bilrus (Defense)

I've really enjoyed some of the recipes you've posted and am impressed with your dedication. I realize that food journaling online may have become tedious to you, but I have been enjoying it.

Not to mention the fact that I remain curious about the resolution with the nutritionist...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really do appreciate all the support I've gotten both in this thread and via PM. It has been a big help.

It's been a combination of things that have kept me from being engaged the last few weeks. Weather and work are two big factors, but frustration (and a little embarassment?) are a part of it because the results I was getting don't seem in line with the effort I had been putting in. I wasn't terribly surprised when I gained a few pounds a few weeks ago since I wasn't working at it all that hard then, but even during the weeks when I have been 'on' I wasn't losing at nearly the rate that past diets would have led me to expect.

This is the first time I've really exercised hard and dieted at the same time. I've found that instead of doubling the positive effect, the exercise is hurting the weight loss efforts. I'm both considerably hungrier and I'm worn out and don't feel as up to cooking after working out. So I often end up eating too much of the wrong things. But even when I have gone stretches where I've been careful with the eating, the weight isn't really coming off. I do feel better doing my exercise so I don't want to give that up. And of course it would be counter-intuitive to do that.

I had my last session with my nutritionist last Thursday, so I am hoping that gives me a fresh start. I think for the time being I am going to try to take some of the good things I did learn from her and apply them to the Weight Watchers model. I want to get back to being committed to journaling - forcing my hand at weighing and measuring. I'm also looking at seeing a doctor who sepcializes in obesity treatment. We'll see how that goes

Anyway, in the meantime, I've lost most of the weight that I gained a while back. Back to 13 pounds down, which is 25% of my goal. Not where I'd like to be at this point, but at least I'm not still sliding.

Don't forget, Bill, that the increased exercise is adding muscle mass to your body. In the short run, this can definitely mean increased weight. But in the long run, this means increased metabolism. And since you're in this for the long haul, that's what counts.

If you know you've had a bad week, consider skipping getting on that scale. Unless negative results are a motivator for you, better to miss a couple of datapoints along the way, than to discourage yourself because of a tough week.

The change in your appetite should level off. I find that when I return to exercising after a few weeks off or step up my efforts, I'm ravenous for the first week or two. What works for me is to eat smaller more frequent meals until my appetite gets back to normal. 13 pounds is great.

As I mentioned above, I am going to try to count Weight Watchers points to see if that can help keep my on track. In my adjusted system, I allow myself 40 points a day and one day where I don't keep track of points). Part of the WW program is journaling, so here we go again...

Monday March 12th

• 1 Stonyfield Farms light smoothie (2 pts)
  • Turkey sandwich on wheat bread w 2 tbs/ mayo (11 pts)
  • 2 large deli pickles (0 pts)
  • 8 ozs Ethiopian stir-fried beef stew (16 pts)
  • 2 Flat Out whole grain flat breads (2 pts)
  • 2 100 calorie packages of cookies (4 pts)
  • 2 cups 1% milk (4 pts)

total = 39 points

post-33-1173746339_thumb.jpg

Bill, when I start getting more exercise it always takes me a while to figure out that I need more water/fluids. How many glasses of water/other fluids do you get every day? Remembering to drink enough usually decreases my appetite.

By most standards, water is never really a problem for me (unless you consider that under some guidelines someone at my wieght needs to drink something like 6 gallons a day :o ). I normally drink 5 cups every morning on the way to work, 7 or 8 cups at work, 3 or 4 at lunch and anywhere between 2 and 6 at home in the evening. I haven't really changed this with the exercise, although I do drink 2 or 3 cups at the gym too.

Maybe I really do need all that water. I feel all sloshy just thinking about it.

Part of the WW program is journaling, so here we go again...

Bile Rustle,

We want to hear about everything, regardless of whether you've had a good day or a bad day. If you feel like Hell one afternoon, and break down and have eighteen Snickers bars, then people want to read about it.

I hate to say it man, but as you go, so goes this entire forum. I don't have time to keep in touch with every single participant, so I'm channeling all my energy through you.

