What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Homemade gazpacho with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and peppers procured from the Bethesda Central Farm Market this very morning. Recipe is from Ina Garten's The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I've tried a lot of gazpacho recipes and this is the one I return to again and again, although I do cut back on the amount of EVOO.

That sounds delicious, I keep telling myself I need to make my own pita, what recipe did you use? I am picking at shredded crockpot beef, an angus chuck roast w/ Jamaican jerk seasoning & thinking it would be so good on top of an arepa or sope, w/ some avocado...

^ I used Deborah Madison's recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, though the one on epicurious meets a lot of approval, too. Froze 6 individually wrapped balls of dough after the first rise, baking four loaves only. Each takes about 3 minutes. Trick is not to roll them out like cookies or pizzas, but use a gentler touch in thinning out flattened dough.

Spicy Szechuan beef broth with pasta scraps left from making cappelletti.

Your faithful observance of an annual tradition gets my respect! I only made the 10-hour broth and over a hundred cappelletti one year, so I can't imagine!

(About to add fresh baby spinach to leftover Spanish chickpea stew, my version w a shallot-roasted yellow plum tomato sofrito. Probably will transform this into a bowl of soup w chicken stock, bits of carrot and stelle (bronze-cast, a supply of pasta stars that has lasted about 4-5 years.)

Pumpkin bread made with this recipe for the first time which I highly recommend!! I substituted butter for the oil and golden raisins for 1/3 of the nuts which I always store toasted. Light brown sugar, Meyer lemon zest vs. the extract and some bits of candied ginger, but not too much to compete w other flavors. Not at all too sweet. Perfectly splendid without cream cheese.

...Have to say, I really dig Stinking Bishop...mmm...

Very impressive! I was given some a couple of years ago as part of a Wallace and Gromit Christmas package assembled by Mr. lperry. He "hid" it in the fridge, and I kept trying to clean everything to get rid of the smell, then when it was brought out, I managed to get a bite down by holding my nose. I swear, they must feed the cows onions and nothing else. We gave it to a friend who loves super stinky French cheeses, and he pronounced it "wonderful."

A side-by-side seaweed comparison.

SeaSnax Grab & Go Rosted Seaweed Snack, Spicy Chipotle ("strangely addictive" indeed; these are amazing, just now ordered a sampler pack online)

vs.

Annie Chun's Roasted Seaweed Snacks, Sesame Flavor (good at first bite, bland by bite three; would be better as a salad add)

(sea vegetables)

(gawds i love them)

(sea monkeys would, too)

Annie Chun's Roasted Seaweed Snacks, Sesame Flavor (good at first bite, bland by bite three; would be better as a salad add)

...or as an inexpensive substitute for kombu which comes $6.49 a pack nearby. Feeling like miso soup w soba and tofu, something I make too infrequently to justify a new package of seaweed from Maine, I decided I could add some of AC's snacks to dried fish flakes and go from there. (Sort of like using catsup to make a ragu, I suspect.)

At any rate, your post got me curious, so I opened the pack up and have to say they are fabulous folded over a couple of thin slices of avocado moistened with Meyer lemon juice.

Leftover pulled pork* (with 2 kinds of bbq sauce) from Dixie bones. Reheated and made a sandwich with the pork and DB coleslaw (gratis with the doggie bag) on Dollar Store white bread.

*Got the 2 meat plate with half rack ribs, pulled pork, collards and beans. It comes with a roll too, but that was stale 2 days later. I eat the ribs and sides, and have a little taste of the pork, but generally get it packed up to go for lunch another day.

Love DB!

First strawberry shortcake of the season and one of best ever despite the fact that it's only April!

A farm in Southern Virginia, Garners brought several flats of fine strawberries to Penn Quarter yesterday. Best eaten straight away, no refrigeration, but quite good macerated the next day on top of a warm buttermilk biscuits w freshly whipped cream.

