Vitamix High-Speed Blenders - Are They Worth It?

clayrae

channel surfing, saw QVC doing a "vitamix event" from 6-7pm. $363 free shpg. It's called "vitamix Creations II" I'm not sure how this is same or different from ones @ Costco. 48 oz jar . 2500 left... :)

eta-it's been redesigned to fit on the countertop underneath std cabinets

Learned earlier today that the Kentlands WF is having a Vitamix event beginning on January 26th and running for several days -- not sure of the end date. Demos and sales will take place in the produce department beginning at 10:00 am each day -- not sure about the ending time.

So, I finally took my new Vitamix 5200 out of the box today. Following directions, I cleaned it by filling it halfway with water and a couple of drops of dish detergent and then turned it on High. Woah! The thing was so powerful that I actually jumped back from the counter. It makes my KitchenAid Blender seem like a child's toy. Hopefully, I'll get used to it and won't have a near-heart attack every time I fire it up.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has made any of the dozens of recipes that are included in the 3-ring binder that comes with the Vitamix 5200? If so, I'd be interested in your reviews. Thanks!

Hopefully, I'll get used to it and won't have a near-heart attack every time I fire it up.

Always start with it on the "variable" setting and with the number set low. Then turn up the speed with the number dial. I don't use the "high" setting that often. Once you switch it to "high" there's no variability to the speed, and you don't want to start with it set on high, because stuff will fly out of the top.

With the Vitamix, it's more a matter of techniques than of recipes. Put liquid or soft ingredients in first, then add solids on top of the liquids. One useful tip I got from calling their customer service line, not from the cookbook, is that if you have a lot of heavy stuff you are grinding and don't have much in the way of liquid or liquifiable ingredients, start with a small amount and then, with the motor running, take out the clear plastic piece in the top, and drop stuff in through the hole.

Always start with it on the "variable" setting and with the number set low. Then turn up the speed with the number dial. I don't use the "high" setting that often. Once you switch it to "high" there's no variability to the speed, and you don't want to start with it set on high, because stuff will fly out of the top.

Thanks, Zora. After reading a bit more deeply into the directions, I see that I started in 5th gear instead of first. Won't make that mistake again!

Thanks, Zora. After reading a bit more deeply into the directions, I see that I started in 5th gear instead of first. Won't make that mistake again!

I've been starting on the lowest setting and turning the speed up judiciously. I kick it into high for short bursts, particularly when I'm grinding chickpeas into flour. Which, btw, the Vitamix should come with head gear to protect against hearing loss!

I've been starting on the lowest setting and turning the speed up judiciously. I kick it into high for short bursts, particularly when I'm grinding chickpeas into flour. Which, btw, the Vitamix should come with head gear to protect against hearing loss!

Yeah, you need to be careful because things get really hot on high due to friction. Heat during grinding degrades freshly ground flour, and almost defeats the purpose.

Finally my overloaded mac and cheese will be silky smooth. I have always had an issue with my sauce either being slightly grity due to too much cheese, or some of the cheese starting to break, not any more - a brief spin the the Vitamix and it is smooth and creamy, and no signs of breakage. Now I wonder if I could get more cheese into it...

Which, btw, the Vitamix should come with head gear to protect against hearing loss!

I *hear* ya!

Well, our vitamix had its maiden voyage this morning and it was a huge success. I should say that my husband wasn't too thrilled that I spent so much on a 'blender.' However, after he made his daily protein shake in the Vitamix this morning, he's singing a different tune. He said it was lightyears better in texture and flavor than the shakes he's been making for years in the KitchenAid. Now, it looks like I'm going to have to stand in line to use it!

Finally my overloaded mac and cheese will be silky smooth. I have always had an issue with my sauce either being slightly grity due to too much cheese, or some of the cheese starting to break, not any more - a brief spin the the Vitamix and it is smooth and creamy, and no signs of breakage. Now I wonder if I could get more cheese into it...

Building on Zora's comment about heat, I was somewhat surprised that the Vitamix (dry container) isn't the bee's knees when it comes to grinding Parmesan. Cheese + heat (from high speed blades) = melting.

Building on Zora's comment about heat, I was somewhat surprised that the Vitamix (dry container) isn't the bee's knees when it comes to grinding Parmesan. Cheese + heat (from high speed blades) = melting.

I can see that. I used my trusty old food processor for gratting the cheese, and only loaded the sauce into the Vitamix after all the cheese had melted. My wife absolutely loved it (especially the heavy hand I used with the blue cheese in this batch).

After test-driving a disappointing slow-cooker recipe for a gumbo that yielded an awful texture, I used my Vitamix to recover from my failed experiment. A smooth puree with great flavor. Just wanted to point out that having a Vitamix can expand your options to avert disaster.

My vitamix gets used primarily for two things: soups & margaritas

t

Cook up some vegetables , put in blender, add stock , whirr..add more stock if necessary. Turns into velvet

Margaritas - come on - you KNOW they're good in this thing. No crystals, no ice clumps, just great smooth frosty frozen drinks.

