Eastern Market (1971) - Built in 1871, on 7th and C Street SE, Capitol Hill

Thank you for providing links, personal reports, etc.

One reference in the second column in the Washington Post that interested me is the O Street Market in Shaw. This is a separate matter, but does anyone know more about its history? Current physical condition? Expressions of interest in revitalizing in terms of its original function?

Here's a wonderful contribution from Bonny Wolf.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is horrible news. The pictures break my heart. I lived on the hill for eight years, and spent countless moments at the market. On many Saturday mornings, I would get up and go to the Market Lunch to "order" my breakfast, which Mary, who is now deceased, knew by heart: french toast, eggs over well, maple syrup, bottle of water. My mom went to the market last saturday before she drove home, and she was shocked this morning when I called to give her the news.

From what I understand, what's left of the "O" Street Market is being converted into a new Giant.

How awful! When I worked on the Hill, the only thing that made my too frequent weekends at the office bearable were my trips to the market. Those trips became my reward system. Get through this memo and I can go for fruit. Finish this speech and I can go pick up some great meat.

Twenty one years in the DC area. Twenty one years of saying "we ought to try Eastern Market." But Market Lunch isn't (wasn't) serving its famous breakfast on Sundays. What's up with that? I hope when they rebuild, the owners insist that Market Lunch or whoever else serves prepared food is open for breakfast on Sunday. Of course, you'd never know this from the Eastern Market website. The entry for Market Lunch has only the name of the owner, the phone number, and the address.

Ellen Paul

Chevy Chase

As the Mayor and the "community" get involved in reconstruction decisions, I am waiting to see how many months are lost to imbecilic wrangling over minor details and political pissing contests. I am personally hoping that, aside from obvious updates best done now (probably a good moment to look at wiring, plumbing, air circulation and so on and maybe throw in some Internet cable for the stall-keepers), that some benevolent despot (I think our Mayor can channel that role, if necessary) moves rapidly to rebuild the market as close to the original as reasonably possible. Then a small, vocal handful can pick up where they left off, arguing about "the future of Eastern Market" for another two decades, while the rest of us go shopping.

Imposing demands on a respected and beloved small business owner now looking at 18 months of lost income strikes me as petty.

Twenty one years in the DC area. Twenty one years of saying "we ought to try Eastern Market." But Market Lunch isn't (wasn't) serving its famous breakfast on Sundays. What's up with that? I hope when they rebuild, the owners insist that Market Lunch or whoever else serves prepared food is open for breakfast on Sunday. Of course, you'd never know this from the Eastern Market website. The entry for Market Lunch has only the name of the owner, the phone number, and the address.

Ellen Paul

Chevy Chase

You realize that a few years ago, he wanted to stop Saturday morning breakfast but there was an overwhelming cry to keep it, so he relented. I have no problem if he wants to take a morning off for a day of rest, for pete's sake!

Ellen Paul

Chevy Chase

Seriously? Complaining about the website of a business that has just been destroyed? And insisting that new demands be placed on that business? When you never even went there????

I can only hope that this post was not intended to be as mean-spirited as it reads.

Ellen Paul

Chevy Chase

Edit: What Lackadaisi said.

Edit: What Lackadaisi said.

It was not intended as mean-spirited at all. It was just an observation. The website isn't the website of Market Lunch (I have never been able to find a website for Market Lunch). It is the website of Eastern Market. Obviously, I am sorry for the business owners and wish them well. That doesn't mean that I can't comment on a problem and suggest a way that it could be fixed. For people from the burbs, even the close-in burbs, getting to Eastern Market is a schlep, especially on weekends when Metro runs on a "whenever" schedule and delays are lengthy if they are single-tracking - which is common on weekends. So getting information about hours and such is important.

Ellen Paul

Chevy Chase

From the Eastern Market website:

The South Hall also houses Market Lunch which is open for breakfast and lunch Tuesdays through Saturdays and is best known for its homemade bread, blueberry pancakes and crabcakes.

http://www.easternmarket.net/index.php?id=farmersline

I think the thing is, this vendor and ALL of his employees are out of work. I don't doubt your sympathizing with thier situation. There just seemed to be a lack of empathy and compassion.

