Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hi fellow board members,

My name is Elizabeth, I'm a  long time lurker who figured it was about time I contributed.  I grew up near Philadelphia but moved down to Montgomery County years back to work for NIH and am currently with NIAMS (Arthritis Institute) and live in North Bethesda.  Not a great cook though Penzey's has really helped improve my game but I  love to eat out though I am usually limited by my budget to the more affordable bites and really appreciate the recommendations. I don't really know anybody "in the business" aside from I knew Andy Myers way back when he worked at Zenith comics and am proud of how far he's come!

Hi all,

This is my first post for this community. My name is Nuttha but please call me Mea. I am an Asian girl and I just recently graduated in culinary field for associate degree from AI. I am good in Asian cuisine especially Thai food however I am able to cook for international cuisine as well. I am also able to do the baking well. At this moment, I am looking for a job in culinary field. I notice that this website is a nice community. I will be a good friend and good member for the community. Please feel free to reply my topic in the future.

Cheers.

Mae

• Like 2

Hi all,

This is my first post for this community. My name is Nuttha but please call me Mea. I am an Asian girl and I just recently graduated in culinary field for associate degree from AI. I am good in Asian cuisine especially Thai food however I am able to cook for international cuisine as well. I am also able to do the baking well. At this moment, I am looking for a job in culinary field. I notice that this website is a nice community. I will be a good friend and good member for the community. Please feel free to reply my topic in the future.

Cheers.

Mae

Hi Nuttha,

Is it Mea or Mae? You typed both!

Welcome, and we're all glad to have you here, and looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers,

Rocks

Howdy All!

I'm a bit of a lurker, but it was about time to join up. I'm Ed Hardy, a chef here in the DMV. I've been around a bit, originally from Richmond, long residences in C'ville, DC, and NYC. Back here for the long haul, and I've finally got my own business venture, the Bacon N Ed's Mobile Gourmet Kitchen. Here to keep in the loop about events, recruit some help, and confirm/deny vicious rumors about my colleagues.

Cheers!
Ed

post-11584-0-74610900-1439232358_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hey Y'all!

I've been a lurker here for years but for some reason I just got off my are and registered.

I'm originally from the midwest and moved out here 20 years ago. I spend most of my time in the Alexandria neighborhoods of Del Ray (home) or Old Town.

I've been in love with the DC food scene since I first strolled into town. I am always looking for new experiences or hole in the wall places that are doing great things!

My favorite food experience has to be the secret pop up dinner parties in people's homes that a collection of chefs in Portland, Oregon were doing back in the early 1990s. It was awesome.

I have always wanted to join the discussion but really don't feel like I have enough experience or chops to have a vslid opinion. Y'all are so kind so perhaps, I consider dropping a thought once in a while! :)

Til then!

• Like 3

Hi all,

My name's Katie and I work in DC.  My friends and I have a Monday night dinner group and like to explore the various restaurants in the area, primarily in MoCo and NoVA.  At present, we've visited 183, some are once and done while others have become favorites that we keep going back to.  I'm always looking for new restaurants to try and stumbled across this community.  Hope to learn more and possibly share some knowledge based on my experiences.

• Like 3

Hello!

My wife and I just moved to DC in July, hailing from Milwaukee, WI.

We're both lifetime gardeners and pretty inspired eaters. Enjoyed our hometown's growing restaurant scene, but blown away by the volume and variety here. My wife is a talented baker, and I err on the side of savory. We know more about beer, cheese and whiskey than wine, but want to learn more.

I think about Asian food, generally, than almost anything else.

Look forward to exploring and learning more with help from all of you.

Cheers!

Steve

• Like 1

Hello!

My wife and I just moved to DC in July, hailing from Milwaukee, WI.

We're both lifetime gardeners and pretty inspired eaters. Enjoyed our hometown's growing restaurant scene, but blown away by the volume and variety here. My wife is a talented baker, and I err on the side of savory. We know more about beer, cheese and whiskey than wine, but want to learn more.

