Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

What Spiral Stairs says of the poritions on the tasting menu is accurate.  You can dine at a resaonable pace from the 5-course menu.  If you opt for the 9-course, go slowly, drag it out.

OK, I've not been yet, but have a reservation later this month for my birthday dinner. When I called to ask for a table at 6:00, I was told that the table was committed to another party at 9:00. On the advice of the reservationist I moved the start time to 5:30 (we like to eat early when we eat out).

My question is, will that be enough time for the 9-course menu? Or will we be limiting ourselves to the 5-course menu?

Not sure if I should try for another night. . . .

OK, I've not been yet, but have a reservation later this month for my birthday dinner.  When I called to ask for a table at 6:00, I was told that the table was committed to another party at 9:00.  On the advice of the reservationist I moved the start time to 5:30 (we like to eat early when we eat out).

My question is, will that be enough time for the 9-course menu?  Or will we be limiting ourselves to the 5-course menu?

You should be OK, 3 1/2 hours is a long time, no matter how slowly you eat. It you have the option or ordering any game, go for it. Chef Cathal seems to enjoy doing marvelous things with game.

OK, I've not been yet, but have a reservation later this month for my birthday dinner.  When I called to ask for a table at 6:00, I was told that the table was committed to another party at 9:00.  On the advice of the reservationist I moved the start time to 5:30 (we like to eat early when we eat out).

My question is, will that be enough time for the 9-course menu?  Or will we be limiting ourselves to the 5-course menu?

FWIW, I spent three hours on the five course menu. It really was eight offerings though, including a palate of 5 bite size apps, an amuse of soup, and a plate of sweets at the end after the cheese course and desert.

On our 5-course evening, we came in it just under 3 hours -- probably 2.75 hours. (I have to estimate because, by that time, the combination of food-based euphoria and wine pairing-induced lethargy had really kicked in.) And, while I didn't feel like we were hurrying, I didn't feel like we were taking our sweet time either. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, they seem to base the timing of the courses at least in part on your own timing. After the first couple courses, we realized we were wolfing them down like animals and we tried to slow down. It is really hard to slow down when it tastes so fricking good though.

You should be fine with 3 1/2 hours for the 9-course menu. We went back in May and were seated around 8:00 (maybe a little later because we had a drink in the bar) and were finished up by 11:30 (at latest). We not only did 9 courses but added the wine pairing too - maybe not the wisest choice on a Monday evening. :lol:

No matter - the meal was outstanding and will remain a fond memory of a special birthday celebration. :P

am i a ventworm yet???

Edited by goldenticket

It seems to be a DR.com evening at Eve. I went in at about 6:00 to thank Tami for walking my dog while I was out of town (and to have a glass of wine or so). Half way through my glass of wine, ustreetguy shows up. He had only been there once before, for the DR.com dinner. He dined at the bar on the veal sausage and the veal sweetbreads. I'll let him elaborate. Naturally, I had to have something so I ordered up the house-made roasted sausage on a bed of white beans from the bar menu. Always a good choice. While in the process of bailing out on ustreetguy and leaving him alone at the bar, I stopped to say good by to Meshelle and who do I run into at the door but Porcupine who says she is meeting Camille and Beau for dinner. I guess we will have to wait for them to report in on the rest of the evening.

It seems to be a DR.com evening at Eve.  <snip>who do I run into at the door but Porcupine who says she is meeting Camille and Beau for dinner.  I guess we will have to wait for them to report in on the rest of the evening.

ummm... pork belly confit. I'm in a Napa Valley Syrah/pork belly confit coma right now. Will report in the morning when senses resume normal functioning...

The Mrs. and I stopped by the bar at Restaurant Eve last night for a light(er) meal and a drink. IMHO, the perfect way to unwind after a long day.

We took two seats on the sofas in the bar, and enjoyed a drink: a wonderful glass of pinot noir for me (served, as always, at the perfect temp) and one of Todd’s outstanding cocktails for my spouse (something along the lines of a “Daize cocktail”). Given that we had both had sizeable work lunches, we opted to simply share some appetizers: ham & cheese sandwich, risotto, prawns -- all were outstanding and exactly what we were looking for. I think that this is really what makes Restaurant Eve so special: whatever mood you’re in or atmosphere you’re looking for, they can satisfy it; whether it’s the tasting room, bistro, or bar (especially at lunch). Anyway, I finished with a selection of cheeses (a triple creme, some piave vecchio, and carrigaline), while my better half chose something sweet. As I’m sure many of you can attest to (and perhaps the VIP guest of the restaurant that was present last night as well) we left having concluded a perfect evening.

