Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

As opposed to this week, most of the farmers were sold out by the time they were willing to deal with the large restaurant orders. And a bus stuck across Connecticut making us later than usual did not help either. But this led to the serendipitous discovery of Zach at Tree & Leaf's amazing golden frilled mustard. Very similar to Mizuna with at once both a tiny bit more of a hot zip but one that lasts less than mizuna combined with a warm, shisho pepperyness make this a wonderful green. His arugula is pretty spectacular too. I see an insalata forte in my future!

Next week should be the last for full sized broccoli heads, the third week for Brussels sprouts (which are sold on stalk and like with broccoli, the stalk is better then the "flower") and more of the hearty greens coming. While the summer was hellish because of the weather, the fall veggie season seems to be more welll behaved and producing amazing flavors. I hope for another sunny day for the financial benefit of the hard working farmers.

this is the time to load up on quince. we use them as a kitchen perfume.

I had a small number of wrapped samples of quince dulce de membrillo with me at the market yesterday, so that the Toigo folks and other friends could taste what I've been doing with their fruit. And I picked up a few more quinces while I was there. I chatted briefly with Ibo Salmy the owner of Cornucopia, who was also choosing quinces. He told me that he'd used the last ones he'd bought to make an oven-baked tagine with ground lamb, and was planning to use these to make a Persian dish of quinces stuffed with ground lamb. Both dishes sound amazing. However, The One Who Eats Dinner has determined that he does not like dishes that contain meat and fruit together. We all have our crosses to bear, I know--this is a particularly vexing one for an adventurous cook, however. :(

I had a small number of wrapped samples of quince dulce de membrillo with me at the market yesterday, so that the Toigo folks and other friends could taste what I've been doing with their fruit. And I picked up a few more quinces while I was there. I chatted briefly with Ibo Salmy the owner of Cornucopia, who was also choosing quinces. He told me that he'd used the last ones he'd bought to make an oven-baked tagine with ground lamb, and was planning to use these to make a Persian dish of quinces stuffed with ground lamb. Both dishes sound amazing. However, The One Who Eats Dinner has determined that he does not like dishes that contain meat and fruit together. We all have our crosses to bear, I know--this is a particularly vexing one for an adventurous cook, however. :(

If the One Who Eats Dinner becomes The One Who Goes Out To Dinner, sign me up for that empty seat.

I'll B.Y.O.Q.

Tomorrow, November 15, PS 7's Gina the Queena and Mr. Peter Smith will be making the rounds of farmers' tents before they take turns standing over a bubbling cauldron, stirring stone soup.

Chef at Market events generally begin at 11 AM, though this sounds like a whatever-suits-them kind of thing.

Zach Lester, Georgia and Katherine from Tree and Leaf have finalized the purchase of their own farm in Unionville, VA this past week. It is just under 50 acres, on the border of Spotsylvania and Orange counties, near Culpeper, roughly equidistant from Fredericksburg and Charlottesville, and about 75 miles from DC. The farm has about 25 acres of cultivatible land, the rest is woodland and structures, including a Cape Cod house built in the 1940's. (I saw photos.) Zach is going to be setting up hoop hoses--he called them "tunnels"--starting next week. They'll be coming to the market until Christmas, and will then take a break until Spring. Zach will be busy sodbusting on the farm's old hay fields to plant his row crops for next season, but he says that is far superior to having to rebuild the soil following corn or soybean crops. Asked whether he is going to do any farmers' markets in Fredericksburg or Charlottesville, Zach was definite that their customers are in DC and here is where they plan to be.

Zach Lester, Georgia and Katherine from Tree and Leaf have finalized the purchase of their own farm in Unionville, VA this past week.

Zach is quite a character adn we ahve been talking about the impending move for several weeks. Yesterday i pointed out that he is going from a rent slave to being a mortgage slave. He seemed excited at the prospect.

White there are many great farmers, the passion that both Zach and Heinz at Next step ahve for their produce is a real source of excitement for me.

Zach enjoys being a rock star here.

Gorgeous day of blue skies and shedding layers again. Predictions were for much cooler, gray weather and because of what happened instead, there were more than 800 people milling and shopping and hanging out during peak time, even though the day started out quite slow.

Many of you were there, including a favorite volunteer and a favorite old fart who this time pronounced distain for quince. Really. The Andres sisters and Ris two weeks before the opening of her restaurant (you hear that?) and the usual Hawaiian shirt with a cart.

