Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

If you have low expectations on the fruit and veggie front for the next 6-8 weeks you will not be disappointed.

Stick to your dairy, meat and carbs with a few greens thrown in and you can't go wrong.

I picked up some mozzarella at Dupont last week that was divine.

I heard a rumor that a couple of the farmers at FreshFarm Market at Dupont expect to have asparagus at this Sunday's market (4/24). It's a producer-only market, as you probably know, so everything they sell is local. (Unlike Eastern Market.)

(Operative words here are 'expect to' -- obviously they can't predict exact timing on these things. If they turn out not to have asparagus this week, blame me, not the farmers, for getting your hopes up.  :lol:

I will be checking things out and stocking up on some wonderful steaks from Sunnyside! Mmmm, steaks and asparagus (hopefully)!

I heard a rumor that a couple of the farmers at FreshFarm Market at Dupont expect to have asparagus at this Sunday's market (4/24). It's a producer-only market, as you probably know, so everything they sell is local. (Unlike Eastern Market.)

The rumors were true. There were a few stands with asparagus, beautiful, thick stalks. I found garlic stalks (looks like thick green onions but taste like garlic), real mesculin and a few herbs. I'd say 60-70% of the stands are back.

There is a pot of short ribs braising in tomatoes, rosemary and garlic on my stove and yogurt draining (for yogurt cheese) in my sink as I type. Except for the tomatoes (which are canned of course) everything is from market. One piece of advice, if you want a flat iron from Sunnyside you have to get there early.

I got asparagus, mache (last week for mache), mesclun, radishes, eggs, italian sausages, bread, peach blossom honey, garlic stalks, assorted mushrooms, and bread. Not a bad haul but the good stuff is definitely yet to come.

hillvalley, what time were you there? I got there right at 9.

Looks like we all hit the market at different times. I got some flat iron steaks, mesculin, radishes, and some asparagus as well. Those short ribs from Sunnyside look wonderfully meaty, report back on the results.

harumph. By the time I arrived at the decent and respectable hour of 12:45 P.M., some greedy folk had snatched up all the good Sunnyside proteins.

fortunately, "Stew Meat," if cut from organic kobe beef, still makes a hell of a boeuf bourguignonne.

What a wonderful morning to be at the DuPont market!

Flat iron steaks from Sunnyside -- Yes I am addicted to these.

Asparagus (best price at the market), turnips, radishes and beets from Sunnyside.

Milk

Yogurt

Marscapone

Rhubarb

The first strawberries of the season.

I hit Arlington late today - I did get the last bag of Nettles, some salad greens, spring garlic and spring onions, some mushrooms and nice looking asparagus. Alas, no stawberries or fresh ricotta.

Everyone at every stand told us, "You need to get here early to get everything." Not being a morning person, especially on the weekends, I wanted to tell them, "This is early, Mother Fucker."

But civility got the better of me and I just smiled and nodded my head.

The sign said last week for ramps at the DuPont Farmer's market. Hope all of you that wanted some got 'em.

I got some pea shoots today so I can see what all the fuss is about.

I went to Dupont todayaround 12:30. Forgive my unfamiliarity, but up near the metro entrance was a dude selling 1/4 pound servings of a soft whole milk cheese with herbs on top. It was nothing special-- just some ricotta-like stuff with the herbs. On the other hand, it was just some ricotta-like stuff with the herbs. Delicious. :lol:

I noticed that the herbs, strawberries and aspargus seems more expensive at Dupont than at Arlington.  The strawberries were definitely a better value at Arlington at the herbs ran about $0.50-$1.00 more at Dupont (not to mention there is a wider variety at Arlington).

I think I remember hearing that it is more expensive to get a vendor spot at DuPont. It might be why the prices are slightly higher.

Strawberries, strawberries and more strawberries at Dupont today. If I had unlimited money I would have bought some from anyone and gone nuts doing a taste comparison latter.

Best buy of the day--

Cherries at Sunnyside (Burp....) Yum. Not the best I've ever had but I was starting to twitch with cherry lust.

Jennifer

Jennifer, did anyone at Dupont have sour cherries yet? I want to put up some sour cherry preserves this year.

Marie at Reid's said they won't have the sour cherries until July.

The Sunnyside guy said cherry's are going to be in short supply this year.

Sigh...

