Willow, Chef Tracy O'Grady and Pastry Chef Kate Jansen on N. Fairfax Drive in Ballston - Closed

That burger is so damn good. Did they take the bacon off of it or is it still on there?

I didn't see bacon on the menu for the burger. I'm sure you could gently ask & easily get it. :)

Oh, & on my final training day I stopped back for lunch again. This time I had the 1/2 sandwich & soup special for $11. For soup I had their delicious Wild Mushroom Bisque w/ Sage Oil & Parsley [quite rich & flavorful, nicely surprised that they made it with a bacon base ... rendered bacon fat, of course it's good!]. And for the sandwich I did their Grilled Turkey Reuben w/ Gruyere. Nice combination. For a side I couldn't stop from ordering the Fried Mac 'n Cheese balls [oh so not healthy ... 5-cheese fondue sauce used, but tasty!].

Glad I worked out that day to make me feel better :lol:

Good pricing, nice space. Must remember to keep Willow as a regular dining option & expose more friends to the place.

I violated my own principles and went to a bar on St. Patrick's Day -- but the bar happened to be Willow so it was ok. Jim -- one of the bartenders -- was inappropriately dressed in orange (have to find out how many fights he got into after I left) but the wine list is as good as ever. Allison -- the sommelier -- proudly showed her wines under $50 list which is quite impressive and worth a gander if you are of a mind for a good bottle to go with a good meal.

I'm glad I'm not forced to name the best restaurant in Arlington, because I'm not sure I could. I haven't been upstairs to Eventide, but there can be credible arguments made for Tallula, Liberty Tavern, and Ray's The Steaks.

That having been said, hold a gun to my head and I might just blurt out "Willow!", which is currently one of the most underrated restaurants in the entire DC area - I'm doing my part to put a stop to that right now.

Willow's biggest strength might be that it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses: the atmosphere, service, food, and beverage program are all clicking right now, and now that Clarendon has become such a hotspot, the free parking in Willow's garage is looking awfully attractive.

Alison Christ, Willow's titular sommelier (who has been at the restaurant since four months after they opened) has done a splendid job with the wine list, which is somewhat expensive in terms of markup, but so well-chosen that it's worth the premium. On my most-recent visit, there were 32 wines by the glass, 34 wines by the half-bottle, and 275 wines by the bottle (for dessert wines, there are an additional 17, 6, and 5, respectively). There's also a separate page listing 50 wines, each costing under $50, and this is where you should be looking. A 2007 Domaine de Reuilly "Les Pierres Plates" ($48, Reuilly being a Loire Valley AOC) imported by Kermit Lynch was one of the best Sauvignon Blancs I've had in recent memory, and I'm actively seeking to purchase a case of this wine at retail. This is an excellent wine program, and there are also fully 30 beers by the bottle that are worth ordering.

The best Gougères in town are neither at Central, nor the popover at BLT Steak (a disappointing version of which I had just two nights ago); they are absolutely right here at Willow, on the bar menu. Served with an irresistible black-truffle dipping sauce, these $8 beauties thankfully take a full fifteen minutes to make, and they are worth every minute of the wait.

Crispy Crab "Cakes" ($16) are a mini-stack of two, with tempura-like batter demanding immediate attention. And look at what they're served with: purple potatoes, watermelon radish, pink grapefruit, and lemon-butter sauce. Purple potatoes sounds like an outlier here, but it's a well-integrated combination that I'd happily order again.

And of all the flatbreads I've tried here, the Oliva ($18) may have been the best. A hearty, perhaps Nicoise-inspired combination of smoked tuna, green-olive tapenade, parmesan, fontina, and arugula, it's as good as it sounds (on their website, it's listed as Il Tonna Affumicato).

I had Willow highly rated in the past, but one off-night last year temporarily took it off my radar screen; I won't be making that mistake again. A great night for this restaurant.

Cheers,

Rocks.

We also thought that their gougeres were the best we've had. I think that the only thing that keeps us away is, sadly, the furnishing/decor. The food is excellent -- we've never had a bad meal there -- but when we've dined there in the past, it's felt to me like dining in a cheesy hotel conference room. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right, and I'll be more than happy to return, but I think that's why it's been at the bottom of my list for so long...

Hey Don, this is my 2nd post! It was a great time waiting on you last week! I am very happy that you gave us such a glowing review. Sometimes I wonder why we don't receive BETTER accolades in "certain" publications. But, I'm no expert, except for making drinks! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the Gougeres you spoke so highly of, are ACTUALLY only $5. They're part of our rather inexpensive bar menu, which has about 8 or 9 snacks for $5(sorry for the shameless plug!)!

I guess being in Ballston is somewhat akin to mediocrity.....I hope more people get the word about us soon enough! Thanks so much and I hope to see you again soon. - Jim - The Bartender at Willow

By the way, having worked in many a cheesy hotel, I can honestly say that Willow has a very warm and comforting look and feel to it! It's not at all stuffy, but it's not a sports pub, either!

