Chicago, IL

Walrus

Topolobampo isn't terribly formal - tasting menu style, but since it shares space with the more casual Frontera Grill, it is farily laid back. I think it is defintely worth a visit as the cooking is unlike anything you can get here.
I agree with bilrus on this. Not terribly formal, but more so than frontera grill. And, I think the good is exceptional. I've also tried some of the places that opened up from folks who worked in his kitchen, and I didn't like any as much as topolobampo. I think it's great and highly recommend it.

I will be heading to Chicago for a conference in a few weeks, and my husband will be joining for the weekend. I am thinking of doing Tobolobambo on Friday night, and either Spring or Scylla in Bucktown/Wicker Park on Saturday. I'd rather not do a big blow-out meal on the scale of Tru/Charlie Trotter's/ etc., not that we could probably get a reservation at this date. Is Tobolobambo going to be a formal meal? Is it worth it or is there somewhere else (not super-formal) I could better spend my dining dollars? I'm also thinking of Cafe Spiaggia.

Also, thoughts on Spring vs. Scylla (or some other more neighborhood-y place)? Both appear to emphasize seafood, and have a modern/hip vibe.

Thanks.

I haven't been to Spring or Scylla so I can't comment there. If you're not limited to the Bucktown/Wicker Park area, I would suggest heading north to Lincoln Square. In particular, two of my favorite places are Bistro Campagne and Sola. Bistro is more cozy and has a great seasonal menu. Sola emphasizes seafood on their menu, but can be a bit noisy - not recommended if you're looking for an intimate dining room. On a Saturday night, reservations recommended for both.

Bistro Campagne website

4518 N Lincoln Ave

Sola website

3868 N Lincoln Ave

Thanks Erin, Smokey, and Bill for the Chicago advice. At the last minute, we decided to cancel our Tobolobambo reservation because my husband was suffering from a cold and "could not taste anything." We did Frontera Grill instead. I called at 8:30 on the dot and got a reservation for that night, which prevented us from having to wait for 2 hours (which is what they were telling people when we arrived). I thought the food was decent. The mojito, I'm told, was excellent (it came with cilantro). Our food were decent-- nothing amazing, but perfectly adequate. Overall, it was a good place to go for a good, casual, meal. Service was very friendly, if not a bit overly-efficient (you can tell they want to turn the table to accomodate the people waiting for 2 hours!).

I had a great meal at Cafe Spiagga with work colleagues. I had a mushroom and polenta appetizer that was just amazing, and then mushroom ravioli that was also quite good. It's a nice place for a quiet meal. I would return.

Saturday night, we hit a home run at Spring in Bucktown. I would strongly recommend this place. We shared a potato soup that my husband kept raving about after each bite. (Since we split 2 appetizers, they split them in half and plated them separately, which was a nice touch.) On the waiter's recommendation, I had scallops with oxtail. Wonderful. The scallops were perfectly cooked, and the oxtail was incredibly tender. The decor is modern with some Asian influence. The only downside was that it is pretty loud-- we weren't shouting, but Cafe Spiagga it was not.

Naha

Anyone been? Who's got scoop? In the search for an excellent, but not top-tier Charlie-Trotterish dining destination (ie, $150pp all in, not $300pp), will Naha fit the bill?

Recently transplanted Chicagoan here...

Naha is very good, as is Blackbird (www.blackbirdrestaurant.com)... but if you are looking for EXCELLENT food at an EXCELLENT price, the place to go is Sweets and Savories. It's a very small storefront restaurant in Lincoln Park (a neighborhood just north of downtown), and they serve a seven course meal for $60. Add in wine, tax and tip, and you'll still probably come in at less than $150 pp. The website in no way does it justice, but see here for Chicago's version of donrockwell - www.lthforum.com

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6220

Even though it's a little out of the way if you're staying downtown and doesn't have the swanky vibe you'll get at Naha or the hip vibe you'll get from Blackbird, it is definitely, definitely worth it.

Another place to check out if you're able to snag reservations is Schwa - which is 4 star food and BYO, if you're into that (sure keeps the bill down!), but it's tiny and thus often difficult to get a table.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8738

Hope that helps!

I love Nuevo Leon! I always order the tacos de sabinas - flour tortillas filled with strips of ribeye bursting with flavor, beans, and chihuahua cheese. Yum, I am salivating like Homer just thinking about it! I like a little heat in my food, but I always request them to be made w/o jalapenos b/c the taco has plenty of flavor on its own.

Sweets and Savories is another favorite of mine. I was so impressed on my first visit that I returned later that week for their Sunday brunch. Their duck fat frites are not to be missed. They are traditionally served with a tasty fig ketchup, but we were fortunate to have a truffle mayo as a special from the chef. These were so heavenly. You can also get discounted gift certificates on restaurant.com.

Chicago Avenue: The Gold Coast is the ritzy shopping stretch along the Mag Mile. And The James (55 E. Ontario St.; 877-526-3755), with its lounge, J Bar, and spa, is a vacation in itself. Equally awesome: Park Hyatt (800 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-335-1234).

I did that! I got a yummy rose champagne and a massage (big no-no). Valet is $42 dollars there; we had to yell at them for charging us for a full day when we were there for 90 minutos!

And I went here, here, here , this, some brew pubs, more Mexican places. I will give a better report soon. Avec was my fave by a long shot-great little place!!