You're the leader here, and you're the role model, whether you like it or not. And if you think you're somehow falling short because you've "only" been losing five pounds a month ... think again.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I hate to say it man, but as you go, so goes this entire forum. I don't have time to keep in touch with every single participant, so I'm channeling all my energy through you.
No pressure or anything :o , but he is right (at least for me). You really helped me keep my eating interesting last round with your descriptions of dishes and especially your photos. I check in here daily to see if you've posted something interesting or otherwise. Once I get this job application mailed Wednesday morning, I'm jumping on the journaling band wagon.

5 pounds per month rocks!

Simple day to day. I had the exact same lunch as Monday - it must have really hit the spot. And I couldn't resist sitting out on the deck and grilling last night. And when was the last time you went to the grocery store and your impluse purchase was a bag of carrots and fat free dill dip?

Tuesday March 13th

1 Stonyfield Farms light smoothie (2 pts)

Turkey sandwich on wheat bread w 2 tbs/ mayo (11 pts)

2 large deli pickles (0 pts)

Carrots w/ 1/2 cup fat free dill dip (2.5 pts)

Grilled chicken breast sandwich on bun w/ 1 tbs mayo, lettuce and tomato(11.5 pts)

1.5 cups cereal w/ .5 cup 1% milk (7 pts)

total = 34 points

Today is my official no-count day on account of a final trip tonight to Firefly for Wabeck's cooking. But I am going to try to keep lunch to a minimum to save room and calories.

My home internets were broken this weekend. This seems to be happening more frequently since Comcast took over from Adelphia.

Here are a few days worth of journaling.

Thursday, March 14th

• Barbecue chicken salad (18 pts)
  • Carrots w/ 1/2 cup fat free dill dip (2.5 pts)
  • 6 ozs Ethiopian Beef Stir Fry (12 pts)
  • 1 flat out flat bread (1 pt)
  • 1.5 cups cereal w/ .5 cup 1% milk (5 pts)

total = 40.5 points

Friday, March 16th

• 2 California Rolls (9 pts)
  • 1 can Goya black bean soup w/ can diced tomatoes and 1 smoked pork chop (11 pts)
  • 2 100 calorie packages of cookies (4 pts)
  • 3 cups 1% milk (6 pts)

total = 34.5 points

Saturday, March 17th

• Grilled fish tacos w/ guacamole (14 pts)
  • 1 pacakge Totino's pizza rolls (11 pts) - yeah.. I know.. Haven't you ever had an irrational craving? Besides, look at my points total for today

total = 25 points

Sunday, March 18th

• 3 cups cereal w/ 1 cup 1% milk (10 points)
  • 8 ozs corned beef, trimmed of fat (14 pts)
  • 2 cup colcannon (mashed potatoes w/ sauteed onions and cabbage) (6 pts)

total = 30 points

So it turns out that I was pretty well under my points this week - aside fron that visit to Firefly on Wednesday - how many points in that bacon buerre blanc or foie gras sauce? Who knows and who cares.

And it turns out that I lost 1 pound this week. So not bad.

This has been a pretty unexciting stretch for me and my journal. No real interesting recipes to share. No interesting stories or observations. Most interesting thing that happened was being so beat from working out that I couldn't eat anything more than a big bowl of cereal. That's OK though - sometimes interesting is a code word for bad.

Monday, March 19th

• 6 steamed pork dumplings (9 pts)
  • 1 cup egg drop soup (1 pt)
  • 3 cups cereal w/ 1 cup 1% milk (10 pts)

Total = 22.5 points

Tuesday, March 20th

• 6 ozs grilled chicken kabob (5 pts)
  • 1/2 round of flat bread (3 pts)
  • 1 cup rice (6 pts)
  • 3 tbs yogurt sauce (6 pts)
  • 2 cups aglio e olio spaghetti - light on the olio (17 pts)

Total = 41.5 points

I thought this would be as good a place as any to update my progress on the fitness front and explain my absence from the dr.com discussions lately (if anyone is interested).