I had been to Willow about 5 or 6 times since it opened, but kind of forgot about it plus it was a little pricey. However, after this review, it got on my radar again so we went tonight. Wonderful meal! Just interesting new taste treats we never had before. Loved the cauliflower tart and the day boat scallops with shitake mushrooms. Everything was wonderful. My husband who is very picky really enjoyed the crabcakes and filet mignon. Plus we had a nice bottle of Crianza Rioja. We will be back!

I ate lunch at Willow yesterday afternoon, and it was perfect. The outdoor patio was lovely, and I sat under the wind chime looking at lush flower pots and sniffing whatever was flowering. Mushroom bisque was rich, creamy, earthy. I ordered the flatbread/salad lunchtime special, which had just the right amount of food. Flatbread with blue cheese and carmelized onions was crisp on the bottom, tasty on top. The salad was my least favorite part of the meal, but it was good, with crisp celery, cucumber and radish sticks. For wine, I had the viognier for $8. Dessert was strawberry rhubarb crisp w/icecream. I asked for it room temp if possible (I don't like it when the icecream melts too fast). They happily complied, and the topping was sweet and crunchy, while the filling was tart and tangy. Even with the office buildings and traffic, I really felt transported out of the Ballston corridor to somewhere much more charming. Very much worth a visit if you haven't been. Go now and enjoy the patio!

A friend asked me to post this for them to share with the board: they had lunch at Willow recently and "when asked for separate checks, the waiter not only didn't fuss, but very graciously and honestly told them that the restaurant's policy for separate checks required that the gratuity be added on automatically. We all appreciated his candor, because we knew that many waiters would have said nothing, hoping that patrons wouldn't notice and would inadvertently double-tip. After an excellent lunch (a sandwich made with high quality ingredients, made special with excellent bread and a nice side of beets and green beans, and red onion rings that were like crunchy oniony lace), he returned with the checks and told us he hadn't added the gratuities after all. This is the kind of wait staff you would always hope to have but almost never do. And something that is always a special touch, and that makes me want to return - a very warm and genuine farewell (from Tracy O'Grady, I think)."

I went to Willow for drinks and appetizers a couple weeks ago. I've been talking it up ever since.

I sat at the bar with a friend. The bartenders were so nice and welcoming that I'd have considered coming back even if the food sucked.

But the food didn't suck. It was great! We got a few of the $5 dishes (happy hour special). The crab dip (artichoke crab dip? I don't remember...) was so good that we ordered it twice. I know crab dip is hard to mess up, but this was the best execution of it that I've ever had. We also split a salad (which they split for us). It was perfect.

Willow is pretty out of the way for me, but I still plan on going back. The food was great, and the service was exceptional.

Stopped by Willow last Thursday with a girlfriend, after hearing great things. Sat at the bar and had attentive (but not overly so) service from the very knowledgeable bartender. I wish they'd had a cocktail list, but I was very happy with my dirty martinis. My friend and I ordered and split the mushroom and thyme flatbread ($10), which was a little overly cheesy/greasy and under mushroomy for my taste, but was very well seasoned and enjoyed. We also tried the grilled cheese poppers ($5), which were breaded squares of something akin to cheddar jack with a really tasty tomato-bisque-esq dipping sauce, and the fish and chips ($5), which included several tasty onion rings, a couple fried shrimp, a couple nice hunks of white fish, and, I think, a ring or two of calamari, plus a fried lattice of potato-y goodness. That was plenty of food for the two of us, but I left with an intense craving for something green, and a need for a wetnap to get all the grease off my hands. Luckily, I was too sauced off two martinis to do much about it. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and we'll be back.

Had another wonderful dinner at Willow last Friday night. We got a late reservation and the room was not full, but let's hope that is just because it is late August.

Between us we had:

Roasted Beets and Goat's Cheese Salad - Frisee, Endive, Romanie, Apples, Candied Walnuts & Beet Vinaigrette - his stardard, fine but I find the walnuts too sugary

Heirloom Tomato Salad - Local Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil Marscapone Mousse & Garlic Croutons with Basil Balsalmic Glaze - a standout, large slices of yellow and red heirlooms and wedges of a cherokee purple, no blight issues here, a generous portion and could have had another for entree

Crispy Fried Crab "Cake & Soft-Shell Crab - Corn Pancake, Corn Sauce, Radish & Thyme - delicate, lightly seasoned, never enough soft shell for me

Brian's Ceviche Shrimp, Scallops, Crab, Mango, Chilies, Thai Basil & Crispy Yucca - had never ordered, so fresh and light, really nicely done

Sautéed Alaskan Halibut Filet - Fennel Ravioli, Asparagus, Snap Peas, Basil & Fennel Broth - so fresh, and a large portion I could not finish

Pepper Crusted Dry-Aged Sirloin - Creamed Spinach Tart, Portobello Fries & Red Wine-Shallot Sauce - had a portobello fry, quite tasty and never had them done like that

The food is outstanding, the service professional as always.

