Late Spring (May 21 - Jun 20)

Several of the Amish farmers outside at Eastern Market had them today. I didn't ask if they grew them :unsure:

Same at the Twin Springs market at All Souls Church on Saturday (their email said they were from auction). They inspired me to make gnocchi with peas, bacon, spring onions, ramps, a little cream, and a bit of fresh mint. It was worth the effort.

Toigo said their strawberries just came in and will be around for 5-6 weeks. A couple I sampled from a $6 quart were very good. Could be sweeter... maybe in a week or two.

Mr. MV also picked up some mustard greens for me at the Crystal City market. Very strange. There were mustard green leaves at the bottom of the plastic bag, and... weeds. A lot of weeds! Never seen that before, but ok...

Any reports of fresh peas? They had some at Columbia Heights last week but they we starchy and seemed to have been picked some days in advance.

Having samples every strawberry vender at Courthouse, Dupont (except Heinz, who seemed a little pissy about it) Mt. Pleasant and Columbia Heights in the last two weeks, I'd say the best berries were from the seemingly Latino-owned farm -- sorry, I don't know the name of the farm -- that sets up on the same side as Toigo, but further down towards Atwater's. Darn near perfect berries two weeks in a row.

One of the vendors at the Saturday U Street market (on the U Street side of the market, close to 14th st., can't remember the name) had fresh peas last week that were pretty good. Not sure about the variety. They were "shellable" if that makes sense, but they weren't big English shell peas.

Any reports of fresh peas? They had some at Columbia Heights last week but they we starchy and seemed to have been picked some days in advance.

Having samples every strawberry vender at Courthouse, Dupont (except Heinz, who seemed a little pissy about it) Mt. Pleasant and Columbia Heights in the last two weeks, I'd say the best berries were from the seemingly Latino-owned farm -- sorry, I don't know the name of the farm -- that sets up on the same side as Toigo, but further down towards Atwater's. Darn near perfect berries two weeks in a row.

C&T has English peas today at the Clarendon Market, $2/lb. Baraja had them at Crystal City yesterday.

The strawberries I picked up from Kuhn's (also at Crystal City) may have cost more than any other vendor's but they were some of the sweetest ones I've had in recent memory.

It's surprising that they didn't include Hartland Orchard in Markham (Exit 16 on Rt 66). It's the same exit you take to get to Hollin Farms, which they did include.

The other surprising thing was that all the travel times were from Mclean, not Del Ray!