Falls Church Market (1984-) - 300 Park Avenue, Open Every Saturday Year-Round until Noon

jjl

I almost always go to the Arlington FM but was thinking about trying the Falls Church FM one Saturday, mainly to try the bakery items by Kendall. Does anyone know how the produce compares at Falls Church FM vs. Arlington? And has anyone tried the bakery items by Kendall, and if so what did you think?

Toigo does the Falls Church market on Saturdays as well. We happened to be over in that area going to the Home Depot yesterday morning and stopped off at the farmers market. We used to go all the time last year when we lived in Falls church but our move to Arlington has us at Courthouse most weekends we're around.

Yesterday there was a guy at Falls Church selling crabcakes, $9 for jump lump and $5 for lump. He was frying up and offering samples that were pretty good. He also had a number of magazine articles laid out in front of him that referenced his operation, but of course I can' remember his name now.

We bought a pork shoulder roast from Cibola farms and some of their buffalo snack sticks. I'm looking forward to smoking the roast today. Cibola also had chicken, eggs, sausages in both pork and buffalo, buffalo and pork in various cuts, and goat.

I love this time of year at the markets. We brought home strawberries, yellow wax beans, basil, chinese broccoli, sugar snap peas, and red and yellow onions. Everything was plentiful and a lot of the prices are affordable.

I was at the Falls Church market this morning. My spouse refuses to go with me anymore, because of the crowds. Patience with your fellow humans is necessary, especially when the stroller gridlock hits critical mass!

Anyway, found some "donut" peaches this morning, and a nice sausage tart. One of the cheese vendors seems to have raised his prices a bit, but I found an alternative vendor who had cream cheese with caramelized onion and sun dried tomatoes! Nice flowers today too!

I usually go to the Burke market, but went to Falls Church yesterday. The layout is not as easy for me to navigate, and parking is a long walk for me, compared to Burke. I got a few things, but wasn't shopping for much. Apple cider was delicious, albeit Pasteurized. Some bicolor corn made a fabulous corn pudding last night. There were some nice tomatoes still, and beautiful green beans and rapini.

I'll go to this market in the winter, when the Fairfax County markets are closed, especially to get meat from Cibola Farms. But I'll stick with the flat layout of Burke in the meantime.

Parking is still hard to find around the community center near the stands, but much easier on the side streets or the parking lot across the other side (Maple Avenue?).

Toigo Orchards had really ripe peaches, white peaches, and nectarines. DS gave the seal of approval as he quickly scarfed 2 peaches down (they're on the small side at Toigo, but bigger at other stands). They also have donut peaches for $6 a container.

As always, grabbed a few croissants from Bonaparte, had to skip Atwater this time. :lol: There's also Bread House (aka Baguette Republic) and two other bakeries (one with homemade pies).

I don't know if this is the permanent setup now, but when I went in the off-season, there are less stands compared to the end of May, early June. It used to be just one level, but now there's a up-and-down-ness to the stands.

Dolcezza is also there this summer, but am sure if will afterwards. Just a few observations. I think this is a nice alternative to the Courthouse market for a Saturday one.

Crazy but cute story: braved the storm this past Saturday with gebaby. Just picture one gebaby (probably 30in. tall by now) in an ergo carrier in the front, wrapped by my raincoat, me holding an umbrella, him eating an Atwater muffin, while it's rainy, the wind is blowing, and water is cascading from the top of the tarps.

Also carrying 1 purse and a sack with squash blossom, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and eggplant. Surprisingly, there were quite a number of people, with a 3/4 full parking lot at around 9-9:30am. What fun.

I don't know if this will be a permanent fixture, but J. Wen Farmers and Dairy was there on Saturday, making them the first to offer milk there in the last year or so that I have been going. They will still be at Courthouse, according to the one son at the stand.

I don't know if this will be a permanent fixture, but J. Wen Farmers and Dairy was there on Saturday, making them the first to offer milk there in the last year or so that I have been going. They will still be at Courthouse, according to the one son at the stand.

There used to be another dairy there selling milk but i don' t remember if they were still there last summer.