Went to the bar at Willow the other night to try the $5 menu because I wasn't up for cooking and it is conveniently right beside our condo building.

Had a glass of Gruner Veltliner, which was refreshing and crisp not really any after taste, it was ok. It would have been really well liked by my SIL. We ordered the gougeres, spring rolls, chicken nuggets and crab and artichoke dip. The gougeres were great- put the ones at Central to shame in all seriousness, light puffy, cheesy the dough wasn't over worked or cooked and the dipping sauce with them adds a nice salty balance to their taste. The Spring Rolls were good- they were like two bites size which made it nice for sharing and the dipping sauce was good, they are not something I would have to reorder but they weren't bad at all. I am not sure how I felt about the texture of the chicken nugget- it tasted like they minced breast meat then put it back together breaded and fried it. The texture as it broke apart in your mouth was just a little odd. A nice flavor but really odd texture. The crab and artichoke dip was by far the best dish with a really nice rich crab and cream flavor balanced by the tang of the artichoke and a nice crumb topping. Had sticky toffee pudding, one of my favorite desserts, for dessert I like the fruit sauce they serve with it that really cuts some of the sweetness in a great way. It tasted very peachy a little lemony then had all the good sweetness of the toffee with the dense but moist cake. It was a nice time to sit at the bar, service was nice and it was a good deal for Hubby and I who weren't too hungry for a big dinner.

I would go back am interested in trying some other things recommended by our neighbor at the bar- fish and chips and blt with halibut. Will probably do a girls night happy hour here as it was very affordable and a nice place to relax at the bar after work.

Breaking News: Willow's young and talented Alison Crist is departing [see Liberty thread] and Christianne Sargent from Source will be assuming the Sommelier duties. Alison's legacy at Willow includes a very fine selection of moderately priced bottles (Fifty for under $50) and attentive service to Willow's diners. I wish her continued success, and look forward to experiencing Ms. Sargent's take on the wine biz.

I went to Willow last November for my then-company's Orientation/Training dinner.

I did not care for my food at all, in fact I didn't like any bit of it. I remember the scallops being slightly cold and having large amounts of grit in them. I don't care for wine (other than ume-shu or sparkling), so that's not a redeeming factor for me.

Even though my boyfriend and I plan to move to Arlington and we both used to work there, I have no intent on ever going to Willow.

I have tried to forget my bad dinner there, so forgive me for lack of details.

Alison Christ, Willow's titular sommelier (who has been at the restaurant since four months after they opened) has done a splendid job with the wine list, which is somewhat expensive in terms of markup, but so well-chosen that it's worth the premium. On my most-recent visit, there were 32 wines by the glass, 34 wines by the half-bottle, and 275 wines by the bottle (for dessert wines, there are an additional 17, 6, and 5, respectively). There's also a separate page listing 50 wines, each costing under $50, and this is where you should be looking. A 2007 Domaine de Reuilly "Les Pierres Plates" ($48, Reuilly being a Loire Valley AOC) imported by Kermit Lynch was one of the best Sauvignon Blancs I've had in recent memory, and I'm actively seeking to purchase a case of this wine at retail. This is an excellent wine program, and there are also fully 30 beers by the bottle that are worth ordering.

The best Gougères in town are neither at Central, nor the popover at BLT Steak (a disappointing version of which I had just two nights ago); they are absolutely right here at Willow, on the bar menu. Served with an irresistible black-truffle dipping sauce, these $8 beauties thankfully take a full fifteen minutes to make, and they are worth every minute of the wait.

I had Willow highly rated in the past, but one off-night last year temporarily took it off my radar screen; I won't be making that mistake again. A great night for this restaurant.

Sommelier Alison Christ has departed for Northside Social, her role being filled by Christianna Sargent (name remembered courtesy of Missy Frederick of Washington Business Journal - Willow's website still lists Alison as sommelier).

The wines by-the-glass were expensive enough so that this wine lover stuck with beer. First, a bottle of Weyerbacher 'Merry Monks' Ale ($8) from Easton, PA, while I waited for my Warm Gruyères Cheese Puffs ($5) from the bar menu. I raved about these in the above post as "the best Gougères in town," which, based on tonight's performance, isn't even close to being true. No longer $8, you now get eight large puffs for $5 (the entire bar menu is $5). These had the persistent impression of being undercooked (despite taking the full 15 minutes to arrive), with too much cheese in the middle mimicking raw dough, and any finesse that previously escalated (picture a gougère riding a high-speed escalator) the puff to the gold-medal podium, absent. When I go out on a limb, like I did for these incredible Gougères, I feel an obligation to "right my wrong" when they don't meet my expectations the second time around - "Best In DC" is quite a statement. Best In DC tonight? No way. But $5 for 8 of these, with that same, irresistible dipping sauce? A screaming Yes! Yes! Yes! bargain.