I just hope, selfishly, that ML will be up and running somewhere in the meantime, and that they will return to the Market once it re-opens. Bluebuck withdrawl ain't pretty.

As the Mayor and the "community" get involved in reconstruction decisions, I am waiting to see how many months are lost to imbecilic wrangling over minor details and political pissing contests. I am personally hoping that, aside from obvious updates best done now (probably a good moment to look at wiring, plumbing, air circulation and so on and maybe throw in some Internet cable for the stall-keepers), that some benevolent despot (I think our Mayor can channel that role, if necessary) moves rapidly to rebuild the market as close to the original as reasonably possible. Then a small, vocal handful can pick up where they left off, arguing about "the future of Eastern Market" for another two decades, while the rest of us go shopping.

Imposing demands on a respected and beloved small business owner now looking at 18 months of lost income strikes me as petty.

ok -- here comes the politico eocnomics: What can the DC local government do?

A) Look at whatever the existing regulations may be that will impede rebuiding swiftly

:blink: Put in place new laws that will permit the owners to re-coop the actual costs of rebuiding (presuming they have "at cost" insurance) with upgrades that will make Eastern Market better than before.

C) Otherwise, Stay outa the way!

Something that just hit me is the loss of all the memorabilia that was lost: Market Poultry's Redskin bonanza, the articles on the wall at Market Lunch, etc.

...and the dozen or so signs (maybe that's exagerating) telling you to move along smartly :blink: That's as "DC" as standing to the right.

ok -- here comes the politico eocnomics: What can the DC local government do?

A) Look at whatever the existing regulations may be that will impede rebuiding swiftly

:blink: Put in place new laws that will permit the owners to re-coop the actual costs of rebuiding (presuming they have "at cost" insurance) with upgrades that will make Eastern Market better than before.

C) Otherwise, Stay outa the way!

I'm with you. I'm actually more worried about community groups who might say, "as long as we're rebuilding, we could..." and then fight for months over whatever it is that they could do. As you probably know, there have been plans on and off to update the place for probably 20 years -- endless squabbling between groups and with the merchants with no agreement ever achieved. Sadly, according to the Post, they couldn't even find a way to get a sprinkler stystem in.

Scanning the online Voice of the Hill, I just saw this:

CHAMPS Fundraiser for Eastern Market on Wednesday

The Capitol Hill Association of Merchants and Professionals (CHAMPS) is hosting a fundraiser for the vendors at Eastern Market.

Marty’s is providing a buffet for donors. Although there is no fixed price, CHAMPS has recommended the following contribution amounts:

Individual $100

Business $250

Sponsorship $600

All donations will go to the Capitol Hill Community Foundation’s Eastern Market… Keep it Going! Campaign.

The event begins at 6 p.m. at on Wednesday, May 2 at Marty’s, 527 Eighth St., SE. For information, contact CHAMPS at champs@capitolhill.org or (202) 547-7788.

http://www.voiceofthehill.com/

Has anyone heard how much money was raised at Marty's last night? It looked like a big crowd in the TV footage.

I just saw the city's proposal for housing the Market vendors while it is being restored--it basically involves a huge prefab building that would be situated at one of three nearby sites. (Before you say ick, the drawings suggest something that won't be totally ugly or out of place in the neighborhood.) Once plans are approved, they may be in business there sometime in August or sooner, depending where they locate. It's good to see things moving forward so quickly on this dimension, at least.

Also, Jose Canales tells me that he will shortly be selling rotisserie chickens and deli meats out of the Tortilla Cafe across the street, which he also owns.

A yahoo listserve has been created under the name "saveourmarket". It has information about volunteering and community efforts regarding the market.

This is a t-shirt that is being created to raise money.