The Fit for Summer Challenge and my less than encouraging results forced me to look at the way I was eating and dieting and to re-evaluate my efforts both past and present at losing weight. as you can see, my last post here was in March as I slowly lost interest as I strayed further and further from my plan. Our discussions here about finding a nutritionist who was more attuned to the specific issues of those with large amounts of weight to lose led me to doing some research and deciding to start working with a Bariatric Physician.

The initial visit involved several tests to determine metabolic rate, body fat content, blood work for a number of different factors and a discussion about lifestyle and goals that all go into developing a customized plan. She took into account those factors and the fact that I do like to cook and still want to eat as well as I can.

The plan she has me on has several components. On the food end the plan is very low carb (virtually none), low calorie and low fat with lean meats (6-8 ounces at lunch and dinner), green (or other low carb) vegetables, occasional nuts and eggs and olive oil along with any seasonings or ingredients that don't add significant carbs. This is supplemented by protein drinks twice daily and occasional protein bars. On the medicinal end, I get a weekly B-12 shot to increase metabolism, potassium and multi-vitamins to replace what is being lost, another supplement to help reduce fat build up and increase function in the liver and an appetite suppressant. And of course, moderate exercise is a part of any diet plan. There is also going to be a gradual re-introduction of some things after a significant loss occurs.

If it sounds fairly extreme - it is. Although not as extreme as some of her patients who she has on strictly liquid diets. And it is a much more restrictive plan than an Atkins-type diet, avoiding high-fat or high-calorie foods and avoiding the "replacement" foods that Atkins made their money selling. It certainly isn't for everyone and it isn't designed to be.

I have always been skeptical of both liquid diets and low-carb diets like Atkins. But the doctor was able to explain to me in a meaningful way why this type of diet will work best for me - maintaining consistent blood sugar and insulin levels to avoid hunger and/or crashing energy levels.

Another aspect of getting my mind right for this has been trying to wean my way away from frequenting food boards as much as possible. That explains why I haven't posted here or any place else for the last month but I still do look more often than I'd like. It's tough to read about the great things people are eating and know that isn't on your plan and won't be for some time.

So far the results have been encouraging. In the four weeks since I first weighed in, I have lost 43.5 pounds.

It isn't all smooth sailing. I still want carbs. You'd be amazed how good something like even one measly Dorito tastes when you haven't had anything similar in weeks. I'm still having trouble getting my vegetables other than lettuce in. It is harder to eat out than you'd think without being one of those picky eaters we often complain about on here. But as time passes, the cravings become less and less and I am getting full more easily. I'm still working on avoiding boredom with the vegetables and slowly increasing the intensity and frequency of my activity.

But so far, so good.

Bill,

I've surely missed you around these parts but totally understand given the battle you are waging. 43 pounds is great! You should really be pleased with yourself. It sounds like your physician knows her stuff.

Have you tried Asian greens like bok choy or tat soi? I really enjoy them steamed or stirfried. Can you have sesame oil, even a drop or two perks things up (assuming you like the flavor of course).

Well thanks for keeping us posted. Don't torture yourself by coming around too much but do keep us posted, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Stephanie

;)

10 pounds a week? Holy crap. If you're not careful to reintroduce calories, you could evaporate entirely.

Congratulations. It's great that you're working with a physician, instead of with a trade paperback from the Safeway check-out. (I'm guessing long-term results are quite a bit better with the former than with the latter.)

As drastic as this diet is, it still isn't as drastic as surgery. I'm particularly glad you have found a nutritionist you can work with. Well done!

Hear hear! And while the procedure doesn't sound as drastic as surgery, Bill's loss rate so far is right in the same ballpark*, which is simply amazing to me. We're rooting for you, Bill!

* happened to catch a Scientific American Frontiers rerun last week in which they track Alan Alda and a group of volunteers through roughly six months of various weight-loss plans, from diets to calorie counting to gastric bypass surgery

If you're not careful to reintroduce calories, you could evaporate entirely.

I've still got a way to go until I get there. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement and positivity from everyone. So far it hasn't been too tough actually, although I know that will come eventually. Right now I'm having more fun with it than anything.

