Golden beets

Garlic scapes

Small head of tender lettuce

Bright golden and green zucchini

Globular zucchini since I just love the shape

Jade green beans--my favorite that doesn't cost $18 a pound

Blueberries

Queen Anne cherries (one of three vendors w white variety--thanks for tip!)*

Plus little bitty brand new potatoes that I must have left at the register ;) so,so sad since they're so much better than store-bought and I was in the mood for a really good pre-tomato season Salade Nicoise w a special jar of belly tuna. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this.

So many cherries today! Everybody's looked realy, really good. Sour cherries, too. Country Pleasures is said to have a particular varietal that is half way between sweet and sour and comes highly recommended.

Heinz reports the cardoons he's selling were indeed grown from the seeds a friend gave me on her return from Umbria. He apparently does not appreciate the Italian type (though Americans all say the Italian is better) but because it is so spiny and prickly. Annoying to pick. His wife won't cook it since it's too much of a pain. He noticed that on the far side of Dupont Circle (i.e. south) where flowers grow there is a cardoon plant in bloom.

Tania Hayek Mercer made a wonderful vinaigrette to dress a salad of fresh spinach and sliced strawberries:

1/2 c sesame seeds, toasted in dry skillet over low heat once rest of ingredients mixed and emulsified

2 T honey

2 T sherry vinegar

2 T EVOO [i'm pretty sure she was more traditional on proportions in demo, i.e. 3 parts to 1 of vinegar]

1 T shallot, minced [really good if you soak in the vinegar for 15 minutes before assembling]

1 t paprika

1/4 t salt

1/8 t pepper

N.B. She also may have used fewer sesame seeds than specified here. At any rate, the seeds should sizzle tossed directly from pan into dressing.

*$7 for a little more than a pound and a half (quart) vs. $10 a pound at WFM yesterday.

The peaches are excellent right now. I bought a crate of seconds from Toigo and have spent the afternoon pitting and peeling. Peach jam, spiced peach preserves, and peach-habanero chutney are cooling on the counter. I also made the peach buttermilk pudding cake from the latest issue of Bon Appetit.

Tree & Leaf had lots and lots of tomatoes but relatively few varieties. I hope they aren't cutting back on the different kinds they offer. My kids must have eaten $15 worth at dinner tonight. :P

Dupont had lots of kid activities set up this morning - a bonus for me as I am on solo kid duty until Wednesday and have been looking for ways to keep mine busy. We got to make veggie bugs, go on a scavenger hunt for different market offerings, decorate a paper chef hat, and take home a couple of tomato plants. Thanks to all the volunteers who coordinated everything. (and a heartily sarcastic "thanks a lot" to the worker at one of the stands who felt the need to expound on why white peaches are awful to the kids, after I had already bought at least a dozen. Ian, who would previously scarf peaches in any form, has decided they are "not yummy." ;) )

First visit to Dupont market since early April. Was unable to complete a complete, intelligent sentence; stopped mid-word to ooh and aah and ponder; Eric was too through with me. In awe of the selection and variety: small, one bite plums; deviled crab cakes; two-colored squash – how’d they do that?; squash blossoms; and a whole range of eggplant.

I bought eggplant that looked like tomatillos. I believe it was this variety, yet mine were green. Is this, in fact, Turkish eggplant? I was told that they are denser than purple eggplant and the best way to prepare them is to flour and fry them in hot oil. Any other suggestions?

Tree & Leaf had lots and lots of tomatoes but relatively few varieties. I hope they aren't cutting back on the different kinds they offer...

I suspect that this was just due to the strange weather we've had this growing season. I went to the market at Sheridan School on Saturday and New Morning was selling one of its Co-op member's Heirlooms for $4.00 a lb. which is quite high. I wondered if it wasn't simply because they were ripe earlier than most crops. (I bought seconds for hardly any money at all, on the other hand, and stewed them with other vegetables.)

The next day at Dupont Circle, New Morning was selling very few of its own tomatoes, and Spring Valley, Toigo's only rival in terms of volume, no field tomatoes as far as I recall.