I think about Asian food, generally, than almost anything else.

Look forward to exploring and learning more with help from all of you.

Cheers!

Steve

The two important things:

Do you know Kings Go Forth?

Help us with Milwaukee! That city should be split out from the rest of the state and have its own thread.

We are all at your service, me in particular (it's my job!) Thanks for joining, Steve, and I personally look forward to reading your reviews. Just because you aren't familiar with an area doesn't mean you can't have an opinion; quite the opposite, it will be fascinating to see your take on things, knowing that you're an intelligent person starting pretty much from a base of zero (Milwaukee Frozen Custard notwithstanding).

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam, I did work at Preserve in Annapolis up until about 2 weeks ago, I took the job to experience what it was really like to work in a kitchen. Ive been cooking for friends and family for as long as I remember and have a passion for creating food that is unique and different. I have a masters in photography and am by academic rigor a fine artist, I came to make some new friends and maybe just talk about food and learn a little more about the viewers/eaters point of view.

I really can't wait to participate in this forum, it seems very cool.

S

• Like 1

ello everyone,

My name is Sam, I did work at Preserve in Annapolis up until about 2 weeks ago, I took the job to experience what it was really like to work in a kitchen. Ive been cooking for friends and family for as long as I remember and have a passion for creating food that is unique and different. I have a masters in photography and am by academic rigor a fine artist, I came to make some new friends and maybe just talk about food and learn a little more about the viewers/eaters point of view.

I really can't wait to participate in this forum, it seems very cool.

S

Welcome, Sam, and please write me if you need anything. We have in our ranks the ex-Assistant Curator of Photography from the National Gallery of Art, and several of us have a serious interest in art as well. You'll find good people here and lots of interesting topics in a variety of categories.

Cheers,

Rocks

Hi--

I am a long time lurker feeling confident enough to post. I am a Frederick resident, but work in Arlington and frequently go out in DC and Baltimore so hope to contribute for all these locations. I'm a jazz and classical music obsessive (have season tickets to both the Baltimore and National Symphonies). I was a radio DJ through college and grad school (first punk rock, then electronic--my music tastes have gone on a journey).

Regards!

• Like 2

Hi all,

I'm a 10+ year resident of Frederick, MD, previously residing in Charlottesville, VA for about 8 years.  ArlFred is my brother and has been pointing me to this forum for years for rock-solid recommendations.  We'll probably post in many of the same threads.  In addition to going out, I greatly enjoy cooking and like to think I'm not terrible at it.  I'm open to attempting just about any dish of any ethnicity, as long as I can get my hands on the ingredients (which, even in Frederick, gets easier every year).

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

• Like 2

Hi everyone-

Long-timer lurker here. I grew up in Herndon, moved to Arlington for 10 years after college and finally made it all the way into the city in December 2014.  Currently live in Mt. Vernon Triangle with my soon-to-be (November 21) wife. Huge sports fan (Caps and DC United season ticket holder), semi-adventurous eater and always searching for places that are "worth it" from both a time and money perspective. Looking forward to being a more active member!

Cheers!

Matt

Hello all ... I'm Barry ... frequent overeater ... lover of foods beyond bologna up to fine dining and everything in between.  In addition to eating ... I'd love to meet folks who are researching starting something on their own ... particularly those that want to get down to the economics of how to build a successful single unit (likely breakfast/lunch sandwich type joint with maybe a fri/sat fine dining vibe for me)

Anyway, long time stalker ... first time registerererer

• Like 1

First Post. Hey Don Rockwell. Com friends, I'm Eric and I am a a partner in a company that imports small family estate wines from different regions throughout New Zealand. Our company is called Pacific Prime Wines. I live in Silver Spring or Silver Sprung as some like to call it as it's starting to buzz. I look forward to getting involved with Don Rockwell.com

