Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

If you're looking for obscure stuff, there is a liquor store in Germantown(right next to the rustic oven restaurant, sorry thats the only detail that stuck in my head about its location) that has an unbelievable selection: Velvet Falernum, Aperol, Warrninks egg, tons of luxardo products, borsci. They have one of the better liqeur selections I've seen here in DC.

Are you talking about the Montgomery County store in the Kingsview shopping center? Last week I did notice the Falernum (John Taylor's), Aperol, and Luxardo Maraschino there (and to my surprise, a good supply of Buffalo Trace bourbon). It's better than I would have guessed for a government operation, but not really stellar.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any idea where one can pick up some Amer Picon? It's a bitter that's used in Picon Punch, something from my hometown Basque restaurant that I'm trying to recreate.
If you come to San Francisco, you can have mine, I have 2 dusty bottles in inventory. Or, you can send me the recipe for the punch, and I can make it into a martini... :lol:

Dave's Used Liquor Sale :o

I thought all the MoCo stores carried the same stuff. Isn't that true?

Not really. Obviously they all have access to exactly the same stuff, but availability at any particular branch is subject to space available and the whims of the store managers. Potomac is severely space-constrained and chooses to stock more luxury brandies and cognac, but fewer bourbons, on account of the neighborhood. Conversely Burtonsville stocks a wider variety of bourbon than any other branch, and its manager actively seeks out new releases.

Speaking of gin drinks, I had a No. 209 Vesper (sans vodka) the other day at Central. Yum.
There is just not enough Lillet being consumed these days. Frankly, I cannot think of a better way to start a meal then a nicely chilled glass of Lillet as an apéritif, I might just have to have one tonight, then I will give the 209 Vesper a try.

What type of gin do you use in your beverage? When I made it last night, I used Miller's London Dry, and it added just enough complexity. I would be interested in trying a gin with a little more heft, something like Junipero.
I shy away from using expensive gin in a drink like this. I think it gets lost. I've made the Tarleton's Resurrection with Beefeater, Gordon's, and Calvert Woodley's 94 proof house brand. They all work. Sorry if this seems pedestrian.

I know I'm opening myself up for ridicule by asking this....but does anyone know where to buy Timmerman's beer (specifically the Timmerman's Kriek)?

I've never had any of these beers, but their website (which is pretty bad) doesn't seem to indicate they are exported too heavily (they only list Italy and Spain). Give Chevy Chase Liquors a call...I'm not sure you'll be able to find them over here, though.

Does anybody know where I can find Beamish Irish Stout? I used to be able to find it in a couple of bars as well as at Total Beverage. However, I have not seen it around for a couple of years.

The Beamish Website lists Kozak as the distributor in VA (and the Kozak website doesn't look like they distribute as far north as Richmond) and Buck as the distributor in MD (looks like it might be a better bet, they claim distribution in PG county).

Let us know if you find it...I too haven't seen it in at least two years.

When we opened I tried getting it as our house vermouth and our rep told us that it was out of production. On a similar note: it looks as if the producers of 209 have shut down their operation as well.(this might be on a previous thread)

When we opened I tried getting it as our house vermouth and our rep told us that it was out of production. On a similar note: it looks as if the producers of 209 have shut down their operation as well.(this might be on a previous thread)
If either or both of these are true that really sucks. I will need to find as much 209 as possible.

Note: The 209 website is still up and running, but that might just mean that the hosting contract is still paid-up.

Carpano Antica formula was out of stock for several months until This past February. Republic National is the wholesaler of this product. Most any liquor store that buys from them can obtain this item for you...I still have it readily available at the bar FYI.

With regards to 209 Gin..this was one of my most popular finds and is the ingredient in one of my most popular cocktails..Unfortunatly there has been none available for the last 4 weeks as they have stopped all shipping of the product outside of California. I used at least 4-5 bottles per week for my Cucumber-Thyme Refresher and am currently mourning the sad fact that there is no further information available on when Production and shipments will ever resume. I have 1 bottle left that is for sale....the bidding starts at $500.00 :angry:B)

I will however take this moment for a shamless plug of my Cucumber Margarita with Coconut and Kaffir lime salt to ease the heat of summer and for your drinking enjoyment. :P

Anybody seen Carpano Antica Formula vermouth for sale in DC or the nearby 'burbs lately? I've looked for it at MacArthur's a couple of times recently and they don't have any.
I saw it at Macarthur's on Saturday. It was on the island across from the vodka and gin.

Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it: this thread is more than a little self-serving. But I'm hoping that it will help serve all of you folks as well.

What distilled spirits are you on the hunt for and cannot find? What special ingredient is the missing piece in your ideal-cocktail puzzles?

Just last year, thanks in great part to the requests from folks here, I began stocking the following items which have sold well enough to make them more than worth my time:

Aperol

Vya dry and sweet vermouth

Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth

Fever Tree tonic water, club soda, bitter lemon and ginger ale

and just this month, Lucid absinthe and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur.

Other things are in the works, but I know of a few spirits that folks have asked for that are either not distributed here or no longer distributed here, such as:

Picon

Damrak Gin

So what are you on the hunt for? Post it here and I'll see what I can do and I'll post what I can find out about their availability here. :mellow:

Who knows? If we put our collective heads together we might solve a few importation and distribution mysteries.

Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it: this thread is more than a little self-serving. But I'm hoping that it will help serve all of you folks as well.