Dupont had lots of kid activities set up this morning - a bonus for me as I am on solo kid duty until Wednesday and have been looking for ways to keep mine busy...
Thanks to Green Kids Day, I finally got to see Ian's famous butt dance. Both of the shorter Shorters made absolutely adorable creatures with their eggplants, carrots & other sundry produce.

Always check out the Mushroom Stand. This weekend chanterelles went for bargain prices so I finally got to test how well they complement fresh corn.

the farmer's market is an unsettling reminder of how fast food prices have been going up.

the heirloom tomatoes seem like they are finally starting to come in, but i paid $4 a pound at the dupont market, up from around $3 last year and $2.50 the season before that. prices were a bit lower at some of the stands and i am hoping to see some break in the prices when the tomatoes become more abundant. i am also hoping for more flavor; tomatoes from a week earlier looked better than they tasted. still, the more expensive canadian hothouse heirlooms sold at whole foods are no competition.

i suppose you could say the same about the strawberries earlier and the peaches now coming in. i haven't been able to get to the market as often as i would like lately, but the cherries have been the standout fruit so far this summer, and now they are gone.

the farmer's market is an unsettling reminder of how fast food prices have been going up.

the heirloom tomatoes seem like they are finally starting to come in, but i paid $4 a pound at the dupont market, up from around $3 last year and $2.50 the season before that. prices were a bit lower at some of the stands and i am hoping to see some break in the prices when the tomatoes become more abundant. i am also hoping for more flavor; tomatoes from a week earlier looked better than they tasted. still, the more expensive canadian hothouse heirlooms sold at whole foods are no competition.

i suppose you could say the same about the strawberries earlier and the peaches now coming in. i haven't been able to get to the market as often as i would like lately, but the cherries have been the standout fruit so far this summer, and now they are gone.

This reminds me of a funny (not haha funny, but I've been there funny) moment I witnessed a couple of weeks ago at Dupont. I was walking past Tiogo on my "give it once around to peruse the produce and prices before I buy" walk through, when I spotted a woman turn to her husband, plastic bag held up for him to see, saying "I just spent $5!". :angry: was the look on her face.

I want to share that I bought tasty, beautiful heirloom tomatoes for $2/lb., a quart of (7) peaches for $4, and sour cherries for as little as $3/qt. at Kingstowne Market. I paid $.50 per ear of corn, but this particular stall offered what looked to be the freshest and plumpest. It's wonderfull on the cob and in chowder.

Additionally, I bought danish at Cenan's bakery, from Vienna, Va. The were very flaky and buttery. The ciabotta was..........not good. I called The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek Farm to inquire why they were not at the market for the past 2 weeks. They are apparently slammed with catering orders and are trying to staff the market. I told them I needed a pulgiese loaf fix B) , so hopefully we'll see them back.

Solitude Farm (these are the women that sell yarn) was at the Dupont market this Sunday with their garlic. Picked up a couple of varieties. A huge difference over supermarket garlic. They usually only have the garlic available for a few weeks, so check it out.

Here's the take from Dupont yesterday. Not seen is Eco-Friendly spicy pork breakfast sausage. I bought it in links and bulk. The bulk has extra pepper. The first time I bought the bulk sausage was shortly after dining at A La Lucia in Alexandria. I had the rigatoni with meat sauce. I thought right away that Eco Friendly's pork sausage would be great in a meat sauce, and it is. I now use the spicy "breakfast" sausage in meat sauce.

gallery_24065_1826_31325.jpg

The corn (in husks) is from Toigo Orchards. The sign said "Miri" corn, but I think it is mirai corn. Can anyone verify? I need to do some fact checking.

Thanks.

