparation for another round of blood tests and a whole-body radioactive iodine uptake scan to make sure that the cancer hasn't returned. This diet sucks ventworm nut: no dairy, fish, seafood, soy, nothing prepared (including restaurant food), and no seaweed products (carageenen, etc.). Basically, I can have nothing but meat, fruits, and vegetables prepared at home, and alcoholic drinks. It sucks, but should result in some excellent weight loss, if I don't make up for the calories with booze.

Basically, I can have nothing but meat, fruits, and vegetables prepared at home, and alcoholic drinks.

Wow, that sounds like a tough row to hoe. Enough so that the fourth category is really necessary to deal with only having the previous three.

Are you trying any new or exotic fruits and vegetables to relieve the boredom? Or do you go to a "food is fuel" place and just get a rhythm going with chicken and spinach, chicken and carrots, beef and spinach, beef and carrots, etc.?

Wow, that sounds like a tough row to hoe. Enough so that the fourth category is really necessary to deal with only having the previous three.

Are you trying any new or exotic fruits and vegetables to relieve the boredom? Or do you go to a "food is fuel" place and just get a rhythm going with chicken and spinach, chicken and carrots, beef and spinach, beef and carrots, etc.?

Eggs are also prohibited, but I can have bread as long as it doesn't have any of the other no-no ingredients in it, which pretty much guarantees that I have to bake my own. Last year I tried to get creative, but it just sapped my will to live, :o so I sucked it up and lived on salad, fruit, dried pasta, steak, calcium supplements, and red wine. I have to cook for my family, so it's tough make their meals and then something separate for me. It's only a month.

Thanks for the good wishes! I am hoping to drop another ten pounds. Once it's off it's pretty easy for me to maintain.

Eggs are also prohibited, but I can have bread as long as it doesn't have any of the other no-no ingredients in it, which pretty much guarantees that I have to bake my own. Last year I tried to get creative, but it just sapped my will to live, :o so I sucked it up and lived on salad, fruit, dried pasta, steak, calcium supplements, and red wine. I have to cook for my family, so it's tough make their meals and then something separate for me. It's only a month.
Phew! Giving up dairy products and eggs is tough, but I was previously under the impression that grains were also prohibited. What about nuts?

If rice, walnuts, etc. are fine, then basically you're going to be a vegan who eats animals with legs--even snakes if so inclined. I really think the impulse to learn more about Italian cooking is the way to go. I understand that even your Francophilic cohorts prepare risotto from time to time, so it's not as if you'd be betraying allegiances. There are Californian takes on Italian that would be perfect, too, though you can't take advantage of summer-time produce. Prep a whole lot of pizza dough to freeze in advance and make white pizza with thin potatoes, lots of onion, olives, basil...

Simple Middle-Eastern and Asian meals would be a good idea, too.

I'm so glad the restrictions are temporary. Can't imagine you'd have the energy to come up with menus during the process, so perhaps a few trips to the library now? I'm sure we can start a thread down in the Shopping & Cooking forum to help you along...

Phew! Giving up dairy products and eggs is tough, but I was previously under the impression that grains were also prohibited. What about nuts?

If rice, walnuts, etc. are fine, then basically you're going to be a vegan who eats animals with legs--even snakes if so inclined.

I can have nuts, and grains as long as I prepare them myself without added ingredients. Rice is off limits, for some reason.

Cook Italian, huh? I dunno. :o I got a low-iodine cookbook along with the rest of my info packet from the radiation doc. Maybe I will check it out.

I am looking forward to the resulting weight loss though. :lol: And I'm still walking as much as possible, because the fitter I am, the more energy I will have on the diet. At least they aren't taking away my meds this time.

My thoughts exactly.

Have you tried the orzo prepped like risotto approach? At least it is a change of texture and feel from other dried pasta and such a great vehicle for other flavors. Plus, each week will bring more good stuff at the farmers market to provide inspiration.

Eggs are also prohibited, but I can have bread as long as it doesn't have any of the other no-no ingredients in it, which pretty much guarantees that I have to bake my own.

Heather, ditto the best wishes on your tests...I'll be thinking of you. I'm happy to help out in any way I can if you need anything. Seriously. Maybe a weekend day of cooking up some meals?

