Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

*UPDATE* According to the brand manager for Beam Global (who imports Plymouth Gin) the fruit cup is no longer being made.
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Wait, I thought that Absolute imports Plymouth. However, I do see that Fruit Cup is no longer on the Plymouth site, this really sucks since it along with the Damsom were some of Plymouth's best offerings and now neither are listed.

Any word on when the Sloe Gin is going to make it over here?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Wait, I thought that Absolute imports Plymouth. However, I do see that Fruit Cup is no longer on the Plymouth site, this really sucks since it along with the Damsom were some of Plymouth's best offerings and now neither are listed.

Any word on when the Sloe Gin is going to make it over here?

FutureBrands LLC (a divison of Beam-Global) also has Absolut. It's quite the spider's web of relativity in the distilled spirits business, I'll tell ya. They often wind up buying competing brands and have to invent ways to keep from undercutting themselves in certain markets. Glad that's not my job.

I'll inquire as to the sloe gin.

Talk about memories, I spent some of the best years of my youth in a neighboring town to Fettercairn.

It is available here, I found a bottle for my father at K&L in San Francisco several years ago, and I just found that Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys has some.

Thanks--I have a niece living in San Fran and maybe she can find me a bottle!

Look for Henrick's, it should be easy to find.

1667.jpg

I have to admit that since a horrible experience in college i've avoided gin (and anything that smells of juniper!) and am pretty ignorant of it--so i have a very basic question about it--i'd heard tht henricks is a cucumber-flavored gin. are cucumber gin and cucumber vodka the same thing with different names? the cucumber gin doen't taste like juniper and cucumber? if so that's great, because i've definitely seen henrick's!

thanks for your help!

are cucumber gin and cucumber vodka the same thing with different names?
No, they are quite different, with gin the botanicals are distilled in, while most (if not all) flavored vodkas* have the flavor added to the spirit after distillation, the flavors could be derived from steeping, from another flavored spirit, or extracts.

I know your pain about a bad gin experience, I had one in high school and still will not touch Beefeater, but have overcome my trepidation and with a purchase last night have brought my collection of gins up to 20 different types (Joe I am counting on you to make it 21 when you get the Aviation in). All gins are going to have an herbal edge to them, but not all of them are teeming with Juniper.

*It was my understanding that the law says that the vodka that acts as a base for a flavored vodka has to be pure and have no smell or flavor, but I may be mistaken.

correct. One way to think of gin is to think of it as vodka that has been infused with juniper among all the other aromatics, hendricks just has a heavy presence of cucumber added in addition to the other botanicals, but frankly hendricks tastes nothing like cucumber infused vodka. That said, you could simply refer to all spirits as infused vodka in some form or another, but it's really not all that true (I know I'm stretching what you were meaning).

If I never had another drink with vodka as the primary base it would be too soon.

Has anyone run across cucumber vodka here? A friend had it in london and fell in love with it (along with cherry marnier). I'd love to get him some but haven't seen it anywhere.

thanks!

Instead of buying it, you might consider doing this the easy and cheap way- go buy a bunch of cucumbers, clean them and keep the skin on. cut them into rounds and insert into your favorite neutral vodka (read- cheap but decent, think stoli or absolut or skyy or whatever's on sale this week that's better than vodka from a jug). Make sure all cucumber slices are covered and let sit in a dark area for 4-5 days. Do not let it go longer than 5 days. Remove cucumbers and voila- cucumber vodka :mellow:

Tonight I'm going to try and make my own orgeat for the first time.

Has anyone run across cucumber vodka here? A friend had it in london and fell in love with it (along with cherry marnier). I'd love to get him some but haven't seen it anywhere.

There's also "The Cuke", a cucumber-gin cocktail that won the cocktail competition that the New York Times had a couple years ago. I've never tried it, but always wanted to.

All this talk about cucumbers is making me thirsty for a Screaming Viking
I hate cucumbers. Even alcohol does not improve them. Pickling does. But I do like Hendricks. Yes, I know a Pimms Cup should have cucumber, but not in mine, I just hate them.

Now a couple of shots of vodka with pickle juice chasers would be nice right about now (something I picked up from a Ukrainian roommate from college).

Duty on importing stuff isn't that much...it's more for booze, but when I brought 24 bottles of wine back from SA on my last trip, my duty was $5.23 or something. Bring it back, declare it, pay the duty. Heck, the last time I wheeled a styrofoam shipper through customs, I wasn't stopped.

I find that these days the hardest part is getting it packed correctly. It used to be easy since you could pack it in your carry-on, but now that it has to go in the hold you need to make certain that it is well padded (remember the Samsonite commercials with the ape and the suitcase)?

I find that these days the hardest part is getting it packed correctly. It used to be easy since you could pack it in your carry-on, but now that it has to go in the hold you need to make certain that it is well padded (remember the Samsonite commercials with the ape and the suitcase)?

Wine shipper boxes, as long as the bottles aren't irregularly-shaped.

Wine shipper boxes, as long as the bottles aren't irregularly-shaped.
That is what I usually use, but finding them in a strange locale when you need them is usually difficult.

Lately I have been having the store ship them back to my wife's office, that way I don't have to lug them around from city to city.

Thank you all for your help and advice! and those drinks, particularly the cuke, sound delicious.

as for the shots of pickle juice....i can sort of see that, i guess it's like a dirty martini (and i love those!)