What I brought home:

• Local honey for someone w allergies (Toigo)
  • Vif d'étampes pumpkin (so there, Zora!)
  • 3 quince
  • Lovely little fingerlings from Tree & Leaf
  • Dark green tat soi (looks like a flower)
  • Savoy cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Two Gold Rush apples
  • A little cider
  • Whole milk
  • Sfogliatela courtesy of Chris the Crabcake guy who's friends w an Italian pastry chef

Hoping to make stock after Thanksgiving and use the cabbage for soup with white beans and root vegetables.

Any suggestions for the tat soi?

Zach enjoys being a rock star here.

Gorgeous day of blue skies and shedding layers again. Predictions were for much cooler, gray weather and because of what happened instead, there were more than 800 people milling and shopping and hanging out during peak time, even though the day started out quite slow.

Many of you were there, including a favorite volunteer and a favorite old fart who this time pronounced distain for quince. Really. The Andres sisters and Ris two weeks before the opening of her restaurant (you hear that?) and the usual Hawaiian shirt with a cart.

What I brought home:

• Local honey for someone w allergies (Toigo)
  • Vif d'étampes pumpkin (so there, Zora!)
  • 3 quince
  • Lovely little fingerlings from Tree & Leaf
  • Dark green tat soi (looks like a flower)
  • Savoy cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Two Gold Rush apples
  • A little cider
  • Whole milk
  • Sfogliatela courtesy of Chris the Crabcake guy who's friends w an Italian pastry chef

Hoping to make stock after Thanksgiving and use the cabbage for soup with white beans and root vegetables.

Any suggestions for the tat soi?

AB, tatsoi is excellent in soups. It holds up well over time, but gets more supple than kale. I use it in any soup where greens are called for, but my favorite soup to use it in is wedding soup.

Is Chris selling sfogiatele? (lucky you!)

Is Chris selling sfogiatele? (lucky you!)

He had a number of pastries on display at his stand and was taking orders for Wednesday pick-ups or deliveries (minimum 5?). If he has a web site for Chris at Marketplace, perhaps there is a way to contact him. The sfogliatela are as good or better than ones I've had standing up in an Italian bar (sigh), but I have to say the rustic apple tarts were stunning, too. Great custard. Flaky.

Thanks for tip! Others?

$600 worth of produce is two full cart loads. Greens galire! Osaka Mustard + Rapini + lemon juice is stir fry heaven. Golden Frill mustard, arugula & mizuna + garlic is a wonderful salad. Potatoes, butternuts & acorn squash are beautiful!

Sore shoulders are a pain!

The crowd at Dupont seemed a bit thinner yesterday, but on the other hand, we got a kick-ass parking spot!

The produce was incredible at every stand. I got a huge head of curly mustard greens at Spring Valley, Cheddar at Keswick, Greek yogurt at Blue Ridge (getting addicted to this stuff with honey and pecans), fresh ginger (advertised as the last of the season), tat soi and sweet potatoes at Next Step.

FYI- Copper Pot with Stefano Frigerio's amazing products is coming to Dupont in January.

The crowd at Dupont seemed a bit thinner yesterday, but on the other hand, we got a kick-ass parking spot!

What time where you there? I was there from 11:30-close and was surprised at the large size of the crowd. It took a while to find a parking spot:( I know Farm at Sunnyside was pleased with the amount of business they did and credited the beautiful weather. Some areas didn't feel as crowded as usual, such as the north entrance, because Atwater was moved to inside the parking lot (where New Morning usually sets up) and Blue Ridge was across the street from their normal spot to make room for the Christmas Tree vendor.

Did anybody else grab the tomatoes micro basil and cilantro at Sunnyside? Mmmm, a bite of summer in the late fall.

What time where you there? I was there from 11:30-close and was surprised at the large size of the crowd. It took a while to find a parking spot:( I know Farm at Sunnyside was pleased with the amount of business they did and credited the beautiful weather. Some areas didn't feel as crowded as usual, such as the north entrance, because Atwater was moved to inside the parking lot (where New Morning usually sets up) and Blue Ridge was across the street from their normal spot to make room for the Christmas Tree vendor.

Did anybody else grab the tomatoes micro basil and cilantro at Sunnyside? Mmmm, a bite of summer in the late fall.

I got to the market just before 10am. I think that I found parking because folks were out of town for the holiday. I also forgot to add that I bought swiss chard and beef* empanadas from Chris's. I've come to find that reheating them in my toaster works really nicely to heat them up and get the crust flaky. Even 2-3 days later.

*Just got done eating now, and I love the sweet/heat flavoring.