I never would have thought my food allergies would give me an advantage, but since I am allergic to soy, carageenan, and so many other things, I may be able to help you out with some foods that you won't have to cook yourself! It's hard enough for me to keep track of all the food allergies for myself, so forgive me if I've suggested something that doesn't work for you. I do know that I routinely check the bread at every grocery store I go to...there are options at Trader Joe's, and even Giant, that use olive oil, cottonseed or sunflower oil, instead of soybean oil or butter, and not all have eggs. The "natural" or "organic" versions of the bagels and pitas I've found at Trader Joe's, and some of the fresh baked breads at Giant and Safeway have worked for me, as well as water buscuits and matzoh. I'm pretty sure Great Harvest Bread Company in Rockville may also have some breads that you'd be able to eat. Also, almost anything that is labeled no trans-fat will use canola, sunflower or other oil instead of soybean oil, if that helps you out--I've even bought shortening at Whole Foods that has no soybean oil. If you're ok with olive oil, simple roasted veggies will be an easy solution for your family that you can eat, too, but it sucks that you can't use sea salt. I'm envious though that you can eat garlic!

Here's a recipe that is very easy to make and is quite tasty--it is one of our go to recipes when we don't have a lot of time on a week night to prepare dinner. Ignore the fact that it's from Cook's Country, since you're not a fan of Chris Kimball :o . (I noticed from this website that only a certain type of molasses was Ok, but I'm not sure what kind it was---the free cookbook looks like it has some good options. I'm going to investigate it myself for some more ideas, especially since my MIL was recently diagnosed with gout and she needs to be on a low iodine diet, and low fat and low sodium are in order for the hubby.)

Spicy Glazed Pork Tenderloin

1/2 c pineapple juice

1/4 c juice from 2 limes

1/3 c packed light brown sugar

1 T molasses

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced

2 pork tenderloins (12-16 oz each) trimmed of silver skin

salt and pepper

2 tsp vegetable oil (we use grapeseed or canola)

1. Stir pineapple juice, lime juice, brown sugar, molasses, cumin, cayenne, and jalapeno in small bowl. Pat tenderloins dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook tenderloins, turning until browned on all sides, 5-8 minutes total. Reduce heat to medium, add lime juice mixture, and cook, rolling tenderloins to coat, until mixture is thick and syrupy and internal temp of tenderloin is 140 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 9-11 minutes.

3. Transfer tenderloins to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest until internal temp rises to 150 degrees, about 10 minutes. Cut tenderloins crosswise into 1/2" thick slices, arrange on platter, and pour glaze in pan over slices. Serve.

Squids, thank you so much for all the bread info! And I'm willing to overlook Chris Kimball's involvement in the pork recipe. It looks tasty.

We're going on a cruise (with kids and in-laws, I'll be drinking heavily...) and get back the day before I start the diet. The pork might be a good thing to have in the freezer in case we can't get to the store.

Thanks! I went out and bought some new jeans yesterday. That felt pretty good. And I treated myself to a tanning session today which improved my mood even further.

Is there any research on the effect of tanning beds on those trying to diet? I always have much less trouble losing weight in the summer.

Is there any research on the effect of tanning beds on those trying to diet? I always have much less trouble losing weight in the summer.

I have had better luck then too. If the tanning actually does work I wonder if the issue is something akin to seasonal affective disorder. They make those lights that simulate sunlight as a treatment. Maybe that could help with the diet?

I have had better luck then too. If the tanning actually does work I wonder if the issue is something akin to seasonal affective disorder. They make those lights that simulate sunlight as a treatment. Maybe that could help with the diet?

It may have more to do with our general biology. We're not that far removed genetically from other large mammals that fatten up for the cold winter and get lean again in the warmer months.

I always have much less trouble losing weight in the summer.
I have a much easier time staying in shape in the summer simply because I hate cold and hate gyms. In summer I can do all sorts of fun stuff and call it exercise. In winter I have to make deals with myself to either bundle up and go out or head to the gym.

It may have more to do with our general biology. We're not that far removed genetically from other large mammals that fatten up for the cold winter and get lean again in the warmer months.
Very true. I went for second session yesterday. It's amazing how it boosts my mood. And I got off the subway one stop early to get more exercise. :o

Laniloa, I hear you about the cold. I HATE winter.

I have a much easier time staying in shape in the summer simply because I hate cold and hate gyms. In summer I can do all sorts of fun stuff and call it exercise. In winter I have to make deals with myself to either bundle up and go out or head to the gym.

Maybe we should all move to Florida then.

Maybe we should all move to Florida then.
Just pick your part of Florida verrrrry carefully.

I find that I acclimate very quickly. When I lived in Hawaii the same summer-winter pattern happened. How can you not want to swim for your exercise when you live in Hawaii? Way too cold to get in the ocean in winter. I distinctly remember standing ankle deep one drizzly, gray February day in a full wet suit with hood trying to psych myself up enough to get in for a research dive. I stood there a very long time.

Down 6.5 pounds total. I've been feeling pretty good, but got some shitty news yesterday and medicated myself with ice cream, frozen Morningstar Farms corn dogs, and a bottle of wine.

We leave for a family cruise to Hawaii on Friday morning - curious to see how jet lag messes with my weight loss.

