Pork from Heritage Breeds of Pigs - Berkshire, Tamworth, etc.

cocoagirl

My step dad is 82 and from the western prairies of Canada. He has been in America for 50 years. But he still dreams of eating a piece of pork that taste of his youth. Can I make this dream come true this Christmas. Lobels sells Korubuta pork for a reasonable enough price :P , but the shipping fee is :D Any ideas out there?

Hi I am new to the board but have been lurking forever.

Cocogirl:

Weclome to DR.com. Upthread, Birus reports that Korubuta porks is available at Wegmans. I don't know if it is the same stuff your father had, but you might consider taking one for the team and filling the rest of us in.

Wegmans only has Kurobuta ham, not roasts/chops/etc. As far as heirloom pork goes, Home Farm out in Middleburg does awfully good tastes-like-pork-used-to Gloucester Old Spot roasts and chops.

Wegmans only has Kurobuta ham, not roasts/chops/etc. As far as heirloom pork goes, Home Farm out in Middleburg does awfully good tastes-like-pork-used-to Gloucester Old Spot roasts and chops.

Home Farm looks great. Any ideas for any place closer in to Washington DC. It does not have to be Korubuta pork- it is pork that taste the way pork did 50 years ago that I am really looking for. Thanks.

Home Farm looks great. Any ideas for any place closer in to Washington DC. It does not have to be Korubuta pork- it is pork that taste the way pork did 50 years ago that I am really looking for. Thanks.

Another mail order option is http://www.heritagefoodsusa.com/. They are not cheap, however. I splurged on a Berkshire Boston butt this past summer and was very happy with the product (had a friend smoke it for me). But I think it was a try-it-once experience, given the cost.

It does not have to be Korubuta pork- it is pork that taste the way pork did 50 years ago that I am really looking for. Thanks.
Does your father give any more detail about the way pork tasted 50 years ago?

I am not quite old enough to remember that far back, but I do remember that pork used to be much fattier and moister which translated into a richer mouthfeel and more flavor.

But it seems to me that your father, who, as you say, used to live on the western prairies of Canada, may be remembering something special that had to do with what the animals were eating?

If I recall correctly, people who kept pigs on farms for their own use, used to feed them things like apples, and buttermilk, and table scraps, and let them run wild so they could eat acorns, and so on and so forth.

Check out the Organic Butcher of McLean, which is across from the Balducci's in McLean, VA. They have local, grass fed and sustainably raised meat, including heirloom pork. Great place, if a bit pricey. Closed Mondays. Also Dupont Circle Farmers' Market on Sundays from 10-1. At least three heirloom pork purveyors are there every week.

On a recent trip to Asheville, NC, I had pork from Hickory Nut Gap Farm meats. This was hands-down the best pork I have ever had, and that includes great cuts from Polyface and Niman Farms. Does anyone know if any restaurants in the DC area serve this, or if it's available at any markets? Or is it only sold locally around the Asheville area? For what it's worth, if you're in Western NC and you see meats from Hickory Nut Gap on the menu or for sale, by all means get it.