Next week starts the summer hours of 8am to 12noon at this market. A new addition that people are drawn to is a creperie, featuring crepes from $5. Many seem to like it, as there is always a line for the past 3 weeks they've been there, although I forgot to ask if they'll still be there next week, as the new summer layout will take place next weekend.

Sunnyvale had really beautiful looking swiss chard and some tomatoes, but the only place had asparagus that I could recall was actually Black Orchard.

Fresh garlic seemed to be one of the themes this week. I'm a big fan and use about 2-3 times as much as the drier variety in my standard vegetable preparations, which involves throwing thinly-sliced garlic into a cold pan with olive oil, which I find makes more of a garlic-infused olive oil that infuses the vegetables, rather than just giving me crisp garlic chips that give me periodic garlic flavor if I happen to bite into one. The fresh gralic chips are almost chewy and add a nice nuttiness to the veggies, in addition to their garlicy goodness.

Fresh garlic seemed to be one of the themes this week. I'm a big fan and use about 2-3 times as much as the drier variety in my standard vegetable preparations, which involves throwing thinly-sliced garlic into a cold pan with olive oil, which I find makes more of a garlic-infused olive oil that infuses the vegetables, rather than just giving me crisp garlic chips that give me periodic garlic flavor if I happen to bite into one. The fresh gralic chips are almost chewy and add a nice nuttiness to the veggies, in addition to their garlicy goodness.

WE will have FRESH garlic at Bloomingdale FM at SnowBear on Sunday July 5th. And artichoke to go with it...

Yumm went to the FC Market this morning and had the lemon opal basil sorbet at dolcezza and it was EXCELLENT... i'm using baby spoons to continue on the sampleness of it all. Try it and it will make your mouth go mmm....wow.

Bought a 4 lb. bag ($10) of the whole wheat flour from the Moutoux Orchard guys. Tonight I decided to do a comparison of it and the King Arthur whole wheat and see if there was any difference in taste and to see how it baked. I used the biscuit recipe (see below) that the Moutoux guys were passing out. As you will notice from the recipe these are more like savory scones than a biscuit.

<snip>

The only thing that I would do next time is to add a little more (1/4 t) salt. Anyone else give it a try yet?

I might splurge on a bag, as they are also at the FC market, for those closer in NoVA. Although, my comparison would have to be against the new TJ flour, as that is what I currently have. Results this weekend, I suppose.

Last week, in the midst of the chill and wind that gripped DC, Mr. MV and I checked out the Falls Church Market for the first time. Today, was our second visit.

We go to markets throughout DC and NoVa, but this was a new market to us, being that prospects get restricted during the winter months. Old Town becomes very small, and Del Ray has a handful of wonderful, hearty vendors. But, I wanted more to choose from on a Saturday.

The Falls Church winter market has a great collection of varied producers. Some are familiar and multi-market, such as Cibola, Bonaparte, Blue Ridge Dairy, Sunnyside and Chris's Market Place.

Others are unique, selling chocolates, *real* deli pickles (how amazing to find this?) and other pickled items, wines, and charcuterie.

The list goes on and on.

Jamie Stackowski is proving to be very popular at the market, drawing people in with generous samples of his work. He's gregarious and helpful, and most of all, holy moly, his products are really, really good. So far, I've sampled and purchased the merguez, fresh kielbasa, smoked duck sausage and linguica.

Go to your winter markets!

Thanks for sharing the winter report. I had hoped to get to the market today - we drove down to Falls Church from MD to visit the vietnamese market and then check out Cheesetique in Arlington, but we didn't get an early enough start to make it to the market first. Just gives me a reason to go back soon!

Seems to me the last time I looked at the Falls Church govt. website for info on the Farmers Market it said the market was closed for a period after Christmas, and I thought it was closed now. Thanks monovano. Now I can go and score some more Cibola Farm buffalo steaks (ate my last one from the freezer on Sunday).

Seems to me the last time I looked at the Falls Church govt. website for info on the Farmers Market it said the market was closed for a period after Christmas, and I thought it was closed now.

Nope. Year-round market here, with less vendors in the winter like Dupont. I like that it starts at 8am in the summer and 9am in the winter.