A few people mentioned weight loss surgery. This is something that I have seriously considered and have met with a few doctors on it. A pretty convincing case can be made that it is the best, if not only, way to guarantee a large weight loss and keep it off. And in fact, the more I learned about it the more discouraged I was about my possibilities for success losing weight in a more traditional way. I'm doing this diet as a sort of "last effort" to avoid going that final step of taking a pretty drastic measure while I am still probably the healthiest person of my weight any of my doctors has ever seen.

My goal is to lose as much as I can with this and attempt to keep it off as long as I can. If I don't reach a suitable weight or I start to significantly regain, then I'll probably revisit surgery. If nothing else the diet I'm on now would go a long way towards getting approved for the surgery and any weight you lose pre-surgery helps enormously in improving the chances for success of the surgery.

But so far, I'm liking this route much better.

I've still got a way to go until I get there. ;)

Yeah, but that's a great start! Congratulations! And thanks for the updates--you are an inspiration and I appreciate hearing how you're doing. Interestingly, PBS (HD) repeated a show this evening about weight loss on Scientific American Frontiers. It's from 2004, but you may be able to view it online here.

I have always been skeptical of both liquid diets and low-carb diets like Atkins. But the doctor was able to explain to me in a meaningful way why this type of diet will work best for me - maintaining consistent blood sugar and insulin levels to avoid hunger and/or crashing energy levels.

Maintaining consistent blood sugar levels by avoiding blood sugar swings (and perpetuating the problem with eating high glycemic carbs) is a very smart approach. It rarely gets mentioned how this effect is like feeding a fire--causing more insulin to be produced in the body, which will directly cause one to convert the excess sugars and store them as fat. This is because the body can only convert into glycogen, and store, a very limited amount of sugar in the liver.

You've been so supportive of others during the "fit for summer challenge." Now it's your turn to reap the benefits of everyone encouraging you!

Bill, that's fantastic! I'm really pleased for you and impressed your dedication. While I certainly understand the need to stay away from the boards as a component of this, I hope you will occasionally keep us updated. I would love to keep cheering you on.

It is harder to eat out than you'd think without being one of those picky eaters we often complain about on here.
I hope this experience gives you some empathy for all 'those picky eaters.' There are lots of different explanations for why somebody is a picky eater, and it's tough when everybody else decides they need to judge it/give you feedback on it/complain about it, etc.

So far the results have been encouraging. In the four weeks since I first weighed in, I have lost 43.5 pounds.

Well, it's one month later and I've lost another 24.5 pounds for a total of 68. And about 6 inches in my waist.

Strangely enough, I've lost exactly six pounds 6 pounds each and every week since the first week (aside from one week where my body rebelled and held onto all but .5 pounds). Not on average - down 6 pounds, down 6 pounds, down 12 pounds after two weeks, etc.

Some of the challenges I wrote about in my last update are becoming habits. I'm getting more creative with meats. I'm really not craving carbs that much. I'm still working at vegetables but have been getting more and more variety in. Once winter comes around that is going to become a challenge again. I'm getting more exercise, even in the hot weather.

Dining out is still tough and I find myself more grumpy and disagreeable than I'd like when we are looking for a place to go. I like eating out so I don't have to cook and for the change of pace, but it is losing some of the joy it brought me in the past. Tapas and mezze places seem to be my best bets.

And I've gotten over the hump that reading the food boards doesn't prove to be much of an obstacle for me any longer.

Or...

Bill, now you know what numbers to play in the lottery, I suppose. Congratulations!

While I'm sure most of us would agree that the idea of forcing restaurants to list calories is ridiculous, I wish more moderately priced places would have at least one Hollywoodized update on the Dieter's Plate that wasn't as obvious as a canned peach half w cottage cheese. A grilled piece of salmon on a bed of greens. Heirloom tomato salad plated w ceviche and jimaca slaw. Cantaloupe wrapped alternatingly w prosciutto and thin oblong strips of drained, transparent, crunchy cucumber.