They were $7.99 a pound at Whole Foods this morning.

It would be cheaper to be addicted to crack.

Jennifer

I've heard the same thing about the cherries. We're still a couple of weeks away for the good, ripe fruit. In the mean time sugar snap peas are as good as any fruit I saw today.

I picked up a crab cake to have for breakfast (topped with an egg, basil and parsley.) It was good, worth the $5 but a bit too salty for my taste.

Sunnyside didn't have any flat irons again this week so I picked up a couple of sirloin tips instead. :lol:

This morning at Dupont: asparagus, hot house tomatoes, purple broccoli, beets, eggs, 2 loaves of Atwater bread, 3 Thai basil plants, blueberries, alpine strawberries, and Montmorency cherries.

Toigo says they will have sour cherries in 2 weeks. :lol:

This morning at Dupont:  asparagus, hot house tomatoes, purple broccoli, beets, eggs, 2 loaves of Atwater bread, 3 Thai basil plants, blueberries, alpine strawberries, and Montmorency cherries. 

Toigo says they will have sour cherries in 2 weeks.  :lol:

Sunnyside Organics was MIA last week and this week had no flatiron steaks. I'll have to make do with hamburger. Sigh. Field grown cukes and sugar snaps at New Morning. Heinz had favas. I brought along my food-loving British next door neighbor, who had never been to the market, and she was ecstatic. It's fun to turn people on to this weekly treasure-hunt.

Sunnyside hasn't had flat irons in weeks :lol: I asked about them a couple of weeks ago but couldn't get an answer as to why other than they didn't have any to sell.

I talked with Jim, the owner of New Morning, yesterday and he said that with the exception of the past week they have had great weather up there and are expecting a really good crop this year.

Dupont--Cherries from Toigo and Reids; Strawberries from same; Chevre from Firefly Farms; Cilantro from ??? (I never know the names of the places where I don't write checks...they had fava beans but I didn't buy any...) and baby zuchinis and red cauliflower from Sunnyside.

I was pleased.

Blueberries next week at Reids and peaches in two weeks.

When's the corn????

Jennifer

This morning at Dupont: apricots, a lovely blue goat cheese from Firefly Farms, raisin walnut bread to go with said goat cheese, squash, cucumbers, Wheatland Farm tomatoes, and more sungold cherry tomatoes to replace the entire pint that the children ate yesterday.

Today at Dupont:

Wheatland tomatoes (finally!)

corn nectarines and peaches from Toigo

struan bread from Atwater

beets and Sungold tomatoes from New Morning

The peaches will be halved, grilled, and filled with a small scoop of apricot/ginger goat cheese from Fire Fly farms. Mmm.

A second finally on tomatoes from Wheatlands! (Also cilantro and basil...)

Nectarines, plums and cherries from Reid's.

Smoked mozzerela and regular mozzerela at Blue Ridge Dairy.

Watermelon from the stand across from Wheatland.

Corn from Toigo and the West Virginia Stand on the the side by Q Street.

Rosemary Italian Bread from Atwaters.

:P

I'm a happy woman.

Breakfast was bacon, tomato, smoked mozzerela and basil on the rosemary italian bread.

Plus a little snack of the plums that didn't travel well...

Lunch was tomatoes and basil with the regular mozzerela.

I just had the most amazing nectarine.

I love last July and August.

Now I'm worried I didn't buy enough to get through the week!

Jennifer

The Dupont Market is finally begining to wake up. Most of the offerings are still wintery greens and apples but if you look carefully you'll find signs that spring is coming. I picked up a container of candy sweet grape tomatoes grown in a greenhouse. I also bought spring garlic (think garlic flavored green onions), leeks, baby lettuce and basil that will grow in a jar of water on my counter. At least that is what they told me.

A lovely, uncrazed morning at the Dupont Market this morning, presumably because it is Easter Sunday. A few vendors were missing or had sent substitutes. I chatted briefly with Waitman and Mrs. B who were lined up to buy flowers. On my first cruise-through, before the bell, I noticed that Hans had a few baskets of strawberries out, but they were gone by the time I made it back there. I did buy some green garlic and Italian dandelion greens from him. The mushroom lady wasn't there, but the non-organic folks from W.VA whose stand is near Q St. had morels for sale. I pondered for a while but ended up not buying. $14 for a small basket of 5 or 6 morels just seemed too expensive. They also had asparagus. I bought a dozen Aracuna eggs (blue shells) from Country Pleasures--they said that they are expecting that sometime in the summer, the state of MD will require that all chickens be raised indoors, and that when that happens, they will no longer have eggs for sale, because they don't want to own chickens which can't be outdoors.

