Bonchon Chicken, KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) in Numerous Suburban Locations

The virtue of Bon Chon has *never* been the quality of its cheap, frozen chicken; it was the novel method of coating and cooking it. These larger drumsticks are of lower quality than the ones that were originally served in Annandale, and since they're so much larger, the diner is forced to eat more of the uncoated, sub-par meat, and less of the crispy exterior. lion's confirmation that Fairfax's drumsticks have doubled in size tells me that they're probably sourcing them from the same place as Rosslyn (which have also doubled in size from the old Annandale location), and that tells me that other places may be as well. Do not forget that (in theory, at least) I rate chains according to the quality of their weakest link - this is why Jaleo has never been in Italic. The appeal of Bon Chon isn't all that far away from the appeal of pork rinds.

My kids prefer the larger drumsticks to the previous ones or the wings. The spice level has been lower at the Rockville location since they opened; never as hot as they were when the chain first started expanding in DC. Deliberate, perhaps?

That said, it's still a regular stop of ours. They are always playing with other items on the menu at Rockville, and I don't consider the changes to be a decrease in quality.

My kids prefer the larger drumsticks to the previous ones or the wings. The spice level has been lower at the Rockville location since they opened; never as hot as they were when the chain first started expanding in DC. Deliberate, perhaps?

That said, it's still a regular stop of ours. They are always playing with other items on the menu at Rockville, and I don't consider the changes to be a decrease in quality.

I like this post. As long as we state what we experience honestly (and we both did), we can both form our own opinions - neither is wrong, and neither is right. I certainly have no right to claim any Fried Chicken Judging Title any more than you do.

Daniel, you're good at issuing checks and balances without looking like you're trying to "challenge" anything. I like that about you.

There's also the fact that if the drumsticks are larger, and they cook them for the same 30 minutes they always have, not only would the extra meat be superfluous, but potentially undercooked as well.  Also - and I'm willing to grant this is baseless speculation - but isn't 'bigger' in the food industry usually just code for 'chemically-enhanced/hormone-juiced?'

One can only hope that, even if they don't care about a loss in quality, the extra time to properly cook (or at least reasonably assure a lack of foodborne illness) an 80-100% larger drumstick and the resultant loss of profits due to slower turnaround will persuade them to go back to what worked.

FWIW, I don't think they cook to order during peak times at Rockville. It does not take 30 minutes to get chicken.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. As long as it's fresh, and not sitting for an hour under a heat lamp, I don't care that they had a batch in the fryer when I walked in the door.

We had been only ordering the legs at the Annandale location (Chi Mc) but about 2 months ago while my brother in law was in town, we took him to Chi Mc and got an order of the wings as well as an order of the legs. It had been several years since we got the wings but I must say I liked them much better than the legs.  The other posters are right.  The legs have gotten bigger and IMHO are not as flavorful.  The meat to crispy skin ratio is better with the smaller wings and little drumsticks. 

The licensing notion, as mentioned by RWBoone above, and as contrasted with franchising which generally yields a fairly standard product, would seemingly be a good reason to downgrade the overall rating, and then let the posts in the thread advise us as to which of the locations are better than the others.

I have not been to any of the locations, but hope to try this stuff soon.  After my college-age son recently had a positive experience at Honey Pig, I came on here to check out the current status of Bon Chon, so that possibly we could experience this together.  The information presented here is very useful, and I would be looking to try one of the better locations, and maybe not the one that is most convenient to us.

Had my first taste of Bon Chon this weekend -- went to the new location in Annandale, got a combo of wings & drums, half hot and half soy garlic so I could get a good representative taste of what they offer.  I ordered to go and the order was ready in about 10 minutes, so my guess is that the chicken is cooked and then goes a second run through the deep fryer to get it hot again.  The hot wings were very hot spice-wise, to the point that I didn't find them very appealing.  The heat-to-meat ratio was better with the drumstick for my tastes.  The soy garlic was not very strong on either flavor and I liked the wings better there because with the bland chicken meat with the bland glaze, at least with the wings there was a better crunchiness than with the drum.   The chicken itself is almost flavorless; there doesn't seem to be any brining or marinating that I could tell.  Overall, I wasn't very impressed.  I'll probably give it another try in a month or so, but I don't think it's going to be high on my go-back list.