Another half pound, even with the corn dogs. :o I had to buy new shorts for our trip, and a new bathing suit. It's nice to buy new stuff because the old is too big, rather than the other way 'round. I may earn those Christian Louboutin espadrilles yet.

I'll be back 3/26, tanned, rested and ready. :lol: Curves has opened a Takoma Park location and I might check it out.

Thanks! It helped that I thought the food was terrible, and we spent most of our time on the beach instead of on the ship. And I drank almost nothing.

The buffets were the worst. It was very depressing watching already overweight people (and their overweight kids :o ) go by with heaping plates of fattening crap. I had a much better time in the sit-down restaurants. The food was still ordinary, but the portions weren't outrageous.

Today was the first day of the low-iodine diet. This is a description of the diet, and a list of the prohibited foods. My doctor is allowing me a very small amount of dairy per day, and i'm choosing to "spend" it on cheese.

Breakfast: Coffee. This morning was very busy, and I didn't have time to make anything, so I didn't eat until after 12 PM.

Lunch: I roasted a chicken with some kosher salt and olive oil, and had some veggies with it - the rest of the meat will make 2-3 more meals.

Snack: a handful of unsalted trail mix and an apple.

Dinner: pork chop sauteed in olive oil with a little wine to deglaze, steamed broccoli, and lentilles de puy, dressed with kosher salt, pepper, and olive oil* to go with it. The rest of the lentils will go in a salad with shallot, diced red pepper, and a very little bit of goat cheese.

*Since butter is off limits, I splurged on a small $25 can of excellent olive oil at Whole Foods. It's almost as good.

Those are sweet. But with all that weight that you're losing, it is time for you and the busperson to go shopping for clothes!!! I know you are waiting for the 10.5!
I am not getting drunk and going shopping with the busperson ever again. :o American Express and Scott would be very unhappy with me.

Another half pound. My smallest jeans are loose in the rear already, and my hairdresser noticed today that my face has slimmed down. And I have a pretty good tan, for March. :lol:

Today's menu:

breakfast: coffee, egg whites, toast, and a banana

lunch: apple, roast turkey wrap, water

dinner: seared pork chop, papaya salsa, roasted asparagus, roll with olive oil

lots of water

The diet is over, thank goodness, and my scan results were very good.

Not much on the weight loss front, just holding steady. Just before the scan I had to get shots of Thyrogen that made my feel hypothyroid (sluggish, puffy, tired) and consequently I've been on the couch for a few days. Once that wears off things will get back to normal. Thinking of joining a gym.

No new weight loss, but the thyroid blood test results that went with my scan were excellent, so no more treatment, Yeah!

My confident prediction is that my goal will be reached next week. After that I'll go for another 18 pounds. This dress is my incentive for the next 18. And maybe these shoes to go with it. :blink:

Fantastic news, Heather! At some whim or HH toward the end of the summer I hope to see you in that outfit. The shoes are fab.

Fantastic news, Heather! At some whim or HH toward the end of the summer I hope to see you in that outfit. The shoes are fab.
Thanks! Definitely "valet" shoes. :blink:

I'll be buying a bicycle once I get home from Charlotte. My goal is to ride 3 times a week at first.

No weight loss this week, unfortunately, but I have discovered a new lunchtime obsession: Bumble Bee lemon pepper tuna, and thai chili tuna. Both come in a foil topped 5 oz. single serving tub. Great with crackers or on a salad. 130 calories, 21 grams of protein.

Goal acheived as of the end of last week, but the scale this morning is up 1 1/2 pounds after a not exactly abstemious weekend. I'll be toeing the line this week and seeing where it gets me.

Had to buy new bras - has the weight loss had that effect on any other women? I'm not sure how I feel about that. :blink:

Had to buy new bras - has the weight loss had that effect on any other women? I'm not sure how I feel about that. :blink:

That definitely happened to me when I lost my weight. I was uncomfortable with it at first, being used to a certain "look" and thought I might appear disproportionate. It seems absolutely normal after a few weeks of wearing the bras that fit well. I had a girlfriend that always lost weight in the bust first. SHE was frustrated as her bra size got smaller, but everything else stayed the same. ;)

Hmm, let's try this again...

My metabolism has been controlled by an amazing variety of pills since my radioactive iodine treatment 18 months ago, but apparently some long-term effects have kicked in resulting in weight gain (among other symptoms). So essentially I have gained back almost half what I lost last year. My endocrinologist is working on balancing me out, and in the mean time I am joining the Takoma Park Curves, and will be walking there and back four days a week.

I do have the oh-so-tasty low iodine diet (no seafood, dairy, egg yolks, or commercially prepared foods) to look forward to in March. :(