I am heading up to Chicago with a few friends for the Pitchfork Music Festival this weekend. We are in search of a decent place to eat tonight with a good bar to follow. For the food we are thinking relatively cheap, Mexican, Pizza, etc....We probably wont be eating until like 10-10:30. Also, if anyone has a good bar suggestion. We are Black Cat Red Room/Rock and Roll Hotel/930 Club type people. Anyone? Anyone? We wont have a car, but are willing to cab/subway for good options. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I am heading up to Chicago with a few friends for the Pitchfork Music Festival this weekend. We are in search of a decent place to eat tonight with a good bar to follow. For the food we are thinking relatively cheap, Mexican, Pizza, etc....We probably wont be eating until like 10-10:30. Also, if anyone has a good bar suggestion. We are Black Cat Red Room/Rock and Roll Hotel/930 Club type people. Anyone? Anyone? We wont have a car, but are willing to cab/subway for good options. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Restaurants in Randolph Street Market District are a good bet for you. There are plenty of fun places around there and nothing over the top. Last time I was there I really wanted to go to The Green Mill, but didn't. You have to go there and tell me what you think.

Restaurants in Randolph Street Market District are a good bet for you. There are plenty of fun places around there and nothing over the top. Last time I was there I really wanted to go to The Green Mill, but didn't. You have to go there and tell me what you think.

The Green Mill is great for jazz, and not too far from the Lawrence Red Line stop (it's a hike from where Pitchfork is). If you're looking for rock/alternative/indie, check out Metro, Double Door, Schuba's. You'd probably like many of the bars in the Wicker Park/Bucktown area.

The Randolph Street Market District is better known as the "West Loop" (or a little further north, the Warehouse District (if you're trying to google it). The restaurants are nice (Avec & Blackbird stand out), but can be a bit pricey, and I don't think many places are still serving at 10-10:30. It does have the convenience of being reasonably close to where Pitchfork is being held, though.

If you're still there on Sunday morning, check out the Maxwell STreet Market (NOT on Maxwell St. anymore, but accessible from the Roosevelt metro or easy cab from downtown) for the cheapest, best Mexican/Central American food around. It lasts till around 2 p.m. Pizza - Lou Malnati's or Pizzeria Uno or Due (NOT the same as the chain version you find around here!).

Check out www.lthforum.com for more specifics...

I hadn't heard anything about One-Sixty Blue, but my US food consultant (my super-cool brother) changed our Fancy Dinner to there. We started by splitting the warm Capriole Farms goat cheese with lemon confit, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes, served with crostini. The quality of the cheese was excellent, and the tastes were spot-on. The asparagus soup with fried oysters was sublime, with the creamy but not heavy soup playing really nicely off the lightly crisp fritters. The hamachi main course was served very rare with just-barely-cooked vegetables and a cucumber consomme poured over the top. The hamachi on the bottom of the dish, which had been able to steep a bit in the consomme was excellent, though the rest was a little bland. Also enjoyed at the table were the fine caesar salad, the surpisingly interesting chopped salad, and the filet. For dessert we shared a good chocolate souffle and a "black and white creme brulee" (which bro says was directly lifted off a menu in San Francisco, but whatever), which had a perfect texture. The wine list was judged to be wildly overpriced, with a lot of typos, but we had an excellent server, who steered us well. Highlight of the evening, though, was getting an eyeful of Michael Jordan, one of the restaurant's investors, as he walked--no, glided out of a private room to his Ferrari. Homina.

Our lunch at Topolobambo was, as always, a joy. I remain extremely impressed by Bayless's consistency over the years, and the fact that he has been in the kitchen EVERY TIME I've eaten there. The menu at Topolobambo is more limited than Frontera Grill, but the atmosphere is better, and it's easier to carry on a conversation in there than in the very noisy Grill. Margaritas, mojitos, and sangria were perfect, interesting, and not at all too sweet. We shard the trio of ceviches to start; all were good, but the standout was the shrimp with tomato and avocado, and I think I forcibly took the lion's share. And then, oh then.... I've eaten pork at about 90 percent of my meals since I've been back in the States, but this one is far ahead of the pack. The lightly smoked and roasted pork loin was sliced thinly and served with tomatillo chilaquiles and house-made queso fresca. I actually have no idea what my lunch companions ate because I don't think I looked up once after my first bite.

Italian beefs at Mr. Beef are second in quality only to my mom's. Mmmm...

Steppenwolf’s production of “august: osage county” didn’t let out till 11, so avec made sense. The kitchen on Friday and Saturday is open until one, and it was only a few blocks from my hotel just over the river on west Randolph.

A door up or down from blackbird, avec spills out onto the sidewalk through a glass front but inside you would almost think you’re walking into a giant sauna, except everyone has kept their shirts on and the air is cool. It’s deep and narrow, paneled from floor to ceiling in under-varnished blonde wood, a stainless steel-countered bar running up one side and low wood tables and squat and boxy low-backed chairs and matching banquette backed along the other wall, into which a few square windows have been punched. The strict geometry here tells you one thing, but the expertly prepared food says another, and this small restaurant delivers a surprisingly comfortable, semi-communal and informal dining experience.

The Mediterranean-inspired cooking is behind the bar toward the rear (like crème café on our u street). A menu of more than a dozen small plates and large plates and as many cheeses – all suitable for sharing – is accompanied by an extensive list of splashy wines and beer from france, italy, spain and portugal.