This morning, the new folks at Quaker Valley Farm, who replaced the Reid Orchard stand, had fresh banana leaves for sale for $2 apiece. I was told that they "dig up the banana tree in the Fall"--presumably it goes into a green house for the winter. But the leaves ranged in size from medium to huge, so presumably this is a substantial plant. Frozen banana leaves are always available at Latin markets, and I occasionally run across fresh ones at Asian markets or Magruder's in the 'burbs. But fresh, local was too good to pass up. I couldn't find any nice goat shoulder to make barbacoa de cabrito at Cibola, so unless I get myself to a halal butcher in Falls Church in the next couple of days, I'll make cochinita pibil with some pork I've got in my freezer. For both dishes, the meat is marinated (albeit with very different marinades), then wrapped in banana leaf and steamed, either in a charcoal kettle barbq or in the oven. The original use of banana leaf (or corn husk wrappers) was as pre-industrial aluminum foil, to make a waterproof packet for the meat. It is possible to use aluminum foil to wrap the same dishes, but the banana leaf (or corn husk) imparts distinctive flavor. Generally, what I do, since banana leaves can be balky and difficult to use, is to lay out a big sheet of aluminum foil, lay the banana leaf on the aluminum foil, then lay the marinated meat on the banana leaf, fold the banana leaf around the meat and then seal up the package in foil. I get the flavor of the leaf without worrying that the package will leak and lose moisture.

The W.VA Sunnyside Farm isn't growing poblano chiles this year--I bought a lot of nice ones from them last year--ripe red ones at the end of the season--they're the ones that are called ancho chiles when dried. I did find some small green ones at Sunnyside Organics.

The late-season yellow peaches seemed in general to be lacking in flavor and juiciness. The best ones today, IMO, were at Adam Cook's stand. It could be just the late season varieties or maybe drought conditions, but last week Mark Toigo told me that he does irrigate to protect his trees. I imagine that most of the growers do that, as well. The peaches all seem to be good sized, which wouldn't be the case if they were starved for water.

As much as I applaud the lengthening of the peach season (I remember when they barely made it half-way through August), I find that peaches begin a repaid and marked decline after Labor Day. Too bad. But...once again, I'm starting to remember how good apples can be.

As much as I applaud the lengthening of the peach season (I remember when they barely made it half-way through August), I find that peaches begin a repaid and marked decline after Labor Day. Too bad. But...once again, I'm starting to remember how good apples can be.

I buy apples for my family, and they tell me which varieties are particularly good. I have to make do with pears, which are darned good, too. To my great misfortune, I am allergic to apples.

This morning, the new folks at Quaker Valley Farm, who replaced the Reid Orchard stand, had fresh banana leaves for sale for $2 apiece.
1) Reid changed its name legally to Papa's Orchard last fall, a reflection in changes in the farm's operations and unfortunately, availability of the fruit in more limited range of markets. Does anyone see them anywhere outside of D.C. proper?

As far as the banana leaves go, I forgot to check out the supply. I have to wonder, though, if they'll be there again. If FreshFarm Markets are dedicated to selling locally grown food from local producers...

The late-season yellow peaches seemed in general to be lacking in flavor and juiciness. The best ones today, IMO, were at Adam Cook's stand. It could be just the late season varieties or maybe drought conditions, but last week Mark Toigo told me that he does irrigate to protect his trees. I imagine that most of the growers do that, as well. The peaches all seem to be good sized, which wouldn't be the case if they were starved for water.
Eli Cook is Adam's brother and the farmer in charge of Spring Valley Farm. I'm happy to report that Adam is doing well, teaching, and earning more than he did while operating the dairy we all miss.

Toigo's samples of nectarines were wonderful and inspired me to buy them instead of peaches. The raspberries carried at New Morning Farm are full of flavor, too.

As far as the banana leaves go, I forgot to check out the supply. I have to wonder, though, if they'll be there again. If FreshFarm Markets are dedicated to selling locally grown food from local producers...

I asked--I was told that they grew them. They said the tree gets dug up in the Fall. And presumably goes into a greenhouse.

Heads up for those of you who don't get the emailed advance notice:

The peaches Zora thought good last week will make their final appearance at Spring Valley's stand this Sunday.

The raspberries I bought were still good yesterday; New Morning is bringing them again. (To Sheridan School on Saturday, I would guess, too.)

