1582 replies to this topic

#1551 sistinas

sistinas

Adrian Dantley

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi fellow board members,

My name is Elizabeth, I'm a  long time lurker who figured it was about time I contributed.  I grew up near Philadelphia but moved down to Montgomery County years back to work for NIH and am currently with NIAMS (Arthritis Institute) and live in North Bethesda.  Not a great cook though Penzey's has really helped improve my game but I  love to eat out though I am usually limited by my budget to the more affordable bites and really appreciate the recommendations. I don't really know anybody "in the business" aside from I knew Andy Myers way back when he worked at Zenith comics and am proud of how far he's come!

#1552 Al Dente

Al Dente

CEO of Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Welcome Sistinas!

Michael O

Praise be!

#1553 NPMelody

NPMelody

I Just Made My First Post. Beware, World!

• 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:08 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post for this community. My name is Nuttha but please call me Mea. I am an Asian girl and I just recently graduated in culinary field for associate degree from AI. I am good in Asian cuisine especially Thai food however I am able to cook for international cuisine as well. I am also able to do the baking well. At this moment, I am looking for a job in culinary field. I notice that this website is a nice community. I will be a good friend and good member for the community. Please feel free to reply my topic in the future.

Cheers.

Mae

• DonRocks and Genevieve like this

#1554 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post for this community. My name is Nuttha but please call me Mea. I am an Asian girl and I just recently graduated in culinary field for associate degree from AI. I am good in Asian cuisine especially Thai food however I am able to cook for international cuisine as well. I am also able to do the baking well. At this moment, I am looking for a job in culinary field. I notice that this website is a nice community. I will be a good friend and good member for the community. Please feel free to reply my topic in the future.

Cheers.

Mae

Hi Nuttha,

Is it Mea or Mae? You typed both! 

Welcome, and we're all glad to have you here, and looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers,

Rocks

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

Post just 10 times for free, unlimited access to the best single-city Dining Guide ever written (sorry Michelin Paris, but I do acknowledge that you're our most formidable competitor),

#1555 ChefEdHoo

ChefEdHoo

• 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Howdy All!

I'm a bit of a lurker, but it was about time to join up. I'm Ed Hardy, a chef here in the DMV. I've been around a bit, originally from Richmond, long residences in C'ville, DC, and NYC. Back here for the long haul, and I've finally got my own business venture, the Bacon N Ed's Mobile Gourmet Kitchen. Here to keep in the loop about events, recruit some help, and confirm/deny vicious rumors about my colleagues. 

Cheers!
Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• 11846569_950631818329766_4753493080156338811_n.jpg

• Genevieve and GaijinRamenShop like this

#1556 DelRayDiva

DelRayDiva

Elvin Hayes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

Hey Y'all!

I've been a lurker here for years but for some reason I just got off my are and registered.

I'm originally from the midwest and moved out here 20 years ago. I spend most of my time in the Alexandria neighborhoods of Del Ray (home) or Old Town.

I've been in love with the DC food scene since I first strolled into town. I am always looking for new experiences or hole in the wall places that are doing great things!

My favorite food experience has to be the secret pop up dinner parties in people's homes that a collection of chefs in Portland, Oregon were doing back in the early 1990s. It was awesome.

I have always wanted to join the discussion but really don't feel like I have enough experience or chops to have a vslid opinion. Y'all are so kind so perhaps, I consider dropping a thought once in a while! :)

Til then!
  • DonRocks, Genevieve and GaijinRamenShop like this

#1557 Katya4me

Katya4me

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

My name's Katie and I work in DC.  My friends and I have a Monday night dinner group and like to explore the various restaurants in the area, primarily in MoCo and NoVA.  At present, we've visited 183, some are once and done while others have become favorites that we keep going back to.  I'm always looking for new restaurants to try and stumbled across this community.  Hope to learn more and possibly share some knowledge based on my experiences.   

• DonRocks, Genevieve and GaijinRamenShop like this

New restaurants tried as of 02/01/2016: 205

Got any suggestions? :)

#1558 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

At present, we've visited 183

:blink:

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

Post just 10 times for free, unlimited access to the best single-city Dining Guide ever written (sorry Michelin Paris, but I do acknowledge that you're our most formidable competitor),

#1559 Katya4me

Katya4me

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

:blink:

I created a spreadsheet to track them and it dates back to 2008 but I may have missed some.   Our current total is 341 dinners and I have about 25 restaurants that look like they would be interesting to visit in the future.

• squidsdc and porcupine like this

New restaurants tried as of 02/01/2016: 205

Got any suggestions? :)

#1560 wahoo2000

wahoo2000

shrimp

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hello-

My family and I moved to Philadelphia from New York City this summer and are looking forward to exploring the local dining scene.  We ate our way through NYC for nine years so I can comment on many of that city's restaurants as well.