The décor in the new location is a simple black/white/red color scheme, a bar front and center with well-spaced tables and booths to the left and right as you come in.  I sat at the bar waiting for my order to be called up and it was a mess back there -- 7 or 8 soda tanks shoved to one side, the hoses tossed into the middle, a couple of old towels on the floor.  Maybe they had a leak or something earlier, but that still wasn't an appealing sight.

Bonchon Chicken, a Korean Fried Chicken (KFC) franchise, is coming to Philadelphia.

I suspect Philadelphians will immediately fall in love with the eternally crispy skin, and that the novelty will wear thin after enough time goes by. The quality of some of the Bonchon franchises has slipped here in the the Washington, DC area.

Nevertheless, it really is unlike anything you've ever tried before - they double-fry it in a super wok (I think), and the chicken stays hot and crispy for over thirty minutes (actually it stays crispy for much longer than that).

You can get a double-mix of drummies and wings, and soy-garlic and hot chili sauce - I've always found the wings with soy-garlic to be the best combination - the drumsticks (the actual chicken) have really changed in quality and size (they are now nuclear-sized) over the past couple of years.

"Update on BonChon Korean Fried Chicken" by Arthur Etchells on phillymag.com

This will have multiple locations in Philadelphia before you know it. "Bonchon" means "my hometown," by the way.

The chicken I've gotten from BonChon in Arlington seems greasier and not as crunchy/crispy as I remember from when I first got BonChon....Don't know if it's just me....

The chicken I've gotten from BonChon in Arlington seems greasier and not as crunchy/crispy as I remember from when I first got BonChon....Don't know if it's just me....

It's not just you.

Grover (or equivalent), I'm pretty sure Bon Chon is two different words, but the restaurant seems to use it as one on their website. In fact, I've noticed this a lot with area Korean restaurants - they have multiple words in their name, but string them together as one (e.g., Gooldaegee as opposed to Gool Dae Gee - although calling it "Honey Pig" (which Gool Dae Gee may, or may not, translate to) was as brilliant of a marketing stroke as I've ever seen in the Korean restaurant industry - this is *exactly* why they're so popular (think about it: there are plenty of Korean BBQ restaurants - why did this place hit paydirt?)). When a Korean restaurant pastes these words together in its name, it becomes more difficult, not less, for me to remember - does anyone else have any thoughts about this regional crisis?

It's not just you.

Grover (or equivalent), I'm pretty sure Bon Chon is two different words, but the restaurant seems to use it as one on their website. In fact, I've noticed this a lot with area Korean restaurants - they have multiple words in their name, but string them together as one (e.g., Gooldaegee as opposed to Gool Dae Gee - although calling it "Honey Pig" (which Gool Dae Gee may, or may not, translate to) was as brilliant of a marketing stroke as I've ever seen in the Korean restaurant industry - this is *exactly* why they're so popular (think about it: there are plenty of Korean BBQ restaurants - why did this place hit paydirt?)). When a Korean restaurant pastes these words together in its name, it becomes more difficult, not less, for me to remember - does anyone else have any thoughts about this regional crisis?

It's not marketing, it's economics. You have to pay for the space.  :blink:

The new one that opened in Annandale (behind To Sok Jip) seems to be frying their chicken the way I remember.  Crunchy, not greasy.