I'll let our resident expert confirm, but New Morning also carries a pale green summer squash that is stubby enough for me to guess that it's calabacita.

New Morning might have warned us that their sweet orange cherry tomatoes (Sungold) were making their final seasonal appearance last Sunday. However, if I am wrong, you might wish to snatch a box and make spaghetti courtesy of Mario Batali's recipe at the web site, Serious Eats.

Toigo will have the corn that I've seen praised recently.

The new replacement for Papa's (Reid's) Orchards is bringing grapes!

CakeLove will be represented at the Chef Demo ca. 11 AM.

Everyone, please cross your fingers, eyes and toes, light a candle and dance in a circle.

Up high in West Virginia, the temperature dropped to 36 degrees last night according to Eli Cook whose last haul of peaches still taste good to me.

Twin Springs reports that tonight will be even cooler. Frost is good for Brussels Sprouts, but there are still a few things I'd like to prepare w tomatoes that I just haven't gotten around to yet. I've actually had too many raw & sliced to get enthusiastic about them any more, but I want at least one gratin before the season ends.

Saw some winter squash already at Quaker Farms and New Morning brought Tuscan (dinosaur/lacinato) kale for the first time along with sungold cherry tomatoes. Rhubarb and raspberries. Okra at Sunnyside and at Tree & Leaf.

Zeke, the Eco-Friendly baby is four months old, huge (mom's 6 ft. tall) w black tubing on sausage legs. Grabbing peaches out of his parents' hands.

Counted 780 folk at 10:30 this morning on a glorious day...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but a friend of mine has produced a book about the Dupont Market. Anita Walsh is one of the most talented and vibrant people I know. You should drop by the market on 10/14 to chat with her and buy a copy of her unique limited-edition book.

Check out her groovy website for more info: Anita Walsh

I remember thinking about how these farmers and producers embrace hard physical work, risk, weather, disappointment, bugs, and early morning drives to the market so that I may eat beautiful things.

I decided to buy some eggs that day at the market in Dupont Circle and to draw them. I continued buying something at the market each week, taking the item home, and drawing it with great attention to detail.

I've already mentioned that Cathal Armstrong will be demonstrating a recipe this Sunday in the forum for restaurants.

Let me add that Willow Restaurant will also be present, selling apple dumplings to benefit Foodprints, the school program organized by FreshFarm Market.

Cedarbrook Farm will be back. With lard, perhaps, for your apple pies?

Highfield Dairy also plans to return. Solitude (wool & garlic for all you vampire slayers now that the nights turn chill) is taking a break, on the other hand, and will return on the 30th.

All the humidity from the last days of summer vanished along with the gray. Bright. Crowds numbering in the 400-600 range. Musicians at all corners. Dogs, well-behaved. Zora, as always, was there first thing in the morning.

Willow Restaurant made apple fritters, not dumplings, poaching the apples in cider then folding the chopped fruit into pastry cream. The cooled mixture was cut into rectangles, coated in fine bread crumbs and frozen before deep-frying at the market and piping on a caramel sauce. The farmers loved them, especially.

Cathal Armstrong's demonstration was unusual in that he chose to highlight pork and Restaurant Eve's signature apple. He brought ficelles, paté de compagne and an apple compote (diced fruit remained intact when fully cooked) along with an empty terrine and most of the equipment one needs to make the paté he then taught the audience how to prepare for baking.

My stash:

Rhubarb: Crisp

Apples: Most into the crisp, perhaps reserving one to make risotto w cinnamon and a little mascarpone if it's tart enough

Pears: As is

Butterleaf lettuce: (New Morning!) Simple green salad. Wrap around tofu burger w avocado and mango.

Corn: Toigo, though ears were smaller this week. Sautéed kernels from one, added a little heavy cream and grated Dry Jack, then mixed it w black beans for tacos w guacamole yesterday. (***) Have 3 more ears w no place to go.

Jade Green Beans: New Morning's are my favorite. Salads.

