Costco (1983-, Formerly Price Club (1976-1997) - A Washington-Based, Membership-Only Retailer - the Second-Largest Retailer in the World

Pat

It was OK, fine for $8. I didn't really like the crust, which seemed designed to be like focaccia but seemed more to me like (non-sweet) pop tart. On the positive side, it had several toppings (pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, red onion, mushroom, olive, ??) and not was not gloppy and greasy. When I get a slice at the cafe/restaurant, there's too much cheese and it's oozy and greasy. That was not the case with this. It was drier and maybe (despite the toppings) too bland.

Since this seems to be a new product, I have no idea how representative it is. Someone I know in another part of the country says that he's had no problem fitting Costco pizzas into his oven. ETA: He also says they've had the square ones there for some time.

Fortunately, getting the oven cleaned up after this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

We have never had any issues placing pizza's from costco in our oven. Of course I have only seen and gotten their large round ones. As far as taste goes, it is decent, the crust is a bit bready for my liking, but we cook it on a pizza stone so it gets crispy on the bottom. We aslo have a habit of gourmeting it up with whatever we feel like that evening.

Amberleigh

Lately I've been buying USDA prime beef at Costco. I've also seen it at Wegman's recently. It's the sign of a bad economy that the big steak chains aren't scooping up all the prime beef. Can't beat throwing a few of these steaks on the outdoor grill in the middle of January, uncorking a bottle of Chateau Chevalier, and kicking back...!

Lately I've been buying USDA prime beef at Costco. I've also seen it at Wegman's recently. It's the sign of a bad economy that the big steak chains aren't scooping up all the prime beef. Can't beat throwing a few of these steaks on the outdoor grill in the middle of January, uncorking a bottle of Chateau Chevalier, and kicking back...!

Costco cheese has taken a huge leap up in quality recently as has their prime beef. If you really study their wine there are also some incredible bargains: 2005 Simi Landslide Cab for $25.99 ($48.00 wine) and '06 Groth Reserve for $89 ($160+ retail). There are a lot more, too. Not every wine represents this kind of discount but there are enough to really spend some time looking through their case. The cheese though, is notable. Eppouisses is about $19 or 20 + elsewhere. Buffalo mozz is half or less the price of Whole Foods. Be careful about the expiration dates. Some only have a couple of weeks before they expire.

Yesterday the Wegman's in Sterling actually had fresh black truffles for $699 a pound in their produce department. They've been carrying prime beef since they opened, usually at prime prices! Prime rib was $22.00 a pound over Christmas. Costco, however, is an incredible bargain for their prime.

My guess is that 1 and 1/2% CD's, 1/10th of 1 per cent money market funds and bond funds like Pimco Total Return (which has now dramatically fallen to 3.7% in the CURRENT dividend) are taking their toll. There are a lot of people who want as little risk as possible; Costco might reflect some of this.

Epoisse! $12.99 a container. At least the second time they have been in stock.

There were other cheeses that looked divine but too much for one person.

We were unable to resist the Epoisse at the Sterling CC this week. It had an expiration date of Jan 26, and we had it last night. It was not as perfectly ripened as the far more expensive one we bought at Wegmans for Thanksgiving, but we will probably buy another one and consume it a few days closer to the expiration date.

Possibility for a new Costco in Wheaton! :angry: Just what Wheaton Plaza needs. (story in the Gazette)

I don't think Costco is a good "fit" for Wheaton Plaza. At some point Montgomery County needs to acknowledge the value of Wegman's and allow them in. Wheaton Plaza would be a perfect location. I would be shocked if Wegman's was not interested.

I don't think Costco is a good "fit" for Wheaton Plaza. At some point Montgomery County needs to acknowledge the value of Wegman's and allow them in. Wheaton Plaza would be a perfect location. I would be shocked if Wegman's was not interested.

I'll take them both! While I would love to see a Wegman's, I think a Costco would be a better fit, and certainly could bring traffic to the area. Neither one would help the Plaza itself out though, as I think they both would be a one-stop destination, not a "let me stop in to the ______ shop while I'm out getting my groceries."