I've fallen in love with the Belgian bottled beer Gulden Draak ($12), the name translating to Golden Dragon, and arriving at over 10.5% alcohol in a beautiful, opaque, white bottle. This Belgian ale has a vortex of complexity, but is in very good balance, like a great wine, and is so potent that it's the equivalent of drinking a half-bottle of German Spätlese (even though you don't realize it as you're ordering your second one :angry:). It paired well with the Fish Stew Served in a Roasted Pumpkin ($29) - "Tuna, Shrimp & Calamari with a Thai Coconut Milk Broth in a Roasted Pumpkin" is how the online menu describes it, but it's more complex than that (there were mussels, for example), and more visually interesting. The overly mild broth is certainly Thai-influenced, and the diced potatoes made it come across as more of a slightly Thai-tinged clam chowder as opposed to a Tom Kha Gai. While there were probably a half-dozen types of seafood here, the two incredible bleached-white rings of calamari were the highlights. I cannot imagine the total cost of seafood in this cleverly presented entrée being any more than $5-6.

My dinner tonight at Willow was good, and in the Dining Guide, it unquestionably remains the top restaurant in Ballston, but out of the ten-or-so times I've dined here, this visit fell somewhere in the middle of the pack. Incidentally, at 9 PM on a frigid December Thursday, the bar area was packed.

The $5 bar menu is a fantastic bargan, the teaser item to get people in there and drink expensive glasses of wine (which come in huge pours). Instead of the "50 under 50" section of the wine list (which features 50 bottles under $50), I'd rather see "20 under "20." That would be much more impressive, and would afford truly budget dining at this otherwise pricey restaurant.

Cheers,

Rocks.

My dinner tonight at Willow was good, and in the Dining Guide, it unquestionably remains the top restaurant in Ballston, but out of the ten-or-so times I've dined here, this visit fell somewhere in the middle of the pack. Incidentally, at 9 PM on a frigid December Thursday, the bar area was packed.

The $5 bar menu is a fantastic bargan, the teaser item to get people in there and drink expensive glasses of wine (which come in huge pours). Instead of the "50 under 50" section of the wine list (which features 50 bottles under $50), I'd rather see "20 under "20." That would be much more impressive, and would afford truly budget dining at this otherwise pricey restaurant.

Cheers,

Rocks.

A couple of days ago Tracy (chef-owner) told me that recently the bar has been slammed (not by Liberty standards, I'm sure) in comparison with the way it has been in the past. She said the bar is full practically every evening and the draw seems to be the $5 bar food menu. Aside from Gougeres there are many tasty offers -- a couple of which in combination would even pass for a nice supper. Also the flatbreads are available, and I think they are quite good. BTW Don, calling Willow still the best restaurant in Ballston may be damning with faint praise, don't you think? :angry: [if you want to give yourself a real treat don't skip dessert at Willow, Kate Jansen didn't win a RAMMY for nothing]

Restaurant Week here was great tonight. I needed quick and casual, and the bar area provided just that. The lobster agnolotti first course was terrific with two or three tasty bites of lobster tucked into each pillow. The cod, my main course, was seasoned and done perfectly. And the desserts were definitely noteworthy. The top layer of the banana panna cotta was one of the finest chocolate products I've ever tasted.

I am a little disappointed to say we had an ok, but not great meal at Willow the other night. It is right in our neighborhood, so we really want this restaurant to be good and do well, but the other night, it was ok. Which is not good for a restaurant at it's price point and growing competition in the area.

I started with mixed greens, which were very good, but not anything very unusual. Trying to watch what I eat a little, so went for the salad to balance my entree. Had the scallops for my entree. The scallops themselves were cooked well, but the dish overall was very rich and in need of some sort of balance. I think it needed some sort of acid component that it didn't have. It was served with artichoke ravioli, and while the pasta was well made, you couldn't taste the artichoke enough, I think it was overwhelmed by the sauces and purees.

Hubby had the steak with portabello fries. The fries were not great, not prepared badly, but they didn't add anything to the dish and had little flavor and the creamed spinach didn't have a lot of flavor so the dish was very flat. I was kind of sad about this because they used to have a steak dish with mushrooms, mashed potatoes and a red wine reduction that was fantastic. But this dish again was missing a key flavor. I was glad I ordered the haricot verts with shallots as a side because I needed something to cut the richness. They were perfectly cooked, still crispy, but just tender enough these were very good.

Our dining companions had flatbreads and they seemed to enjoy them, but I just don't expect to go to Willow for flatbreads, I expect more. So overall it was ok, but it didn't leave any of us really wanting to return. I wish it did.