Also, this is from the Freshfarm market weekly email:

Eastern Market

Our city lost an historic city market this week when a fire swept through Eastern Market. There has been an incredible outpouring of support to rebuild this neighborhood landmark and to help the vendors who have been like family members on Capitol Hill. FRESHFARM Markets has offered space to any farmers that may be displaced by the fire. The Capitol Hill Community Foundation has created an emergency fund to help the market vendors and merchants. You and/or your business can make a gift to Eastern Market through the Foundation website (

www.capitolhillcommunityfoundation.org) by typing in 'Eastern Market Keep It Going' in the space that allows for a designation.

The big metal fence that was running down the middle of 7th Street is gone. It looks like they'll have room to be setting up tomorrow.

I had an interesting conversation today with an old Hill friend, whose artist wife died in 1999. I had forgotten that she had done an entire series of portraits of the market vendors back in the 90s. One of our mutual friends has a lovely painting of one of the outdoor produce vendors hanging on her living room wall, but I had forgotten it was a part of a series.

This friend was talking about the portrait of Juan Canales his wife had done. Canales saw it at an exhibit she did at the market, was pleased with it, and bought it. Presumably he has this somewhere at home, a moment at the market, frozen in time.

He thought all of the portraits had been sold (he doesn't have any), and it made me feel good to know they're out there somewhere.

Unfortunately, for the first day out, they had off-and-on rain. I don't know how it was this morning, but I went by a little after two, and the craft vendors at the North end had most of the business, but there weren't many people out in all. The two indoor produce vendors were there, as was Jack from the cheese shop (plus the lovely woman whose name I forget who opened her own shop across the street but had begun working at Bowers in the Market again). They had an insulated bag. Someone said that they had the good cream in the morning. They had cheddar and a couple of other things.

I needed sweet onions, but the indoor (formerly) vendors didn't have them. That's not surprising, given limited space and little time to build inventory. I finally bought them from Dan Donohue, whose stall was on the east side, by the Hine playground and the alley. (He's usually at 7th and C on the other side, which is blocked off.) He seemed uncharacteristically unhappy (though his Red Sox banner was out--that's how I spotted the stand). Gas prices have driven their prices up. Combined with fire and rain (cue James Taylor), not so good.

Since she didn't have sweet onions, I bought some red onions from Mrs. Calomiris. I can use them too. She's such a sweet lady. They've all had such a rough week.

A final point: the fire department is guarding an open access point for people to look in at the market. I don't know whose idea this was, but thank you. There's a wooden structure, like a booth, so people can see into the center of the market. I believe it's where the ATM was. The sign for Canales Quality Meats stands proudly to the left, a little worse for wear, but still there. Maybe it was the framing of the experience with the booth-like structure, but it felt like being in a museum. I probably shouldn't have said that out loud. I think I annoyed a couple of people. Given that there were people looking in and crying, I kept my mouth shut after that. (It really did feel like a museum to me, and I mean that in a good way. Thanks again to whoever had the idea of opening the market for viewing.)

A final point: the fire department is guarding an open access point for people to look in at the market. I don't know whose idea this was, but thank you. There's a wooden structure, like a booth, so people can see into the center of the market. I believe it's where the ATM was. The sign for Canales Quality Meats stands proudly to the left, a little worse for wear, but still there. Maybe it was the framing of the experience with the booth-like structure, but it felt like being in a museum. I probably shouldn't have said that out loud. I think I annoyed a couple of people. Given that there were people looking in and crying, I kept my mouth shut after that. (It really did feel like a museum to me, and I mean that in a good way. Thanks again to whoever had the idea of opening the market for viewing.)

I believe it was Dan Tangherlini. He is also behind the plan to allow artists to paint murals over the broken windows. In addition to his position with the Fenty administration, he is a Capitol Hill resident, and I believe he understands the valuable role that Eastern Market has in our community.

Edited to add: It was DCFD. Brilliant idea.

Link to a post on another board. ECanales posts that they will be raming up business across the st. at Tortilla Cafe. You can get half smokes, cold cuts etc. in addition to calling them with a request for something else so they can stock it for you.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/396744

read halfway down or so.