Spinach: Pasta w mascarpone & sautéed w garlic for 'ncapriata (fava bean purée)

3 Enormous Bell Peppers: Bright red & orange-green from Silver Spring. Gorgeous this year. Char-roasted, peeled, then baked w garlic, tomato & herbs. Deborah Madison has a recipe I'm modifying.

Tomato: Either for the peppers or for a small potato gratin w basil, caramelized onions, cream and herbs

Kabocha Squash:Not sure. Roast and serve w pork and add to lentil soup, perhaps. Maybe save for another week. Stew or side dish w spare ribs in freezer?

Thyme & Rosemary: Salvaged from the Chef Demo, some of which will go into tomato sauce, but otherwise wait for potatoes, fowl or pork next week.

Eggplant: Tree & Leaf had the most beautiful this weekend: big fat white eggplants and pale lavendar, speckled, each weighing around a pound. Parmigiano w at least 2 of 3 since I have leftover mozzarella and some good basil. Will try baking slices vs. frying.

Red onion: Cf. green beans.

Still have Tuscan kale, potatoes, a large cucumber & a small zucchini globe left from last week. Fresh garlic from New Morning (worth the $1 more than the organic stuff at WFM). Handful of cherry tomatoes.

According to reports, there won't be any more corn at this market on Sunday, though Al Dente's friend will be there signing her book.

Last week, Next Step was selling huge, pale pink radishes. Mild & crunchy. Any interesting ideas for using them?

Toigo's Asian pear apples (vice versa?) are fantastic--also huge.

Twin Springs is selling gorgeous Comice pears, slightly rosy. They need to ripen a bit. Jonagolds are excellent.

New Morning has bulbous, large heirloom beans, called Burt's. Beautiful small white Japanese turnips. I also bought a bag of their basil leaves once since it was my only option. I have always been skeptical about claims that leaving the stuff out on the counter is the best way to go since my stems wilted in jars of water before. However, the stuff really lasts!!!

If it was hopping at 9.30, that would explain why it was quieter than usual at 11, which is about as early as I can usually drag myself out of bed on a Sunday ...

I had bought some very nice back bacon from Cibola a couple weeks ago, but apparently they aren't doing that any more :P. Something about nitrates.

Also, the people across the way from Cibola had real. fresh. ginger. The likes of which I have not seen since I left Hawai'i.

I picked up some of the fresh ginger at Next Step Farm, along with leeks, turnips, sweet potato and garlic. I'm thinking of using the ginger in a marinade for beer braised short ribs. Anyone know if you can freeze it like ginger with skin?

I also spied Barton Seaver with a small film crew, chatting it up at Toigo. Nice jeans :blink:

Lamb rib chops from Eco-Friendly (I think I'll put a moratorium on this splurge, but it was just so good last week) and scrapple from Cedarbrook.

The most delicous thing at Dupont this morning was Chef Seaver getting his makeup done. I couldn't take him home though, I had to make do with gold rush apples and horseradish from Toigo, collard greens from Next Step, and a 12 lb. heritage turkey from Eco-Friendly.

Gosh, it would be so great if the Dupont FreshFarm market decided to give away oysters every day. :( I must had had a dozen, some plain, some with Cooper's soup, and some washed down with Mark Toigo's excellent bloody mary mix.

Pickins are getting slim - lots of root veg, apples, and kale. I did manage to score 2 dozen eggs today from the one vendor that had some.

Bummer about the pork chops, Mark.

The market is a little grim and spare this time of year, but my morning was brightened by a new egg vendor (my carton says Waterview Foods in Nanticoke, MD), possibly the very last package of Cibola hickory smoked bacon, and a loaf of Atwater rye. I know what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. :(

Next Step will be back next week-they were just taking a week off.

Mark, those crab cakes are some of my favorite in the area. I hope you got the jumbo lump, they are much better than the regular ones.