It also makes great smoothies. You can put the whole darn apple in, no need to peel or de-seed.

It also makes great smoothies. You can put the whole darn apple in, no need to peel or de-seed.

You can put whole carrots and beets in, too, although they work better chunked. Peel or scrub first, of course. And you can put relatively intact oranges or lemons in, too, peel and all. Wash them first, and cut into pieces but they don't have to be small pieces. They say the peel and pith are good for you, and the seeds are vaporized.

The Vitamix ladies will also put in strawberries without removing the hulls. You would not actually notice the hulls when they have been Vitamixed, but that's a bit much for me.

Thinking about my Christmas list this morning rather than work, so I looked into where Vitamix demos are coming up in the area.

Found the following information

Whole Foods: DC (Wisconsin Ave) and Chevy Chase, 11/30/2011 - 12/4/2011

Costco: Fairfax (West Ox Rd), Fredericksburg,12/12/2011 - 12/24/2011

Do I *really* need one...can I find space for it in the kitchen...

Signs point to yes!

I've seen the new. lower profile design. Presumably this is to deal with complaints that the traditional Vitamix was too tall to fit on a counter under an upper cabinet. I wonder if the capacity of the blender jar is smaller as a result. And I hope they have not reduced the motor's power--that would defeat the purpose of owning it.

You won't regret it. My Vitamix is my #1 favorite kitchen machine, followed by my Cuisinart food processor, Rancilio coffee grinder and Saeco espresso maker. Those get used every day and reside on my crowded counter. The 35 year-old Kitchen-Aid mixer and its attachments live in a cupboard, since they are used only occasionally. Don't ask me to part with any of them. I sure would love to have a bigger kitchen, though.

I've been considering getting a Vitamix some time when they have them on special at Costco. My Cuisinart processor is 20 years old and my Oster blender is even older than that. I'd need to give up at least one (if not both) of them to have the room for a Vitamix, so I keep hemming and hawing.

I've been considering getting a Vitamix some time when they have them on special at Costco. My Cuisinart processor is 20 years old and my Oster blender is even older than that. I'd need to give up at least one (if not both) of them to have the room for a Vitamix, so I keep hemming and hawing.

I donated a relatively new Hamilton Beach blender when I got my Vitamix. Just don't need it. I wouldn't give up a food processor though. I need to replace my old Cuisinart with a newer model that has a deeper bowl to hold more volume. A recent spillover on my island almost had me buying one!

You won't regret it. My Vitamix is my #1 favorite kitchen machine, followed by my Cuisinart food processor, Rancilio coffee grinder and Saeco espresso maker. Those get used every day and reside on my crowded counter. The 35 year-old Kitchen-Aid mixer and its attachments live in a cupboard, since they are used only occasionally. Don't ask me to part with any of them. I sure would love to have a bigger kitchen, though.

I'm stoked, especially, having just stepped outside, for making ice cream and fruit smoothies. I may even leave it on the counter to spur more regular use. (I've got a lot of counter space, but it's an open kitchen, so I try to keep the clutter to a minimum.) (But I still really wish these things weren't so ugly.) My blender was a cheap-o when I bought it 10 years ago, and I can't believe it's sputtered on for so long, though with some things I swear a potato masher would do just as well.

You can also make sorbet with frozen fruit, like mango--available in bags from Trader Joe's. It really works! Great for making mayo and aioli, vinaigrette, red or green enchilada sauce, molé, adobo, fresh pea soup or any pureed soup, hummous, tzaziki, jeez louise. I have heard that people buy them just to make smoothies...

You can also make sorbet with frozen fruit, like mango--available in bags from Trader Joe's. It really works! Great for making mayo and aioli, vinaigrette, red or green enchilada sauce, molé, adobo, fresh pea soup or any pureed soup, hummous, tzaziki, jeez louise. I have heard that people buy them just to make smoothies...

Oh lord no--not just to make smoothies. That's just aspirational. I love smoothies, but my current blender can't handle ice (or even, like, a grumpy apple), so I never make them. But I make blended soups all the time, and the idea of not having to turn on the stove is almost fantastical to me, as is the idea that I can add any ingredient to them, no matter the texture. And there's ice cream. And there's peanut butter. SO MUCH STUFF. Basically, I am excited to have a blender that works, and doubly excited to explore how much awesomer it is than any previous blender I've had.

A Vitamix won't replace the Cuisinart but it will replace the blender. I keep the Vitamix on the counter and the Cuisinart in another storage area with the crockpots and the rice cooker. I use the Vitamix every day for a protein smoothie before I run out the door to work, so it may be more realistic to say that I keep it in the sink, soaking, until I get back home at night. (Don't want to mess up my work clothes).

The company literature says "It cleans itself" if you process a batch of water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid, but "it cleans itself" does not apply to fish oil and the oil from coconut milk (components of my breakfast smoothie). You do need to scrub those out, by hand. I wish I could put it through the dishwasher.

