Eastern Market (1971) - Built in 1871, on 7th and C Street SE, Capitol Hill

Tweaked

Bumping to note that as of tomorrow, June 15, Eastern Market will be closed so that the vendors can move back into the renovated South Hall. The outside market will go on as usual next weekend, and the grand reopening will happen on Friday, June 26th. Details here.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The market looks really fabulous--so much light and air it hardly seems like the same place, though it's unmistakably the same place. Everyone involved did a great job. I love the peachy/salmon color they painted the walls. There were substantial crowds but not as bad as I had expected. At 11 AM, though, the line for Market Lunch stretched well into the North Hall. I picked up the two things I needed inside with no real lines to speak of; moving from one end of the market to the other was the challenge. (Shrimp from the fish counter and lemongrass from Paik: I had to need things at completely opposite ends of the market :D).

I love the peachy/salmon color they painted the walls. There were substantial crowds but not as bad as I had expected.
Say "hi" next time! Apparently, according to the ^ Kojo show, that was the original color on the walls, so they decided to match it.

Braved the masses to check out the market today. General consensus is that the aisle is narrower and the counters are higher than they were before. The building is supposed to be ADA compliant so I wonder how the high counters passed.

Despite the blurry nature, this pic is worth a look because in the old market this doorway wasn't there. It is right after Marlet Lunch and leads into the north wing. Before you used to have to go outside to get into the other side. The hallway in between the two halls also has a bathroom. post-19-124623762369_thumb.jpg

The temporary market emptied out post-19-124623792504_thumb.jpg

A quote from Mel from Market Poultry about the day of the fire post-19-124623818789_thumb.jpg

Braved the masses to check out the market today. General consensus is that the aisle is narrower and the counters are higher than they were before. The building is supposed to be ADA compliant so I wonder how the high counters passed.

My first thought when at the fish counter yesterday was that I still couldn't see over it and it seemed even higher than before. This is really kind of crazy, since the people working behind the counter aren't necessarily tall enough to see over it either. The meat counters looked the same height as this too. Why do they do this?!

My first thought when at the fish counter yesterday was that I still couldn't see over it and it seemed even higher than before. This is really kind of crazy, since the people working behind the counter aren't necessarily tall enough to see over it either. The meat counters looked the same height as this too. Why do they do this?!

I don't know about the high counters, but the aisles are more narrow because of the addition of A/C to the market, or so I was told. The market looks fantastic - it is great to see everyone in their (new) old familiar places!

When I was buying bacon at Union Meats yesterday, I asked the guy behind the counter (don't know his name, but he's worked there quite a while) if the new counters were higher, and he confirmed that they are. I couldn't really see over the counter and it was hard to get his attention to order. I stood on my toes and stretched both of my arms over the top of the counter so I could be seen. As I was talking to him, he said that he's 6'1" and was standing on his tiptoes. He could see over the counter, but it sure didn't look like he was over 6 ft. tall. I hate to be complaining, since I've always had trouble seeing and being seen over the counters there (and at the temporary space), but for it to have gotten worse is kind of ridiculous...and frustrating.

The old/new market is open again and it looks fabulous!! What a relief for the vendors and for the neighborhood!!! After years of wrangling about "restoring/renovating/refurbishing/etc." the Market, I'll just say that no fire ever resolved a thorny architectural problem so neatly. I salute the Mayor for getting it done on time, in budget, and for reminding us all what a treasure we have.

Has anyone else been yet??

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody had a take on whether Eastern Market might be a worthwhile stop for a tourist like me, being a guy who gets a real kick out of markets in general. Sounds like I'd probably enjoy this one.

It looks like a location I'd hit en route to someplace else on my itinerary, so it'd be more a detour than a special desination trip for me.

Last fall I had a hard time getting a handle on how far along the recovery from the fire was. Obviously I'd overlooked this thread then, for reasons I can't explain.

Anyway I think I'm going to see if I can get by there next Tues, which will be my only shot at the place since they're closed on Mondays per the org website.

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody had a take on whether Eastern Market might be a worthwhile stop for a tourist like me, being a guy who gets a real kick out of markets in general. Sounds like I'd probably enjoy this one.

It looks like a location I'd hit en route to someplace else on my itinerary, so it'd be more a detour than a special desination trip for me.

Last fall I had a hard time getting a handle on how far along the recovery from the fire was. Obviously I'd overlooked this thread then, for reasons I can't explain.

Anyway I think I'm going to see if I can get by there next Tues, which will be my only shot at the place since they're closed on Mondays per the org website.

There's probably more entertaining browsing to do there on the weekends, when there is a big craft fair in addition to the outdoor farmers' market, but Eastern Market is always fun to walk through. If you aren't cooking for yourself while you are here, the vendors may be of limited interest to you. But you can always have a snack at Market Lunch while you are there--breakfast choices are good if you are there early, and a crabcake sandwich or a half smoke is a DC tradition (Wait--do they serve half-smokes at Market Lunch?).

And there's a great, funky old second-hand book store across the street, next door to Marvelous Market.

And there's a great, funky old second-hand book store across the street, next door to Marvelous Market.

I do get an odd kick out of browsing produce markets even if I'm not buying anything beyond a bit of fruit or something.

But the book store seals the deal; that sounds like my kind of place. Thanks, that is a great tip. :(

I do get an odd kick out of browsing produce markets even if I'm not buying anything beyond a bit of fruit or something.