• Like 1

First Post. Hey Don Rockwell. Com friends, I'm Eric and I am a partner in a company that imports small family estate wines from different regions throughout New Zealand. Our company is called Pacific Prime Wines. I live in Silver Spring or Silver Sprung as some like to call it as it's starting to buzz. I look forward to getting involved with Don Rockwell.com

• Like 2

Hi,

I am brand new to this, having read about it on Mark Furstenburg's blog.  I am mostly in it because I love, not like, to eat.  Also, for 15 years, I was a part-owner of now deceased Reeves restaurant and bakery.  I still am attentive to industry developments.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to DC ashamed to admit that I've lived here for almost a year without really getting to know DC at all.  Such is life. I recently decided that I need to get out and explore more in 2016 and this site came up in posts on a Chicago Foodie forum that I often used when I lived there.

Sadly, I have already decided that 2016 will be a year of frugality (paying down debt and building investments being the priority).  I'm giving myself a budget of just $125 a month for eating/drinking out --- so I suspect that I will be searching out the best happy hour and lunch deals.  But I'm eager to get as much quality and variety as I can within that budget.

I am very much looking forward to learning more about the DC metro food scene.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

This is my first-ever post to Don Rockwell. I am a longtime foodie who's been living in the DMV area for the last 2.5 years. I help run a dining meetup group (DC Culinary Explorers, if you're interested) where we host 2-3 events a week, mostly on the weekends. I pretty much like all cuisines. Right now, I am really into tasting menus. Other than food, I love making new friends and learning about new cultures. I try to do that through food events (of course!), conversations, travel, and laughter. One love. :)

Best,

Khoi

P.S. If you're curious, my name is pronounced like the Japanese carp, the Koi fish. The "h" in my name is silent.

Hi - new user here.  Looking forward to participating.

Zach

Good afternoon.  Long time lurker to the forum.  I enjoy trying out new spots in DC and environs.

Welcome, Zach and ccole - please don't hesitate to ask our members if there's anything you need, either on the Help Needed thread, or you can also write me via PM.

Hi all, Gwendolyn here, a long time lurker, food industry/history/creation enthusiast, consistently dancing on the edges of the industry as I've moved through academia. Upon moving to DC for a final degree, I discovered this board through egullet.org, and it has proven to be a most valuable resource (and entertaining, of course). While unable to travel abroad during my studies, what a joy it has been to taste other sunsets and landscapes through the region's restaurants, and if I'm lucky, learn about the sacrifices the cooks, owners, and dishes have had to make to assimilate and thrive. This year marks a transition where I may well embark on a journey back into working in a professional kitchen, setting my degree aside. I look forward to sharing stories and knowledge (if I have any to give) with this community!

Hello. Long time lurker, new member. Looking forward to being able to post my own food & dining questions and provide answers to your questions.

Love the confidence! Welcome, curls. :)

Just so we know what types of questions to ask, what are your areas of expertise, both cognitively and locationally?

Love the confidence! Welcome, curls. :)

Just so we know what types of questions to ask, what are your areas of expertise, both cognitively and locationally?

Thank you for the welcome to your site! I have a bit of experience in cooking, baking, and candy making... hopefully I can add to those discussions on this forum.

• Like 1

Hi all my name is David.  Recently really taken an interest in food and expanding my palate, and have really made it a point to get into the DC restaurant scene over the past year.  Looking forward to chatting with like minded individuals on this site!

Hello everyone! Long time lurker and figured now is the time to finally get an account. Have a couple friends that are in the industry around town so they tend to lead me around food and drink wise. I would say my beer would be my specialty so hopefully I can help out with those questions.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm a local to Bethesda and have been interested in food as long as I can remember. Love venturing into DC  to eat and the restaurant scene here more than satisfies. There's so much exciting stuff happening in this city: we've got our own sassy food critic, trendy restaurants literally stacked upon each other, and most importantly really really amazing food ( From the Seafood Platter at Fiola Marie to bethesda's own Chicken on the Run). 