I love getting to Dupont early -- not only for the easier parking lol, but because the crowds are often smaller, and there's so much more available. Dangerous for my bank account, but it's all for a good cause, no? :b

Responding to various parts of this thread ...

I've been loving the fresh ginger at Next Step. I use ginger a lot, so this was a very happy find for me.

I still love the feta from Blue Ridge. I could (and do) just eat on its own, though there's also spanikopita, quiche, and grilled (or broiled, given the weather outside) fattoush.

WW flour from Moutoux ... I've been having a great time using it--and turning my friends on to it. I didn't do a comparison to other ww flours, but I used it in a goat cheese and leek galette, pizza, and challah.

There's so much more that's good there, and I plan on heading out in the morning, despite the mushy weather out there. Should be fine by then, and it's supposed be sunny and slightly warmer too. :angry:

The FreshFarm website has announced they will be closed on Sunday, December 20th in honor of Snowpocalypse '09 but....

Dave Dowling of Farmhouse Flowers & Plants is coming to market with a truckload of lilies, tulips, cyclamen, amaryllis, Christmas cactus and 5 wreaths. He plans to arrive by 7:30am. Come help him shovel a space in the PNC Bank parking lot!

Cedarbrook Farm and Sunnyside Farm and Orchard will also be there.

Tree and Leaf, too! And Buster's!!!

Do check FRESHFARM Market's web site for updates. Oysters by the fire! Christmas ham, ribs, collards, apples, organic cabbage and lilies--not a bad haul from country to city during a blizzard!!!

PS There's a call to willing arms: bring shovels along with your market baskets.

At the market now. Anna has asked me to post the market should be open until about 2 or even later if people show up. Flowers veggies meat fish apples crab cakes and butternut squash soup from the jockey club

Tree and Leaf, too! And Buster's!!!

Do check FRESHFARM Market's web site for updates. Oysters by the fire! Christmas ham, ribs, collards, apples, organic cabbage and lilies--not a bad haul from country to city during a blizzard!!!

PS There's a call to willing arms: bring shovels along with your market baskets.

So, did anybody make it down? How was it?

It was just in the parking lot but cozy and a fair number of customers at 11 am when we got there. A good little market with plenty to buy (but no breads) that reminded me of how Dupont started 10 years ago. Nostalgic. Worth the walk.

Tree and Leaf was there for their last day until March sometime when they return with harvest from the NEW farm -- we bought salad, baby bok choy, broccoli, . Bev had lots of meat at Ecofriendly. Busters had oysters. Chris had soups and empanadas. Cedarbrook had pork, Sunnyside etc... I think there were 8-10 producers.

Because of the heavy winds and low temperatures, truck failure and things that required stay-home attention on farms that grow produce year-round, greens were in more limited supply than usual. Endless Summer ran out of its hydroponic inventory before 11 AM and otherwise, there were very few bundles of curly kale along w a few heads of cabbage and some Brussels sprouts at Sunnyside (W VA vs. VA organic).

Next-Step Produce and Farm @ Sunnyside will alternate most weeks until April, though next week both organic growers should be there. If you miss them, do come as close to the opening hour of 10 AM as possible. Spring Valley hopes its greens will be ready and Twin Springs always has a few vegetables that don't belong in the "root" category.

Toigo should return next Sunday, too.

New to market: Stefano Friggerio (The Copper Pot) back from Florida; you can find him inside the parking lot.

Nice surprise: Chris was there selling crab cakes, etc. (He was not expected until next week.)

About the only good things I can say about the weather relate to food safety issues or the fact that it could have been cloudy and icy with stuff falling from the sky. Smith Meadows took advantage of the freezer-like conditions to display its wide range of meats, pasta, etc. and attracted new customers. The sun actually turned the bitter cold of dawn into warmth and blue overhead always keeps spirits just as high.

It was also great to catch up with Don whose New Year's resolutions include staying home to cook (cf. Dinner thread) at least one meal every other week.

My haul:

• Round of goat-cheese w rind (Brie-like)
  • Asian apple pears
  • Handful of Seckel pears
  • Apples
  • Honey
  • Oyster mushrooms
  • Ossobuco tortellini
  • spare ribs from Cedarbrook to braise since I have apple cider and a Savoy cabbage at home.

