Annandale Market

I made a quick stop at opening day of the Annandale Farmer's Market. While it's not up to full speed yet, there were still a good number of stands set up. Lots of herbs, flowers, and hanging baskets. Edible selections consisted of mostly radishes, salad greens, spinach, kohlrabi, spring onions, and strawberries. In addition there were a few stands of baked goods and two different farmers were offering a variety of meat - pork, beef, lamb, uncured bacon, eggs, etc. And my favorite - the kettle corn people :) - were there - it's some damn expensive popcorn but OMG is it GOOD!

This market is in the Mason District Park on Columbia Pike (about a mile further south from Han Sung Oak, for those who attended the Korean dinner there), and is open Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. It is a grower/producer only market.

I made a quick stop at opening day of the Annandale Farmer's Market.  While it's not up to full speed yet, there were still a good number of stands set up.  Lots of herbs, flowers, and hanging baskets.  Edible selections consisted of mostly radishes, salad greens, spinach, kohlrabi, spring onions, and strawberries.  In addition there were a few stands of baked goods and two different farmers were offering a variety of meat - pork, beef, lamb, uncured bacon, eggs, etc.  And my favorite - the kettle corn people  :) - were there - it's some damn expensive popcorn but OMG is it GOOD!

This market is in the Mason District Park on Columbia Pike (about a mile further south from Han Sung Oak, for those who attended the Korean dinner there), and is open Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.  It is a grower/producer only market.

Bonaparte bakery was at Annandale last year, great place to pick up a wedge of quiche on the way to work last year. Interestingly, some of the same producers come to the Thursday Annandale Market and the Saturday Falls Church market but the prices can be lower at Annandale. The buffalo trail sticks from Cibola Farms are like some kind of virtuous Slim Jim. Delicious and a bargain at $1.25. Available at either market.

Bonaparte bakery was at Annandale last year, great place to pick up a wedge of quiche on the way to work last year.  Interestingly, some of the same producers come to the Thursday Annandale Market and the Saturday Falls Church market but the prices can be lower at Annandale.  The buffalo trail sticks from Cibola Farms are like some kind of virtuous Slim Jim.  Delicious and a bargain at $1.25.  Available at either market.

Bonaparte is back - I didn't get anything from them, but from a distance their bread and baked goods looked very good! I didn't try Cibola Farms, but Valentine's Country Bakery had samples of their beef sticks and they were very good - 5 for $5. I picked up some ground lamb from them and admired their various sweet breads (the baked variety) and cakes and Pumpkin Whoopie Pies :)

This is a Thursday morning market, so I usually can't get to it. But stopped in this morning. Lots of good corn, bicolor and white, lots of tomatoes, one vendor there has a gorgeous selection of peppers -- probably a dozen varieties of sweet and hot -- and great squashes. Peaches are coming in, cherries and berries galore. If you want some stuff for your cookout tonight, there's still time - it's open til noon.

• Like 1