I spoke to Senior Canales over the weekend and he said he was placing an order for chorizos and other deli meats today and should have delivery by Wednesday and then should have a limited deli selection up and running at Tortilla Cafe this week. I put in an order for 12 blood sausages which I will be cooking up at the DR Picnic.

Saturday was kind of dead at the Market, Sunday was slammed for Market Day but unfortunately most of the stalls (like the grilled food vendors) aren't EM regulars (I did buy two Jamacian meat patties to sneak into the DC United game, yummy half time snack!)

Please note, the Eastern Market meeting on Monday at Hine Jr. High has been moved to 7:30.

(Banco, great seeing you and family at the market today!)

Just got back from the meeting on Eastern Market. There were 350+ in attendance to discuss and weigh in on the proposed temporary structure for the South Hall market vendors to maintain their businesses and community presence while Eastern Market is being rebuilt. Judging from the comments from audience members and the amount of applause, most of the folks in attendance were in favor of the structure being built on the Hine Jr. High school lot across from the market. This structure would be a 245'-long steel-framed building (my husband describes it as being similar to an airplane hangar) that, to quote the proposal, "would have a ventilated shed roof, be air-conditioned for the extremes of weather and feature Cluss-inspired doorways and building features." Other points raised included support for closing 7th St SE between C and North Carolina on weekends to accommodate weekend vendors who might be displaced with the temporary structure. Those in attendance were encouraged to answer questions on these topics and submit concerns and ideas.

I did speak to Sr. Canales afterwards and he did express some disappointment with the 6-week timetable to have another community meeting. He wants to get back into business as soon as possible and is hopeful that there won't be a lot of foot-dragging. (I thought Mayor Fenty mentioned a timetable for the completion of the structure, but I can't remember what it was.)

Finally, there was significant political turnout--it was moderated by City Administrator Dan Tangherlini (Cap Hill resident), and Mayor Fenty and Councilmembers Tommy Wells, Phil Mendelsohn and David Catania were there as well. Representatives from DDOT, DCRA, and OPM were also very visible. In all I felt it was a good meeting and I was blown away by the turnout, not only from the officials but the community and the market vendors (both inside and outside vendors) as well. Way to go Eastern Market supporters, let's continue to work to bring our market back.

From the Eastern Market website:

The South Hall also houses Market Lunch which is open for breakfast and lunch Tuesdays through Saturdays and is best known for its homemade bread, blueberry pancakes and crabcakes.

http://www.easternmarket.net/index.php?id=farmersline

I think the thing is, this vendor and ALL of his employees are out of work. I don't doubt your sympathizing with thier situation. There just seemed to be a lack of empathy and compassion.

I just hope, selfishly, that ML will be up and running somewhere in the meantime, and that they will return to the Market once it re-opens. Bluebuck withdrawl ain't pretty.

Just a note on the Eastern Market website--I've talked to a number of vendors who say that the Market Manager (hired in 99 or so) was on vacation in Las Vegas when the fire happened and, again according to these inside and outside vendors, has still not returned. Perhaps this explains why the website has not been updated. :blink:

Just got back from the meeting on Eastern Market...

Debra, thanks for this report. The proposal about closing 7th street is particularly interesting. I spoke with one of the vendors on Sunday, who said that this was always an idea floating around even before the fire, but that vendors and the immediate neighborhood generally had opposed it. Now, after the fire, they are becoming more amenable to the idea. I've always thought the weekends are so crushed at Eastern Market that having cars drive through that area is not only a nuisance, it's downright dangerous. It would be great if the market could be transformed into a "zona pedonale" on those days, at least during the warm months.

Debra, thanks for this report. The proposal about closing 7th street is particularly interesting. I spoke with one of the vendors on Sunday, who said that this was always an idea floating around even before the fire, but that vendors and the immediate neighborhood generally had opposed it. Now, after the fire, they are becoming more amenable to the idea. I've always thought the weekends are so crushed at Eastern Market that having cars drive through that area is not only a nuisance, it's downright dangerous. It would be great if the market could be transformed into a "zona pedonale" on those days, at least during the warm months.