Post-market brunch, in the yard, enjoying the azaleas and the birds:

Slow scrambled eggs with sauteed garlic greens, ricotta and grated reggiano

Breakfast sausage

French breakfast radishes

Toasted brioche and apricot preserves

OJ

Cappucino

Life is good here, until the first mosquitoes hatch. :)

The uncrazed morning at Dupont was only because you were there early. By 10:30 market was in full gear. By the time I got there there was only one bunch of asparagus left but it was gone by the time I did my first walk through. I found a number of different items they don't usually have or didn't know was there.

The milk guy had ramp flavored cheese, the consistency of spreadable cream cheese but with more of a goat cheese flavor to it. Unfortunately I didn't see ramps anywhere else.

I also found a new source for organic meat! Country Pleasures (where Zora and Heather get their eggs and I get my blueberry scones) sells ground beef and sirloin, t-bones and a couple of other cuts. They have a tiny display which is easily overlooked because they keep most of the meat in a cooler. Apparently they have always sold it but the Sunny Side people took most of the business. At least I have a new source. I had a nice chat with Lori, one of the owners, who told me they were the first (or one of the first) farms in Maryland to sell organic, grass fed meat locally. I also picked up a container of organic shallots and a box of chocolate covered blueberries they were selling for Easter.

Today, Sunday, at the FRESHFARM Market at Dupont Circle:

Large head of frisee: $1

Suncrisp apples--not as crisp as fresh-picked, but still better than supermarket's apples

Purple-edged butterleaf lettuce prettier than lilacs

The scent of lilacs so strong, bearded man with silk scarf wrapped around his neck moaned

First time I noticed Bonapart. Mon d---u. Wedges of flan tarts with apricots in between pastry and custard. Pain au chocolat.

Slender French radishes to slice and pile on heavily buttered French bread, three stalls down

At least four stands selling small bunches of asparagus for $4 a pop. One young woman exclaimed, "Asparagus with pancetta!" I picked one up.

Tarragon, rosemary, chives, garlic chives and dill

Ramps

Strawberries, though they looked rather pale, at least two farms were selling them.

Beautiful bunches of small red beets with perfect greens. I bought mine at the same time as one woman who asked the kid behind the counter to twist off the tops. My jaw dropped.

"What do you do with them?" she asked.

I gave one example. Upon comparing them to spinach, her nose wrinkled up. "Next time," she said trying to be polite. I now have three bunches of beet greens. Gratin?

CARDOONS

I spoke to Heinz who is going to bring six stalks next week for me. If you're reading this before heading out and would like some yourself, drop by Next Step Produce and ask for some too--but you gotta promise to return and buy them. (Email address can be found on the farm's Web site.)

THIS SUNDAY AT DUPONT CIRCLE:

• Morels (from WV farmers Creekside and Sunnyside Farm & Orchard),

• Strawberries (Next Step Produce, Sunnyside Organic and D&S Farm),

• Ramps (Eli's got them at Dupont!)

• Asparagus,

• Green garlic

• Softshells from Buster's Seafood (also last of the oysters this Sunday).

Featured recipe this week is 'Shrimp with Spring Garlic Salsa Verde and Asparagus' by Terrence Feury (of Fahrenheit at Ritz-Carlton) who will demo at 11 am.

May 21: SAVE THIS DATE

Michael Pollan will be at the Dupont market to discuss & sign his newest book, The Omnivore's Dilemma.

( I realize link defeats the purpose, but is here for further information.)

If you are traveling to St. Michaels this Saturday, stop by the market and sample Firefly cheeses and Bonaparte breads; get in line for Pot Pie eggs and Kreider's tomatoes; don't forget Butter Pot's organic veggies, Eve's cheeses and maybe Sand Hill strawberries.

Silver Spring, MD: Open Sat., May 6, 9am-1pm, Ellsworth Drive

Opening Day chef: Janis McLean of redDog Cafe, demo at 11 am.