Sunnyside Organic (next to Blueridge Dairy) was back this weekend. They have new owners who sound committed to continuing to provide quality organic products while working with their community, both at the market and out at the farm. There is a new farm manager and they are in the process of filling the rest of their management positions. It sounds like they are going to continue with organic eggs along with their other produce. From what I hear the farm is a state of the art farming wonder with amazing equipment and beautiful soil so the change in management should only mean good things.

From this week's Fresh Farm update:

~ Next Step Produce is back at market this Sunday so expect the return of Heinz' arugula, mache, leeks, potatoes and sweet potatoes, kale, sunchokes, radishes and so much more!

~ Sunnyside Organic is now THE FARM AT SUNNYSIDE owned by the Lapham family who are new to hands-on farming, but have longstanding roots in Washington, DC and in Rappahannock, VA where the farm is located. They will continue to provide organic produce to our markets. A new website is in the works, but you can get progress reports by sending an email to thefarmatsunnyside@gmail.com.

I zipped through a little too fast last week -- or maybe it was the breakfast gin -- but I seemed to notice that some of the other eggers were represented, too (Sunnyside? The Ramp Guys?). So maybe the key is to let the masses flock to the obvious egg source while we insiders and married couples flock to the more obscure booths.

Maybe a good idea to get eggs from him for making hard boiled/devilled eggs. The super-fresh eggs I get from other vendors are a pain to peel.
The new egg guy specifically told me and and some other people that his eggs were not good candidates for hardboiling because they were so fresh. He also taught me how to tell how old eggs bought conventionally were by reading the package.

So far, I think the eggs are tasty and fresh. They have a nice amount of whites which I particularly like since I am not eating every yolk these days.

ETA (after reading Heather's comment)

But they do have a different feel to them than other eggs I have bought from the market. I suspect they are rather conventionally raised (i.e. the first section of the Omnivores Dilemma...) but I could be wrong. I was going to go by his booth tomorrow and ask. In the meantime I'll try to hardboil some this afternoon to see what happens. Stay tuned.

Sunday was sunny and a bit chilly and the market was doing a brisk business, if not packed. At Next Step, I bought kohlrabi (I understand the greens are good too), tat soi, and daikon radish.

Atwater's Bakery-rosemary Italian bread and sourdough

Waterview foods-a dozen fresh brown eggs

Firefly-New French cheese (St. Andres style)

Spring Valley-cameo apples

Does anyone have recommendation on how to prepare/use kohlrabi and tat soi? Thanks!

Does anyone have recommendation on how to prepare/use kohlrabi and tat soi? Thanks!

An excellent question. Responses have been moved to a thread dedicated to the subject of kohlrabi, which may be of great interest to others. You may want to post another question about tat soi and other Asian greens in the shopping and cooking forum.

Sincerely,

Your friendly Farms and Farmers' Markets moderator

Next Step will be back next week-they were just taking a week off.

Mark, those crab cakes are some of my favorite in the area. I hope you got the jumbo lump, they are much better than the regular ones.

Sunnyside Organic (next to Blueridge Dairy) was back this weekend. They have new owners who sound committed to continuing to provide quality organic products while working with their community, both at the market and out at the farm. There is a new farm manager and they are in the process of filling the rest of their management positions. It sounds like they are going to continue with organic eggs along with their other produce. From what I hear the farm is a state of the art farming wonder with amazing equipment and beautiful soil so the change in management should only mean good things.

When I was at Next Step last Sunday, a gentelman told me that they are at Dupont every other Sunday. I'm not sure if this is for the winter only? Anyway, just wanted to pass that along.

The new egg guy's eggs so far seem good-I'm not noticing very thin shells, but just regular shells that crack normally and spill out an intact yolk. I haven't tried one on it's own yet, so I can't speak to the taste (ie: sunny side up, scrambled etc.)

When I was at Next Step last Sunday, a gentelman told me that they are at Dupont every other Sunday. I'm not sure if this is for the winter only? Anyway, just wanted to pass that along.

They'll be there every other Sunday until March when they'll return to their normal weekly schedule. The guy told me it was because he couldn't get enough people to staff the market every week in the winter.

Fresh egg report here.