The problem, of course, is that those of us who don't live in the immediate vicinity have a hard enough time finding parking as it is. Taking away 50 parking spaces without some other accommodation will certainly complicate life for many of us eager to begin spending out money back in whatever temporary solution is found.

The problem, of course, is that those of us who don't live in the immediate vicinity have a hard enough time finding parking as it is. Taking away 50 parking spaces without some other accommodation will certainly complicate life for many of us eager to begin spending out money back in whatever temporary solution is found.
Fair enough, but so long as the outside vendors (who took up the majority of those parking spots on 7th street anyway) were given space to load in their goods and trucks (as discussed last night), I'm guessing that the real impact in terms of parking spots for folks driving in would be minimal. Of course, there's always the metro...

The metro's more or less a non-starter when Eastern Market is stop three on a a five-stop Saturday morning errand run.

I wonder what percentage of the market we non-hillies are?

Actually, I think it would be great to establish off-site parking for the vendors to free up a few more spaces. Much as I love pedestrian zones, I'm not sure it adds a lot to the block -- unless there was a need/ability to squeeze new vendors into the freed-up space.

Parking was a MAJOR problem for vendors on Saturday, or at least one vendor who got stuck in the middle of the street and couldn't pick up and leave early in the afternoon as s/he had in the past. Consequently, the day went from 6 am until 6 pm--not counting getting to and from the market. Then up the next morning to go to another market!

As much as city-wide efforts to restore Eastern Market are both heartening and appropriate, I am all for the idea that the place should serve its own neighborhood. It represents what was here before supermarket chains and represented about the only alternative to bus trips, metro rides and drives away from Capitol Hill for residents, no?

As much as city-wide efforts to restore Eastern Market are both heartening and appropriate, I am all for the idea that the place should serve its own neighborhood. It represents what was here before supermarket chains and represented about the only alternative to bus trips, metro rides and drives away from Capitol Hill for residents, no?

As nice as this might be, times have changed, the cost of space has risen, as has the amount of competition. As much as I was always annoyed with the hordes descending upon Eastern Market on the weekend from other neighborhoods (and -gasp- Maryland and Virginia) from a crowd perspective - those folks keep the market going too, and are no less a part of the landscape than we Hill residents. If more people want to check out how neat Eastern Market was, and will be again, I think that's wonderful. Crowds, illegal parking, confused driving and all.

As nice as this might be, times have changed, the cost of space has risen, as has the amount of competition. As much as I was always annoyed with the hordes descending upon Eastern Market on the weekend from other neighborhoods (and -gasp- Maryland and Virginia) from a crowd perspective - those folks keep the market going too, and are no less a part of the landscape than we Hill residents. If more people want to check out how neat Eastern Market was, and will be again, I think that's wonderful. Crowds, illegal parking, confused driving and all.
Thanks for that. The Eastern Market was a destination for me even when living out in the burbs, and I hope it will be again.

I suspect that, economically, the days when a farmer's market can serve only its immediate neighbors are long gone. As for taking public transportation - have you ever dropped a $5 dozen eggs on the metro because your hands were too full? It ain't pretty.

The Marvelous Market across the street is donating 50 cents from the sale of every baguette to the fund to rebuild the market. I asked an employee what the time frame was on it, and she didn't know of any planned ending date. Apparently, it's a promotion for the indefinite future.

This is from the Save Our Market listserve:

Jorge Canales, the proprietor of Eastern Market Grocery, will be selling (among other

things) a selection of fresh pastas, and Emilio Canales (of Canales Quality Meats) will be back selling some amount of his normal stockas well.

Market Poultry is back! ;) They're out on 7th Street in a truck with refrigerated units inside and a line of happy customers outside.

There's a white board that lists the products they currently have. They'll be back out again Thursday on the market side with their full product range, including sausages and ground turkey.

I stopped by the Canales Meats truck, which I saw out there yesterday too. They'll be out there weekends--Friday through Sunday.