Excellent dinner in the bistro last night with the Porcupines :lol: Just couldn't pass up the incredible olive oil poached tuna for starters (Beau had the yummy rabbit rillettes - smoother texture this time), followed by an excellent medium-rare seared duck breast (no sous vide here!!), with tiny cubes of fois gras and some of the best boudin noir you'll find -- not too dense and very nicely spiced -- hiding in the sauce. Agree with Porcupine on the wine -- great CA Syrah! (Thanks again Todd :P )

Edited by Camille-Beau

The Daize cocktail was pomegranate and lime muddled with sugar, and shaken with a citrus vodka and ice. The flavor was very subtle and not too sweet. Whoever invents the seasonal cocktails at Eve is a genius.

The highlight for me was the pork belly confit. It was amazingly rich, with a nice contrast between almost crispy meat and crisp but melting fat. Served with canellini beans and tomatoes, it was a prefect seasonal dish. The only way I got through the whole plate, though, was with the aid of a very bold yet balanced syrah that Todd chose for us. The wine was just acidic enough to counter the richness of the pork.

Unfortunately the wine got me slightly pickled, so I can't quite recall what kind of pastry the poached pear I had for dessert was served in, but I do recall that it had Scotch in it. Scotch! Not strong enough to fight with the pear, but just enough to enhance it. Whoever came up with that one is a genius, too.

A pity that the types of dishes served at Eve aren't quite up Mr Porcupine's alley, otherwise we'd be there a lot more often. Eve is one of those rare places where the concepts are inspired and the executions flawless.

The Daize cocktail was pomegranate and lime muddled with sugar, and shaken with a citrus vodka and ice.  The flavor was very subtle and not too sweet.  Whoever invents the seasonal cocktails at Eve is a genius.

That's it! Mrs. M. loved it. (I'm not much of a cocktail person, but I have to admit that it was pretty tasty).

I will fully admit that I am usually guilty of only patronizing restaurants that are Metro accessible – especially those along the Red Line from Bethesda to Gallery Place. That is about to change.

Last night, on one of those rare occasions when I actually take my car to work, I found myself at Restaurant Eve’s bar enjoying one of Todd Thrasher’s famous libations - the pickle “you have to really love pickles” martini. This concoction of pickle juice and fennel infused vodka topped with a mound of pickle air (I had to laugh when he served it to me) is a truly great aperitif (Sorry Rocks! I’m a fan). At first I was a bit scared that the pickle juice would just completely dominate everything, but all doubts were washed away as I took my first sip. There was truly a perfect balance of saltiness, sweetness and sourness, and the drink just made me hungry for more.

Perhaps it was the pickles (hmmm I sound pregnant :lol: ), but for some reason I ended up ordering two veal items - the Housemade Garlic Veal Sausage with Black Trumpets and Butternut Squash and the Pan Roasted Veal Sweetbreads with Rosemary Biscuit and Wild Mushrooms. Slices of veal sausage were carefully placed on a plate and then topped with lightly dressed micro greens and sticks of butternut squash. As delicious as this was, the sweetbreads for me were the star of the evening (even eclipsing the VIP sighting). This is no exaggeration, but this was the best sweetbread preparation I have ever had. Fanned out atop a bed of sautéed spinach, the lightly browned sweetbreads had a delicate meaty flavor and a tender texture more reminiscent of foie gras (okay – that probably IS an exaggeration, but hopefully you get my point) than of your usual organ meat preparation. If you don’t think you like sweetbreads, give these a try.

For dessert, the light and crispy apple fritters (dusted with sugar and served with a bowl of caramel sauce) were a wonderful ending to such a meat-intensive meal.

Finally on a service note, kudos to Todd, Tami and Ken for making this first-timer to the bistro feel like a long-time regular. Attentive (Todd actually remembered what I had to drink after the DR.com dinner) but unobstrusive, the staff obviously knows how to treat customers as well as each other. It’s just the kind of place that might just make me take my car to work a little more often.

Hello everyone!  We ate in the Tasting Room last Thursday evening.  Pics and review of our experience are available following the link.  We should have reviewed the DR board more fully and ordered mixed drinks!  Ah well, something to look forward to next time.