A glass of mas de bazan rose accompanied an English pea crostini. The bread remains crisp under a light spread of pureed peas and a manageably heaped salad of pea shoots, watercress and red onion, with long lashes of pickled lemon zest and dressed in a ricotta salata vinaigrette containing a small dice of the cheese itself and a mustard seed here and there. The prime ingredients are simple enough, but bundled together in this open-faced sandwich they provide a delicious excursion in contrasting flavors and textures.

A taste of bucatini in a pepper and pancetta ragout from a generous neighbor landed a piece of braised octopus that was as tender, sweet and good as what can be recollected from a trip to Barcelona.

A stew of generously portioned, moist haddock is also redolent of spain, piquant and mildly fiery. Circular mustard leaves colored a swirling jewel-green settle and slowly wilt onto a tomato and roasted red pepper sauce spiked with chopped caperberries and bacon. A glass of 2005 domaine la croix belle held up well to it, I thought. (But to avoid some confusion, it is better to ask for “les champ des lys.”)

Service here is top-drawer. If you don’t know where next to eat in Chicago, the staff here is friendly and knowledgeable. Hot doug’s, the vegetarian green zebra and custom house were all on the list. Whatever you may or may not think of its food, Schwa is not in the best neighborhood and can play hard to get, not answering the telephone or taking the staff off for a spur-of-the-moment trip to new york. Spurring some conversation about minibar, Alinea is at the top of the pack, but its young chef, a non-smoker, is suffering from mouth cancer. This was an odd coincidence, since the lead character in the play I had just seen – a pill-popping and brain-damaged Oklahoma matriarch, the mother of three daughters and the wife of an alcoholic poet – also was suffering from mouth cancer. Sometimes I wish I could fool the way my mind works, but after such a pleasant late dinner ($60), as I made my departure, my tongue was burning and I was wondering if I could have it too.

Steppenwolf’s production of “august: osage county” didn’t let out till 11, so avec made sense. The kitchen on Friday and Saturday is open until one, and it was only a few blocks from my hotel just over the river on west Randolph.

A door up or down from blackbird, avec spills out onto the sidewalk through a glass front but inside you would almost think you’re walking into a giant sauna, except everyone has kept their shirts on and the air is cool. It’s deep and narrow, paneled from floor to ceiling in under-varnished blonde wood, a stainless steel-countered bar running up one side and low wood tables and squat and boxy low-backed chairs and matching banquette backed along the other wall, into which a few square windows have been punched. The strict geometry here tells you one thing, but the expertly prepared food says another, and this small restaurant delivers a surprisingly comfortable, semi-communal and informal dining experience.

The Mediterranean-inspired cooking is behind the bar toward the rear (like crème café on our u street). A menu of more than a dozen small plates and large plates and as many cheeses – all suitable for sharing – is accompanied by an extensive list of splashy wines and beer from france, italy, spain and portugal.

A glass of mas de bazan rose accompanied an English pea crostini. The bread remains crisp under a light spread of pureed peas and a manageably heaped salad of pea shoots, watercress and red onion, with long lashes of pickled lemon zest and dressed in a ricotta salata vinaigrette containing a small dice of the cheese itself and a mustard seed here and there. The prime ingredients are simple enough, but bundled together in this open-faced sandwich they provide a delicious excursion in contrasting flavors and textures.

A taste of bucatini in a pepper and pancetta ragout from a generous neighbor landed a piece of braised octopus that was as tender, sweet and good as what can be recollected from a trip to Barcelona.

A stew of generously portioned, moist haddock is also redolent of spain, piquant and mildly fiery. Circular mustard leaves colored a swirling jewel-green settle and slowly wilt onto a tomato and roasted red pepper sauce spiked with chopped caperberries and bacon. A glass of 2005 domaine la croix belle held up well to it, I thought. (But to avoid some confusion, it is better to ask for “les champ des lys.”)

Service here is top-drawer. If you don’t know where next to eat in Chicago, the staff here is friendly and knowledgeable. Hot doug’s, the vegetarian green zebra and custom house were all on the list. Whatever you may or may not think of its food, Schwa is not in the best neighborhood and can play hard to get, not answering the telephone or taking the staff off for a spur-of-the-moment trip to new york. Spurring some conversation about minibar, Alinea is at the top of the pack, but its young chef, a non-smoker, is suffering from mouth cancer. This was an odd coincidence, since the lead character in the play I had just seen – a pill-popping and brain-damaged Oklahoma matriarch, the mother of three daughters and the wife of an alcoholic poet – also was suffering from mouth cancer. Sometimes I wish I could fool the way my mind works, but after such a pleasant late dinner ($60), as I made my departure, my tongue was burning and I was wondering if I could have it too.

Great review! I visited Avec one Sunday not too long ago, as the sun hung low and as the night opened its big fat mouth: why, the finale of Sopranos waited at home. Only Central Time!! Do'h. Anyway, I liked the whole package there. It was perfect for what I wanted...it was even perfect for what I might not have wanted. Parking is pie on Sunday. There's food, there's wine, there may even be chalkboards. I can't possibly tell you anymore.

Has anyone ever been to Scylla? I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks and want to check it out.

I would appreciate any other Chicago suggestions you would like to share.

Thank you!