• Genevieve likes this

#1561 SteveSSchwartz

SteveSSchwartz

• 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hello!

My wife and I just moved to DC in July, hailing from Milwaukee, WI.

We're both lifetime gardeners and pretty inspired eaters. Enjoyed our hometown's growing restaurant scene, but blown away by the volume and variety here. My wife is a talented baker, and I err on the side of savory. We know more about beer, cheese and whiskey than wine, but want to learn more. 

I think about Asian food, generally, than almost anything else. 

Look forward to exploring and learning more with help from all of you. 

Cheers!

Steve

• Genevieve likes this

#1562 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hello!

My wife and I just moved to DC in July, hailing from Milwaukee, WI.

We're both lifetime gardeners and pretty inspired eaters. Enjoyed our hometown's growing restaurant scene, but blown away by the volume and variety here. My wife is a talented baker, and I err on the side of savory. We know more about beer, cheese and whiskey than wine, but want to learn more. 

I think about Asian food, generally, than almost anything else. 

Look forward to exploring and learning more with help from all of you. 

Cheers!

Steve

The two important things:

Do you know Kings Go Forth?

Help us with Milwaukee! That city should be split out from the rest of the state and have its own thread.

We are all at your service, me in particular (it's my job!) Thanks for joining, Steve, and I personally look forward to reading your reviews. Just because you aren't familiar with an area doesn't mean you can't have an opinion; quite the opposite, it will be fascinating to see your take on things, knowing that you're an intelligent person starting pretty much from a base of zero (Milwaukee Frozen Custard notwithstanding).

#1563 GaijinRamenShop

GaijinRamenShop

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Greetings! We are Gaijin Ramen Shop- a small ramen joint in the heart of Cherrydale (neighborhood in Arlington) VA. 

Our website is: Gaijinramenshop.com

Address:

3800 Lee Highway

Arlington VA 22207

Thank you!Gaijin Ramen Shop Logo.jpg

• ktmoomau likes this

#1564 SDRivers

SDRivers

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hello everyone, 

My name is Sam, I did work at Preserve in Annapolis up until about 2 weeks ago, I took the job to experience what it was really like to work in a kitchen. Ive been cooking for friends and family for as long as I remember and have a passion for creating food that is unique and different. I have a masters in photography and am by academic rigor a fine artist, I came to make some new friends and maybe just talk about food and learn a little more about the viewers/eaters point of view. 

I really can't wait to participate in this forum, it seems very cool.

S

• DonRocks likes this

#1565 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

ello everyone, 

My name is Sam, I did work at Preserve in Annapolis up until about 2 weeks ago, I took the job to experience what it was really like to work in a kitchen. Ive been cooking for friends and family for as long as I remember and have a passion for creating food that is unique and different. I have a masters in photography and am by academic rigor a fine artist, I came to make some new friends and maybe just talk about food and learn a little more about the viewers/eaters point of view. 

I really can't wait to participate in this forum, it seems very cool.

S

Welcome, Sam, and please write me if you need anything. We have in our ranks the ex-Assistant Curator of Photography from the National Gallery of Art, and several of us have a serious interest in art as well. You'll find good people here and lots of interesting topics in a variety of categories.

Cheers,

Rocks

#1566 ArlFred

ArlFred

Ted Williams

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hi--

I am a long time lurker feeling confident enough to post. I am a Frederick resident, but work in Arlington and frequently go out in DC and Baltimore so hope to contribute for all these locations. I'm a jazz and classical music obsessive (have season tickets to both the Baltimore and National Symphonies). I was a radio DJ through college and grad school (first punk rock, then electronic--my music tastes have gone on a journey). 

Regards!

• DonRocks and Pat like this

#1567 Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong

Brooks Robinson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm a 10+ year resident of Frederick, MD, previously residing in Charlottesville, VA for about 8 years.  ArlFred is my brother and has been pointing me to this forum for years for rock-solid recommendations.  We'll probably post in many of the same threads.  In addition to going out, I greatly enjoy cooking and like to think I'm not terrible at it.  I'm open to attempting just about any dish of any ethnicity, as long as I can get my hands on the ingredients (which, even in Frederick, gets easier every year).

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

• DonRocks and Pat like this

#1568 MattCraft

MattCraft

Wilt Chamberlain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi everyone-

Long-timer lurker here. I grew up in Herndon, moved to Arlington for 10 years after college and finally made it all the way into the city in December 2014.  Currently live in Mt. Vernon Triangle with my soon-to-be (November 21) wife. Huge sports fan (Caps and DC United season ticket holder), semi-adventurous eater and always searching for places that are "worth it" from both a time and money perspective. Looking forward to being a more active member!

Cheers!

Matt

#1569 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

... DC United season ticket holder ...

VAMOS UNITED!

Signed, 20-year season ticket holder.