I just found out about this place when a buddy brought some to the Super Bowl party. I haven't looked through this thread, so I may be repeating others. Anyway, I got my own order from the Fairfax location the other night, and it was very good. I didn't realize that it would take 35+ minutes for them to cook my order, so now i know to call ahead. We got a large combo of wings and drumsticks, and a small strips, all in soy-garlic. Even after a 15 minute ride hime, everything remained crunchy. I'd prefer a bit more sauce on the drumsticks and wings, but that's a personal preference and not a systemic failure of the restaurant. This probably varies by order anyway, as I recall the Super Bowl versions being saucier. The drumsticks and wings were much better than the strips, btw, with the strips being less crunchy and rather bland. In fact, I wouldn't order the strips again (that is, unlike my sauce comment, i do think this is how the restaurant makes them). The pickled radishes on the side were a nice touch, and the slaw was just fine (again, almost no sauce), but mostly an afterthought.

• Like 1

Never even thought of bringing Bon Chon to a Super Bowl Party. What a great idea.

I go to the Arlington one occasionally. I don't notice any difference between that and the Annandale one or the Fairfax one. I think they seem to have a pretty standardized process, so I found it to be quite consistent.

The one thing that I have found is that as a frequent solo diner here, sometimes I'm not in a rush and I wouldn't mind waiting 35 minutes, but because my order is so small it comes within minutes after ordering because they just finished big orders for other people and the left over makes up my meal. I went in at 700pm and out by 730pm last week, barely finished my beer by the time dinner was polished off. Yeah, I ate a whole order of fried chicken and the sides by myself in 20 minutes. Whatever. Don't judge me. I did a boot camp that night and was starving.

Never even thought of bringing Bon Chon to a Super Bowl Party. What a great idea.

I go to the Arlington one occasionally. I don't notice any difference between that and the Annandale one or the Fairfax one. I think they seem to have a pretty standardized process, so I found it to be quite consistent.

The one thing that I have found is that as a frequent solo diner here, sometimes I'm not in a rush and I wouldn't mind waiting 35 minutes, but because my order is so small it comes within minutes after ordering because they just finished big orders for other people and the left over makes up my meal. I went in at 700pm and out by 730pm last week, barely finished my beer by the time dinner was polished off. Yeah, I ate a whole order of fried chicken and the sides by myself in 20 minutes. Whatever. Don't judge me. I did a boot camp that night and was starving.

No judgment here. And, realize you have a day job. But, seriously, maybe consider this? :-)

"Molly Schuyler Eats 363 Chicken Wings In 30 Minutes, Sets New Wing Bowl Record" on huffingtonpost.com

It'd be cool to have a bona-fide food celebrity here.

I've ordered delivery from the Arlington Bon Chon twice now, to feed a hungry horde of teenagers (and myself).  The soy-garlic wings were delicious each time - crispy, very flavorful, and very meaty.  The spicy wings were far too spicy the first time -- the teens left more than half of them behind, even though they were still hungry enough to check if any regular wings were left.  The second time I ordered far fewer spicy, and they were also much less spicy. Definitely tolerable that time.  But I prefer the soy-garlic.  Pickled radish was a good foil for the wings, and I like the white-or-brown rice option for sides.

Delivery was easy, and the one time that it was going to take them longer, they warned me before I ordered that it could take up to an hour and fifteen minutes (after she got my address, she re-estimated the time to 45 minutes, and it took 40).  So much better than places that wait till you order to tell you it will be a long time.

The zucchini fries were delicious - perfectly fried zucchini, great texture, huge amount (too much for one person as a side).  I hadn't read this thread before, so now I know to get pork buns.

• Like 1

The Fox Chapel Shopping Center in Germantown has a sign up announcing a new Bon Chon Chicken. Specifically, it's the recently closed Roy Rogers (previously a Wendy's). This is the same shopping center as the Honey Pig (opened in October 2013).

Should I be worried that Bon Chon's sign included the word "addicted" in large letters?

When it's good, it's good.  But don't expect perfection.

• Like 1

I popped in to the Navy Yard location on a whim today, when I was killing time before needing to head to the airport. Easy walk from Navy Yard metro. I had the spicy wings. I wasn't expecting the sweetness with the heat. The crisp exterior was nice, and the heat was pronounced, in a good way. Don't think I would crave this, though. I would prefer either traditional fried chicken or buffalo-style wings.The service at the bar was great, and the space is large and airy. I am glad I tried it.