I have been to Scylla and really enjoyed my meal. Unfortunately, they are closing later this month (8/26/07 is the date I read on another forum). What types of food are you interested in during your visit? That would help narrow some suggestions...

So...

If I have like one or two places to go, knowing my taste for Palena and less so for molecules, where do I go? Also, I know about steak places, so I mean beyond those.

And what's with this Pop? Champagne bar? Curious.

POPS for Champagne is a great place for the drink,.,, ,really reasonably priced and great depth of growers and vintages for not too much higher than retail.... also a good place for chapagne is NoMI, or cheap wines is CRU

:angry:

Has anyone ever been to Scylla? I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks and want to check it out.

I would appreciate any other Chicago suggestions you would like to share.

Thank you!

It's probably too late for you, but we had fabulous meals at Tru and Alinea. I would urge everyone to try Alinea now -- you can do the 7-course menu rather than the 24-course menu. We also had a fine lunch at Topolobampo that was only marred by service issues. Charlie Trotter's, although maligned by some, is still considered one of the best restaurants in the country, if not the world. If you're looking for off-the-beaten path restaurants, some of my favorites from when I lived there are the Indian Garden, Les Nomades, Margie's Ice Cream, and the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company, which serves pizza pot pies. Chicago's one of those towns I wish I could spend a while tasting my way through...

Had the good fortune to accompany Mrs. dcavidm to Chicago for a Labor Day weekend conference, and had the opportunity to try an old favorite plus some new ones.

Old favorite is Frontera, where we arrived about 4:30 to wait in line for the 5:00 opening. About eight people were ahead of us, but by 5 the line was several dozen long (and by the time we left around 7:00 the host was telling people the wait would be 2+ hours). I’ve never liked the idea that even if many tables are available you get shunted to the bar for 20 minutes of mandatory wait time before being seated, but thankfully the margaritas are good, a watermelon mojito was exquisitely refreshing after a hot, sunny day, and the food is worth the wait. For appetizers, the ceviche yucateco (steamed organic shrimp and calamari tossed with lime, orange, habanero, avocado, jícama and cilantro) third of the Trio, Trio, Trio ceviche sampling outshined the rest and will be a solo order the next time. Flautas de camarones (crispy taquitos filled with rock shrimp and potatoes, covered with Oaxacan pasilla chile sauce) were earthy and satisfying. I’ll definitely go back for the main course, a sublime braised short rib special that was among the best I have had. Perfectly cooked and generously seasoned, but not so much that that the beefy flavor was lost. Mrs. dcdavidm’s tacos al carbon (pork sliced and served with roasted pepper rajas, two salsas, frijoles charros, guacamole and homemade tortillas) was composed of excellent ingredients.

Having been to Blackbird, we were excited to also try its small-plate sister restaurant, Avec. Alas, the celebrated pea shoot crostini was no longer available, and we settled for its replacement, a more late-summer offering of roasted corn and fennel bruschetta that was just right. We also had the salumi assortment of three paper-thin slices of each of four excellently cured sausages; great flavors but overpriced, I thought. A shared plate of crispy chicken thigh with fingerling potatoes, grilled scallions, piquillo peppers, and frisee salad was terrific and generous. Wonderful Belgian beers went with everything. We liked the décor, the communal seating, and the seasonal menu, and will return.

Finally, we tried North Pond, located in a beautiful plains-style building on the north side of a pond in Lincoln Park. The setting is eye-appealing, and the restaurant’s draw is a seasonal menu composed as much as possible of locally grown products, including fruits and vegetables from the local farmers’ markets. An appetizer of griddled calamari, Maine crab, muskmelon, watermelon, avocado, peanuts, and arugula was sea and sunshine combined, and a plate of sliced heirloom tomatoes, grilled onion, and Parmesan bread salad, topped with balsamic vinegar and olive oil was a perfect way to end the summer; the tomatoes were pure sun-drenched richness. Main dishes included a grilled Berkshire pork chop with pieces of braised pork belly, a crispy rice cake, shell beans, and a bell pepper-cucumber relish. The dish was done perfectly; rich flavors but not too heavy for what was still summer in the city. A grilled vermillion snapper filet, with bacon-wilted greens and a charred tomato-mint compote and apple was a nice blend of flavors and textures. A shared plate of sorbet (watermelon, white peach, and blackberry) with a sprinkling of fresh fruit was a fine ending.

I need some Chicago help. We are heading there this weekend for a little getaway (just the wife and I). We have reservations at Alinea for Sunday night and plan on swinging by Frontera grill when we arrive late tomorrow night. We are looking for a good suggestion for dinner on Saturday night. Would like to spend around $150 for the 2 of us. Any suggestions? Looking for something creative and good, yet don't want to do any of the "molecular gastronomy" places as we will be doing that on Sunday night. Don't really want to do Asian cuisine as we have that here in DC. We were thinking of trying Avec, but they don't take reservations and I think it is fairly small.

Also, we could use a suggestion for a relatively inexpensive but tasty lunch on Saturday afternoon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, we could use a suggestion for a relatively inexpensive but tasty lunch on Saturday afternoon.
Where are you staying and how far are you willing to travel? Others probably have better suggestions, but I was reminiscing on The Berghoff when I just found out they closed! I always recommend going there for a good brew just because it's a Chicago landmark sort of thing, but I did find a substitute/newly reopened Berghoff Cafe.