Either way, we're over 5 miles from the nearest Costco now. Enough to delay a trip there if we're not heading in that direction. A local one would mean being able to stop by on the way home from work and offer the possibly to pick up something for dinner that evening without having to start cooking at 8:30 at night..

What is MoCo doing to not allow them in? I hadn't heard that.

On the Wegman's website, there's a link for store locations, and then a link for "future" - with specifics on where the next Wegmans will go. Frederick, Germantown, Columbia, Crofton, Landover (now hiring), Bel Air and Alexandria are all slated. I wonder the logic to not have "down county" listed - it might be the same logic that looks right past DC, or it may simply be that Wegmans has a model to own the land first - which it seems they may own each of the lots listed - and they just haven;t found lots down there.

What is interesting is that many of these locations all had projected dates at one time - dates not too far into the future. So Wegman's seems to have stalled expansion plans, which leads me further to believe they own the land at these locations, otherwise they might have simply taken the locations off the "planned" chart.

Oh well, looking forward to it.

On a "costco" note - they recently lost a class-action lawsuit over membership renewals. Used to be that if you came in to renew, say, 6 months after you prior membership expired, you paid full price and your memebership was renewed retroactive to your old expiration date. That meant that for 6 months you weren't allowed to buy from Costco - but when you renewed, you had to pay for those 6 months to get the next six months.

Now they can only do that for 90 days after expiration - after that, you get a new membership starting that day.

So...if you're like me and like to play games for the sake of playing games...the way to play it is to shop near the last day of your membership, then let it lapse and don't go back for 3 1/2 months. Then come in and re-up to a new membership starting that day. You net about a 25% savings on your memberhip fees.

Or, do like me...let it lapse and figure out that 2 gallons of yellow mustard makes no sense - and never go back.

We braved the Costco near Pentagon City ~ wowa, that parking lot~ someone on DR once posted it's like Mad Max, two cars go in, only one comes out ~ so true ~ and found King Oscar sardines, two layer pack in olive oil. I LOVE these salty, smelly little fish, especially on saltine crackers as a nice lunch, light supper, or snack. Umami-rich, calcium-rich, omega 3 - rich protein for me, and lovely smelly fish oil for the cats.

We have been shopping at the Fairfax Costcofor 20 years, even though the boys are grown they still come back so it's still worth the price of the membership, but the Pentagon City Costco is a cut above, at least for now; if you live on Capitol Hill, this is the Costco closest to you. If there is a Costco for residents of Georgetown, let me know, please, because I'll be there.

We braved the Costco near Pentagon City ~ wowa, that parking lot~ someone on DR once posted it's like Mad Max, two cars go in, only one comes out ~ so true ~ and found King Oscar sardines, two layer pack in olive oil. I LOVE these salty, smelly little fish, especially on saltine crackers as a nice lunch, light supper, or snack. Umami-rich, calcium-rich, omega 3 - rich protein for me, and lovely smelly fish oil for the cats.

We have been shopping at the Fairfax Costcofor 20 years, even though the boys are grown they still come back so it's still worth the price of the membership, but the Pentagon City Costco is a cut above, at least for now; if you live on Capitol Hill, this is the Costco closest to you. If there is a Costco for residents of Georgetown, let me know, please, because I'll be there.

That parking lot is horrible at the best of times. The last time I was there, I was parked next to an SUV/van so enormous that I couldn't see to pull out of my space. It would be bad enough without cars coming from several directions and pedestrians walking behind parked cars, but that was insane. Why people let children run through that parking lot unattended, I don't know, unless they're trying to get rid of them.

It's a short drive from Capitol Hill and a well-stocked store, but the crowds and the parking lot are major negatives.

It's a short drive from Capitol Hill and a well-stocked store, but the crowds and the parking lot are major negatives.

Agreed. I'm five minutes away, and I frequently drive to Springfield just so I won't have to deal with the crowds. So far, I've only found it to be less crowded around 5 or 6 on weekdays, and even then 395 is so jammed you have to balance the easy parking lot with the horrific traffic.

Agreed. I'm five minutes away, and I frequently drive to Springfield just so I won't have to deal with the crowds. So far, I've only found it to be less crowded around 5 or 6 on weekdays, and even then 395 is so jammed you have to balance the easy parking lot with the horrific traffic.