Little darling, it's been a long, cold lonely winter.......

And finally, back at the markets.

I scored Chris's Marketplace empanadas, Sunnyside sweet potatoes and leeks, Stackowski merquez, and apples. The market seemed a bit slow; perhaps a few less producers. Nonetheless, it's good to be back!

In between the belts of rain, Mr. MV and I enjoyed the market today. Still not full of producers, it has remarkable products. We picked up collards and sweet potatoes from Sunnyside, kosher dill pickles (and I"ve been wanting a Cuban sandwich every since), beef empanadas from Chris's, and smoked kielbasa from Stachowski's.

In between the belts of rain, Mr. MV and I enjoyed the market today. Still not full of producers, it has remarkable products.

Ah, monavano, I can't wait to see the pictures you capture during the summer market here -- it blooms like its surrounding landscape.

I visited this with AGM and NQD about a month or so ago. First time. I was astounded. I am also surprised that the FM in Loudoun suck utterly, especially compared to FCFM. Leesburg isn't too bad, I had an enjoyable 45 minutes (mostly near the winery stand) but for the most part the FM I have visited in Loudoun are pretty skimpy. It's ironic when you think about it...

I had a successful mid-morning foray to the FC market this past Saturday. Saw a couple friends, and purchased fresh fettucini and Stachoski Brand Lamb Merguez, which became pasta with Lamb Merguez Bolognese that evening. Yum. Didn't see many ripe tomatos, but did get some green zebras. Oh, and a couple of crab cakes.

Last Saturday bought some really delicious plums from Toigo (and I'm not usually a plum person!) Also purchased a box of white nectarines from Toigo. Also great (as usual!) There seems to be fewer white nectarines as compared to peaches. Maybe the season is winding down?

Checked out the Market for the first time in years. It has grown a lot it is a bit crowded but it has great vendors. I bought a variety pack of sausage from Jaime Stachowski it was the best sausage I have had in long time. The breakfast sausage is awesome and the chorizo had spice but a well rounded taste. This is worth the crowds and the trip to the Falls Church Market.

With the closing of many seasonal markets, we'll be going to Falls Church a good deal more.

We went home with:

Stachowski merguez, sweet Italian sausage with wine and fresh kielbasa. BTW...the bangars are excellent.

Deep, blood-red radishes, red lettuce that was deep purple, Chris's empanadas and yams.

How many vendors are there during the winter months? I'm thinking of stopping in on Saturday am.

Plenty :) If I had to guess, at least 20 or so. It's got what you need, but of course runneth over in the warmer months. You'll see many familiar producers, such as Sunnyside, Stachowski, Bonaparte, Blue Ridge, Atwaters, Chris's, Cibola....

Great market, easy parking.

A friendly reminder to bundle up and get thee to your farmers markets this winter!

Last Sat. was bone-chilling cold, and the producers were so thankful to everyone that trekked out to market. FC has lots to offer all year long. Wintertime is about half the market, but you can find just about anything.

We picked up:

Stachowski merquez and a turkey/cranberry sausage (the fried up samples are always bountiful)

Empanada from Chris's Marketplace

Beets and leeks from Sunnyside

White yams

Mozzarella from Blue Ridge

Not having gone for over a year, this market felt different. I really enjoyed seeing the baklava lady again, the familiar stands and seeing the new addition of the pickle stand and Clear Springs Creamery, but something felt lacking. Maybe it was feeling like this was the trendy place to be -- people were milling around A LOT and chatting with each other instead of checking the wares of the farmers or smelling the soaps or really getting to know the farmers. Sure, the master gardeners' attention was in full attendance, but shouldn't the farmers who have been through this also be engaged? Maybe I am the only one who felt this, but at least at this market, I felt a little bit of a loss on Saturday. I do feel quite blessed by the bounty available there and still feel this is a great market though.

But the Spring onions were delicious, The Stachowski Italian Hots were quite nice, the sun was shining.. Only one complaint, little tiny bunches of lovely asparagus @ $5 a bunch, seriously like 7-9 stalks.