A few people mentioned weight loss surgery. This is something that I have seriously considered and have met with a few doctors on it. A pretty convincing case can be made that it is the best, if not only, way to guarantee a large weight loss and keep it off. And in fact, the more I learned about it the more discouraged I was about my possibilities for success losing weight in a more traditional way. I'm doing this diet as a sort of "last effort" to avoid going that final step of taking a pretty drastic measure while I am still probably the healthiest person of my weight any of my doctors has ever seen.

My goal is to lose as much as I can with this and attempt to keep it off as long as I can. If I don't reach a suitable weight or I start to significantly regain, then I'll probably revisit surgery. If nothing else the diet I'm on now would go a long way towards getting approved for the surgery and any weight you lose pre-surgery helps enormously in improving the chances for success of the surgery.

But so far, I'm liking this route much better.

I recommend reading the section on weight loss surgery in "Fat Politics" by J. Eric Oliver (he makes something of a case against it). In fact, I think anyone would find the whole book to be very interesting. It's a very contrarian take on all things weight related, but it is quite convincing on a number of points.

Anyway, it's great to hear that you're doing so well with losing weight!

Well, it's one month later and I've lost another 24.5 pounds for a total of 68. And about 6 inches in my waist.

Strangely enough, I've lost exactly six pounds 6 pounds each and every week since the first week (aside from one week where my body rebelled and held onto all but .5 pounds). Not on average - down 6 pounds, down 6 pounds, down 12 pounds after two weeks, etc.

Some of the challenges I wrote about in my last update are becoming habits. I'm getting more creative with meats. I'm really not craving carbs that much. I'm still working at vegetables but have been getting more and more variety in. Once winter comes around that is going to become a challenge again. I'm getting more exercise, even in the hot weather.

Dining out is still tough and I find myself more grumpy and disagreeable than I'd like when we are looking for a place to go. I like eating out so I don't have to cook and for the change of pace, but it is losing some of the joy it brought me in the past. Tapas and mezze places seem to be my best bets.

And I've gotten over the hump that reading the food boards doesn't prove to be much of an obstacle for me any longer.

Welcome Back! And congrats on your great progress :angry:

Another monthly report:

Down another 21.5 this month for a total of 89.5 in three months.

The biggest thing I've noticed this month is my energy level rocketing off the charts. I'm finding myself going around the house looking for projects. Next up - re-tiling the fireplace surround.

Is it because of the weight loss or the drugs and supplements? Got me, but who cares.

Another monthly report:

Down another 21.5 this month for a total of 89.5 in three months.

The biggest thing I've noticed this month is my energy level rocketing off the charts. I'm finding myself going around the house looking for projects. Next up - re-tiling the fireplace surround.

Is it because of the weight loss or the drugs and supplements? Got me, but who cares.

Next time you go to the gym, pick up two 45-pound dumbbells and walk up a flight of stairs with them.

That's what you're no longer carrying around with you - it's because of the weight loss.

Way to go, Bill!

The spate of activity in the Fit for Summer forum today reminded me that it has been over a month since my last update.

As of this monring I'm down 25.5 since my last post a little over a month ago and 115 since the middle of June. I've lost 10 inches in my waist and have dropped two sizes in my shirts.

And it really isn't showing any signs of letting up any time soon. My pace has slowed a little bit - from 6 pounds a week for the first few months to more like four or five per week the last two months - but that is to be expected. In fact I'm surprised it has gone at this pace for as long as it has.

In 2001 I lost 115 on Weight Watchers, but it took me 15 months and I was only that low for one week before it stalled and started going up. I'm not ready for that to happen, so I've recommited myself and got back to exercising daily this week. Hopefully this keeps things in gear.

No good restaurant meals to report, but I'll take the trade off for a while longer.

As of this monring I'm down 25.5 since my last post a little over a month ago and 115 since the middle of June. I've lost 10 inches in my waist and have dropped two sizes in my shirts.

WOW! That's amazing stuff Bill! Kudos, dude...

Here's Bill next summer...

post-27-1192645971_thumb.jpg