To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

The Clifford Brown Max Roach Quintet was one of the most important music group of all time! The number of young musicians who got their start with MR is mind boggling (I think Art Blakey also was a stand out in this resect). I remember hearing Mr Roach at Chicago's Jazz showcase. His drumming was powerful, estatic, emotional and moving.

One of the true greats! Not a time to be sad, but a time to remeber all the joy he brang and to celebrate having a great one like that in our midsts for so long. As I always lament, that Jazz Band in the Sky just keep on getting better and better!

Michael Jackson, the Beer Hunter, passed away yesterday morning in London. Long a legendary figure at the GABF, Jackson was also an expert on whisk(e)ys, and a prolific author and enthusiastic guest speaker on those topics. Locally, he made occasional appearances at Bob Tupper's beer tasting series at the Brickskeller, often smuggling in various rarities from Europe. His compact guides to the world's single-malts are indispensible, even if they do (unfortunately) contribute to the what's-my-point-score mentality.

I happen to be in Bardstown, Kentucky today, and will raise a glass tonight in his memory.

James Barber, TV chef (The Urban Peasant) and cookbook author, has died.

His wife, Christina Burridge, says "As far as we can tell, James was sitting at the dining room table, he was reading a cookbook, and he had a pot of soup simmering on the stove. So he definitely left this world in a way that he would have wanted to, but I think he would have been pretty upset about the timing," she told CBC News.
Okay - the flavors will surely have had sufficient time to meld. Do you adjust the seasonings before or after calling 911? Or, do you wait and offer a bowl to EMS?

To my girl Glendora-where ever you are. A year ago this weekend it all started for the two of us. Tonight we will finish off the miniatures I bought when you left. You would have yelled at me for drinking but would have loved my hot chocolate that we are using as a chaser.

Miss you G.

I am drinking to 2008!, and all that it has to offer.

I am also drinking to everyone one I lost in 2007. They will not be mentioned here again, unless I change my mind:

Uncle Monroe

Damon

Mama Haz

Brent

Aunt Grace

God bless you, and thank you for everything.

An English doctor was being shown around a Scottish hospital. Near the end of his visit, he saw a ward of patients with no obvious injuries.

He started to examine the first patient, but the man proclaimed:

"Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face / Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"

The doctor, taken aback, moved on to the next patient, who immediately said,

"Some hae meat and canna eat / And some wad eat that want it."

The next patient cried out,

"Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie / O what a panic's in thy breastie!"

"Well," the English doctor muttered to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for last."

"Oh, no," said the Scottish doctor. "This is our serious Burns unit!"

• Like 1

An English doctor was being shown around a Scottish hospital. Near the end of his visit, he saw a ward of patients with no obvious injuries.

He started to examine the first patient, but the man proclaimed:

"Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face / Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"

The doctor, taken aback, moved on to the next patient, who immediately said,

"Some hae meat and canna eat / And some wad eat that want it."

The next patient cried out,

"Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie / O what a panic's in thy breastie!"

"Well," the English doctor muttered to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for last."

"Oh, no," said the Scottish doctor. "This is our serious Burns unit!"

burnsnasmythtk2.jpg

not

mrburnsjx9.jpg

Cameron Argetsinger passed away on Tuesday, perhaps the most important American in auto racing whom you've never heard of. As a young man he organized the first postwar road race in America, and later brought Formula One to these shores, in the process making his quiet little hometown of Watkins Glen, NY world-famous and indelibly associated with racing. First as a driver and then as a director with many of motorsports' top governing bodies, his passion for motorsports never waned. In recent years he could often be found working at his desk at his last great project - the International Motor Racing Research Center, a nonprofit library and archive dedicated to preserving the history of auto racing.

SuperStock_1236-143~Person-s-Hand-Waving-a-Checkered-Flag-Posters.jpg