I need some Chicago help. We are heading there this weekend for a little getaway (just the wife and I). We have reservations at Alinea for Sunday night and plan on swinging by Frontera grill when we arrive late tomorrow night. We are looking for a good suggestion for dinner on Saturday night. Would like to spend around $150 for the 2 of us. Any suggestions? Looking for something creative and good, yet don't want to do any of the "molecular gastronomy" places as we will be doing that on Sunday night. Don't really want to do Asian cuisine as we have that here in DC. We were thinking of trying Avec, but they don't take reservations and I think it is fairly small.

I can think ofa number of places that fit perfectly. 75/pp will get you decently far at Blackbird, which is amazing (one of chicago's best), Spring (in my view the best and most creative seafood restaurant in Chicago), at Cafe Spiaggia it will get you wine, 3 courses and out the door with tip (note that Cafe Spiaggia isn't anything revolutionary, but just very well executed Italian food. Ask to sit next to one of the windows so you get the great view of the magnificent mile), if you're not going to Moto for your MG meal I'd consider going to their other restaurant, Otom which has some elements of MG to it, but it isn't entirely MG.

I live in Chicago and am happy to help in any way possible.

Let me tell you what I'd do if I were in your shoes for a Saturday night, though I don't know what your tolerance for drinking is. If I were in Chicago for just a few nights I'd want to get off the magnificent mile and see a neighborhood. I'd start by going to the Violet Hour at 6 PM on the nose, so I could walk in and get an amazing cocktail. Violet Hour is a speak easy, ala PX, and is doing cocktails at that level. If it's 6 PM, I'd look for the most inexperienced bar tender and order a Ramos Gin Fizz, if for no other reason than to screw with him :mellow:.

I'd then take the short walk around the corner to Spring and have an amazing seafood experience. Afterwards if you wanted to have some more drinks the wicker park area in which these are both located have just tons of great bars.

Like I said, ping me for any questions you might have.

Where are you staying and how far are you willing to travel?

e are staying around Michigan Ave and Rush St. I guess that is considered "River North" As for lunch on Saturday, we were trying to find a place in Wicker Park/Bucktown, or around Lincoln Park. We are willing to take a cab, so location isn't so important. Thanks.

We are staying around Michigan Ave and Rush St. I guess that is considered "River North" As for lunch on Saturday, we were trying to find a place in Wicker Park/Bucktown, or around Lincoln Park. We are willing to take a cab, so location isn't so important. Thanks.
Forgot to respond to this.

Lunch in Wicker Park on a Saturday really tends to mean brunch- sure there are some places to get lunch, but really in this neighborhood you want brunch at that hour.

A few places immediately come to mind (note we live in Wicker Park, so we've been able to weed through a lot of the crap in the neighborhood).

1. Milk and Honey, on Division (not the one on Damen, that's just a cafe and you want real food). You want the Huevos Rancheros or the Turkey Rueben. The line will be out the door, but it moves fast, so be patient.

1920 W. Division St

2. Bongo Room, on Milwaukee. Again line's going to be out the door. The real treat here are the sweet breakfast entrees.

1470 N. Milwaukee Ave

I pulled the reverse jpschust, having recently moved here FROM Chicago, so hopefully I can be of some help as well.

Jonathon's suggesting of Blackbird is an excellent one, ditto hitting Spring after the Violet Hour (this, presuming you're looking for midrange excellence and not ethnic eats).

And while his brunch suggestions are good ones if you're looking for traditional brunch, that can be had anywhere and strikes me as a missed opportunity. I know you nixed Asian, but there are some truly exceptional Thai places in Chicago, should you reconsider. I personally wouldn't consider a trip to Chicago complete without grabbing an Italian Beef sandwich at some point (deep dish and the Chicago-style dog are the better known of the Chicago signature gutbusters, but the Italian Beef is where it's at.) Of course, Italian Beef stands aren't long on atmosphere, so if you're looking for a relaxing sit down, that's not so much going to be the case. Most have seating, but these places are, for the most part, greasy little holes -- part of the charm. If that's of interest, I can run those options down for you in exhaustive fashion. Or hit Hot Doug's (www.hotdougs.com). You'll wait in line, but it couldn't be more worth it. Check out his menu on the website. You can get one Chicago-style dog and one of his daily specials and kill two birds with one stone. It's totally unique and fantastically awesome. Plus, on a Saturday, he'll be doing the duck fat fries.

More coming... I need to think a bit...

Or hit Hot Doug's (www.hotdougs.com). You'll wait in line, but it couldn't be more worth it. Check out his menu on the website. You can get one Chicago-style dog and one of his daily specials and kill two birds with one stone. It's totally unique and fantastically awesome. Plus, on a Saturday, he'll be doing the duck fat fries.

Hot Doug's is closed this week for vacation (3/3-3/8). They re-open 3/10.

y go to spot in Chicago is Avec on Randolph - Paul Kahan's fab casual restaurant, or its fancier next door sibling Blackbird. Avec you can easily do for $150 - Blackbird also if you watch yourself on the vino. Avec does not take reservations but the tables turn quickly - and it is CASUAL - communal tables make up a large portion of the dining room.

Thanks for all of the good advice. We were able to get a reservation at Blackbird for Saturday night, soI think we will stick with that. I wanted to try Avec, but we probably don't feel like waiting a long time (in the freezing cold) for a table. We may check out the Violet Hour if time permits. The main reason for our trip is to eat at Alinea, so on Sunday I think we will save our appetite....Thanks again everyone.