Can't wait to dish with all of y'all. And yes, that pun was very intended :P 

• Like 1

Hi, I'm Jeff, and I joined the forum when the guy in front of me got the last chicken at Pollo Rico and I had to wait 20 minutes for a fresh batch (still worth it).

My special interests are coffee and beer (but I'm not a psychopath?) and as a new parent, I'm most interested to learn about good takeout in Arlington. Current rotation: Pollo Rico, Bangkok 54, Taqueria El Poblano, Delhi Club, Ravi Kabob, Peter Chang, and Pete's Apizza.

New member here. Philly area. Came to DR through a mention on eGullet. Looks like a great place

Cheers!

Awesome - please help us with the Philly listings! I only get up there a couple of times a year, and since I always have to have a cheesesteak (I was born in Philly), and usually a stop at Zahav, I don't get to explore too many new places.

Hey, everyone! New to both DC and this forum, but looking forward to exploring both. I wouldn't say I have specific expertise in anything, so I'm mostly looking forward to hearing advice from all of you, but I have gotten in a few amazing restaurants since I've been in the city, so I'd love to contribute some of my experiences, as well!

Hello everyone,

I decided to introduce myself. I will be moving to Washington for a few months at the end of April, and am looking forward to knowing more about the dining scene there. I will also be traveling to some places in Virginia (Richmond, Norfolk, Williamsburg); New York, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Boston at least during my time in the US. Looking forward to any recommendations at these cities from any of the forum members!

Hey all. Ive been a kind of fan from afar of this message board for some time now - I often saw posts referenced on other blogs and so on. Not sure why it took me so long to sign up and start posting. Im already loving the interaction and community I've seen so far. Hope I can contribute something. I'm mostly found in the north Arlington area and Capitol Hill, with occasional work stops in Hampden (Baltimore). Not in the industry, though did a little back of house and retail in high school/college.

...btw, anyone know where I can grab a decent bite to eat?

Greetings!  I'm TMHALL - a name which is both generic enough and easily recognizable if anyone's worried that I'm hiding behind a pseudonym.  I love, love, love food and am eager to be a part of this community.  Looking forward to all good things!

Thank you for having me,

TMHALL

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TMHALL said:

Thank you for having me,

Thank *you* for having *us*. I'd like to write all new members individually - I'm out of town at the moment, but will be back soon, and am still online everyday for several hours - you all will be hearing from me, but I wanted to say "Thank you!" publicly for joining our community. You are every bit as welcome here as our cherished, veteran members. Cheers! Rocks

Hi Everyone

First post! 

A little about me, I'm a 28 year old living in Courthouse/Arlington(Typical terrible millennial!), working now for the DC Government. Wasn't really into food but after earning money and realizing a mediocre meal costs X but for a few extra dollars you could get a much better one, I started exploring. I really put it into overdrive about a year and a half ago with a friend who was moving away. We used to do one new restaurant a week, every Wednesday. Started with mostly the Eater 38, even going as far as searching the archives and creating a spreadsheets for older restaurants.  I'm making a pilgrimage to Alinea in Chicago in June, might wear my GoPro during the entire meal (kidding). 

A few of my dining out philosophies

1. I only care about the food, service/decor is a distant 2nd or 3rd. Of course there are exceptions like waiting 1.5 for your meal but I don't let something like asking repeatedly for more water or brusque tone bother me (i.e. some of my friends find the ordering at Pho 75 offputing, to me its just cultural)

2. I don't post on yelp or any other forum(until now), I think complaining on yelp is weak (everyone is a tough guy behind a screen), DC I think does a fantastic job regarding service and in the rare occurrence of an issue most places go above and beyond to rectify the situation. 

3. I don't mind spending money on a great meal but also love the lower end as well. I majored in Econ so I'm always trying to find that perfect $ for quality equilibrium.

Looking forward to posting and getting to know all of you all 

• Like 3