The Majestic, Old Town Alexandria - Reopen on May 24, 2016 - Chef Graham Duncan Replaces Gaby Hakman

Anyone care to hypothesize on what happened here? I don't want to get all gossipy, just trying to understand what happened.

If I look at this like a football team, the owner doesn't sell the team just because the coach takes another job. They just find a new coach.

Why would the Armstrong's bail on an operation that was successful? (maybe my confusion is because I thought they owned the Majestic and not just ran it, (or whatever they did))

Seems clear from what has been published and confirmed by both the Chef and the Armstrongs.

She'd been working in kitchens with all the attendant nights and weekends since she was 14. The new opportunity is more 9-5 and likely pays decently. Nothing suspicious about that. Very happy for her. She has done a great job and deserves to have a life beyond a kitchen.

For the Armstrongs, their empire has expanded and they have new things in store. For them, she was the foundation of the Majestic. There may have been an opt-out type clause anticipating this very contingency. Sen Mark Warner and his wife still own Majestic. They'll get a new chef and maybe not skip too many beats.

Thanks.  I got the part about the chef.

I was wondering about the Armstrongs and their "expanding" empire.  In the last couple years they "lost" Virtue Feed and Grain, PX in Arlington (or was it Eamons?......one of them) and now The Majestic.  It just seemed strange to me that one employee leaving "caused" them to leave the business.  Jeter retired, but the Steinbrenner's still own the Yankees.

But as you said, maybe there was some contractual thing going on, or maybe there was some behind scene friction between the parties

• Like 1

I opened an email today "Farewell, but not goodbye" reporting that The Majestic on King St is no longer part of Eat Good Food Group, as of close on Jan 17. The message thanks guests for helping bring back The Majestic over the past 8 years and "We wish the Majestic well as she goes into new hands. Please look forward to our next delicious ventures as we search for a new home!"

They didn't bring back the Majestic, it never went anywhere.

It didn't and it did.

Was anyone under the impression that Eat Good Food Group owned (whatever "owned" means these days) both The Majestic and Virtue Feed and Grain?

Assuming they were under a consulting agreement to run the operations, and the equity owners didn't change, I'm not sure I would have started a separate thread (the decision to start new threads is entirely mathematical, and I'm not sure this meets the criteria). Well, no harm done I suppose.

Was anyone under the impression that Eat Good Food Group owned (whatever "owned" means these days) both The Majestic and Virtue Feed and Grain?

I was.

I don't read press releases and articles like an attorney looking for a loophole, but I thought the Armstrongs owned both of those places. It came as a shock to me when they cut ties with both Virtue and the Majestic, both for the fact that they were cutting ties but more so for the fact that they weren't owners in the first place.

• Like 2

I was.

I don't read press releases and articles like an attorney looking for a loophole, but I thought the Armstrongs owned both of those places. It came as a shock to me when they cut ties with both Virtue and the Majestic, both for the fact that they were cutting ties but more so for the fact that they weren't owners in the first place.

Same here. Though less "shock" on the ownership stuff since owner/operator structures aren't that unusual and things can be fairly complicated with any business and different classes of owners/investors.

It didn't and it did.

I knew they didn't, but I also work by Virtue and one of the other principles is on the board of a charity I am on.  So am probably a little more familiar.  I knew they gave up Virtue a while back, there was a pretty big switch of menu when that happened.  I wasn't sure exactly what the Majestic details were.  I know that opening Society Fair, and that huge rent, put a squeeze on things, as well as, the litigation over the patio at Virtue. I also think that PX and Eve are less "sexy" than they used to be.  There are now lots of craft cocktail places, although they aren't in Alexandria.

It will be interesting to see any changes at Majestic.  I was there about a month ago for lunch and it was very good.  I appreciate in some ways that they don't really do different food, but the things they make they made with a lot of care.  For example their BLT was really good.

I knew they didn't, but I also work by Virtue and one of the other principles is on the board of a charity I am on.  So am probably a little more familiar.  I knew they gave up Virtue a while back, there was a pretty big switch of menu when that happened.  I wasn't sure exactly what the Majestic details were.  I know that opening Society Fair, and that huge rent, put a squeeze on things, as well as, the litigation over the patio at Virtue. I also think that PX and Eve are less "sexy" than they used to be.  There are now lots of craft cocktail places, although they aren't in Alexandria.

It will be interesting to see any changes at Majestic.  I was there about a month ago for lunch and it was very good.  I appreciate in some ways that they don't really do different food, but the things they make they made with a lot of care.  For example their BLT was really good.

Katelin, I think when they parted ways with Virtue, everyone realized at that point that they weren't owners (I wasn't trying to imply that people still thought they owned it).

And that menu *has* contracted in a big way, and not for the better. The Chef de Cuisine came from Cafe Tu-O-Tu.