J

The main reason for our trip is to eat at Alinea, so on Sunday I think we will save our appetite.

Don't save it too much. Though the number of courses be huge, the size of most of them be quite small -- smaller than most tasting menus. You want to be hungry, of course, but if you go in ravenous I think it'll drive you nuts.

I know you nixed Asian, but there are some truly exceptional Thai places in Chicago, should you reconsider. I personally wouldn't consider a trip to Chicago complete without grabbing an Italian Beef sandwich at some point (deep dish and the Chicago-style dog are the better known of the Chicago signature gutbusters, but the Italian Beef is where it's at.) Of course, Italian Beef stands aren't long on atmosphere, so if you're looking for a relaxing sit down, that's not so much going to be the case. Most have seating, but these places are, for the most part, greasy little holes -- part of the charm. If that's of interest, I can run those options down for you in exhaustive fashion.

I'm heading to Chicago in a couple weeks. A rundown of italian beef places would be excellent (or is there a thread on lth that i should peruse?). Heck, thai options would be helpful too. I'll be with a couple of my college buddies, so fancier things are probably out (as much as I'd like to try Alinea, Topolobampo, Blackbird, Spring...). We're staying in the Wicker Park area but willing to walk pretty far.

And the beer situation....looks like Map Room and Piece brewpub are must-hit. Goose Island. Maybe Clark Street Ale House. Any other places where a beer nerd like myself will feel at home?

I'm heading to Chicago in a couple weeks. A rundown of italian beef places would be excellent (or is there a thread on lth that i should peruse?). Heck, thai options would be helpful too. I'll be with a couple of my college buddies, so fancier things are probably out (as much as I'd like to try Alinea, Topolobampo, Blackbird, Spring...). We're staying in the Wicker Park area but willing to walk pretty far.

And the beer situation....looks like Map Room and Piece brewpub are must-hit. Goose Island. Maybe Clark Street Ale House. Any other places where a beer nerd like myself will feel at home?

Paging Dominic!!! His blog actually has a ton of stuff... his Italian beef post is great.

public transport all the way. not opposed to a cabride if it's necessary, but hoping to avoid them if possible.

Okay, that narrows the field a bit :-)

The tough part about IB is that the best places are on the outskirts of the city. Here would be my recs for IB near Wicker Park, in order of preference:

Tore's - It's either a good hike (1.6 miles from North & Damen) or a very short cab ride. Very good, very consistent, does the sandwich justice. It's my favorite spot near the city core. Incidentally, if you're walking up Western to get there, you pass Honey 1 on the east side of the street, which is exemplary chicago-style BBQ (we do, surprisingly, have our own style). The pitman, Robert Adams, runs a wood-fired aquarium smoker. Honey 1 is all about the tips and links combo (sauce on the side highly recommended). Otherwise, I don't think there's a compelling reason to use up a vacation stop on it, but the tips & links are very much a Chicago thing, Adams nails them, and they'd make a great appetizer for an Italian Beef :-) On this same walk, you'll also pass Quenchers. Horrible name that's totally misleading about the character of the place. I haven't been and I'm not a beer nerd, but folks I know who are and whom I trust swear by the place.

Al's - You can hop on the blue line right in Wicker Park, and it's a short walk from the UIC-Halsted stop. Al's is always a tricky one for me. Theirs is a little atypical, and it's a love it or hate it kind of place. It's not my style, but many folks I know who are no less obsessive about IB and whose tastes I otherwise respect greatly swear by it. So I recommend it a little higher up the list than my personal preference. It's more spicy and less sweet than most of the other IB spots. And the atmosphere is quintessential greasy grungy Chicago beef stand. Do NOT go to any of the satellite Al's stands. They're universally awful. The original on Taylor street only, if you decide to go that way. Also nearby, if you really want to destroy yourself, are the Maxwell Street Polish stands: Jim's Original and Maxwell Street Express. They're both on Union right along the highway (they were moved from Maxwell Street when UIC expanded). The Maxwell Street Polish is another Chicago thing, though lesser known than some others. It's just a good grilled polish sausage with mustard, griddled onions and sport peppers. If you go there, don't agonize over which place to choose. If you're a Futurama fan, it's basically like choosing between Jack Johnson and John Jackson.

Portillo's - I feel a little dirty putting a chain on the list, but they turn out a good, consistent beef (consistency being notoriously hard to come by at beef stands). It's a solid 7 out of 10 every single time, and it's almost textbook. There are better and more interesting to be had for sure, but it's more worthy than chain-haters would like to admit, and it's a good baseline. It's right in River North (just west of North Michigan Avenue) and easily accessible by El.

Mr. Beef - A few years ago, this would have been my number one recommendation, absolutely, hands down, no question. Now, I'm scared to send first-timers there. When they're on, they're better than everybody else I've mentioned here. And again, quintessential Chicago beef stand -- right down to the Elegant Dining Room. But in the last couple of years, they've become wildly inconsistent. I've had tens and twos just days apart. I'd hate for you to get a lousy sandwich on your first try, and it's a crapshoot with them these days.

Jay's - I list this one only because it's really close to where you'll be staying. It's on North Avenue just a few blocks west of Damen. It's not bad, it's just at the lower end of the upper echelon, as it were. Better to hit Jay's than escape Chicago without trying an IB, but I put this one dead last for a reason. If you find yourself thinking about Jay's, just spend a few bucks on a cab and go to Tore's.