Used to be that market in January was just depressing. Only a few stands with meager offerings in the parking lot. Not anymore. Today there were long lines (for January in absurdly cold weather) at both Sunnysides and Tree and Leaf. Copper Pot and the lavender stand from SS are there for the winter. If you've ever wanted to try some of Zora's lavender recipes, you can pick up cooking lavender, lavender sugar, salt, pepper, etc. at the stand. Stefano (Copper Pot) was selling a potato Parmesan soup that was divine and will be perfect for lunch this week. If you would like to see them in warmer weather, make sure to let those who run market know. And the meat stands have their meat out, thanks to the cold temps, which makes looking over the product much easier and tempting.

All that was missing was someone selling hot chocolate, although the first stand on the north entrance was selling hot apple cider.

I needed to pick up prepared foods since I'm not cooking anytime soon and between the choices of soups, crab cakes, empanadas, apple sauce, and blackberry jam I'm set for a good part of the week. Who needs Whole Food's prepared foods section when you have market?

Used to be that market in January was just depressing. Only a few stands with meager offerings in the parking lot. Not anymore. Today there were long lines (for January in absurdly cold weather) at both Sunnysides and Tree and Leaf. Copper Pot and the lavender stand from SS are there for the winter. If you've ever wanted to try some of Zora's lavender recipes, you can pick up cooking lavender, lavender sugar, salt, pepper, etc. at the stand. Stefano (Copper Pot) was selling a potato Parmesan soup that was divine and will be perfect for lunch this week. If you would like to see them in warmer weather, make sure to let those who run market know. And the meat stands have their meat out, thanks to the cold temps, which makes looking over the product much easier and tempting.

All that was missing was someone selling hot chocolate, although the first stand on the north entrance was selling hot apple cider.

I needed to pick up prepared foods since I'm not cooking anytime soon and between the choices of soups, crab cakes, empanadas, apple sauce, and blackberry jam I'm set for a good part of the week. Who needs Whole Food's prepared foods section when you have market?

Thank you! for the tip on lavender. I've been looking for it.* I'll pick some up next week. This week, we hit Arlington and Falls Church, so I'm stocked (sort of, could always want more) and the wallet is, well, recouperating!.

*awaiting my chevre starter from New England Cheesemaking.

Correction: it was Heinz Thomé's Next Step stand there today, not Tree and Leaf. (I believe that Tree and Leaf won't be back until Spring, as they are making the move to their new farm, and won't have product to sell until then.)

Also, the lavender and lamb seller is Jonathan (can't recall his last name at the moment), the handsome guy who used to work for Sunnyside Organics (now called Farm at Sunnyside) years ago, and was a regular at the Dupont Market back in the good ol' days. We talked a bit about the advantages of powdered lavender for culinary purposes: the powder enables greater control of the amount of lavender flavor which perfuses a dish more thoroughly, and then also you're not biting into a whole flower, which can be unpleasantly strong. He laboriously hand grinds some for his flavored nuts, and would need to acquire a mechanical spice grinder in order to make enough to sell powder, but thought the idea was worth consideration.

Correction...:

Heinz Thomet's Next Step Produce should alternate with Farm at Sunnyside during the Winter Market. Today was unusual in that both were there given weather and whatnot last week.

Zora is right regarding Tree & Leaf since they stopped planting on the land they leased some time back and Zach, Georgia and Katherine are focussing on preparing for the growing season ahead on their very own land.

Jonathan's lavender and lamb is new to the winter market at Dupont Circle, though as Hillvalley notes, you can also find his Welsh Gardens at Silver Spring on Saturdays now that the Silver Spring market has re-opened as a year-round market.

FYI: So, next week Next Step Produce will stay home and Farm @ Sunnyside will return; you'll find Emily (She Who Made The First Lady Laugh in all those White House market photos) of the latter farm inside the parking lot, occupying Heinz's traditional spot. (Also appearing every other week, Solitude and its wool will return and sell on 20th St. where Emily had set up today.)

FWIW Next Step has newly outfitted its tent with white plastic walls, so you may not recognize the stand until you step inside and see the sunchokes and beaming, hairy Swiss guy.

The last of my fresh greens...

Replenish supplies for those you love this upcoming Sunday, February 14.

Remember it will also be the day to ring in The Year of the Tiger, too. Whole fish at Buster's perhaps, if they can make it in w that sort of thing. Long noodles at The Copper Pot and Smith Meadows. Plus tigers, I'm sure, would love eating the pasture-grazed animals from our region's farms.

^I can't say whether Harmony Creek will be there tomorrow, but I do know that once more, we have the riches of two organic produce growers:

Heinz Thomet of Next-Step Produce will be in his usual spot inside the PNC parking lot and Farm at Sunnyside will be in its traditional spring-fall spot on 20th.