Hubby had the steak with portabello fries. The fries were not great, not prepared badly, but they didn't add anything to the dish and had little flavor

I had an order of these Portobello Fries ($5) last week as a standalone, and I thought they were really good, particularly dipped into the Romesco sauce. It's odd, because there were aspects of them that seemed cooked to order, and aspects that didn't, but I really enjoyed them either way. Likewise the Fontina and Prosciutto Fritters ($5) with smoked paprika aioli. These fritters had no breading at all on the inside, and were just gooey balls of fried fontina flecked with pork (which is a very refreshing change from your standard fried mozzarella).

At another level entirely was an incredible main course of Smoked Pekin Duck Breast ($27), served with a miniature duck confit and chicken pot pie (served decapitated), English pea mousse, and foie gras sauce. This was dish was so good (and took so long to prepare) that I wonder if it didn't get re-fired, or at least cooked with a little extra attention. (I tried to fly incognito, guys, I really did try.) Regardless, it reinforced what I already knew: Willow, when at its best, is a formidable kitchen.

Cheers,

Rocks

Had the sweetbreads appetizer on a recent visit - described as Crispy Veal Sweetbreads with Mushroom Ravioli, Grilled Maitake Mushrooms & Creamy Potato Emulsion - but I also tasted some truffle in the ravioli. I really enjoyed it and it was a sizable portion for a starter. The bar area here has a lot of friendly, local regulars; if someone is looking for a place to eat a nice solo meal at a bar and not feel awkward, this is the place. My only gripe is the lack of draft beer - but they do make a good martini and pour it dangerously full, so its a minor quibble.

My wife and I had an excellent, early Valentine's day dinner here. Service was near perfect; that wonderful balance of attentiveness without being intrusive. I started with the Coquilles St Jacques which was good but I must confess to wishing my wife would have shared more of her Sherry and Tomato Steamed Mussels. With the latter, the smokey ham really deepened the flavor of the tomato broth and made me wish I had more bread to sop it up. A minor quibble with both appetizers would be that the provided toast, while beautiful in presentation, lacked the mass required to mop up. For the mains I had the Duo of Veal and my wife had the Pan Roasted Flounder. The duo was osso bucco and a chop. I enjoyed the balance of the richness of the shank with the lighter chop which had a hint of tartness. Having previously lost some points by making a run at Guajillo's massive burrito on a date night, I did not give into my impulse to pick up the chop and get at the meat on the bone.

Beverage-wise I will echo comments previously made about the wine list and note that I drank (good) beer.

As I've seen the topic of Groupon use come up regularly, I'll add a note that we did use a Groupon. I did not present it at the start as I guess is technically required but instead simply put it and my credit card in the bill. When the server returned she simply mentioned the Groupon was applied and had both the adjusted receipt and an original one with the total highlighted, a not so subtle reminder for tipping purposes. I found this to work well and balance the concern of the diner about receiving lesser service while at the same time making sure a server does not get half a tip.

Hey, I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal! The Groupon promotion has been a tremendous success!! Combined with Restaurant Week last week and Valentine's weekend this week, people have gotten their money's worth. Sorry about the highlighter on the check, it was the most subtle way of saying "there's a MASSIVE discount on your check"......short of actually stating it on the check! Our staff is pretty gracious when it comes to promotions....we're not big into up-selling, either.....we just want you to enjoy your meal, tell your friends and come back......OFTEN!!!!

Thanks for the positive critique and hope to see you again soon!

Jim (Bartender at Willow)

Lunch today at Willow was very good. I started with the heirloom tomato salad, nicely dressed with a creamy avocado sauce, extra virgin olive oil and a few drops of aged balsamic vinegar. It was very satisfying. I followed that with the sandwich special -- egg salad with dill that would have made a New York deli proud. One companion had the Norwegian salmon kabobs and two other companions had barbecue chicken flatbread. Thumbs up all around, with the added comment that the chicken on the flatbreads tasted like real chicken. I love it when dining companions who are used to eating at chains that get their chicken from Sysco bags come face to face with real food. I live for those epiphanies.

I went to Safeway around noon today and noticed that the masses had cleaned the store out of all their toilet paper. I do not know how those folks spent their evening with all those rolls, but we had a lovely time at Willow during the so-far underwhelming storm. This was the last night of their extended Restaurant Week menu, with the optional $15 wine pairing. There was a lot to recommend here, but I will leave it at the tempura fried soft shell crab and crab cake with summer cous cous. The tempura batter on both was delicate and delicious, as was the crab. I believe a version of this is on the regular menu, and it is worth checking out. The service was outstanding at the bar and at the table, as usual. The place was hopping despite all the rain, with a Virginia Tech gathering taking up much of the central dining room. They called around 6:00pm to make sure we were still coming. As if that was ever considered!