#1570 caboosesw

caboosesw

Brooks Robinson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Hello all ... I'm Barry ... frequent overeater ... lover of foods beyond bologna up to fine dining and everything in between.  In addition to eating ... I'd love to meet folks who are researching starting something on their own ... particularly those that want to get down to the economics of how to build a successful single unit (likely breakfast/lunch sandwich type joint with maybe a fri/sat fine dining vibe for me)

Anyway, long time stalker ... first time registerererer

• DonRocks likes this

#1571 Eplatt10

Eplatt10

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

First Post. Hey Don Rockwell. Com friends, I'm Eric and I am a a partner in a company that imports small family estate wines from different regions throughout New Zealand. Our company is called Pacific Prime Wines. I live in Silver Spring or Silver Sprung as some like to call it as it's starting to buzz. I look forward to getting involved with Don Rockwell.com
  • ktmoomau likes this

#1572 Eplatt10

Eplatt10

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

First Post. Hey Don Rockwell. Com friends, I'm Eric and I am a partner in a company that imports small family estate wines from different regions throughout New Zealand. Our company is called Pacific Prime Wines. I live in Silver Spring or Silver Sprung as some like to call it as it's starting to buzz. I look forward to getting involved with Don Rockwell.com
  • DonRocks and squidsdc like this

#1573 ja729

ja729

• 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

I am brand new to this, having read about it on Mark Furstenburg's blog.  I am mostly in it because I love, not like, to eat.  Also, for 15 years, I was a part-owner of now deceased Reeves restaurant and bakery.  I still am attentive to industry developments.

• DonRocks and squidsdc like this

#1574 MissEliza

MissEliza

• 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to DC ashamed to admit that I've lived here for almost a year without really getting to know DC at all.  Such is life. I recently decided that I need to get out and explore more in 2016 and this site came up in posts on a Chicago Foodie forum that I often used when I lived there.

Sadly, I have already decided that 2016 will be a year of frugality (paying down debt and building investments being the priority).  I'm giving myself a budget of just $125 a month for eating/drinking out --- so I suspect that I will be searching out the best happy hour and lunch deals.  But I'm eager to get as much quality and variety as I can within that budget.

I am very much looking forward to learning more about the DC metro food scene.

• DonRocks likes this

#1575 ConstantEater

ConstantEater

• 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first-ever post to Don Rockwell. I am a longtime foodie who's been living in the DMV area for the last 2.5 years. I help run a dining meetup group (DC Culinary Explorers, if you're interested) where we host 2-3 events a week, mostly on the weekends. I pretty much like all cuisines. Right now, I am really into tasting menus. Other than food, I love making new friends and learning about new cultures. I try to do that through food events (of course!), conversations, travel, and laughter. One love. :)

Best,

Khoi

P.S. If you're curious, my name is pronounced like the Japanese carp, the Koi fish. The "h" in my name is silent.

#1576 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Other than food, I love making new friends

Well, you just made a bunch of new ones - welcome, Khoi.

#1577 zgast

zgast

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi - new user here.  Looking forward to participating.

Zach

#1578 ccole

ccole

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

Good afternoon.  Long time lurker to the forum.  I enjoy trying out new spots in DC and environs.

#1579 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hi - new user here.  Looking forward to participating.

Zach

Good afternoon.  Long time lurker to the forum.  I enjoy trying out new spots in DC and environs.

Welcome, Zach and ccole - please don't hesitate to ask our members if there's anything you need, either on the Help Needed thread, or you can also write me via PM.

#1580 gwen

gwen

• 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

Hi all, Gwendolyn here, a long time lurker, food industry/history/creation enthusiast, consistently dancing on the edges of the industry as I've moved through academia. Upon moving to DC for a final degree, I discovered this board through egullet.org, and it has proven to be a most valuable resource (and entertaining, of course). While unable to travel abroad during my studies, what a joy it has been to taste other sunsets and landscapes through the region's restaurants, and if I'm lucky, learn about the sacrifices the cooks, owners, and dishes have had to make to assimilate and thrive. This year marks a transition where I may well embark on a journey back into working in a professional kitchen, setting my degree aside. I look forward to sharing stories and knowledge (if I have any to give) with this community!

#1581 curls

curls

Hat Trick

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hello. Long time lurker, new member. Looking forward to being able to post my own food & dining questions and provide answers to your questions.

#1582 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,988 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hello. Long time lurker, new member. Looking forward to being able to post my own food & dining questions and provide answers to your questions.

Love the confidence! Welcome, curls. :)

Just so we know what types of questions to ask, what are your areas of expertise, both cognitively and locationally?

#1583 curls

curls

Hat Trick

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Love the confidence! Welcome, curls. :)

Just so we know what types of questions to ask, what are your areas of expertise, both cognitively and locationally?

Thank you for the welcome to your site! I have a bit of experience in cooking, baking, and candy making... hopefully I can add to those discussions on this forum.

• DonRocks likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users