Is the market full at this point, ie: the back lot full of producers?

I personally find the FC market to be bonifide.

I bought gorgeous, thick asparagus from Spring Valley (Old Town) for 4 bunches/$10. I weighed it at home and it's about $5 per pound. I agree that sometimes those bunches are ridiculously small for the price. I saw rhubarb that was about $1 per stalk and passed. It's probably not a terrible price, but I had spending fatigue at that point.

But the Spring onions were delicious, The Stachowski Italian Hots were quite nice, the sun was shining.. Only one complaint, little tiny bunches of lovely asparagus @ $5 a bunch, seriously like 7-9 stalks.

Say hi next time! I know - I couldn't spend money on asparagus either, as much as I wanted to. Apples range from $2.50-2.79/lb here. A pint of strawberries was $3 and a quart ranging from $5-5.50. I really had a hard time buying. I did eventually buy an asian pear from Black Rock Orchard that was absolutely divine. The hot pepper brats sample smelled delicious at the Stachowski stand too...

And yes, the full market is back.

Is the market full at this point, ie: the back lot full of producers?

I was at the market yesterday for the first time since Thanksgiving and booths were set up in both legs of the "L" -- stretching as far as is typical. However, I felt somewhat unsettled since some vendors were in a different location (i.e. one of the soap vendors had moved closer to the intersection) and two pickle vendors have been added, one at each end of the L. I can't figure which vendors have dropped out. Stachowski, the sausage vendor, was selling duck sausage. They had been promising to bring duck sausage "next week" from late August until I stopped going the last Saturday before Thanksgiving. I hope the sausage is good after that build up!

Lettuces and spring onions were glorious. The market was awash in strawberries, the Sweet Charlie variety, and while, the berries had lots of intense flavor, they weren't as sweet as the organic Driscoll-brand strawberries I've been getting at Whole Food lately. No problem. I macerated the berries in a little Grand Marnier and sugar and spooned them over pound cake from Valentine (also at the FC market) for our holiday dessert.

Incidentally, my spring onions got used in last night's entree: a lovely warm vinaigrette over grilled salmon. That was the only farmer's market product that went into the recipe since it's still too early for local cherry tomatoes and I don't recall ever seeing celery locally.

it's still too early for local cherry tomatoes and I don't recall ever seeing celery locally.

1) There are a lot of farmers with greenhouses these days and since tomatoes fetch top dollar, they like to grow cherry tomatoes which have been for sale for over a month. Same with the smaller number of hydroponic operations, such as Mock's.

2) New Morning Farm sells the kind of celery you find in supermarkets (organic)--it's rare since the crop takes 90 days to mature (if I recall correctly). Next Step Produce sells a different type of organic celery with a more intense flavor, skinnier stalks and bigger, plentiful leaves.

1) There are a lot of farmers with greenhouses these days and since tomatoes fetch top dollar, they like to grow cherry tomatoes which have been for sale for over a month. Same with the smaller number of hydroponic operations, such as Mock's.

2) New Morning Farm sells the kind of celery you find in supermarkets (organic)--it's rare since the crop takes 90 days to mature (if I recall correctly). Next Step Produce sells a different type of organic celery with a more intense flavor, skinnier stalks and bigger, plentiful leaves.

Help, please. I don't recognize any of those names. Are they vendors at the Falls Church or McLean markets? If so, where does each set up? Thanks.

It was quite hot this morning, so just the essentials; tomatoes and containers of feta and ricotta cheeses. Crabcakes were tempting me for a lunch treat, but the young lady behind the counter was much too busy chatting with her friend to wait on anyone, so I left without.

Will Artley of Pizzeria Orso is set up at the Falls Church market this a.m. doing some samples -- I was there too early for the food, but I did get his peach-bourbon pie recipe and a $10 coupon while I was there. Hurry up while there's still time!

Saw the first of the white salad turnips this weekend. This wasn't the Tokyo variety; can't remember the name, it had an H in it, and they have a slight horseradish scent to them. Can't wait to cook those babies up!

Hakurei. Favorite vegetable of the daughter of Alice Waters when she was little.