Mexico - Gulf Coast

youngfood

Anyone been to and had anything good to eat in Cancun? Yes, I realize this is a silly place to go, but I'm still going and I'll be a lot warmer than I am in DC tonight...
If you happen to take the boat over to Isla de la Mujeres, there is a a great place for ceviche. Jlock and I had the best ceviche that we have ever had at Picus Cockteleria, which is by the ferry dock and so close to the water that your feet may dangle in as you eat. Maybe Jlock will post a picture of the ceviche . . .

Anyone been to and had anything good to eat in Cancun? Yes, I realize this is a silly place to go, but I'm still going and I'll be a lot warmer than I am in DC tonight...
While you will probably be on the hotel strip, there is actually a great 'center of town' where the locals gather in the park. Try any one of these stands that look good, (tamales, tacos, etc.) and don't ask for anything 'hot'. You can take the bus there if you're on the strip.

Los de Pescado - Locals place specializing in shrimp tacos. Several locations. You will receive corn tortillas with three pieces of breaded shrimp. The topping bar is where you make the magic from there. Tip: one of the hottest things you can do to the taco is put the cucumber on it. It's been sitting in a lime, vinegar and habanero mixture.

Bandoneon - Argentinian Steakhouse. Located right next to the Plaza Las Americas shopping center. Less expensive than the Hotel Zone options, but still was a favorite for us. A recommendation for the house salad with the hearts of palm and the skirt steak. All the steaks are served with onions and a pepper on the grilltop which is brought to the table. The souffle potatoes were eyecatching, but did not have as much flavor as I had hoped.

The downtown area would have two spots for food. One is the park mentioned above, Plaza de las Palapas. In the afternoons and evenings this is full of vendors. The other would be Mercado 23. This would be akin to a permanent farmers market stand. You can find a little bit of anything there. Don't expect much English, and if you don't like the price, try bargaining it down.