No, but I think a lot of people didn't really know (maybe they knew about Virtue, but not Majestic)! I just don't think a lot of people pay attention they hear a chef is opening a restaurant, but don't often hear about the later events.  and given the Eat Good Food Group presence in Alexandria, I think they assumed ownership.  I did at first.

I have a bad feeling they are going to downgrade their bacon, it was really good.  The Majestic was like the perfect place to go to lunch with someone a little more picky, but didn't make you feel like you compromised.  

• Like 1

And the key bit of news:

"...new chef, Jorge Pimentel, the former owner of the Sabor'a Street food truck who would later cook at the Brixton, Satellite Room and El Rey."

A bit concerned about this as the new owners talk about restaurants just "needing to be refreshed" like "Broadway shows" that "don't run forever" and more focus on the key being a "core group of regulars" versus the plan to motivate such loyalty. More focus on profit growth than the food and experience which drives it?

All said, the proof, of course, will be in the tasting.

Bless their hearts, I had the most awkward dinner experience at the Majestic last night.  We went in no reservations after playing the Escape Room, which was a lot of fun.  We were a group of seven.  They could get us in right away, which was great.  Our server was very nice, but immediately from ordering drinks, on, she either absolutely couldn't hear what any of us said, or was really unfamiliar with the menu and asked to repeat or point to things.  We ordered a bottle of malbec (only one on the menu) and we had to point out which one, a friend tried ordering two different beers, one they were out of, both times had to repeat it and then show her on the menu.  This continued.  Then the server said they were out of pot roast, so we ordered burgers, meatloaf (which comes with a veg that isn't mentioned on the menu), shrimp and grits and something else.  Again, a really hard time understanding us.  Our friends ordered pimento cheese, it never came, wasn't on the bill, our other friend wanted the pork belly starter and they were out of it.  Then she came back to the table and told us they could only do two orders of meatloaf, so I changed to fried chicken, but then she said they had pot roast, lots of it (I wish I would have known this before I volunteered because MK loves pot roast and also ordered meatloaf), oh well.  I forgot the fried chicken didn't come with a vegetable.

Then they delivered plates of entrees in dribbles, a few at a time, which is awkward for a really polite group of people with food getting cold, even though others tell them to go ahead.  I got my chicken and the chicken was huge, really an unnecessary amount of chicken for one person, it came with what was supposed to be biscuits, but was more like a loaf of bread made with biscuit dough, which tasted fine, but not as good as biscuits would be.  I asked for a side of collard greens because I wanted some sort of veg, and they brought that out really quickly.  Anyway, it was fine, but the service was really awkward, and the food fine, but not worth all that really.  Also I really get peeved when you have sides you can buy on the menu, but you don't mention actual sides that come with each dish because people should be able to plan when to order a side or not.  I felt like on my dish, they could have done less chicken and included an actual side so easily.  Anyway it was just a really awkward restaurant experience.

• Like 4

And they're closing again...temporarily, according to an email sent out today:

FAREWELL WEEK - WE'LL BE BACK SOON 

We will temporarily close for eight weeks to make interior updates, introduce a new chef/proprietor, and create a fantastic new menu.

Come dine at The Majestic through Sunday, March 13, 2016 before we temporarily close to make some changes and create an all-new, exciting concept for our restaurant. 

Alexandria Restaurant Partners is excited to make improvements to the interior, including the design and decor of the dining room and bar, and is excited to announce the introduction of Chef/Proprietor Gaby Hakman to lead the culinary direction at The Majestic.

Architectural and design changes are mentioned, as well as "a contemporary menu of uncomplicated and robust plates, with flavors that hint of her [Chef Hakman's] Mediterranean palate, while offering guests delicious and memorable offerings."

Went for Father's day brunch this past Sunday with a group of 10 people. Had reservations and were seated promptly.  Service was excellent--they were prepared for the rush and were communicative without being obtrusive.  Had the fried chicken and waffles which was excellent--tabasco butter and possibly some bourbon in the syrup.  Wife had eggs in purgatory which was good as well.  Other standouts were a kale salad with pine nuts.  Bacon was a good product--thick cut with good flavor.  Home fries were a bust.  Cheese polenta was okay.   Overall a very good meal with excellent service.  Eager to try them out on a normal night.  Given the dearth of good food on King street, I will settle for decent food with excellent service.

• Like 3

The Majestic had been off our radar for a while after two mediocre visits after their reopening. 

We tried wednesday night wince were walking up from Captain Gregory's and decided to give a try.  The Exec Chef is now Graham Duncan and the staff has once again returned to the service level I got when I went long ago.  I had the Charred Lamb and Pooch had the Bronzini.  We were quite pleased and will be returning.

• Like 3