H Street, NE: Open Sat., May 6, 9am-12noon, 624 H St, NE?

Opening Day chef: Stephane Lezla of Montmartre, demo at 10 am.

N.B. Text lifted from FRESHFARM newsletter, abridged, modified & appended.

Terence Feury's shrimp with thick stalks of asparagus and salsa verde was delicious.

He used prawns from Guatemala for the demo, if regular shrimp to hand out to the crowds.

The salsa verde was made with arugula as well as parsley, a leek, fresh oregano, a chili pepper, spring garlic, capers, anchovies, lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. Truly wonderful.

Ramps will be around for at least another week if not two.

The strawberries ARE good.

Blue eggs should be back ($2.50 for six).

Heinz forgot the cardoons, but promised them next week & asked me to send an email to remind him. So if you think you'd like a few, look for the link for Next Step Produce above to send word, too.

Terence Feury's shrimp with thick stalks of asparagus and salsa verde was delicious. 

Y'know, I thought the shrimp was great with the salsa verde, and the shrimp was great with the asparagus, but it didn't all meld together for me as a dish. That said, it is a killer sauce and would be great on shrimp, chicken, lamb, anything.

The Firefly chevre is delicious. Also picked up some lilacs but they sagged almost immediately and are not looking so hot today.

I didn't see most of the usual early birds at Dupont this morning between 9 and 10, but I did encounter Giant Shrimp as he was buying a large bunch of cardoons from Heinz at Next Step. I'll be intetrested to know how they taste, since I have requested some for next week.

I bought a couple of pounds of slender young rhubarb from New Morning--their first week at the market this year. Their story is included in a new book, Organic, Inc.:Natural Foods and how they grew by Samuel Fromartz, who met them at the market a few years ago. Sam will apparently be at the market later this month doing a book signing. I heard him interviewed on NPR, and the book sounds quite interesting.

Organic, Inc.

This might have been the last week for ramps; one of the folks at Eli's wasn't sure.

I was thrilled to pieces to pick up my cardoons. Giant Shrimp, what are you going to do with yours?

I showed them off to Jamie Stachowski of Kolumbia and a friend of his. JS said that what he'd do is candy them, apparently a French method called "angelique." Anyone? His friend mentioned frying them coated with breadcrumbs. In Central Italy, cardoons are boiled and served with beef marrow.

Fava beans should be available at Heinz's stand in a few weeks.

This week:

Asparagus--thick stalks, perfect closed tips

Dark red oakleaf lettuce

Flowering chives

Leeks

Strawberries (really good!)

Rhubard--thin, thin, bright red (mostly)

Heinz Thomet now knows the name of this web site and really is grateful to members coming in search of cardoons* and the like. He said his fava beans are coming up and should be here in late May.

New Morning sold the last of its rhubarb this week. (The old patch got flooded and they lost most of the plants.)

Adam did not have buttermilk, but will bring it to Dupont Circle this upcoming Sunday.

Thanks for the alert; I've been asking for buttermilk for a while.

*The quality turned out to be so-so. Fibrous, pulpy and a bit hollow. I firmed my bunch up by leaving them standing in water in the fridge overnight. After removing all the ribs and about a third of the weight of the stalks, I tasted one raw and found it was sweet if virtually tasteless, so the ribs really were the source of the bitterness. After boiling in large quantity of salted water for eight minutes, the cardoons tasted EXACTLY like artichokes :) if more delicate. I regret not removing them then when there still was a little bite to them. Would have been good simply dressed in lemon & olive oil, S & P. Unfortunately, after twelve minutes, much of the flavor vanished. I made the sformati from Molto Italiano in which the red onion overpowered the cardoons. Vidalia would have been a better choice. Still exciting to have my first cardoons, grown on the east coast no less.

REMINDER: MICHAEL POLLAN WILL BE SPEAKING ABOUT OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA next Sunday, May 21 at 11 at Dupont Circle.

Hmm. Didn't see any eels yesterday at Dupont--I may have missed them. I have seen them swimming around at a couple of the Asian markets in Fairfax County, though.