Dupont was not terribly crowded at 10 am yesterday. Clear Springs was back and I had virtually no cash on me and no way to keep the milk cold until I got home. Better planning next time (raid Mr. BLB's cash before going.)

BLPreschooler was thrilled that they were back and is getting to be a much more active shopper. He explained to the folks at Farm at Sunnyside that we were buying eggs because he isn't allergic anymore. He studied Emily at Black Rock's picture of apricot blossoms, asked about plum blossoms and is still talking about eating all the apricots up when they are finally in season. And he picked out his apples and pears at her stand too. He waited politely for a blue cheese sample at Firefly. But mostly he wanted to hang at the Clear Spring stand to sample their drinkable yogurt and watch the melting water drip from the bin holding the chocolate milk.

It was a great Sunday morning and I look forward to better planning next week to enjoy it more fully.

Market wasn't packed until about 10:30. The first hour and half was lovely; I was able to walk around with masses of people to work against, no lines at most stands which allowed for relaxed market shopping.

Asparagus and ramps and lovage and oregano and lemon thyme and cilantro and carrots and kale

Spring is here.

Mike Isabella from Zatinya was there with lamb. I wasn't impressed at all with what was served. It was overcooked and if a sauce was served with the lamb we didn't taste it. Many thanks to Anna Blume and the other market workers for bringing around tasting to those behind the stands.

4535295033_8e851610dd.jpg

Asparagus everywhere. I picked up deep green and purple bundles.

I lucked out and got a dozen eggs from Keswick at 9:30, which was pleasantly surprising. Also some Wallaby cheese.

It's been a while since I enjoyed Everona's cheese, so I picked up a wedge of Stony Man (delicious with their cranberry membrillo).

Chris's Marketplace had a nice variety of empanadas-I bought one beef and one shrimp and popped them into the toaster as soon as Mr. MV and I got home.

Next Step- stinging nettles (and why yes, they really do :lol: ) and Siberian kale (looks like pale rabe)

Sunnyside-leeks

I just blanched Siberian kale that I bought from Next Step. Wow! It tastes like broccoli, more than broccoli rabe (which to me, doesn't really taste like its namesake).

So just fyi....if Next Step has it-get it. I just love discovering veggies that I've never even heard of before.

I'm thinking souffle.....maybe with gruyere.....

I just blanched Siberian kale that I bought from Next Step. Wow! It tastes like broccoli, more than broccoli rabe (which to me, doesn't really taste like its namesake).

IIRC that is because rapini is not directly related to broccoli and is not supposed to taste like it. Looks can be deceiving, not to mention the name.

Thanks for reminding me of the provinence of rabe. I so love it.

I just stumbled across something that suggested that rave is very close to turnip greens.

Also, some say that it was rapini that the Rapunzel's mother craved, thus setting that whole sordid set of incidents in motion.

I saw some at one stand, but cannot remember which one.

Farm @ Sunnyside.

The first sweet cherries I saw, coated faintly with a little chalk spray to keep bugs out.

the same folk had very, very limited numbers of pricey boxes of the first english peas I saw first at Penn quarter (hard to type with numb pinkie) on Thursday. $4 for enough to feed one, but the best in memory, so worth it.

Farm @ Sunnyside.

The first sweet cherries I saw, coated faintly with a little chalk spray to keep bugs out.

the same folk had very, very limited numbers of pricey boxes of the first english peas I saw first at Penn quarter (hard to type with numb pinkie) on Thursday. $4 for enough to feed one, but the best in memory, so worth it.

The cherries lasted until about 11:00, which was longer than expected. The peas however, barely made it past opening bell. You could tell it's towards the end of asparagus season because it was available throughout the duration market.

The cherries lasted until about 11:00, which was longer than expected. The peas however, barely made it past opening bell. You could tell it's towards the end of asparagus season because it was available throughout the duration market.

Them peas was pretty good.

Next Step also has delicious carrots. I eat them every week in my dinner salads. Once you've had them, you can never return to bagged store-bought carrots.

So just fyi....if Next Step has it-get it. I just love discovering veggies that I've never even heard of before.

I'm thinking souffle.....maybe with gruyere.....

Farm @ Sunnyside.

But no lovage. Depressing.

But no lovage. Depressing.

Were you the one who complained at Sunnyside? I heard reports of some guy who complained quite loudly that there was no lovage. Turns out it didn't make it on to the truck for some reason. It should have been there. If you need it for a special project let me know and I'll hook you up.