The Navy Yard location is a walking distance away, so why not check it out?! We did last week (Wednesday night, I think). The space is large and we were quickly seated without a reservation. The service was efficient and generally pleasant. Ordered the bulgogi sliders and a Japanese IPA (sorry, forgot the name) to start. The beef was on a dry side but the beer had bright floral and citrus notes. Followed up with a small combo of wings/drums with half and half sauce (spicy/soy garlic). The chicken came out piping hot and was very crispy. The sauces were tasty but more "kick" was desired.  Overall, quite tasty, but as dcandohio noted above, I prefer the good ol' US of A "naked" chicken wings with a spicier sauce to this any day.

Drumsticks are a better bet at Bonchon simply because there's more meat and thicker skin to crisp up better.  They just cost more, and if you don't have a good cook, it can be nice crispy skin and mostly flavorless chicken underneath.

Actually agree with all three of the previous posts. Had last been to a BonChon, in VA, maybe 7-10 years ago but went again to the new Navy Yard location before a ballgame. It wasn't busy 90 min prior to first pitch; nearly empty but think it was a weeknight.

To me, can't even compare this to fried chicken a chef would make in a regular restaurant. It's more fast food or, I guess, "quick casual." Sauces are crowd pleasers with the soy sweet and the hot not that hot. No doubt all engineered to maximize popularity and growth. And they do seem to be growing.

We were a group of four and I just remember the non-chicken things ordered pretty forgettable. The chicken itself though was fine. I'd have to compare it to a place like Peri Peri on Bethesda Row and elsewhere. And, compared to that, I think Bon Chon the much better value. Way more chicken in terms of meatiness and number of pieces for the price.

went again to the new Navy Yard location before a ballgame. It wasn't busy 90 min prior to first pitch; nearly empty but think it was a weeknight.

Do they have a pre-game happy hour? I recall seeing that they were going to offer a happy hour but not when the Nats are in town. I'd like to see that change.

Do they have a pre-game happy hour? I recall seeing that they were going to offer a happy hour but not when the Nats are in town. I'd like to see that change.

Didn't seem like it when we were there but the place was deserted an 90 minutes prior and was only a couple of weeks after they opened. I'd guess by now they do have something like that but, then again, their prices are so much lower than in the part, not sure a HH even makes sense for them business wise since they're primarily a restaurant?  Maybe.

Finally tried a BonChon on Saturday evening -- the Centreville outpost. Place was packed. The highlights were the wings -- big and juicy -- and the seasoned fries, which were outstanding. The chicken strips were meh, and the mandoo were over-fried. The kim chi coleslaw and pickled radish were good.

Also, despite warnings about slow service, our food came out very quickly. And our server, Katlen, was excellent and tres' adorable.

NB: The "spicy" sauce for the chicken is very hot. The soy-garlic sauce is outstanding.

Also finally tried BonChon, someone brought a take out box and it was sitting out on a table at a tailgate in Lot 8 at RFK in 90 degrees temps.  Not sure from what location they were bought.

The drumsticks were like crack, really very tasty.  And still crispy, despite being bought probably at least 30 minutes prior.  I'm assuming they had the soy-garlic sauce, as it was slightly sweet.  The wing sections were hot and not as easy to eat while standing in a parking lot with a beer in hand.

I was impressed.     

Question- I've only ever been to the Bon Chon in Manhattan at 32nd and 5th which is akin to a fried chicken night club in the evening. They have great cocktails. Do the DMV area Bon Chon locations have adult beverages?

I've only been to the old one (now Chi Mc), and they had Cass and Soju; and also carryout in North Arlington which has, if I recall, beer and cheap wine.

Question- I've only ever been to the Bon Chon in Manhattan at 32nd and 5th which is akin to a fried chicken night club in the evening. They have great cocktails. Do the DMV area Bon Chon locations have adult beverages?

I believe Rockville has a full bar.