Porcupine, I think you may be right about the heavy cream. At least, I bought half a pint from Clear Spring Creamery and since I couldn't find the metal whisks for my hand-mixer, I beat about 3 oz. by hand w a fork. It took only 5 minutes in a frozen metal bowl, and while I am sure the low volume is also a factor, the cream was denser than I would have liked, if a strikingly yellow hue and quite flavorful. (I usually just cook with the cream and am never bothered by fat content since I simply use less of it than I would other creams.) Trickling Springs buttermilk (Fresh Friends or whatever the new brand name is) and a local AP flour w extra bran in it (PA, purchased at the Takoma Park food co-op).

Sour cherry crisp with cream poured over. I even wrote a haiku for it:

Sour cherry juice

Running over my fingers

Summer kicks booty

Want to share the recipe?

I just bought a big container of sour cherries at the market. Planning to pickle some of them, but probably not all and have no plans for the rest...

Want to share the recipe?

It was pretty simple. I had about 1 lb of cherries before pitting, so I added about 3/4 cup sugar to them and the juice and macerated them for 1/2 hour. Then I tossed in a couple teaspoons of cornstarch, strained the juices into a pot where I added a generous splash of Amaretto, and simmered until thickened. They could've gone a little longer, given that they weren't very viscous when the crisp was served, but I was happy.

I used the 1-cup streusel recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Pie and Pastry Bible," with a couple of tweaks. 1-1/2 T packed light brown sugar*, 1 T granulated sugar, 1/3 cup mixed almonds and oats (I chopped the almonds after measuring)**, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/3 cup unbleached AP flour, 3 T unsalted butter, 1/2 t vanilla, no salt because I missed the part of the ingredient list that called for a pinch. Mix sugars, flour, nuts, cinnamon, vanilla, and probably the salt, add softened butter and mix until approximately pea-sized with some larger clumps. RLB calls for pulsing the nuts, sugars, and cinnamon together in a food processor; adding the vanilla, butter, flour, and salt and pulsing until coarse and crumbly; then emptying the stuff into a bowl and pinching the mixture together until it forms clumps about 1/2 inch big. I don't have a food processor, so I just mixed up the dry stuff and vanilla, then cut the butter (cold) in with a pastry cutter.

Baking took about 25 minutes in a 400-degree oven.

*I actually used the same non-packed amount of Domino's "Brownulated" sugar because Azami bought it once instead of actual brown sugar in the belief that he was being helpful. I figured it couldn't do much damage here, and the crumble doesn't seem to have suffered for it.

**RLB calls for 1/3 cup of walnut or pecan halves. I had a smaller amount of almonds available, which is why I made up the difference with oats. Plus, I like oats on my crisps.

My 700th tomato and watermelon salad of the summer.

Yesterday, I found a baggie of cinnamon basil hanging on my front door, so I stopped by Whole Foods and bought 4 organic heirloom tomatoes, an organic seedless watermelon, and a decadently expensive Italian olive oil.

Prep time: 3 minutes

Equipment required: steak knife, teaspoon, bowl

Calories: 200-300

Cost: $5-ish

1) Rinse tomatoes and basil

2) Cut tomatoes with steak knife, dump into bowl

3) Half watermelon, spoon out with teaspoon, dump into bowl

4) Pick basil leaves, dump into bowl

5) Grind sel de mer into bowl

6) Drench with olive oil

7) Mix

I keep thinking I'm going to get sick of tomatoes, watermelon, and basil; unfortunately, I've developed a tolerance, so I have to eat twice as much just to satisfy my cravings. This dish cannot be ruined, even by me.

post-2-0-85147400-1344889575_thumb.jpg

My 700th tomato and watermelon salad of the summer.

<snip>

I keep thinking I'm going to get sick of tomatoes, watermelon, and basil; unfortunately, I've developed a tolerance, so I have to eat twice as much just to satisfy my cravings. This dish cannot be ruined, even by me.

You can change it up a little bit by adding some feta cheese. And mint instead of basil. A few olives. Some fresh lemon or lime juice. Just my 2 cents.

I meant to post the earlier - the other day I had a deep fried oreo at the county fair. It was crisp on the outside but soft on the inside, which I didn't really expect. Kinda freaked me out. Pretty good, but reeeeeeally needed some milk. Also had a Texas Twister dog, which was AWESOME. A surprisingly juicy random fair hot dog layered in a potato twist-sliced into chips. Fun fun fun then salad for dinner.