Overheard yesterday at the Polyface booth: Jose Andres, there with his three cute little kids, discussing with Bev a large order (presumably of pork) that he wanted delivered to the Bethesda Jaleo. Then he asked if he could get some "three week-old suckling pigs". Bev looked at him a bit incredulously: "Three weeks? They're only going to be about five pounds apiece." Andres replied that they would have them every year in Spain. Bev then agreed to provide same: "Yeah, we can do that." Hmm. Wonder if that's for private use, or will be on the menu?

Got some cardoons from Heinz. Haven't decided when or how I'll prepare them, though.

Just wish to add that at this Sunday's market at Dupont Circle, a cooking demonstration will accompany Michael Pollan's appearance at 11 am.

It would be a good time to check out the beef short ribs of Eco-Friendly Foods.

They will be prepared by Chef Brian McBride of the Park Hyatt.

At the demonstration, Olsson's Books and Music will offer the author's book, Ominivore's Dilemma at the reduced price of $25.

Tis a veritable surfeit of authors and books at Dupont Circle this month!

Samuel Fromartz, the author of Organic, Inc. will be there this upcoming Sunday to impart knowledge and wisdom. His book concerns the transformation of ideals into enterprises and explores the relationship between organic farming and business.

New Morning is one of the farms participating in the FRESHFARM market that appears on the pages of this book.

In conjunction with the author's book-signing, Chef Barton Seaver of Cafe-Ex will be cooking. Sandhya Rao of Slow Food will be there as well.

All these events begin at 11 am on Sunday, May 28.

Olsson's will sell copies of the book on site.

There was quite a crowd* in attendance at last week's events and Olsson's may have sold all of its copies since shoppers were grateful to have the opportunity to hear the author talk and get their volumes signed. I don't think this particular book has been the subject of as much advance notice and critical praise, but its content overlaps with the concerns of Michael Pollan and should be of interest to those of us who like to prattle on about Whole Foods and the things we buy at various local markets.

*Interesting demographic, though. Normally when I help pass around food at chef demos, hoards lunge towards the little cups of pretty greens. The absolutely delicious slow braise of short ribs with bits of tender carrot and red pepper fleks received many "No, thank yous" from those who were apparently not omnivores.

At Dupont Circle this morning, Heinz Thomet had his first batch of fava beans for sale.

I confess I have had my share for the growing season.

While Eli's did have small summer squash and a few tiny zucchini last week, this time there were more at various stands.

Plenty of beets, too, and strawberries everywhere.

New Morning had some beautiful, small pale green snap peas.

The Greens Lady (with galvanized buckets, what's the farm's name?) has a wealth of herbs now: lemon thyme, spearmint, tarragon, chives, parsley, basil, oregano...

Asparagus should be around for a few more weeks.

From the Dupont Circle Farmers Market : escarole, kohlrabi, peas, Italian Dandelion. Aren't dandelions

those things that grown in abundance along the roadside? Got the kohlrabi because of momentary imagining

that I could duplicate the kohlrabi slaw I had at Circle Bistro, but ... what are the other ingredients? hmmmm

So far I have a lot of green things and a spelling lesson ...

Tempted by the fava beans, but they looked like a lot of work.

Strawberries now, some cherries, but still early for them.

The people with the morels and other mushrooms ... I had to zip past, or $20 gone. I imagined

bringing my trug, buying some mushrooms to put in it, and going home to exclaim to my ux:

"Morels growing down the hill from Adams Mill Road!" What a sad fantasy.

We who arrive late (elevenish) on Sunday always imagine that the rise-and-shine early people

got the good stuff.

From the Dupont Circle Farmers Market : escarole, kohlrabi, peas, Italian Dandelion. Aren't dandelions

those things that grown in abundance along the roadside?

The people with the morels and other mushrooms ... I had to zip past, or $20 gone.

You know, I don't ever recall seeing those Italian dandelion greens in Italy. Does anyone know their name? The ones Heinz had today were puny, they grow a bit more expansive later and are quite assertively bitter, requiring blanching before sauteeing if you prefer a silky (vs. tough) texture.

New Morning's snap peas were great...but Mrs. B, besides tee-hee, I haven't seen pea shoots at the market for two weeks.

Someone else had some intriguing looking zucchini called Italian Largo, but after the Chef Demo, there were only two sad looking suckers left. Will try searching for them next week since they have alternating pronounced dark green stripes with recessed pale green stripes. When cut, each slice looks like a star- or flower-shaped cookie.

