Costco (1983-, Formerly Price Club (1976-1997) - A Washington-Based, Membership-Only Retailer - the Second-Largest Retailer in the World

Pat

Despite the fact that you can get some great deals at Costco, and even get wine if you go to the ones in Virginia, I let my membership lapse earlier this year. I realized I basically went there 2-3 times a year and loaded up on a core set of things only. I hate the lines and the $50 or whatever the annual fee is now is probably more than I was saving on the good deals I might have gotten. Plus, for a two person household, it kind of doesn't make sense, given the huge size of the packages offered there. Am I the only one?

We are a two person household and are exec members and have the Costco Amex card. We typically go there 3 times a month, mostly to buy fruit, but sometimes other products. We manage to spend a ton and I think save a ton. For example, contact lenses, if you wear them, are dirt cheap and easily pay for the membership fee just by buying them for a year for one person. Very happy i'm a member.

We are a two person household and are exec members and have the Costco Amex card. We typically go there 3 times a month, mostly to buy fruit, but sometimes other products. We manage to spend a ton and I think save a ton. For example, contact lenses, if you wear them, are dirt cheap and easily pay for the membership fee just by buying them for a year for one person. Very happy i'm a member.

We call Costco the $100 club. In Richmond, we lived *literally* around the corner from a Costco. Oh, so dangerous! Acutally, it worked out really well, since we'd just bought our first house PLUS, it had gas.

We have an executive membership, and with our AmEx, get a rebate that at least covers the membership fee. We buy soooooo much more than food there.

It also helps that we have a 17cf freezer in our basement :)

What she said.

We also have an executive membership and every July we receive a check that covers our membership cost and more (provided that we've bought the requisite amount during the year.)

We make as few visits as possible to Costco and actually buy very little food there, mainly many bags of frozen berries and cartons of fresh fruit for my husband who eats 4 pieces of fruit every evening. (I prefer my fruit to be organic and from my local farmers market and I consume it at a slower pace.) We have a chest freezer in our garage where we store the bags of frozen berries and lots of meat from various sources. This freezer is the best investment we ever made. We can take advantage of sales and just store it in the freezer.

Mainly, we buy all of our paper goods and cleaning supplies from Costco: paper towels, Kleenex, toilet paper, printer paper etc.; cartons of Seltzer water; dish washer and laundry detergents, trash bags. Having a garage in which to store all of this helps. We know we are saving money over buying it at our local grocery store. If we didn't have this storage space, we probably wouldn't be shopping at Costco.

We are a two-person household, but we love our Executive membership - though, a lot of the best values have nothing to do with food. Vitamins, supplements, contact solution, etc, seem to make up a good portion of our purchases. We do both pack our lunches every day, so for things we eat all the time (peanut butter/jelly, bread, salty and/or sweet snacks), we like not having to go to the supermarket to refill once a week - that way, my trips to the smaller grocery stores/markets are for specific ingredients for dinner recipes. Oh, and I adore Costco's rotisserie chicken - much bigger and meatier than their Publix/Kroger counterparts, and perfect for quick weeknight meals (and doggie treats, haha).

We probably go once every 1.5 to 2 months, so the crowds don't bother me too much. And now I want a chest freezer for my new house...

We are a two-person household, but we love our Executive membership - though, a lot of the best values have nothing to do with food. Vitamins, supplements, contact solution, etc, seem to make up a good portion of our purchases. We do both pack our lunches every day, so for things we eat all the time (peanut butter/jelly, bread, salty and/or sweet snacks), we like not having to go to the supermarket to refill once a week - that way, my trips to the smaller grocery stores/markets are for specific ingredients for dinner recipes. Oh, and I adore Costco's rotisserie chicken - much bigger and meatier than their Publix/Kroger counterparts, and perfect for quick weeknight meals (and doggie treats, haha).

We probably go once every 1.5 to 2 months, so the crowds don't bother me too much. And now I want a chest freezer for my new house...

We recently rejoined and, to me, prices overall aren't as competitive as they were a few years ago. You can purchase large quantities but the price isn't better than purchasing say 2 of a smaller size from another retailer; however the convenience factor with the larger size does add value I guess. There are more organic products which is a plus.