It's the end of an era with the departure of its (almost) founding bartender Jim Malfatti who has decided to get a real job as a teacher in Loudon County. His departure did not occur without a hale and farewell, however. Sigh, the departure of yet another bartender that I spent so much time and effort on breaking in.

My wife and I grabbed dinner at Willow's bar quite frequently before we traded in spontaneous restaurant excursions for bedtime routines a few years back...the food is why we liked going to Willow; Jim is why we chose to eat at the bar. The children of Loudon County are in good hands. Best of luck Jim! And remember, there's nothing wrong with a "yinz" now and then...

I'm rarely in Ballston but this past week had to choose a spot for a lunch there. Luckily, my dining companion knew Ballston better than I did and gave me three choices from which to pick. One, Willow, rang a number of bells but I'd never before been there. So, quick check here on this thread and that made clear Willow would have to be the choice.

Really enjoyed Willow. Easily enough to head back without any reason other than for a good meal.

FOOD

Nothing disappointed. More specifically, we had:

- Caesar salad ($7.50): This looked very good with fresh romaine and maybe a bit richer and thicker dressing than some others but I didn't try it. My dining companion finished it and clearly enjoyed. Then again, she'd been to Willow many times so probably knew something...many things...I didn't.

- Mixed greens ($7.50): I wanted something healthy and lighter to start so went with this, boringly named, salad. It was very good as far as mixed greens go. Fresh and varied greens. Served with nice grapefruit and a tasty grapefruit-based vinaigrette to bring it all together.

- Salmon kabob ($19.50): Didn't try. Looked very good. Happily finished.

- Soft shell crab ($20.50): very well done. Maybe just less than one good sized crab fried tempura style. The tempura was delicate allowing the juicy crab to really star.

- Coconut cream cake (aka the "cake of the day" @ $9): maybe my favorite thing. This was generously sized but light and perfectly (not too much) sweetened. I really enjoy a good coconut cake and this was better than most I've had.

SERVICE

Very good and professional. My dining companion arrived well before me and was well taken care of. We never felt over or under served. Friendly and effective.

VALUE

As I wrote at the beginning, I'll definitely be heading back to Willow; likely for dinner next. But, hard to call this a good value at $75 for two for lunch pre tip and tax and without any alcohol. We enjoyed everything we had but it wasn't exceptional so kind of expensive on the value meter IMHO. I look forward to more "research" to inform a more comprehensive view. :mellow:

PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT

I was taken enough by the coconut cake to ask our server about Willow's pastry chef. As I'm sure many on this board know and as I learned, there is indeed a dedicated pastry chef who is also Willow's co-owner. Well no wonder, I thought. After leaving Willow, I thought about what ownership does to improve the quality of a restaurant's offerings. This cake was better than most others I've had so it of course made sense that the owner made it and it's what she specializes in. I had a talk recently with a different restauranteur about considering sharing equity (ownership) in a restaurant with key staff as a way not only to retain but also to ensure high morale, productivity and consistently superior output. My sense is that's not very common in the business but maybe worth considering for some. Howard Schultz (Starbuck's founder) was ridiculed in the early days for sharing equity with baristas. But that and generally better-than-average benefits and management were central to the success Starbucks later enjoyed.

All that inspired by a damn fine piece of coconut cream cake. If you own part of a business...and you're formally trained to bake...your cake is probably better than the other guy's...or gal's. :unsure:

VALUE

As I wrote at the beginning, I'll definitely be heading back to Willow; likely for dinner next. But, hard to call this a good value at $75 for two for lunch pre tip and tax and without any alcohol. We enjoyed everything we had but it wasn't exceptional so kind of expensive on the value meter IMHO. I look forward to more "research" to inform a more comprehensive view. :unsure:

PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT

I was taken enough by the coconut cake to ask our server about Willow's pastry chef. As I'm sure many on this board know and as I learned, there is indeed a dedicated pastry chef who is also Willow's co-owner. Well no wonder, I thought. After leaving Willow, I thought about what ownership does to improve the quality of a restaurant's offerings. This cake was better than most others I've had so it of course made sense that the owner made it and it's what she specializes in. I had a talk recently with a different restauranteur about considering sharing equity (ownership) in a restaurant with key staff as a way not only to retain but also to ensure high morale, productivity and consistently superior output. My sense is that's not very common in the business but maybe worth considering for some. Howard Schultz (Starbuck's founder) was ridiculed in the early days for sharing equity with baristas. But that and generally better-than-average benefits and management were central to the success Starbucks later enjoyed.