What distilled spirits are you on the hunt for and cannot find? What special ingredient is the missing piece in your ideal-cocktail puzzles?

Just last year, thanks in great part to the requests from folks here, I began stocking the following items which have sold well enough to make them more than worth my time:

Aperol

Vya dry and sweet vermouth

Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth

Fever Tree tonic water, club soda, bitter lemon and ginger ale

and just this month, Lucid absinthe and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur.

Other things are in the works, but I know of a few spirits that folks have asked for that are either not distributed here or no longer distributed here, such as:

Picon

Damrak Gin

So what are you on the hunt for? Post it here and I'll see what I can do and I'll post what I can find out about their availability here. :mellow:

Who knows? If we put our collective heads together we might solve a few importation and distribution mysteries.

Clase Azul Reposado Tequila - from what I can tell it is only available in the USA out of California and retailers are very reluctant to ship because of the ceramic bottle. The stuff rocks!

Cherry Marnier

Aviation Gin

Plymouth Fruit Cup

Blackwoods Gin (even better would be Blackwoods 60)

Roggenaer 15 year old Special Reserve Geneva Gin

Akvavit Lysholm Linie

Anything by Briottet

Marie Brizard Parfait Amour

Pimms No.3 Winter Cup (or Pimms No. 6 - Vodka Cup)

Bundaberg Rum (any would do, but No 3 is heavenly)

A decent Poteen (or is it Poitin) like Knockeen Hills

And just because the bottle is so damned cool, Ivan the Terrible Vodka.

Cherry Marnier

Aviation Gin

Plymouth Fruit Cup

Blackwoods Gin (even better would be Blackwoods 60)

Roggenaer 15 year old Special Reserve Geneva Gin

Akvavit Lysholm Linie

Anything by Briottet

Marie Brizard Parfait Amour

Pimms No.3 Winter Cup (or Pimms No. 6 - Vodka Cup)

Bundaberg Rum (any would do, but No 3 is heavenly)

A decent Poteen (or is it Poitin) like Knockeen Hills

And just because the bottle is so damned cool, Ivan the Terrible Vodka.

I carry the Marie Brizard Parfait Amour.

Stay tuned re: Aviation Gin :mellow:

Don't know the Knockeen Hills, but I can get Bunratty Potcheen in one day.

The rest? I'll work on it :)

I really don't think it's possible to get over here, but I'll give it a shot. Old Fettercairn (for sentimental reasons :mellow: )

Talk about memories, I spent some of the best years of my youth in a neighboring town to Fettercairn.

It is available here, I found a bottle for my father at K&L in San Francisco several years ago, and I just found that Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys has some.

I'd love to know what you do or intend to do with this, as Joe sold me a bottle several weeks ago and I just can't figure out a good use for it. It's way too sweet for the amount of (mostly orange) flavor it has.
The book "Art of the Bar" has several drinks that call for it, and that is the only reason why I have been trying to track it down.

Anyone have a lead on how to land some more Vahine Vanille Creme liquor? I brought a bottle back from the honeymoon to Moorea 2 years ago and am down to my last glass tonight. Stored in the fridge and served over a couple of ice cubes, it's a pretty nice way to wind down in the evening.

(This has been one of the few times when the internet machine has failed me. All I can find is other folks looking to track this stuff down.)

Hey Joe,

I'm still looking to track the Vahine Vanille Creme down. Thanks!

Okay, I have some reports on some missing spirits:

That Vahine Vanilla creme I can't seem to track down here in the U.S.A. might not be regularly imported here.

On the Pimm's #3 and #6, according to Wikipedia, "At one time Pimms No. 2-6 based on Scotch Whisky, Brandy, Rum, Rye and Vodka respectively existed although only No.1, a variant of 3 and No.6 survive as of 2007."

Cherry Marnier hasn't been available here for at least 6 years, and apparently there are no plans to reintroduce it at this time. It is available in Canada, and probably online.

I remember seeing a bottle of Bundaberg Rum that a friend brought back from Australia - "Bundy", they call it. Never seen it here, don't think it will be but it's now owned by Diageo, so who knows?

Blackwoods Gin isn't distributed in the U.S.A. but you can find it here: www.lastorders.com, www.drinkon.com, www.drinkshop.com

Roggenaer Gin is also not distributed in the U.S.A. at this time.

and the search continues......

On the Pimm's #3 and #6, according to Wikipedia, "At one time Pimms No. 2-6 based on Scotch Whisky, Brandy, Rum, Rye and Vodka respectively existed although only No.1, a variant of 3 and No.6 survive as of 2007."
Thanks for the information. I know that Pimms still makes the 3 and 6 since I had them last year. They are fun to have around. And not the drinkshop's url is www.thedrinkshop.com.

Thanks for the information. I know that Pimms still makes the 3 and 6 since I had them last year. They are fun to have around. And not the drinkshop's url is www.thedrinkshop.com.

Thanks for the correction, I'd copied it directly from the Blackwood's website.

The Pimm's 3 and 6 might be old product. Given the shelf life of these things, they can hang around the marketplace long after being discontinued, but perhaps it's only available in the U.K.?

*UPDATE* According to the brand manager for Beam Global (who imports Plymouth Gin) the fruit cup is no longer being made.

Man, we're making some progress here :mellow: At least we're getting some answers.