It really is a shame: Those scrambled eggs look so good. I'm not a big egg eater so a half dozen will last me six weeks or so. Yes, I really do wish they would sell eggs individually. It sure beats trading, with the neighbors, two eggs for a slice of cake.

They'll be there every other Sunday until March when they'll return to their normal weekly schedule. The guy told me it was because he couldn't get enough people to staff the market every week in the winter.
I'm not sure if this is the first winter that Next Step is joining the market on a regular basis or not. I suspect Heinz simply needs a break. He's not short on market help, but says the challenge is finding steady, reliable help at the farm where he and his wife are under-staffed.

This weekend marks his return.

It really is a shame: Those scrambled eggs look so good. I'm not a big egg eater so a half dozen will last me six weeks or so. Yes, I really do wish they would sell eggs individually. It sure beats trading, with the neighbors, two eggs for a slice of cake.
Scrambled eggs for two and a cake from scratch? That would take care of a half a dozen. Perhaps make a Spanish tortilla or quiche one week, scrambled eggs the next.... Chocolate pudding...

I wouldn't find being a vegetarian very difficult, but being a vegan would present a challenge. You, on the other hand, seem to embrace the semi-vegan life. :mellow:

Quoting from the most recent newsletter:

"LOCAL FOODS MOVIE NIGHT with FRESHFARM Markets...TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!!

Thursday, Feb. 21 from 6PM to 8PM, FRESHFARM Markets is hosting a video night about local food at the Letelier Theater in Georgetown (next to Cafe Milano on Prospect St, NW). We'll be showing our own FFM video, "The True Cost of Food" and "Fridays at the Farm." Admission is $10 per person and includes a glass of wine or apple cider and organic popcorn. Robb Duncan, will talk about sourcing ingredients for his gelato from local farmers and treat you to a sample of Dolcezza gelato! Renee Catacalos of Edible Chesapeake will talk about her passion for local foods in our Chesapeake Bay region. Pablo Elliott, Director of the Local Food Project at Airlie, will welcome us with info about local foods. Reserve your seat NOW by calling Maddy Beckwith at 202.362.8889 or sending an email to info@freshfarmmarkets.org>"

I wouldn't find being a vegetarian very difficult, but being a vegan would present a challenge. You, on the other hand, seem to embrace the semi-vegan life. :)

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about it like that. I guess I am semi-vegan, at home, when I'm cooking for one. But, any where near Cleveland Park (and Palena or Dino or Nam Viet) and the omnivore surfaces. Furiously. :mellow:

Creekside sells half a dozen eggs. I'm not sure but the guy in the bank lot may sell by the half dozen too. His eggs are $.75 cheaper per dozen. I also tried 2 empanadas from Chris's (crabcake folks)-both the tat soi and beef had great seasoning and I simply popped them into my toaster to reheat them the next day. $3 a piece.

I was specifically looking for turnips with greens and found them only at Sunnyside-but had to buy them separately. Clever, but :mellow:

Keswick Creamery's feta de provence enticed me to buy some and along with dried tomatoes from Sunnyside, I think there's a pasta dish in the near future.

I tried the egg guy in the bank parking lot one more time, and the latest batch of eggs is much fresher than the first two I bought a few weeks ago. The goat cheese tart folks have beautiful eggs, but they sell out very quickly.

Atwater has been hit or miss lately; my latest loaf of rye needed salt and about a minute more in the oven and the struan was doughy also.The salt thing seems to come and go.

I might have to quit the market for a few weeks...standing in long lines for a handful of rutabagas or some parsnips is getting depressing. Someone call me in April when the green stuff comes back, and Penn Quarter reopens. I'm dying for a loaf of pugliese from Quail Creek.

Just a reminder since Chef Demos are rare at this time of year:

Odessa Piper will be at the Dupont Circle Market this Sunday, February 24, from 11 am until noon.

She'll be featuring a range of things shoppers might find at the market during winter:

Braises (pork especially)

Winter vegetables, roots and leaves

Apples and Cider

Al Dente, gonna be there, too?