Incidentally, not that I expect you'd even consider it given the insane distance and difficulty reaching it by public transporation, but there's a downhill alert on my old favorite, Chickie's. New owners. Drop in quality. Don't bother.

I've written about all of these more extensively via the link Synaesthesia provided above.

Non-IB recs shortly.

Okay... non-IB recs:

You mention Thai. You'll read about it everywhere, but don't even think about Arun's. I assume that won't be an option anyway since you're trying to keep the nut down, but just in case it ever came up as an option -- forget about it. I've heard great things about Elephant Thai and Sticky Rice, but I haven't been to either yet. I'm having a really hard time breaking away from Spoon Thai (not to be confused with Thai Spoon) and TAC Quick. And, bonus, both are easily accessible by El and inexpensive. Spoon is right by Lincoln Square, just a couple of blocks from the Western stop on the brown line. TAC is practically under the Sheridan stop on the red line. Just watch the Cubs schedule. The Sheridan stop is just one away from Addison (Wrigley Field), so if you try to get in or out before or after a Cubs game, the trains will be packed to the gills and you might have trouble. At either place, ask for Erik's menu (he's a pal of mine who translated the Thai menus at a lot of the Chicago places, and he's the one who turned Jonathan Gold onto Jitlada Thai in L.A., if you're familiar with that story). Some favorite dishes:

Spoon:

Kài Thâwt - Marinated fried chicken with tamarind dipping sauce

Néua Tàet Dìaw - Thai-style beef jerky

Plaa Sôm - Fried sour fish. Wasn't on the menu previously, but I've heard rumors she offers it to those who ask now and again. If you're feeling brave, call a week ahead and ask, and maybe you'll get lucky. It's worth it.

Phàt Phèt Mũu Pàa - Spicy stir-try with wild boar

Sâi Kràwk Isãan - Grilled Isaan-style pork and rice sausage

Nãem Khâo Thâwt - Deep-fried rice salad with pressed ham <-- DO NOT SKIP

Phàk Bûng Fai Daeng - Water spinach with fermented yellow bean sauce (call ahead)

Also, if you call ahead, they might do green curry with fish balls for you -- highly recommended.

TAC Quick:

Kài Thâwt - Marinated fried chicken with tamarind dipping sauce

Sâi Kràwk Isãan - Grilled Isaan-style pork and rice sausage

Tôm Sâep - Sour Isaan-style soup with beef offal

Phrík Kà-Pì Plaa Thuu - Fermented shrimp dip with grilled mackerel and crudite

Khaw Mũu Yâang - Grilled pork neck

Crispy On Choy - Tempura-fried water spinach, minced chicken, poached shrimp, mint <-- DO NOT SKIP

Krà-Phrao Kràwp Khài Yiaw Mûa - Deep-fried holy basil with minced chicken and preserved eggs

Sômtam Puu Maa - Papaya salad with fresh blue crab

Phàt Phèt Plaa Dùk - Stir-fried catfish with green curry

Kũay Tĩaw Reua - Spicy rice noodle soup with beef. INTENSE.

Both are outstanding. I couldn't recommend one over the other. If you're dying for a tiebreaker, TAC tends to be more consistent than Spoon, I think (I've had off nights at Spoon). Not that you need a third Thai option, but if you do, Aroy Thai is just a couple doors down from TAC, and doesn't get the respect it should. I've only been there once, however, and don't have a favorites list compiled. Further photos and descriptions of some here.

Also, you should probably get some Mexican. You don't need to do Frontera or Topolobampo for incredible Mexican. There's a horde of great regional Mexican spots that are nice for sitting down but inexpensive. I'm not as well-versed in these spots, sadly, so you might want to comb LTH a bit. For cheapy hole-in-the-wall Mexican, you could cruise down to Pilsen (18th Street stop on the blue or pink lines) and hit Birrieria Reyes de Ocotlan and Carnitas Uruapan. On the fringe of Wicker Park, you have Carniceria Leon and La Pasadita within a block of Ashland & Division. La Pasadita isn't amazing, but it's very good for carne asada -- only hit the grubby little shack on the east side of Ashland, not the two sit-down restaurants on the west side (yes, they have three locations on the same block). Carniceria Leon IS awesome, pretty much all around, but in particular for Al Pastor. It's a little taqueria tucked into the back of a small grocery. Or, you can go to my old favorite haunt. Cemitas Puebla is either a MAJOR hike, or not too bad of a cab ride. 2.5 miles west of North/Damen/Milwaukee on North Avenue (south side of the street). Cemitas Puebla is really special. The specialty is, of course, the cemita. I recommend the milanese. Crisp milanese, fresh avocado and cheese, house-pickled chipotles, and papalo if it's in season, all on a beautifully toasted sesame roll. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never had a Mexican sandwich that's a quarter as good as these. Also awesome are the chalupas and tacos arabes and orientales. It's really, really worth a short cab ride. And it's cheap. Right in the neighborhood and open 24 hours is Arturo's Tacos on the corner of Western and Division, which was my default late-night stop. It's not at the level of excellence as the others, but it's good, cheap short order all night Mexican. Avoid Flash Taco like the black death, no matter how convenient it may be.

