Bakeries

Nadya

A huge thanks to bkeith for the BCake he confected for my surprise birthday party last week. We feasted on this inspired example:

post-710-1170094219_thumb.jpg

Unf'nbelievable! He rendered the cast-iron skillet in heavy chocolate (fondant and marzipan?) over an almond cake, and expertly simulated bacon strips in a lemony marzipan. The slight blemishes are where we added and then removed some candles (visible at left).

Has anyone tried Sticky Fingers? They were featured on a recent episode of Road Tasted (a Food Network show; what can I say - I love Alton Brown and then sometimes you just don't change the channel). Everything looked terrific. We were actually going to place an order and schlep down there to pick it up, but our plans changed so we never tried it. However, my husband wants to try it, and so once we are beyond birding/hiking weather (e.g., aren't up and out the door at 5 a.m. or earlier), I would be willing to go down there to pick up some pastries. But wanted to get some input from Rockweilers first as to whether it is worth doing so....

Thanks!

Ellen

I want to whole-heartedly endorse Just Cakes in Bethesda for your birthday cake needs. I ordered a marble cake with a strawberry buttercream filling and cream cheese frosting for my birthday. The cake was dense and moist, and the icing was sweet without being overwhelming. The strawberry buttercream filling tasted very natural...you can tell they used real strawberry juice and not just some flavoring. However, the marble cake was mostly vanilla with just a swirl of chocolate throughout, so it wasn't half and half if that's what you're looking for. I had a carrot cake cupcake when I picked up my cake, and I almost regretted not getting that flavor.

They also do birthday parties, and we saw several little girls in there very seriously decorating their own cakes. Looked pretty fun to me!

I'm eating a piece of toasted pumpernickel with chevre and sliced field tomatoes and I realize *OMG! is this the last of my pumpernickel stash?*. Well it is. Mr. MV took my mom back to Philly and stopped at our favorite deli to stock up on ryes, swirled and pumpernickel loaves as well as bagels. But they were only open for those purchasing Yom Kippur platters. :angry:

So, does anyone know where to get good rye and pumpernickel bread? The German Store? Heidelberg Pastry?

Thanks.

I am interested to know if anyone has been to the Sweet Surrender bakery in Pentagon Row? I have seen it when I go shopping at the Harris Teeter there, and am wondering if it is worth checking out. I guess I could pop in there next time I am in the neighborhood but would love to know if it would be worth my while.

So, does anyone know where to get good rye and pumpernickel bread? The German Store? Heidelberg Pastry?

Thanks.

Although I am not a huge fan of their pastry, Heidelberg Bakery does have pretty good German style bread. I can't vouch for the pumpernickel, but the rye isnt bad and they have a pretty good multi-grain. Probably the best place to go in the area (Arlington/Alexandria) for that style of bread. If you are out in the BUrke area, then I would recommend The Swiss Bakery on Old Keene Mill Rd. and Lee Chapel.

I am interested to know if anyone has been to the Sweet Surrender bakery in Pentagon Row? I have seen it when I go shopping at the Harris Teeter there, and am wondering if it is worth checking out. I guess I could pop in there next time I am in the neighborhood but would love to know if it would be worth my while.

Their biscotti was pretty good--reminded me of my grandmother's madelbrot. I haven't tried anything else there.

Their biscotti was pretty good--reminded me of my grandmother's madelbrot. I haven't tried anything else there.

On a few occasions, I have bought things from their "day old" shelf--bags of plain or almond croissants, and macaroons. The croissants are good, heated up. And the macaroons are delicious.

Probably the best place to go in the area (Arlington/Alexandria) for that style of bread. If you are out in the BUrke area, then I would recommend The Swiss Bakery on Old Keene Mill Rd. and Lee Chapel.

The Swiss Bakery also has a relatively new location on Braddock Road and Port Royal, right near 495. Pretty darned good pastries. Very helpful employees.

On a few occasions, I have bought things from their "day old" shelf--bags of plain or almond croissants, and macaroons. The croissants are good, heated up. And the macaroons are delicious.
Thanks! I'll check it out, then, next time I shop at the Harris Teeter.

I also wanted to mention that I was at a birthday celebration last night and they had a cake from Just Cakes that was just delicious. It was a chocolate layer cake with raspberry buttercream and fresh berries. Their cakes really have a homemade flavor, that I would not be able to produce at home! The cake itself was dense and moist and the frosting was rich and had a wonderful raspberry flavor.

Having crossed off making Christmas cookies from the list of possible activities this week, I need to go buy some.

I just want some sugar cookies, maybe a butter cookie or two and a decent shortbread. Icing is nice but essential. Not dry and crumbly much more important! Location--willing to drive if BLBaby will sleep in car.

Where should I go?

Thanks!

I just want some sugar cookies, maybe a butter cookie or two and a decent shortbread. Icing is nice but essential.
A bit late, but Mother's Macroons in Arlington has really cute Easter-themed iced shortbreads right now. Otherwise, Dairy Godmother's vanilla lavendar cookies are really good, but not iced.

Al Dente's request for an appropriate restaurant to take a vegan CEO also brought to mind restaurants that were not perfect even if they were run by wildly successful mavericks, such as Ray's The Steak. Couldn't quite come up with an appropriate name for a new venture should ML decide to minimize animal products and feature produce from local farms, but should he ever respond to the need for a really good, affordable strip mall-type bakery:

Ray's 'N Bread