I try to leave work a little early when I need to hit Costco so that I can get there before 5pm. Mid-week, it's not a bad option with decent parking if you immediately head for the part of the lot nearest Fern St.

I marinated some strips of tri-tip purchased from Costco in a Korean galbi marinade. Grilled and thinly sliced against the grain, it was delicious and much less work than grilling individual slices of short rib.

If you bought this at Costco

4304676782_614ef2ec84_o.jpg

Don't eat it; it's been recalled due to salmonella concerns.

When I saw the recall notice, I wondered if the sopressata I had was involved. I checked. Not on the list. UPC not on the list. Then I got a robocall about it a short time ago saying not to eat it. So, the recall is more extensive than the list indicates. FYI.

If you really study their wine there are also some incredible bargains: 2005 Simi Landslide Cab for $25.99 ($48.00 wine)

Bought a bottle of this at the Pentagon City store today. Thanks for the tip.

And apparently the sopressata wasn't on that recall list, after all. They still had it for sale when I was at the store today. It never showed up in the online list, and when I called the manufacturer, they said that Costco called anyone who had bought any of their products, regardless of whether the specific product was on the recall list. (I also got a letter in the mail from Costco about the recall. They do take this stuff seriously.).

After three days without leaving my end of the block, I decided to venture out in my Subaru, which we have been using as a snowplow to pack down a track up our street. In almost 14 years in my house, I have never seen a snowplow come down this street. I made a run to Costco Pentagon City. The only hairy spot was the little transition road between 110 and Army Navy Dr., which had never gotten plowed. The Costco parking lot was a series of snow mountains with parking spaces between them. I found a spot fairly easily, however. The store was practically deserted. It seemed reasonably well stocked, though. I was there for household supplies, for the most part, but looked at a package of fish that had today's date as its pack date, but did not smell fresh. Got some cheese and a sack of limes, and saw my friend Sarah Blake's new novel The Postmistress in a prominent spot on the book aisle. Only one person in front of me in the checkout line. When I got back and was unloading, my neighbor said that he was thinking about going to Costco today, but figured it would be mobbed. He's going to go tomorrow. Along with everyone else who didn't think it was a good idea to go today... ;)

(wonder what the difference btwn Tbone and porterhouse is).

The porterhouse is from the first part of the loin, where the tenderloin muscle is bigger. The t-bone is from the thin end of the tenderloin. Sometimes t-bones will have only a sliver of tenderloin on that side of the bone. Sometimes they are all called "t-bone" and if you have a choice, pick steaks that have the biggest piece of tenderloin.

When I was at the Pentagon City store last week, I bought cave-aged Cabot cheddar for $8.79 a pound. The rind is a bit sticky from being vacuum sealed in plastic, but the cheese is excellent. It was in the case with the Reggiano, not the one where the wax-wrapped Cabot cheddar is kept.

On a visit several weeks ago, I spent 5 minutes looking and couldn't find the paneer -- which other cheeses are around it?

When I've seen it, it has been in the case nearest the right side of the store in the open side facing the bakery. So if you are on the aisle to the right heading to the back of the store, it will be right there on the left. So to speak. :)

When I've seen it, it has been in the case nearest the right side of the store in the open side facing the bakery. So if you are on the aisle to the right heading to the back of the store, it will be right there on the left. So to speak. :)

That's where I've seen it. It's where the bulk of the European cheeses are. I saw it there a few days ago, and it was pretty much dead center in the middle of that refrigerated case. It's the very far right case of those several aisles of refrigerated cheeses, hams, sausages, fish, and chicken as you face the back of the store.

Speaking of cheese at Costco--has anyone else tried the Rond du Val Papillon brebis? Two small rounds of bloomy rind sheep milk cheese packaged together. Similar to a camembert, from Roquefort sur Soulzon. Delicious!

I saw it but didn't pick it up. Now I'm hoping it's still there next time!

That's where I've seen it. It's where the bulk of the European cheeses are. I saw it there a few days ago, and it was pretty much dead center in the middle of that refrigerated case. It's the very far right case of those several aisles of refrigerated cheeses, hams, sausages, fish, and chicken as you face the back of the store.

Okay, that's where I found it today -- dead center. Thanks!