Eli's had PURPLE cauliflower that looked very pretty.

Todd Gray prepared an amazing salad with "wild" mushrooms, alas not morels, but I posted the recipe in the Restaurant section under Equinox.

Adam promised to bring buttermilk for me next Sunday. It is not something he automatically carries, but now he responds to special requests on a regular basis.

FYI dried morels are $199.99 a pound at Whole Foods. Makes you feel a leetle better about the temptation at the market.

Yesterday there was a guy at Falls Church selling crabcakes, $9 for jump lump and $5 for lump. He was frying up and offering samples that were pretty good. He also had a number of magazine articles laid out in front of him that referenced his operation, but of course I can' remember his name now.
That must have been Chris' Marketplace - he was at Dupont this morning, with a recent Saveur article on the table. I knew the name was familiar as I walked up - I just read that article this week. I picked up some gazpacho from his stand, where they were also offering seafood refresco soup, and rapini (IIRC) empanadas.

I also got the elusive cherries :unsure: from Toigo and some sour cherries from Wheatland (?) Farms. Chef Burrell's demonstration of Pickled Shrimp with artichoke hearts, arugula, and blueberries was very tasty. Bonaparte Bakery's chausson aux pommes - not so much - but it probably deserved to be warmed up. I found it interesting that Smith Meadows Farm takes a dramatically different approach at the two locations. The emphasis today was on the pastas, with a completely different photo display from what we see in Del Ray, where it's mostly about the meat, which is also the focus of the photos they show there.

Also got some beautiful mesclun and baby spinach to use for a salad I'm taking to a barbecue - thinking about some sort of strawberry/tarragon vinaigrette dressing....

It was a (more than) slightly sweaty 20-mile roundtrip by bike to Dupont, but I'm glad I finally got there and plan to do it again soon! I love the little Del Ray Market, but the selection at Dupont is fantastic.

JULY 2: 10th Anniversary of the FRESHFARM Market at Dupont Circle

A special bell ringing will open the market on a day when you'll find the ten founding farmers decked in blue ribbons, and if you've lucky, Thomas Jefferson will share a copy of his shopping list with you as he did with shoppers at the inaugural event in 1997.

Biodegradable paper will stretch around the fences so you may record fond memories. There will be a chef demo by Arpad Lengyel of Teaism whose business also celebrates its 10th anniversary this year.

And yes, there will be cake.

Meanwhile:

Saturday, 9am-12noon, 624 H St, NE

June 24: Chef demo at 11 AM by Jamie Stachowski of Restaurant Kolumbia

New(ish) at market (depending on location, Wed-Sun): Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, zucchini, lavender, chard, leeks, Spanish onions, Walla onions, garlic, field cucumbers, baby artichokes, fennel and ice cream, sorbet, etc. English peas at H St.

A couple of weeks ago at the Dupont Farmer's Market, an Indian couple had set up a makeshift food cart, out of which they were selling-- I think-- samosas and some kind of roll.

Has anyone gone in the past few weeks to confirm that they've been coming back? And, for those on the board who go to other farmers' markets, do you recall any other rebels setting up their own carts and selling hot food,or street fare that you wouldn't normally find at the markets? I'd love it if it were a trend, but I'm thinking the couple was an anomaly.

A couple of weeks ago at the Dupont Farmer's Market, an Indian couple had set up a makeshift food cart, out of which they were selling-- I think-- samosas and some kind of roll.

Has anyone gone in the past few weeks to confirm that they've been coming back? And, for those on the board who go to other farmers' markets, do you recall any other rebels setting up their own carts and selling hot food,or street fare that you wouldn't normally find at the markets? I'd love it if it were a trend, but I'm thinking the couple was an anomaly.

They've been there each weekend in the past month or so, including this past Sunday.

Lydia, Mount PLeasant is on Saturdays from 9-1. Lamont Plaza on Mount Pleasant Streets between Lamont and Park.
Hmm, looks like Heather found good stuff there yesterday -- what are your favorite stands?

I finally made it to Dupont Market today - many thanks to both Mr. Barbara & Zora for stopping and pointing out the highlights. After inhaling a palmier from Bonapart, I left with two soft goat cheeses from Firefly, sweet peaches from WestVA, and a resilient-looking lavender plant. The greenbeans, cherries and zucchini were tempting...