All that inspired by a damn fine piece of coconut cream cake. If you own part of a business...and you're formally trained to bake...your cake is probably better than the other guy's...or gal's. :blink:

Well, coincidentally, Tracy has just introduced a Nosh Menu which is intended to offer some items on the full dinner menu individually priced. It merges the old bar menu offerings (which still are pretty good value for money) with these additional items. And I still say that Kate's Cakes are absolutely THE BEST! (although I can no longer eat them due to my no carb routine :mellow: )

Boy, did we miss him last night - gathered with some friends for an early birthday celebration and while the bar staff was nice, we had to work hard to grab their attention (it was busy but not overwhelming) and twice our drinks were removed before we were finished with them which, I think, was done by the busboy/helper. To their credit, the bartenders replaced the removed drinks but I really missed Jim last night.

It's the end of an era with the departure of its (almost) founding bartender Jim Malfatti who has decided to get a real job as a teacher in Loudon County. His departure did not occur without a hale and farewell, however. Sigh, the departure of yet another bartender that I spent so much time and effort on breaking in.

to get a real job as a teacher in Loudon County.

Just saw this. I gotta say...saying that restaurant jobs aren't "real" jobs really pisses me off (because it is my career and livelihood). I know for many people they are a temporary thing, but the job pays the bills. Any job that pays the bills is a "real" job. Standing down from my soapbox now...

Just saw this. I gotta say...saying that restaurant jobs aren't "real" jobs really pisses me off (because it is my career and livelihood). I know for many people they are a temporary thing, but the job pays the bills. Any job that pays the bills is a "real" job. Standing down from my soapbox now...

Well Dave, that's how he put it

Willow had its Halloween observance on Saturday Night. Anticipating a full bar and wanting a seat at it I timed my arrival early and came in during the staff meal. Tracy and Deb, gracious as ever, welcomed me and asked if I would like a bowl of what everyone else was having -- a lucious mac and cheese with baby peas. I said sure, but didn't want to interrupt their meeting (they were also going over additions/deletions from the wine list and the menu), but Deb soon came over and placed the mac 'n' cheese in front of me. Since I hadn't had lunch, it disappeared quickly along with the first glass of red that evening.

The purpose of this post, however, is to highlight an item on the nosh menu -- pork belly "porchetta" which Tracy said she may remove from the menu soon because no one orders it. If it happens this may not be a national emergency, but would certainly be sad for all those who haven't had a chance to sample it. It is pork belly cured, then pounded a little and then wrapped around pork loin. I don't know how, but on the plate it looks like a single cut of meat and the effect is the fattiness and porkiness of the belly is firmed up with the meatiness of the loin. Oh and it is served with a jus -- I think with a note of sage -- that makes the whole thing all the more juicy. Really a clever and flavorful take on pork belly. Hope those who can will hop over and try it for themselves while it remains available.

A good crowd of Halloween revelers materialized early in the evening and general merriment ensued. Photos here .

Correction.....I told John and all my other regulars that I was seeking a "grown-ups job".....which is a funny way we hourlies say we are getting a day job. I've been in the business for 25 years now and know the value of having such skills. Entertaining people with food and wine never gets old, but the body does and it's time to move......I'm still up for guest bartending, though!!!

Boy, did we miss him last night - gathered with some friends for an early birthday celebration and while the bar staff was nice, we had to work hard to grab their attention (it was busy but not overwhelming) and twice our drinks were removed before we were finished with them which, I think, was done by the busboy/helper. To their credit, the bartenders replaced the removed drinks but I really missed Jim last night.

I miss Willow, too.....I'm rockin' the exurbs out in Leesburg!! I hope all my peeps are doing well?! My sarcastic wit is going unused out here......except on my fellow employees, of course!!

We tried Willow for the first time a few weeks back and were very happy. The food and service were quite nice, and the dining room was far larger and more pleasantly bustling that I'd imagined for the location. We enjoyed our choices (duck, scallops, mushroom soup, crabcake), but the things that stood out the most were that the flatbreads look very intriguing and the hot buttered rum (delivered by the widely grinning barman, as he'd only put it on the menu the night before) was AWESOME. 'Tis the season and this is a great drink for warming the head and the belly :)

Correction.....I told John and all my other regulars that I was seeking a "grown-ups job".....which is a funny way we hourlies say we are getting a day job. I've been in the business for 25 years now and know the value of having such skills. Entertaining people with food and wine never gets old, but the body does and it's time to move......I'm still up for guest bartending, though!!!

The incredible irony of this is the industry's collective perception of themselves. Few work harder for their money and yet fewer (on a "pound per pound" basis) are more reticent to honor or acknowledge the value of the service they provide.

We tried Willow for the first time a few weeks back and were very happy.

So did we, but we were somewhat disappointed. The petit filet mignon was well prepared but nothing special, and the price seemed a little steep. Black bean and chorizo soup was also tasty but nothing inspired or unusual. Mr P and our friends also seemed to enjoy their meals, but no one was raving over anything.

The ambiance is nice.

