To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

As of yesterday, natch:

First to mom. Thanks for life!

Second to Mr. Darcy O'Neil. Good seeing you again, and for making today awkward to explain the cane to my coworkers. ("Why are you on a cane?" "Uh, I tripped trying to jump a fence." "When and where?" "Uh, the Canadian Embassy, at like 1 AM Saturday night." "Were you drunk?" "YA THINK?!")

Third to the brothers Brown and Chantal, for the fun, and later, the help post-knee-sprain.

Damn, so many music legends leaving us. Etta James, Johnny Otis, Levon Helm, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Chuck Brown, Donna Summer, and now Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, whom I had the pleasure of hearing in recital about thirty years ago. I was never really a fan of Chuck Brown or Donna Summer, but nevertheless I raise a glass and salute them all.

I'll have another tonight in honor of I'll Have Another's brilliant stretch drive in the Preakness. Special performance by this beautiful horse beating an awfully good Bodemeister.

Amen. As close as these two are, the Belmont Stakes oughta be thrilling. It's been awhile since there's been a rivalry quite a good as this one,.

I'll have another tonight in honor of I'll Have Another's brilliant stretch drive in the Preakness. Special performance by this beautiful horse beating an awfully good Bodemeister.

Amen. As close as these two are, the Belmont Stakes oughta be thrilling. It's been awhile since there's been a rivalry quite a good as this one,.

It was an awesome finish, and reminded me of this comeback in this year's Florida state 4 x 400 relay championships. The guy from Bartram Trail high school was in 5th place on the final turn and about 30-40 yards back - you have to freeze the video at 3:12 (better still, 2:42, at which point you'd bet your entire life's savings against anyone overtaking the leader) to see how far behind he was.

It was an awesome finish, and reminded me of this comeback in this year's Florida state 4 x 400 relay championships.

To Chelsea's improbable Champions League victory over Bayern Munchen after so many years of frustration.

Damn, so many music legends leaving us. Etta James, Johnny Otis, Levon Helm, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Chuck Brown, Donna Summer, and now Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, whom I had the pleasure of hearing in recital about thirty years ago. I was never really a fan of Chuck Brown or Donna Summer, but nevertheless I raise a glass and salute them all.

I'm surprised no one has had the time to raise a glass to Robin Gibb yet, so let me be the first. Maybe it is just getting too depressing to have all these music legends leaving us around the same time. :( Whatever happened to the rule of three? I thougth for sure we were done for May.

When we moved in 2006, we specifically timed it so we could legally vote in the September DC primary and the November MD general election--both elections mattered a great deal to us at the time. Since then it has been really lovely to be an observer of DC politics rather than a participant. Because really, I think I'd have an ulcer if I still lived in DC.

The worst part is that I gather that the city is doing really well when if you can get past the mayor and many city council members being idiots.

The city is fantastic, and doing very well. The best that can be said about the One City crew ( 2/3 of which are now out of office, with one more to follow, one hopes) is that they have managed to confine their incompetence to personal endeavors (theft and fraud, mostly). Personally, I'm drinking to Ron Machen. Also a drink to Tony Williams and Adrian Fenty, who got the ball rolling fast enough that even a cadre of complete morons can't stop it.

To Mr. lperry who is pedaling his way through the final twenty-five miles of the C&O canal, all the way from Cumberland. Little does he know I'm about to hop on my bike to meet him with a frosty Mountain Dew that will help get him the rest of the way home.

To Mr. lperry who is pedaling his way through the final twenty-five miles of the C&O canal, all the way from Cumberland. Little does he know I'm about to hop on my bike to meet him with a frosty Mountain Dew that will help get him the rest of the way home.

Kudos!

One of my favorite bike trips ever, even though I did it in a downpour, and took 2 days rather than the recommended 3 to complete the 185 miles.

One of my favorite bike trips ever, even though I did it in a downpour, and took 2 days rather than the recommended 3 to complete the 185 miles.

One of several glasses of water was raised to you at dinner, mostly because "he crazy." The guys did it in three, but they had a 12 mile detour to deal with, then they both rode home from the end of the canal. There will be much sleeping now. :)

It hasn't totally sunk in yet that Nora Ephron has died, one of the beloved sorority of food-loving, smart, funny Jewish women in this world. I would have loved to be at the table when she and Ina Garten had lunch together (in the Dec. 2010 issue of Town and Country). I think that it would be most appropriate, in addition to lifting a glass of wine in her memory, to bake a pie tonight.

To the firefighters, doing some of the bravest, hardest, most thankless, most important work I can imagine

We are doing our best to thank them! I am raising my glass (of water, of course) to them on behalf of my in-laws, who were allowed back into their house last night after over five days of mandatory evacuation. 350 houses lost but only two lives ... the team of firefighters, military, police, and federal agents currently working to keep my city from burning down has done yeoman's service and beyond!

Our Nationals going to the All Star game! Ian Desmond, Stephen Strasburg, and Gio Gonzalez. (and maybe Bryce Harper if he gets voted in as the last selection).

Andy, Barney, and the Fun Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGwQ3hqOh18&feature=relmfu

I watched this show when it began in 1960 and watched it for years in my comfortable white middle class community in New Jersey. It never occurred to me that Mayberry, a southern town, had no African-Americans. (at least not on camera). Shame on me.

Andy Griffith...my dad was a total ringer for Andy Griffith, everyone told me this growing up (he wasn't a sheriff, but at one point he was a driver's license examiner), this brings back memories of my dad for me, he predeceased Andy by a few years, RIP guys...I wish he was still here, to hang w/ me & the kids....

& my SIL, Rachel, who's bday is today, wouldn't it be great to get fireworks for your bday every year? Happy Birthday, Rachel! (I have the BEST extended family in the world, we are definitely sisters of another mother), & my kids have a wonderful, loving circle of grandparents, aunts, uncles, & cousins, what a great way to start things off...

I watched this [Andy Griffith] show when it began in 1960 and watched it for years in my comfortable white middle class community in New Jersey. It never occurred to me that Mayberry, a southern town, had no African-Americans. (at least not on camera). Shame on me.

The internet is a really amazing thing. Found a document here that is a 1960 report on the demographics and trends of Mt. Airy NC (the real-life Mayberry, where Andy Griffith grew up). The African-American population was quite small - less than 5 percent if I am reading correctly - and mostly quite poor. So the show may have been substantially accurate in terms of its representation of who was milling around "downtown" in this small town in this part of NC. (I am not an expert on Mt. Airy in the 1950s and 60s, though I did spend many wonderful weeks there in the 1980s and 90s at the fiddlers' convention.)

I watched this [Andy Griffith] show when it began in 1960 and watched it for years in my comfortable white middle class community in New Jersey. It never occurred to me that Mayberry, a southern town, had no African-Americans. (at least not on camera). Shame on me.

The internet is a really amazing thing. Found a document here that is a 1960 report on the demographics and trends of Mt. Airy NC (the real-life Mayberry, where Andy Griffith grew up. The African-American population was quite small - less than 5 percent if I am reading correctly - and mostly quite poor. So the show may have been substantially accurate in terms of its representation of who was milling around "downtown" in this small town in this part of NC. (I am not an expert on Mt. Airy in the 1950s and 60s, though I did spend many wonderful weeks there in the 1980s and 90s at the fiddlers' convention.)