Costco's rack of pork is back in the cooler section in the Sterling store. This is the same cut as a rack of lamb, but obviously larger. We got one last year and were sorry to see them disappear. I coated today's purchase in zataar and roasted it at 350 for an hour, yielding porky perfection, an excellent smelling house, and 2.5 meals for my family of 3.

Costco's rack of pork is back in the cooler section in the Sterling store. This is the same cut as a rack of lamb, but obviously larger. We got one last year and were sorry to see them disappear. I coated today's purchase in zataar and roasted it at 350 for an hour, yielding porky perfection, an excellent smelling house, and 2.5 meals for my family of 3.

Thank you for mentioning this. I bought a rack at the Springfield Costco yesterday. Also picked up a Rachael Ray Chillout Thermal Tote for $15.99 (sells for $29.99 on Amazon). I brought it to the Dupont market today and thought it to be comfortable and it kept our food good and cold. Usually, we bring a separate insulated soft cooler for our meats etc., but this way, the bag is our cooler, so no forgetting and no having to stop home if we need to do other errands.

It also came with a smaller separate tote as seen on the Amazon link.

Found the rack of pork this evening at the Pentagon City Costco... I think it was the last one, but I'm sure they'll replenish... I've actually never cooked a full rack... any suggestions - or just the 350 for an hour as mentioned above?

In the "vegetable cooler" room, they had a large crate of the fresh Chanterelle mushrooms again - $8.99 for a pound. :)

They had quite a few of these at the Winchester store, picked up the largest one I could find, 6.3 pounds at $3.89 a pound. Will serve roasted with their fingerling potatoes for a pre-Thanksgiving meal.

Also, I have gotten their Prime Top Sirlions the last couple of visits, which are very good at $5.99 a pound.

A bad place (kind of) to get warm when your power is out is Costco. We went looking for a thing or two, just to get out of the cold house, and wound up with things like Victoria all natural Marinara Sauce.

This sauce reminds me of the red sauce Italian restaurants of my youth. You know, when most entrees came with a side of sauced spaghetti and powder Parm-ish stuff? It's got an honest tomato flavor. Nothing upscale, nothing fancy. Just plain good.

Vitamix doesn't have to cost that much. You are paying for three containers, one 64 ounce wet container, which is standard, and two 32 ounce containers, one wet, one dry. You don't really need two wet containers, and the dry container is for grinding flour from grain, and similar tasks. You may want that, you may not. I bought one but haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

Also the Costco Vitamix bundle includes a sauce pan, which you probably already have. Admittedly it is a fancy Neova waterless sauce pan, whatever that is. And you also get a cookbook for your fancy Neova waterless sauce pan. My guess -- I could be wrong -- is that you need a Neova waterless sauce pan and cookbook like you need like a hole in the head.

And some cutting boards and spatulas. Which you also probably already have.

Looks to me like a nice pricey little upscale gift for a bride or someone moving into their first apartment.

But if you just want a Vitamix, this is not the droid you are looking for.

The sous vide cooker, though, that looks interesting . . . .

Anything that takes me out of hovering-by-the-stove-to-make-sure-things-don't-burn mode looks very interesting these days.

Thanks Ilaine! I was wondering why that Vitamix was $200+ more than their cash-n-carry version. I think I'll pass as well (though I'd be thrilled if anyone decide to send me *that* for a wedding present :))

Here's a pretty exhaustive discussion about home sous vide setups.

I absolutely love Costco. One thing I wanted to mention about the meat; many world class BBQ competitors get their meat (at least beef) from Costco.

I never, ever go near the one in Gaithersburg. i think it is literally a gateway to hell; that is the only explanation for its horrific awfulness. it has two tiered parking, except you cannot get the carts down to the bottom level, unless you were to go down and around the entire block. It is always completely wall-to-wall packed with people. And apparently all the really rotten drivers in this area all shop at that Costco. I have never been rammed into or run over with carts so much anywhere else in my entire life. And then the lines for checkout. Absolutely endless. We usually drive up to Frederick. i will go to the Leesburg one if i happen to be on that side of the river. That is a great store. if you hit it on a Friday night, hardly another person in there.

