100% Chance of Snow Blowing

Ilaine

Well it's only technically 2 hours into the snow and I am already baking, a batch of mini banana breads for my condos coffee time tomorrow morning.  

I'm thinking of baking my usual "stuck inside for days" yeast rolls. Just love that smell of bread baking...

• Like 1

I'm making a version of Nashville hot chicken for dinner.  I hope it doesn't cause any medical emergencies :blink: .  Snow started here on eastern Capitol Hill by our official stopwatch at 1:10 PM, and it is coming down hard. A little while ago, I took some recycling out to the bins we have hidden under the back of the house, and, after that, I don't want to be going back out again. I'm working very quickly and efficiently to get all the laundry done and dried, as our dryer vent is only about 18" above ground, and I don't want the dryer on with a blocked vent.

I'm going to make some beer nuts in a while because...why not? When I looked at the recipe, I was surprised that it actually contained beer.  I thought that was just the name :ph34r: .

Macaroni and cheese for dinner too and something yet TBD.

I'm making a version of Nashville hot chicken for dinner.  I hope it doesn't cause any medical emergencies :blink: .  Snow started here on eastern Capitol Hill by our official stopwatch at 1:10 PM, and it is coming down hard. A little while ago, I took some recycling out to the bins we have hidden under the back of the house, and, after that, I don't want to be going back out again. I'm working very quickly and efficiently to get all the laundry done and dried, as our dryer vent is only about 18" above ground, and I don't want the dryer on with a blocked vent.

I'm going to make some beer nuts in a while because...why not? When I looked at the recipe, I was surprised that it actually contained beer.  I thought that was just the name :ph34r: .

Macaroni and cheese for dinner too and something yet TBD.

We did mac and cheese for lunch.   Breakfast was mini quiches and breakfast brie from Wegmans.

Our dryer vent is pretty much ground level--it melts a pretty good path around it.  It is also the only part of my lawn that stays green year round...

I have coolers at the ready to stick in the snow when the power goes out.

Hoping to make a ground turkey pineapple skillet for dinner tonight with some rice.  But right now I'm enjoying one of BreadFurst's triple chocolate cookies and another cup of decaf while I warm up from our first outing to playing the snow.

• Like 1

Well tonight was a cobb salad with lettuce, bacon, chicken breast, carrots (real regular not baby or baby cut, just saying), green onion, blue cheese and a very lemony vinaigrette dressing.

I also rubbed down a pork shoulder with Rendezvous rub for tomorrow.  That will be a lot for us, but we can also make condo friends if I get the place cleaned up a bit.  I might also make some cornmeal chocolate chip cookies.  I have a bunch of cornmeal MK brought me from Mt. Vernon so I am looking to use it.

My husband has been out to shovel snow twice today already.  The last time, a couple of hours ago, I made him hot chocolate for when he came back inside.  I can't tell you how long it's been since I made cocoa.  I also reheated for him the last of the pretzels I bought from Pretzel Bakery yesterday.  I took some of the pretzel, though :) .

With the mid-morning carb-loading snack, we'll be having lunch a little later than usual. That will be leftover stir-fry and brown rice with roasted squash.

Dinner will be beef barbacoa tacos (meat currently in the crock pot) and the fixings.

Last night was a tapas feast of Gildas (olive+anchovy+piparra pepper on a toothpick), Rioja-style potatoes and chorizo, blistered Padron peppers, setas al ajillo, and cheese (Valdeon and Manchego).  All went down nicely with a bottle of Rioja Reserva. Turning my parental warnings back on me, my 3-year old looked at me and said "Daddy, if you drink all that wine you'll pee the bed."  The wine was drunk and happily the bed remained dry.  His didn't.  Glass houses and all that...

Tonight will be lima bean gratin and...something.  And more wine.  And probably bourbon.

Tomorrow I'll roast the chicken I have dry-brining in the fridge, and make some cauliflower soup that has been a crowd pleaser for the adults on down to the 6-month old.

• Like 1

Pork shoulder is in the crockpot but got a late start.  Back up plan for dinner is Cincinnati style chili.

Breakfast was bacon and a package of Trader Joe's biscuits.

Everyone foraged for lunch--Mr. BLB made BL-3rd grader an omelette, reducing the number of eggs in the house to 13.  I had leftover meat sauce and Mr. BLB had cold cuts.

Last night's final indulgence was hot chocolate made with heavy cream and a good dose of vanilla extract.  Everyone got a very small portion and mine was heavily dosed with kahlua.

• Like 1

Last night was pork shoulder.  More baking for today.  At least making chocolate chip cookies, thinking about what else I want to make.  I want to make a more complex bread recipe, but we have a lot of bread in the fridge we need to eat as I thawed some leftover yeast rolls from the fridge and already bought a rosemary loaf for sandwiches.