Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good afternoon! So, I'm looking for the '07 Glen Manor Hodder Hill. I really enjoy the '08 and would like to try the previous vintage. I've searched online and called some retailers without success. I'm pretty confident no retail location has it in stock anymore, so I'm curious to know if anyone has any spare bottles. I'd be willing to pay a good price for it, especially if its been stored well. I'd offer a trade, but my cellar is young; mostly filled with easily procured local wines.

Cheers

So the producers of Armagnac have quietly been commercializing la Blanche Armagnac now that it is no longer forbidden in public. Will it languish in le trou Gascon, or will it find life as an alternative to eau-de-vie, marc, pisco, and other clear distillates?

Has anyone encountered it (perhaps the Laubade) in the DC market?

An intriguing NYT article from earlier this year.

Anyone seen Bitter Truth Apricot Liquer? I've seen the Sloe Gin, but I tried the apricot at Repeal Day recently and it was awesome.

Sadly, I live in VA, where ABC rules with an iron fist.

I'm also on the lookout for SAGE (by AITA) and this Pine Gin that @merc340 is lusting after...

I've seen Luxardo at many places, including Liquor shops in Cleveland Park as well as my lowly local ABC store (Arlington)

I'll have to start placing my orders through you SeanMike!

My boyfriend called Ace Beverage and the person that answered the phone said that he doesn't carry the Apricot Liquer but he carries something "much better". I'll be researching that.

How's the sage? I didn't like RHUBY at first (almost empty!), but it really grew on me and the one that I thought would be my favorite (SNAP) is still mostly full.

How's the sage? I didn't like RHUBY at first (almost empty!), but it really grew on me and the one that I thought would be my favorite (SNAP) is still mostly full.

Oops. I don't have the Sage, I have the Rhuby (which they had to rename for some reason "Rhubarb Tea" or something like that).

I'm also on the lookout for SAGE (by AITA) and this Pine Gin that @merc340 is lusting after...

I saw three AITA liquors at the ABC store on Fillmore in Arlington last week - Root and Snap, can't remember the third.

Anyone see Fernet Branca in VA recently? They used to carry it at the Quincy store but they've stopped. I've seen it in D.C. but its $10 more than what ABC was charging...

Probably the Rhuby, or Rhubarb, depending on how it's labeled.

Fernet got taken off the list at VA ABC - I think it's special order only now, if it's still available at all. I know some bartenders and other enthusiasts have been lobbying to get it back...

I'll have to start placing my orders through you SeanMike!

My boyfriend called Ace Beverage and the person that answered the phone said that he doesn't carry the Apricot Liquer but he carries something "much better". I'll be researching that.

Did you ever find out what the "something better" was? I'm in the market for one and from my reading the Winter & Rothman Orchard Apricot looks like a good option for the price. I called the MD distributor and the closest place that might have it is pretty far, although not impossible to get to. I also need to check with the MC liquor stores, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen it in DC anywhere?

While I'm posting, does anyone know how interchangeable citrus and orange vodkas would be in a recipe? When a recipe doesn't specify a specific vodka, but just says citrus vodka, could I use an orange vodka instead? I'm guessing it could make a significant difference in flavor since if I understand correctly the citrus vodkas tend to be more lemon based. Thoughts?

Did you ever find out what the "something better" was? I'm in the market for one and from my reading the Winter & Rothman Orchard Apricot looks like a good option for the price. I called the MD distributor and the closest place that might have it is pretty far, although not impossible to get to. I also need to check with the MC liquor stores, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen it in DC anywhere?

I bought a bottle in DC, either Ace or Macarthur.

While I'm posting, does anyone know how interchangeable citrus and orange vodkas would be in a recipe? When a recipe doesn't specify a specific vodka, but just says citrus vodka, could I use an orange vodka instead? I'm guessing it could make a significant difference in flavor since if I understand correctly the citrus vodkas tend to be more lemon based. Thoughts?

I would consider a generic citrus to mean lemon.

I say use the orange vodka. If the recipe is a Cosmo, it calls for a orange twist -- I would just use a lemon twist instead. I feel the flavor disparity between orange and lemon vodka is less than between Noilly Prat sweet vermouth and Punt e Mes.

Winter & Rothman Orchard Apricot was in the liquor store on the corner of Mt. Pleasant and Irving, last time I checked. They also have yummy shrubs.

[Full disclosure, blah, blah, blah]

The Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot is pretty popular amongst our cocktail friends (and our pour-some-in-wheat-beer-or-sparkling-wine home bartender friends). The base of it is the eau-de-vie of the apricot (plus apricot juice, sugar, and water), so it has a lot of fruit intensity. We also dialed back the sugar a bit. Happy to answer other questions about it.