Have I mentioned that I really like the "ice cream" it makes from frozen fruit? Banana is my favorite, but peach is nice, too. Ordinary mortal blenders can't do that.

I wish I could put it through the dishwasher.

Wait--you can't put it in the dishwasher? Oops... (For my purposes, processing it with dish soap and water works, but I've been putting it in the dishwasher once a week to sanitize.)

Mention more, please?

You need to add something liquidy for the texture. You might prefer milk, or heavy cream, or half and half. I like almond milk or kefir, the less, the better. And if it's not sweet, you need to put in something sweet. Frozen ripe bananas are plenty sweet. I have diabetes so the only sweetener I use is stevia. You use the tamper while the mix is running. It's done when you see four little mounds on the top of the puree, one at each corner of the container.

This is the strawberry ice cream recipe from the Vitamix site.

http://www.vitamix.com/recipes/

There are even videos on youtube. This one is pretty funny.

Here is a cute vidoe by a real Vitamix lady. Shows the tamping procedure and the four little mounds.

BTDT. Why can't it be cleaned in the dishwasher? Is it only due to heat from the drier (which can/should be turned off anyway)?

I dunno but at that price, I am taking their word for it.

BTDT. Why can't it be cleaned in the dishwasher? Is it only due to heat from the drier (which can/should be turned off anyway)?

I think that it's because the base is aluminum, which shouldn't be put in the dishwasher. And the other concern is that the heat of the water and drier cycle will damage the gaskets/seals.

Thanks for that. We got one as a wedding gift this summer and it's the exact model listed. We definitely didn't register for it --felt guilty about registering for such an expensive blender, so we registered for a $60 Oster. But my wife's aunt, who performed our ceremony, showed up two days before the wedding with a new Vitamix for us so we promptly returned the Oster and have loved the Vitamix.

• Like 1

As I have said here many times, I use mine just about every day for one task or another. Recently, I've used it to make a vinaigrette that stayed emulsified for days. I used it last week to make dulce de membrillo, which started as stewed fruit that I pureed in the VM, including the quince peel and lemon peel. Typically, one would make the stewed pieces of quince into a puree in a food mill that would strain out the peel, because leaving the peels on in a lesser blender leaves little gritty bits in the puree. The VM is so powerful, that the solids are completely liquified. Being able to include the peel has advantages: more volume, and therefore more of the finished product; and there is a huge amount of natural pectin in quince peel that helps to thicken and solidify the quince paste.

And, as an aside, kudos to Vitamix for their handling of the recall that monavano linked to above.  Our Vitamix was one of the ones recalled.  They shipped us a perfectly sized box to put our container in.  We shipped it back, and they immediately sent us a new container (plus a free blender drink recipe book for our trouble).  Whole thing was done in a week without any hassle.

And, as an aside, kudos to Vitamix for their handling of the recall that monavano linked to above.  Our Vitamix was one of the ones recalled.  They shipped us a perfectly sized box to put our container in.  We shipped it back, and they immediately sent us a new container (plus a free blender drink recipe book for our trouble).  Whole thing was done in a week without any hassle.

Same here, plus they extended the warranty a year

So, now I have a Vitamix, and I also got about 2 lbs of jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) from my parther's parents' farm.  I am thinking soup.  Anyone have any good recipes?  I found this one on the web http://eagleloftkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/10/sunchoke-soup.html but was hoping to find one where I did not have to cook anything in advance and it would just heat up in the blender...

Friction heat, which the Vitamix will create if it is left running long enough, is kind of a demo gimmick, IMO. Or maybe something one would do if a stovetop were not available. It is better to cook your soup base for awhile, before pureeing it in the blender, in order to create depth of flavor. Simmer your stock (chicken or vegetable) with aromatic herbs (parsley, thyme, bayleaf) and onion and/or garlic and leek, celery, fennel. After 15 or 29 minutes add the jerusalem artichokes and cook until softened just a little bit. Then puree. You may want to add a little bit of cream or Greek yogurt, lemon zest and a bit of lemon juice, and of course salt and white pepper. I just looked at the recipe you linked to, and it is very similar to my suggestion, since all vegetable-based soups are basically the same. But rice milk? Not so sure about that, unless you are making a vegan soup.

Yeah, I was already planning on replacing the rice milk with regular old trickling springs 2% :)

Thanks for the invaluable advice you provide on DR, Zora.  I have never met you, but from what I've seen on here, I'd trust your advice over most famous "experts!"

I am reading Modernist Cuisine by Nathan Mygevold. Volume 4 has a quick ditty on How to Hyperdecant Wine. Pour wine into ordinary blender (pic of Vitamix). Use highest setting to blend 30-60 seconds. Allow froth to subside and serve.

A paragraph on shock value and how shocked wine experts prefer hyperdecanted wines in blind tastings.

Most effective "on younger red wines, but it can improve some white wines as well." Oxygenation and outgassing are the two phenomena at play here.