Tarting It Up: Restaurant Eve Review

Just read your entertaining review. We were there two days before you and ordered almost identical menus. I agree with you about the escolar: mind-blowing. I enjoyed the lobster creme brulee more than you though. (Did you get the "special instructions from the chef" about eating it? (Combining all three components onto every forkful?))

(And don't worry too much about the MPRE! The curve is, indeed, generous. But if anxiety about the MPRE got you into the Eve Tasting Room, then be glad it didn't seem easy!)

Just read your entertaining review.  We were there two days before you and ordered almost identical menus.  I agree with you about the escolar: mind-blowing.  I enjoyed the lobster creme brulee more than you though.  (Did you get the "special instructions from the chef" about eating it?  (Combining all three components onto every forkful?))

I thought our server told us explicitly to eat the three items separately, but I could very well have misheard (mishearing such instructions is becoming my new specialty). In fact, looking back...hmmm...eating lobster reduction WITH something else certainly makes sense, doesn't it. I'll have to try it that way next time.

I also enjoyed your review - welcome!

I wasn't so sure about sweetbreads myself - but Chef Armstrong made a believer out of me! His preparation is wonderful - give it a try some time. Of course I may have been spoiled for anyone else's preparation :lol: , but I'm so glad I took the 'risk' and tried them!

the ghosts of the old wayfarers restaurant can finally rest. restaurant eeve is the best thing that has happened to old town since the fishmarket closed. the most warming and wonderful thing is the family type relationships that the staff radiates with regard to the owners and their offerings. the food is prepared with pride and seems effortless to the diligent chefs. one cant help but catch them stepping back to apraise their creations. the bouliabase is unbelievable and the careful attention to detail is charming particularly in old town. the bar staff should not be ignored either, they make the very best old fashion in the north east and take drink making seriously. they are not missing a trick and look like they are enjoying it. i love it for lunch too.

i ate the apple.

finally.

I made my first visit to Eve today, after months of reading the mouthwatering notes here. She's more than earned her praise. Mapquest deposited me in front of a lingerie and stiletto display--not entirely incompatible with the luscious accolades, but not entirely helpful with my desire for food. A few random pedestrians and a quick trip into a real estate office soon set me rights as to "North" and "South" Pitt, a nuance, to be sure, unworthy of mapquest's attention.

Lunch at the bar was a steal: $13.50 for two dishes from a limited menu. Hot bread--good bread--and warm butter, and she was already in my heart. The squash soup arrived tasting more of cool cream than warm squash, and a query to the fine bartender soon returned a warm, velvety bowl from which I lapped up every last bit with my bread. The salad du jour was perfect greens, sweet beets, sweeter tomatoes, and wonderfully cooked grouper, with a slight crunch on the face and fat flakes beneath.

But what really stole my heart and made me very, very glad she's not accessible by metro jaunts was her service. From the kind host who pulled out my seat, until we realized that I wanted the special in the bar, to the bartender, who'd been in town for only a month but noted every quirk of my eyebrow, to the random chefs' whites and busboys strolling through--everyone was so kind! All I wanted was to read my notes and eat a good, quick lunch before my rental car was due back, and they were perfectly content to let me do so, with friendly hello's and how are you's and then on about their day. I felt like I was visiting an manor on an invitation of the host to do as I wished--and I did.

Edited by babka

But what really stole my heart and made me very, very glad she's not accessible by metro jaunts was her service.

but she is available by metro, and even by boat. get off at the king street stop and there are local buses that drive up and down, i think some of them are even free. or, it is about a 15-minute walk. at night, even the shorter tasting menu with wine pairings will make driving difficult. the walk will sober you up.

Taking my boyfriend to Eve for his birthday in a few weeks -- I'm leaning toward the Tasting Menu, but what I've read of the Bistro menu sounds amazing as well.  Which would you pick?  Thanks.

Like Cathal said to me one night, "unless you've eaten in the Tasting Room, you've only had half the experience." He's right. I love the bar at Eve (and go there often), but for a special occasion, it's the Tasting Room for me.

Thanks all -- I just made our reservation for the Tasting Room in a few weeks. I can't wait! Unfortunately, we couldn't get a Saturday reservation so will have to settle for Friday (we generally like to go out on Saturdays so we are well-rested from the week), but I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience regardless!