Anyone have a go-to recipe for paneer makhani? I found a bunch online and can't decide which one is best.

I made breaded veal cutlets yesterday while I was dealing with a large package of thin sliced veal that I'd bought at Costco a couple days ago. Kinda crazy, but some of the packages in the case had been mislabeled and priced as if they had been chicken breast, almost half off the regular price of veal. I pointed out the situation to an elderly British lady who was standing next to me perusing the lamb chops. Her eyes lit up and she zeroed right in on the veal scallopini: "Aren't you clever to notice that!" she said.*

I couldn't see myself breading and frying more than one panful, and I was concerned about spoilage. So I set up my meat grinder, and turned the rest of it into ground veal, which I have wrapped and put into the freezer. Veal a la Pojarski (veal forcemeat croquettes) is on the horizon.

*Caveat emptor, or in this case caveat vendor. At the farmers market, where I am buying from someone I know, when I have seen meat mislabeled, I have pointed it out--and the seller has often sold it to me at the marked price, if it is in my favor. Having a much less personal relationship with the meat department at Costco, I did not feel the same ethical obligation to point out their error. Perhaps Randy Cohen, author of the New York Times Magazine column "The Ethicist" would scold me and take me to task for being insufficiently honest, and tell me that I was ethically bound to bring it to Costco's attention so that the meat cutters could take back and relabel the incorrectly priced packages. I'm not losing any sleep about it.

What would you have done?

*Caveat emptor, or in this case caveat vendor. At the farmers market, where I am buying from someone I know, when I have seen meat mislabeled, I have pointed it out--and the seller has often sold it to me at the marked price, if it is in my favor. Having a much less personal relationship with the meat department at Costco, I did not feel the same ethical obligation to point out their error. Perhaps Randy Cohen, author of the New York Times Magazine column "The Ethicist" would scold me and take me to task for being insufficiently honest, and tell me that I was ethically bound to bring it to Costco's attention so that the meat cutters could take back and relabel the incorrectly priced packages. I'm not losing any sleep about it.

What would you have done?

First, that sandwich sounds awesome. Second, I'd feel the same as you regarding the pricing and third, I just got back from Costco and wish I'd been looking at the meat section!

FWIW, the Springfield, VA location had Mozzarella di Buffalo.

Despite the fact that you can get some great deals at Costco, and even get wine if you go to the ones in Virginia, I let my membership lapse earlier this year. I realized I basically went there 2-3 times a year and loaded up on a core set of things only. I hate the lines and the $50 or whatever the annual fee is now is probably more than I was saving on the good deals I might have gotten. Plus, for a two person household, it kind of doesn't make sense, given the huge size of the packages offered there. Am I the only one?

Despite the fact that you can get some great deals at Costco, and even get wine if you go to the ones in Virginia, I let my membership lapse earlier this year. I realized I basically went there 2-3 times a year and loaded up on a core set of things only. I hate the lines and the $50 or whatever the annual fee is now is probably more than I was saving on the good deals I might have gotten. Plus, for a two person household, it kind of doesn't make sense, given the huge size of the packages offered there. Am I the only one?

We have an executive membership, and with our AmEx, get a rebate that at least covers the membership fee. We buy soooooo much more than food there.

It also helps that we have a 17cf freezer in our basement :)

I'm only cooking for 2 but I go once a month and get mostly meat (the large cuts, etc.) that I butcher down into individual portions and then freeze. I haven't done a cost benefit analysis or anything, but at the very worst it keeps my weeknight meal prep to a minimum.

I do hate the lines, so I try and go first thing in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday which normally helps me get in/out relatively hassle free.

I'm only cooking for 2 but I go once a month and get mostly meat (the large cuts, etc.) that I butcher down into individual portions and then freeze. I haven't done a cost benefit analysis or anything, but at the very worst it keeps my weeknight meal prep to a minimum.

I do hate the lines, so I try and go first thing in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday which normally helps me get in/out relatively hassle free.

Do you go to Pentagon City? We go to Springfield, and the lines are manageable, even when the parking lot is brimming. We went to the Pentagon City location once, the parking was horrible, and I found the customer service indifferent. I was so happy to find the Springfield location was actually closer (well, perhaps not as the crow flies, but with traffic....).