I do have some gripes. First, more than once i have seen stuff in there magazine that i could never find in a store. One was a book, and another was end tables. But in both instances, these were items that were highlighted in the mag, yet i never found in a store ( even looking when in other states). the tables were in several issues of Costco mags, highlighted over and over. never saw a store in which they were stock. VERY annoying. Second, please carry Pampers! LOL! This is clearly more specific to me, but we don't use Huggies or Kirkland. And i wont go to Sam's Club. I don't patronize the Evil empire.

I never, ever go near the one in Gaithersburg... And then the lines for checkout. Absolutely endless.

Park on the south side of the lot, in the back, on the upper level or the apron going down. I always find a spot quickly. And if you come down the side aisle, towards the registers, rather than the main aisle, you can get to a shorter checkout line quicker.

Yes, the store is 1000% more hectic than Frederick, but I can't imagine spending an extra hour to drive past the Gaithersburg store all the way to Frederick and back.

Gaithersburg Costco sucks even when you go on a weekday. The employees just seem more brusque and the displays are more disheveled compared to other Costcos. I don't think it's a volume issue, since Pentagon City probably has a similar amount of foot traffic but seems to be much better managed.

But the thing that really bugs me about the Gaithersburg Costco is the rotten produce from their walk-in area. My parents are lucky if salad mixes from there last 4 days before putrifying, whereas I typically get week+ with salad mixes (same brand and everything) from other area Costco locations. This problem has been going on for years and they've never tried to fix it.

But the thing that really bugs me about the Gaithersburg Costco is the rotten produce from their walk-in area. My parents are lucky if salad mixes from there last 4 days before putrifying, whereas I typically get week+ with salad mixes (same brand and everything) from other area Costco locations. This problem has been going on for years and they've never tried to fix it.

I wonder if that's a problem with their fridge? When I buy the multi-packs of lettuce there, it's normally close to 2 weeks before I start picking leaves and tossing stuff.

I take it you've never been to the one in Pentagon City. :)

I thought that was the nearest one to us and was not happy with our first visit there, between the parking and gruff service. But, I found the Springfield location is actually a bit closer and from all accounts, far, far more civilized, friendly, helpful and accessible.

Just wish it had gasoline.

I take it you've never been to the one in Pentagon City. :)

I have been to the Pentagon City location often, although not in the last few years. I still would prefer it to the G'burg location. I know someone else also posted about the drive to Frederick. i would still rather do that drive than deal with the G'burg Costco. completely worth it. and will be even more so when i can combine it with a trip to Wegmans. germantown and gaithersburg is becoming a clogged, foresaken wasteland of rotten stores and even worse traffic. been to Lakeforest recently? Even Montgomery Mall is sinking into yuckness. but i digress...no Gaithersburg Costco for me

I wonder if that's a problem with their fridge? When I buy the multi-packs of lettuce there, it's normally close to 2 weeks before I start picking leaves and tossing stuff.

Their fridge is kinda iffy, but they get week+ with salad mixes from the Frederick Costco. My mom is a pretty terrible driver though, so maybe that's why she's drawn to the Gaithersburg one (seriously - she hates highway driving and that's why she avoids the Frederick Costco).

Went to Costco this weekend to pick up cat litter and glucosamine, but wound up with a cart full of stuff. I raided the "prepared food" section for some easy weeknight meals. Dinners for the past few nights have consisted of...

* Seafood-stuffed tilapia - Surprisingly well seasoned. Hubby LOVES tilapia because it is not fishy, but I never make it because I find it bland and, well, not fishy. This version suited both of us.

* Salmon with dill butter - Old reliable! The salmon can sometimes vary in quality, but this package looked nice and tasted fresh.

* Cilantro-lime shrimp wraps - Needed a little spice component, but once we busted out the sriracha, these hit the spot.

Tonight will be a southwestern-seasoned flank steak.

I think if you have a good eye, you can get some really nice meals for the days when you don't feel like cooking.