Our friends seemed a little put off by the service, as we were largely ignored by the waiter, but I rather liked that, since I prefer not to be interrupted too often, especially when trying to catch up with friends, but I know that's an unusual perspective. The wait between starter and main courses was about an hour, and we were starting to gopher about for the waiter when the food arrived. It would've been nice to be told why, but then again, I was probably giving off the "don't pester me" vibe.

Important note: there's a parking garage in the building, and parking is partly validated. I spent 15 minutes circling in an ever-widening radius before I found this out (actually I pulled off the road and called my husband, who'd arrived earlier). I think the last time I saw such an awful parking situation was in San Francisco. Also, a big F*** YOU to the four knuckleheads standing in a parking spot talking on a cell phone calling their circling friend in for a landing. I was really tempted to start a slow parallel park and just sit there, blocking traffic if need be, but I seldom act on revenge fantasies; that's what bitching on the internet is for. Also I didn't want to be late and risk having my car vandalized.

[yeah Don I know off-topic rant go ahead and delete it later]

Sat at the bar at Willow last night for late dinner and drinks and had unexpectedly fantastic food. I say unexpectedly because we got there ten mins before the kitchen was closing (took longer than expected to put the little one to bed), and the bartender said there was a new sommelier and they were in the process of re-doing the whole drinks menu. My appetizer of gnocchi with shaved asparagus, peas, carrots, in an asparagus sauce (for lack of a better term) tasted like the farmers market. And the gnocchi themselves were different in a good way. They tasted really potato-y and not doughy, with a slight crunch to the outside. A little like a potato hush puppy. Really yummy. And my halibut slider was a firm, perfectly seasoned croquette, and I liked the tartar sauce so much I ate it with a spoon. And the desserts are always a highlight. Last night I got the pineapple upside down cake, which was caramelly and acidic in the right proportions, and unlike many such cakes, it was actually moist. And finally, I have to mention the barley side that came with the roast chicken. I have never seen barley devoured so quickly.

My +1 and I walked in to the bar for drinks and dinner (as we try to do every few weeks), and who's standing there behind the bar but Chris Cunningham! He said he'd been there about 2 weeks. We are quiet, background devotees of his drinks from previous locations; my +1 mentioned one she'd had (I can't remember what it was), and he grinned and said brightly, "hey, how about a rickey!" She was happy with all three of them. :rolleyes: After a glass of wine, I asked him to make me an interesting gin drink, nothing sweet, and he came back with a tasty black raspberry basil gin fizz. The food included the fish and chips, which had some perfectly fried, sweet scallops; the pork spring rolls and mussels with chorizo; and the caesar, which includes grated smoked gouda, was good enough to make my +1, who hates smoked cheese, reconsider that whole idea of splitting dishes. Dessert was the double chocolate cake.

We're happy to have Chris in the neighborhood.

We had an unusually bad experience last night at Willow, much different than what we have typically found there. It seems as if a few forces (they extended Restaurant Week and had a large private party and our waiter was apparently having an off night) might have conspired to bring about the events so we won't hold a grudge but it might take a little while for this to wear off.

I won't go into detail on the missteps but they ranged from really, really slow service, uncleared plates, and not being offered happy hour drink prices to me being delivered the wrong entree after a really long wait. The result was that we spent longer than we cared to spend at dinner and I ended up not even eating because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-fire my proper entree. They comped us two glasses of wine for our troubles and apologized profusely.

All was not lost, however. It was a pleasant evening to sit on the patio, I drank two well crafted Negronis, and the heirloom tomato salad with basil mascarpone was quite good. We'll give Willow another try at some point but maybe not for a little while.

What time does the kitchen typically close here?

I went late-ish on a Saturday night (around 9:30) a couple of weeks ago when I saw that they were open until 11...but the kitchen was already closed and the bar looked shut down. There were some people still hanging out on the patio, but I needed food...

It's been a full month since I took over at Willow and I too was a bit confused with a dining room that shuts around 9 pm or 9:30 even on weekends... But it seems that this has been in response to the fact that most of the diners have wrapped up by this time. I personally don't usually eat till 9 or later :). We just haven't had the demand to stay open later and serve and after talking with some regulars they expressed a desire to come in later but know we don't usually serve late.

I would like to build a later food and at least bar business and want those regulars and new guests to be able to at least know we r open till 11-12 on Friday and Saturdays. It's a case of build it and they will come... Hopefully I hope to implement this in September and at least have a consistent time at the bar for you to eat and drink Let me know of youre interested

I would like to build a later food and at least bar business and want those regulars and new guests to be able to at least know we r open till 11-12 on Friday and Saturdays. It's a case of build it and they will come... Hopefully I hope to implement this in September and at least have a consistent time at the bar for you to eat and drink Let me know of youre interested

Personally, I am - I tend to go out late on Fridays and Saturdays to eat if I'm by myself, as so much of the area is insane. I'd love somewhere nicer to eat then...uh...Ted's (which is where I ended up last night, and honestly the prime rib wasn't bad, especially for the price).