But the book store seals the deal; that sounds like my kind of place. Thanks, that is a great tip. :(

Tortilla Cafe on 7th right there (NC Ave. side) has good pupusas, if you want to supplement Market Lunch.

The bookstore is very cramped, just fyi. (I'm somewhat claustrophobic.) If you're going farther afield, there's another used bookstore on East Capitol, SE, between 4th and 5th streets.

There's also a cool kitchen store (Hill's Kitchen) on the street just south of the Eastern Market plaza [i.e., it runs right behind it], if you're taking Metro.

Tortilla Cafe on 7th right there (NC Ave. side) has good pupusas, if you want to supplement Market Lunch.

The bookstore is very cramped, just fyi. (I'm somewhat claustrophobic.) If you're going farther afield, there's another used bookstore on East Capitol, SE, between 4th and 5th streets.

There's also a cool kitchen store (Hill's Kitchen) on the street just south of the Eastern Market plaza [i.e., it runs right behind it], if you're taking Metro.

Somehow I missed this post once I got to DC. A pity, but good info for next time.

My excursion to Eastern Market proved to be a highlight of my trip. Yeah, I'm a little crazy that way, three trips to DC & still haven't set foot inside the Smithsonian. I figure I'll get there sooner or later, it's bound to rain one of these years. Anyway, in gratitude for the advice here, I thought I'd post a few pix.

Emerging from the Metro and walking towards the Market, I immediately felt at home in the neighborhood.

P1020954.jpg

P1020955.jpg

P1020971.jpg

The Market was a bit smaller than I'd imagined it, but very inviting.

P1020958.jpg

P1020964.jpg

The butcher's counter really made me want to move to DC and cook pork products.

P1020961.jpg

P1020962.jpg

The menu at Market Lunch was tempting...

P1020963.jpg

...but the choices felt a bit too heavy for my system at that point in the day. So I walked down to the sandwich counter at the other end of the Market for a curried chicken salad sandwich, which proved to be one of the best versions ever. Fortunately, it was just warm enough for me to be able to sit outside and enjoy it.

P1020966.jpg

P1020965.jpg

After my lunch, feeling very well fed, I strolled over to Capitol Hill Books and had a great time browsing the shelves. I came away with only one book, but it was one more than I'd had when I entered, and that's a good thing.

P1020969.jpg

Love your city, can't wait till I return. :)

This is great news. Any word on who the vendors will be? Will they be the same as on Saturday/Sunday, or will the market be an actual farmer's market, restricted like some of the other farmer's markets in the area (Penn Quarter, H Street, etc).

I almost typed in the names from the flyer I got but didn't. Here they are. They're divided up into old vendors returning and new ones.

Welcoming Familiar Faces

Marvin Ogburn

Barbour's Fruit Farm

Dunham Farms

Ashton Farms

Bob King

Mo Brown

Introducing Fresh Farmers

John Stoltzfus and Christian Hertzler fresh from the Amish Farmers Market in Charlotte Hall, MD

Ben Hertzler, "The Watermelon King" from St. Mary's County, MD

Julie "Baaaa Baaaa" Bolton, Groff's Content Farm, MD

Shyla and Steven "Heirloom" Kennedy from Purcellville, VA

Charles Flemer from Walnut Hill Farm in Colonial Beach, VA

Maybe it was the heat, when I was there a couple weekends ago it just didn't seem to have as many vendors as normal... maybe that is why they are accepting new apps, but that seems to be for Sunday only and this was a Saturday.  Must have been the heat.

Maybe it was the heat, when I was there a couple weekends ago it just didn't seem to have as many vendors as normal... maybe that is why they are accepting new apps, but that seems to be for Sunday only and this was a Saturday.  Must have been the heat.

They put out these calls periodically.  I don't know if it's triggered by date, number of current vendors, or what.  The Tuesday farmers' line seems to have diversified somewhat recently.  I bought some things this past week from a vendor I don't recall seeing before.

With a number of grocery stores now nearby--including Trader Joe's very nearby--Eastern Market's vendors have quite a bit of competition. I feel guilty sometimes shopping at TJ's (and have a neighbor who will only shop there on Mondays, when the Market is closed), but I am often lured by the convenience and prices of the chain, and the exceptional quality of some of the products. Occasionally there is something I can get at the Market but not TJ's (hello, Worcestershire sauce!), but, instead of stopping in as regularly as I once did, I find myself making deliberate trips to Eastern Market to buy things just to help the vendors stay in business.

Today I needed some last minute items (mostly bread) and didn't think of Eastern Market because it's Monday. You'd think after all the years of living in the neighborhood, I'd remember that on Tuesday Christmas/New Year's, the Market is open Monday. They were out of chives at TJ's, so I decided to substitute scallions. (And, no, I didn't want to walk the extra steps to YES! on Barracks Row, which is probably suffering more from TJ's opening than the Market is. I hope they can stay in business.) Walking back home past Eastern Market, I realized it was open. D'oh! Special holiday hours. So I bought chives and decided on a couple of cold cuts to add to a platter I'm making tonight. it would have been fine without the meats, but I was there and felt like I should do penance for shopping down the street.

I had braced myself for crowds at Trader Joe's on Christmas Eve morning, but it was nowhere near as busy as it often is. Eastern Market, however, was packed. I saw a number of friends and neighbors in and around the Market, rounded out my purchases, and felt good about the whole thing.

Happy Holidays!