Over the past few months, I've been buying Kasia potato and cheese pierogies in the deli area at the Pentagon City Costco. They come in 3-twelve pierogi packages bundled together. The biggest problem I have is that I usually find them close to the expiration date and don't have a lot of freezer room. One time I made a casserole, lasagna style, to cook them all at once. I've done a variety of things with them, including just serving plain with butter. Tonight we had one package on a plate with three Sante Fe (spicy) sausages from Whole Foods, fried onion and jalapeno rings, plus some Monterey Jack cheese grated over top. What a nice mess.

http://www.kasiasdeli.com/potato-and-cheese-pierogi.html

epoisses $11.99

I bought some of this last week and have not yet opened it. I also bought some Grand Marnier-flavored brie that I've used to stuff dates for dinner tonight.

Suggestions for using the Epoisses? It was an impulse purchase, since I couldn't believe I was seeing that there.

I bought some of this last week and have not yet opened it. I also bought some Grand Marnier-flavored brie that I've used to stuff dates for dinner tonight.

Suggestions for using the Epoisses? It was an impulse purchase, since I couldn't believe I was seeing that there.

epoisses should be eaten at room temperature, when it is ripe and gooey. alone, or as part of a cheese platter, with bread and maybe some seasonal fresh fruit or dried fruit. perhaps Mark Slater or Jake Parrott could recommend a suitable wine pairing. I know that Michael Landrum has it as an optional burger topping at Ray's, but it never made sense to me, I've never ordered it.

Don't belong to Costco so looks like I will give Safeway a shot. Is there much of a difference in Prime tenderloin versus Choice tenderloin - since there is not much marbling?

The best Christmas present you can give yourself is a Costco Executive Membership. Shopping for a roast at Christmas will be a nightmare for crowds but the quality and price will justify it. There's a post from a year or so ago in the Costco thread where Poolboy questions the value of belonging to Costco since he would only be shopping for two people. Please take a look at the responses which consistently note it is still a value. We go to Costco once every two weeks or so and I probably spend around $4000 or so a year there which basically pays for the membership. You won't believe how the following add up: garbage bags, xerox paper, ink (15-20% cheaper than Staples), televisions (Costco sells more than anyone else in America), wine (Costco sells more than anyone else in America, tires (same...), shampoo, toothpaste, books, almost anything electronic, gas and hundreds of more things that you typically would not associate with Costco. Cokes were $7.79 for a 32 pack a week ago. Prescription prices, contact lens, etc. are aggressively priced.

Suggestion: I believe Costco will give you a complimentary one time pass. Do it. Invest some time and wander a store, perhaps even buy the meat you are looking for (superior to Safeway). You'll also be able to have lunch (or dinner) just from wandering from one free sample cart to another.

Last, I must note there is a difference from one Costco to another with Pentagon City the highest volume in the D. C. area and Fairfax second. Pentagon City is also an absolute zoo with a parking lot that is a nightmare to go in and out of. Still, it has the best wine department. Fairfax has better cheese than, say, Chantilly. You'll also find that some Costcos (i.e. Fairfax) carry prime beef while others don't. Gaithersburg is mentioned on here for its parking garage. Yes, it is THAT bad. But if I lived nearby I'd still go there.

FWIW we live equidistant from three Costcos: Fairfax, Chantilly and Sterling. I usually go to Sterling.

What Joe said. Even if you spaved and bought some of the really nice cuts of meat that are offered this time of year, it would be worth it. We bought the rack of pork (did this last year and... excellent), prime sirloin, rib roast and we're going back to buy the fully trimmed filet.

I posted elsewhere about it, fwiw, the prime sirloin was delicious. Not dry-aged etc. mind you, but very tender and tasty.

We go tot the Springfield location and there is ample outdoor parking and the staff is wonderful. The wine section is big, the cheeses abundant and they carry prime beef.

We go to Costco once every two weeks or so and I probably spend around $4000 or so a year there which basically pays for the membership. You won't believe how the following add up: garbage bags, xerox paper, ink (15-20% cheaper than Staples), televisions (Costco sells more than anyone else in America), wine (Costco sells more than anyone else in America, tires (same...), shampoo, toothpaste, books, almost anything electronic, gas and hundreds of more things that you typically would not associate with Costco.