I've only been to the old one (now Chi Mc), and they had Cass and Soju; and also carryout in North Arlington which has, if I recall, beer and cheap wine.

I believe Rockville has a full bar.

Hyattsville has a huge bar with tvs

Bonchon is a franchise and not a chain, is that right? Does anyone know if they buy their chicken from the same source? I ask this because when I last went to Arlington (over a year ago), the drumsticks had gotten *much* bigger, and for my palate, they weren't as good despite the heft.

Bonchon is a franchise and not a chain, is that right? Does anyone know if they buy their chicken from the same source? I ask this because when I last went to Arlington (over a year ago), the drumsticks had gotten *much* bigger, and for my palate, they weren't as good despite the heft.

I think it's partly semantics. If I recall correctly, they include the small drumsticks in their "wings" category.

First DC location is very bar focused --

l.jpg

Went to the Hyattsville location tonight and first comment is that it was DEAD. Compared to the wait we've always had at Rockville, there were maybe four other groups when we arrived around 7:15, though one of the groups was a large one.

Food-wise, everything followed the formula for the most part. Chicken was nice and crispy perfection. Hot sauce did not seem quite as hot though. Split a 5 drum, 10 wing combo with 5 hot and 10 pcs soy/garlic. After completing eating the 5 hot, my mouth was not blazing as I am accustomed to. Pajun was a little bit greasy, but otherwise good, and the potstickers, ironic they call them that when they are deep fried, were as expected. Not a big fan of the soy garlic they drench them in, but the kids like them.

For as empty as they were, service was a little inattentive, especially after the food came it was difficult to flag down the waiter. It's made more difficult because the main dining area is separated from the bar area by a high wall so the servers can't actually see their tables if they are in the bar area, and closer to the kitchen.

I wonder if this location will survive if tonight was typical. Hopefully everyone was enjoying the beautiful weather accounting for the low patronage.

Went to the one near Nats Park last night (actually evening) while we waited for the crowds to thin out. We got there a little later than perhaps the normal post-game time because we lingered in the park trying to by shirts. Anyhow, by the time we arrived there we no tables and they said it was a 30 minute wait (in reality, I think it was much less), so we just stood at a little side bar area next to the actual bar.

Since we were just killing time, we ordered a round of beer (good variety there) and a 10 piece wing plate, split half and half: half hot sauce, half soy garlic. The hot was HOT! A real nice level of spice but it might be too much for some. The soy garlic was great. There was a hint of sweetness to it.

The crispy, airy skin was the real hit. Almost like a super thin coating of tempura. I understand why their shirts say "Addicted Yet?" If there was one of these close to me, I'd be all over it! Really great and different chicken wings.

I regret not ordering any drums (chicken legs) because that's my favorite part of the chicken, but we weren't starving and just wanted a little taste.

This may be my new post game ritual......certainly beats sitting in bumper to bumper traffic getting stressed out (or being herded, cattle style, into the metro).

• Like 1

I got Bon Chon chicken for the first time today, at the location near the ballpark.  I'd been down to the box office to exchange tickets and stopped in for lunch.  The Nats game started on the tv in front of me just as I sat down. Here I'd thought it was an hour later, so that was a nice surprise.

I got the combo and half and half sauce.  At first I thought the spicy was really hot, but it mellowed pretty quickly and I thought it was fine.  I found the soy-garlic too sweet.  I didn't get a tempura sense from it at all.  It was more like a hard (not light like tempura) shell over the chicken meat.  I liked it okay, but perhaps I'd like it more another time.  I found it a bit greasy.

I loved the pickled radish and service was great.

Stopped by the Hyattsville location on the way from an outing in June. It is NOT really conducive to a 'swing by after work for a to go order' kind of place. The development makes parking a real mess unless you find the garage and then schlepp around from it. I don't really want to pay for parking and there is precious little on street parking in this redevelopment, which I know is by design. But oh well. I guess I will see if the Rockville location is any easier to get in for a similar to go order.