Thanks all -- I just made our reservation for the Tasting Room in a few weeks.  I can't wait!  Unfortunately, we couldn't get a Saturday reservation so will have to settle for Friday (we generally like to go out on Saturdays so we are well-rested from the week), but I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience regardless!

If you decide to go with the 5-course instead of the 9-course menu, keep in mind that items on the 9-course menu can be substituted in on the 5-course. I was there a couple of days ago and ordered the 5-course menu but for my 1st course I had the OOO off of the 9-course menu.

PS: OOO is a puff pastry with an Onion sabyon, Oysters and Osetra caviar. Also, the venison was so f'ing good I could hardly f'ing believe it. And the Shea pinot noir was very tastey.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

"Camille" and I dined in the tasting room a couple of weeks ago during the white truffle period. Among other excellent dishes, we had what can only be called (and should be called) "BFRE," as in the Best [insert your own, favorite "F" word here] Risotto Ever!!!! It was creamy and rich, earthy (because of a dome of white truffle shavings on top of it), and tangy (due to the perfect amount of Parmesan cheese that had been mixed into it) ... The rice, too, was cooked to just the right moment of doneness. Not a second too long or too short -- sheer perfection. What an experience!

Thanks Chef for an overall marvelous meal and this special treat.

Beau

"Camille" and I dined in the tasting room a couple of weeks ago during the white truffle period.  Among other excellent dishes, we had what can only be called (and should be called) "BFRE," as in the Best [insert your own, favorite "F" word here] Risotto Ever!!!!  It was creamy and rich, earthy (because of a dome of white truffle shavings on top of it), and tangy (due to the perfect amount of Parmesan cheese that had been mixed into it) ... The rice, too, was cooked to just the right moment of doneness.  Not a second too long or too short  -- sheer perfection.  What an experience!             

Thanks Chef for an overall marvelous meal and this special treat. 

Beau

The white truffle menu is still available (or at least it was last Friday) in the Tasting Room.

ETA: More info...

Took the GF out for her birthday dinner in the Tasting Room last Friday night and it was exceptional. Highlights for me included: The small dish of brandade that was part of the canapes. Tripe (braised in veal stock and cider for over 40 hours) served with housemade merguez sausage. This is a hearty dish perfect for this cold and wet weather. If this is on the bistro menu do yourself a favor and order it. I was also able to score a bite of the venison dish that JG was raving about and it was delicious.

Service was wonderful and not only did Mr. Thrasher pour some delicious wines, he even brought over a truffle he was showing to a couple at another table. Of course it was just to ogle, but it did smell heavenly. I still cannot believe that he was able to get it out of the kitchen. :lol:

Edited by mdt

If anyone knows somebody planning to eat at Restaurant Eve tomorrow night, can you call them and remind them of "that thing" they need to go to instead?  I'm just trying to move from waiting list to confirmed seat assignment.  :P

I actually cancelled my long-anticipated reservation for 2 at 6 for tomorrow . . . on Tuesday. Guess someone else was ahead of you on the waitlist. :lol:

In anticipation of my upcoming move I've been making the circuit of as many of the places I'll miss that time, wallet, and waistline will allow. A group of friends decided that after all of the tales of splendor we've told about Eve, we needed to have our farewell in the tasting room. With the arrival of each course there was a round of wow, oh man, I can't believe how good this is and other similar highly eloquent articulations from this group who generally can't stop talking.

And that is the problem with farewell tours.

By the second course I was rethinking my whole move. Who cares about the fabulous new job, the old one wasn't so bad. By the cheese course several started planning a return trip in January and I was so irritated to know I wouldn't be able to go too. :lol:

Hmm, the next trip up here I could stay at the Holiday Inn and walk over to Eve.

What's Cathal doing tonight?  Why, this

(along with a few of our DR friends  :lol: , who I hope will report back to us on their meal!)

A well-deserved honor, I'd say  :P

Congratulations, Chef!

For now we'll just say that this dinner was awesome!!! (no suprise there though) This was an incredible event and well worth the trip to NY -- for the truffle soup alone! More details (and some photos) will follow...

Hey Todd - what do you have cooking up in your cocktail laboratory (please pronounce in the British fashion :lol: )?

I’d say a few hot cocktails are showing up this week, The Peppermint “Paddy” and the return of the Cider Car is slated for this weekend.