[Full disclosure blah blah blah]

I've seen this...Montbisou Framboise...listed in a few recipes lately, but am not familiar with it.  Is this just a raspberry liquor?  Can I swap Chambord?

It's fairly widely available, I think. I know I have had a bottle of it within the last ten years, although I guess that doesn't say all that much. I used it in raspberry sorbet. But yes, it's just a raspberry liqueur, and although I don't remember ever tasting Chambord, I imagine they're roughly interchangeable. Google says they have the Montbisou at Total Wine, if that does you any good. It's cheaper than Chambord.

Last night at a wine tasting event at Oya, I had the excellent yet unusual sparkling pineapple wine, Hula O' Maui from Tedeschi vineyards in Hawaii. It was fruity, yet not cloyingly sweet and very refreshing. I saw that you can order direct from the vineyard, but the shipping costs are rather high from Hawaii to DC.  Anyone know of a retail store in DC that sells this wine? 

So I've hunted around on winesearcher.com as well as looked at the actual producers website (which didn't have anything around importers) with no luck, so I'm wondering if anyone might know what would be my best place to start to try and find if I can order this locally somewhere:

Paxxo Rosso Del Veneto, Stefano Accordini 2010

I had it at Lupa this past weekend while in NYC (see the Help Wanted NYC Thread) - the sommelier brought it out as a replacement and it was truly delicious.  He'd mentioned it was an off menu wine that he'd just gotten his hands on.

I would REALLY appreciate any help.

Just out of curiosity, is this type of thing considered OK without a referral from someone who knows someone?

I e-mailed Jake Parrot out of the blue to see where I could get Dolin Blanc in Richmond, and he was more than helpful.  Distributors are in the business of selling their products, so I think they don't mind the occasional e-mail asking where you could find their product.  A lot of times distributor websites also carry that information or invite you to contact them.

I e-mailed Jake Parrot out of the blue to see where I could get Dolin Blanc in Richmond, and he was more than helpful.  Distributors are in the business of selling their products, so I think they don't mind the occasional e-mail asking where you could find their product.  A lot of times distributor websites also carry that information or invite you to contact them.

Exactly. I've e-mailed a handful of distributors over the last couple of years trying to track down their products. Without fail, the responses have been prompt and friendly.

Goose Island King Henry

Is this still produced ? I can find nothing about current release schedule, and the official website appears to categorize it as a thing of the past.

King Henry was a one-off brew from Goose Island.  Some speculators have bottles for sale on beer collector websites.  Looks like they'll set you back around $150 a pop.  The newest Bourbon County series was released earlier this month, and it did include a Barleywine, just not barrel aged.

I have been reading great things about Monkey 47 gin, but so far I have had no luck spotting this primate in my normal hunting range and really do not want to have to order it from The Whiskey Exchange - I always get a bit carried away when I order from them, plus the shipping from the UK is brutal.

I have been reading great things about Monkey 47 gin, but so far I have had no luck spotting this primate in my normal hunting range and really do not want to have to order it from The Whiskey Exchange - I always get a bit carried away when I order from them, plus the shipping from the UK is brutal.

A few places in New York show having it online, Crush Wine and Spirits and Le Du Wines.  This probably means you can get it in DC, since it does get imported.

Hey Pras,

If the DMV market is anything like it was down here, then the beer geek places sold out the day it came in.  The grocery stores might still have it sitting around.  I'd check Harris Teeter, Giant, Safeway, etc...I know it's still around at Kroger in Richmond (which is the same company as HT).

Yeah, too bad the Maryland grocery stores (for the most part) around here don't carry beer.  I hit up this one store tonight, and they had 4-12 packs.  I took 2 to the counter and the guy refused to sell them to me because he was going to return them because he was mad he wasn't sent more.  I told him I would buy all 4 on the spot and he still refused.  Maybe I will hit up the shoppers up the street that sells beer.  They usually get good allocations.

So in my hunt for Beer Camp, someone had a very good theory regarding the short supply in the area and it makes alot of sense.  The Beer Camp festival stops in Philadelphia this weekend.  For this reason, they shifted the supply up north to Philly.  This person was told that in a week or two the DC area will receive a large shipment.  Here's to hoping this theory/intel is correct.

Any DR members have any luck hunting down orange wines in a retail setting? Much as I love grabbing a stool at the Red Hen and savoring a glass I'd really like to take a bottle (or 20) home to relax with. I've tried schneiders, calvert woodley and arrow wine to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After years of phone calls, emails, and other searching, I FINALLY acquired the Maraska Maraschino Liqueur today.

http://www.maraskausa.com/individual-products.html#maraschino

Been after this since, oh, at least 2008. :)

You have me interested. I'm a huge fan of the Luxardo - it would definitely make my top 10 list from that other thread if I ever got around to making it. How do the two compare?

Unfortunately I never get into DC.