As for the immediate neighborhood, that's where I lived from 2001 up until last summer. Sadly, while there are a lot of restaurants where you'll be staying, some of them decent, there really aren't any great ones. It's a heavy boozy-party neighborhood that's mostly overpriced/undergood too cool for school midrange (Spring being a good exception). Though it's mega-pretentious and way too cool for its own good, The Violet Hour serves INCREDIBLE cocktails. But if you're a beer guy, I don't know that it will hold much interest. If you do, best to hit them right when they open, sit at the bar, and then bail before it starts to get crowded. Piece does make a nice pizza. For reasons I've never understood, it doesn't travel well. It seems to lose 60% of its deliciousness the moment you walk out the front door. Sushi isn't exactly a strength in Chicago, but if you're just dying for raw fish, I'd say either Bob-San or Mirai down on division, and avoid everything else in the neighborhood. Bob-San for the basics, Mirai for upscale funkiness. If you do Mirai, call ahead and ask them to hold an order of yukke toro for you. It's a marinated toro tartare with quail egg and some other seasonings. It's almost worth stopping in just to have that. Feast isn't anything special, but it's right there and it's solid -- moreso than most of its neighbors, anyway. They do a skirt steak with chimmichurri that's particularly good.

Um... anything else in particular that interests you? I could go on, but I figure it'd be best to tailor to your interests. As far as Chicago specialties go, yeah, grab a Chicago-style dog at some point if you can (hit Hot Doug's -- see above). They're ubiquitous, but obviously quality runs the gamut. You may be tempted by Underdogg since it's right there, but don't bother. Don't feel compelled to have deep dish, no matter what anybody says. If you're interested, yeah, it's good, I dig it. But you shouldn't feel like you're missing anything if you don't have it.

Oh... also...

I know DC has some decent Chinese and for the most part there's no reason for you to do Chinese in Chicago, but Chicago's Chinatown is another easy El stop, and Lao Sze Chuan is really, really, really spectacular. I've been to China 40 times or so on business, and it's one of the precious few places in the States that makes me feel like I'm eating over there. Favorites:

Sliced Beef and Maw Szechuan Style - Cold appetizer

Szechuan Spicy Rabbit - Cold appetizer

Ma Po Dofu - Recommended with ground pork supplement

Lamb with Pure Cumin Powder Xin Jiang Style

House Special Dry Chili Prawns with Shell

And these last two aren't Sicuhan, but they're so damn good, I'd call them both must-haves:

Tony's Chicken with Three Chili - AKA Chicken Crack

Shrimp with Mayonnaise Sauce - Loses 80% of its awesomeness within three minutes of hitting the table. Eat immediately.

One more, for the beer nerd in you:

Hop Leaf is a spot that serves an absurd number of Belgian beers. Absurd. And they have some pretty damn good food, too. Short walk from the Berwyn stop on the red line. The only problem is that the place is a fricking zoo. If you want to eat, get there very early or wait forever. If you do go there, pop into Pasticceria Natalina a few blocks north for amazing Italian pastries. Pasticceria Natalina is a little inconsistent about their hours, so it's a good idea to call and check.

If you're in Chinatown, and you like bubble tea or fruity shakes and the like... Joy Yee's. Best bubble tea ever.

My experience with bubble tea is fairly limited, but I'm also a fan of Saint's Alp, across the street to the south. It's an outpost of a Hong Kong chain.

so both my father in law and mother in law are retiring this spring, both after about 40 years with the same employer. we are in dc, but will travel to chicago to meet with siblings for a retirement celebration, part of which will be dinner on saturday night, and which will be a surprise.

here's the rub. father in law's picture of heaven is 9 courses with wine pairing. cost is not an issue.

mother in law prefers a scallop appetizer, perfectly done, with a chocolate dessert and a diet coke. 60 minutes and out. she't not averse to fine dining by any means, just to three and a half hour meals.

so there will be 8 of us. and we are looking for a memorable dinner that is delicious and special, but doesn't strain my mothers patience and my fathers aversion to gimickry (when we described our meal at minibar he didn't quite "get it.")

we want something warm. delicious. not overly formal, but memorable nonetheless. we don't mind spending some money, but don't want to spend it for its own sake. we will be in oak park, but willing to travel into the city or suburbs for the right meal.

oh - and they've already hit blackbird, tru, and topolambopo.

any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

oh - and if it matters at all, this will be our first unhurried meal out since the birth of our son in september, so we want it to be special for us too. our current favorites. palena. komi. granville moore's. restaurant eve.

actually - restaurant eve is a good reference point. we've eaten there wtih my parents in the bistro and they both loved it. formal enough for my father in law. but my mother in law loved it too. where can we find the bistro at eve in chicago...including offal.

thanks, dm

I had a great dinner at Avenues last November, but I've read the chef is leaving. If Chef Bowles will be there when you will be I would definitely check them out. The food was perfectly prepared new american, which was definitely creative but much more classical than Alinea or Moto. My meal at Alinea was better, but it sounds like your folks may not be into it.

For someplace a little less formal than blackbird, but a menu that's just great in my opinion- what about Sola? www.sola-restaurant.com. I've got a few other places, but let me know if that menu looks appealing to you.

the menu at sola looks very good to me, and the seafood influence would definately be appealing to my mother in law. have also heard good things about schwa, north pond, and spring. are you able to compare or speak to the relative advantages or shortcomings of these?