You still need to shop around though. There are some good deals I have found better deals on Amazon and Best Buy on some electronics. Unfortunately the beef and pork are produced on your typical CAFO/factory farms.

Amazon often offer better electronics deals, but the Costco no-question asked return policy is just fantastic. I believe it's 3 months for electronics and 1 year for everything else.

They do sell some organic meat and produces, though from mega-organizations that are probably not much better than the typical factory farm. I have gotten some good premium meats and grocery items from their Costco.com site. They always come well packed and very quickly, with easy returns to Costco if necessary.

I am in need of new tires, but I found the Pentagon City location a bit frustrating to get to and work with at the tire center. Have people had good experiences at the Pentagon City location or prefer Springfield or Fairfax? I am thinking about Fairfax, but I have not been to that location before.

Thanks!

I am in need of new tires, but I found the Pentagon City location a bit frustrating to get to and work with at the tire center. Have people had good experiences at the Pentagon City location or prefer Springfield or Fairfax? I am thinking about Fairfax, but I have not been to that location before.

Thanks!

I got mine without any problems at the Chantilly location, which is only a few miles from the Fairfax store. We usually shop at the Chantilly location because the parking lot is less chaotic (relative to Costco) and the store seems cleaner/nicer than Fairfax. Having said that, my wife had no issues when she got her tires at the Fairfax location (Chantilly location did not have hers in stock).

I have gotten tires at Pentagon City without problems.

I've gotten them there without issue but not real recently. My husband just needed new tires and they didn't carry the size he needed. I'm not sure if that stocking issue is chain-wide or particular location, but checking ahead seems like a good idea.

Pohanka Lexus will MATCH the Costco price on tires. I am guessing that all of the Pohanka dealerships will do the same. I've bought from Costco a half dozen times over the past fifteen years. Buying tires from Pohanka was much more "civilized." Worth a phone call to find out if they or a partner dealership will match it.

Veal a la Pojarski (veal forcemeat croquettes) is on the horizon.

Veal Pojarksi beta version. Cutlets formed from ground rose veal, cream & sourdough panade, butter-simmered onions, marjoram and smoked paprika. Breaded, twice, with toasted breadcrumbs. Standard macaroni bone proxy with obligatory paper bootie.

7377534370_620889ece8_z.jpg

• Like 1

The piece on CNBC about Costco a week or so ago has stirred much interest in wine circles. Seems Costco's chief wine buyer, a lady named Annette Alvarez-Peters, who is now thought of as perhaps the most influential wine buyer in the world, freely admits she knew nothing about wine before she started buying for Costco (prior to moving to wine she was a buyer in the audio/electronics department). She states she thinks wine is "just another beverage," and is "like toilet paper." Note that all the 17 others who work for her buying Costco's wines came from other departments in Costco.

It may be that Costco's wine is good and good value, but this does give one pause.

A Google search for "Costco wine buyer" will yield dozens of apoplectic comments on the matter. The entire clip of that part of the CNBC broadcast is here. Comments from Eater are here.

The piece on CNBC about Costco a week or so ago has stirred much interest in wine circles. Seems Costco's chief wine buyer, a lady named Annette Alvarez-Peters, who is now thought of as perhaps the most influential wine buyer in the world, freely admits she knew nothing about wine before she started buying for Costco (prior to moving to wine she was a buyer in the audio/electronics department). She states she thinks wine is "just another beverage," and is "like toilet paper." Note that all the 17 others who work for her buying Costco's wines came from other departments in Costco.

It may be that Costco's wine is good and good value, but this does give one pause.

A Google search for "Costco wine buyer" will yield dozens of apoplectic comments on the matter. The entire clip of that part of the CNBC broadcast is here. Comments from Eater are here.

John, I saw that piece when it came out and it shocked me. I also remember a comment about selling wine for 15% above cost and felt that has more to do with Costco's success than anything else. It's not likely that I'm going to find Owen Roe or K Vintners in Costco but there is very good pricing on wine that may be known by a mass market. Including the taste of their buyer.