Not really, it generally helps make the rot gut that we would drink palatable.

Joe - I wish I had known that Ace Beverages carried such a large selection of hard-to-find spirits. My wife hauled about half a dozen bottles back to DC on Amtrak that were purchased at Astor Wine and Spirits in Manhattan, including Lucid, Creme de Violette, St. Germain and Aviation Gin. This is probably a long shot, but any chance that you could look into whether Hayman's Old Tom Gin can be imported into the US? Link If it's not available, have you heard of any other distillers in the US who are going to introduce an Old Tom Gin?

Thanks, Fred

Joe - I wish I had known that Ace Beverages carried such a large selection of hard-to-find spirits. My wife hauled about half a dozen bottles back to DC on Amtrak that were purchased at Astor Wine and Spirits in Manhattan, including Lucid, Creme de Violette, St. Germain and Aviation Gin. This is probably a long shot, but any chance that you could look into whether Hayman's Old Tom Gin can be imported into the US? Link If it's not available, have you heard of any other distillers in the US who are going to introduce an Old Tom Gin?

Thanks, Fred

Hey Fred,

I've always heard the best things about Astor, I'm sure that trip wasn't wasted. You did get two products that I have on order, but they aren't here just yet.

I'll check into the Old Tom Gin.

Best,

Joe

This is probably a long shot, but any chance that you could look into whether Hayman's Old Tom Gin can be imported into the US? Link If it's not available, have you heard of any other distillers in the US who are going to introduce an Old Tom Gin? Thanks, Fred

*Update* from the distiller:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We don't as yet, but we hope to have Hayman's Old Tom Gin in the USA during the course of 2008."

So there is hope :mellow:

How about some more domestic gins? Something like say Rogue Spruce Gin, or Desert Juniper Gin.

Any further word on Aviation?

Edited to ask for Angostura Orange bitters as well.

Need to investigate those. The problem with breweries like Rogue who also distill spirits is, their products are often not distributed by the same people.

For example, Dogfish Head in Delaware also does a vodka, two different rums and a gin (that I know of), but their beer tends to be distributed by dedicated beer distributors, who do a better job of selling it than liquor distributors who just happen to carry some beer as well. The beer distributors can't sell liquor, so it has to be represented by another company. I sell Dogfish Head beers, but I can't get the spirits wholesale at this time.

Aviation Gin is still "up in the air". (Ba-DUM-bump!) :mellow:

Still no word on the availability of Angostura orange bitters, but I now offer Fee Brothers orange bitters in addition to Regans orange.

Still no word on the availability of Angostura orange bitters, but I now offer Fee Brothers orange bitters in addition to Regans orange.
Yeah, I have those, I am just trying to expand my collection. Do you know if The Bitter Truth are going to be sold via retail in the US? I had a drink at the Flatiron Lounge last week made using the Grapefruit Bitters that was unbelievable, the bartender told me that the Fee Brothers Grapefruit Bitters were not even in the same class.

You sure about the Aged whiskey ones? Checked Amazon and did not see it there, maybe I missed it. I'll check again.
I got them from Keg Works (via Amazon) in December. They may now be out, I also remember there being an offering from Fee Brothers as well alone and as part of a set.

Surfas is also out, they are usually a good source for all things Fee Brothers.

Lysholm Linie Akvavit

This stuff is killer. My Swedish cousin taught me to make Johnsson's temptation to accompany a bottle of Linie encased in a block of ice, a traditional Swedish New Year's treat.

Take a heavy baking dish. Buter it heavily. Layer it with thinly sliced red potatoes. As each layer of potatoes goes in, place an abundance of anchovy bits, salt & pepper over each layer. Then a layer of thinly sliced onions. Fill the pan about 2/3 full of alternating layers of potatoes and onions. You will need 1-2 small jars/cans of really good anchovies (Ortiz or some other great quality anchovy) for a 9x13 dish. 3 if you are a freak for salt and anchovy flavor. Dot the top with bits of butter. Lots of bits of butter. Think of Brando and Schneider in Last Tango amounts of butter.... Cover the potatoes completely but barely (lets show SOME restraint here people) with heavy cream (40% manufacturers cream is even better!). Then pour all the oil and juices from the anchovies into the dish.

Bake until all the cream is absorbed and everything is meltingly tender. If I recall correctly, bake at about 300 degrees for an hour or so, but I was like 10 years old and she was really built and wore low cut sweaters and she was only a cousin by marriage...). Let it cool till warm.

Next is the most important step: Call 911 and tell them you are having a heart attack, as you will be by the time you are licking the bottom of the baking dish

Alternate bites of this luscious concoction with shots of the Linie.

This stuff is killer. My Swedish cousin taught me to make Johnsson's temptation to accompany a bottle of Linie encased in a block of ice, a traditional Swedish New Year's treat.

Take a heavy baking dish. Layer it with thinly sliced red potatoes. As each layer of potatoes goes in, place an abundance of anchovy bits, salt & pepper over each layer. Then a layer of thinly sliced onions. Fill the pan about 2/3 full of alternating layers of potatoes and onions. You will need 1-2 small jars/cans of really good anchovies (Ortiz or some other great quality anchovy) for a 9x13 dish. 3 if you are a freak for salt and anchovy flavor. Cover the potatoes completely but barely with heavy cream (40% manufacturers cream is even better!). Then pour all the oil and juices from the anchovies into the dish.

Bake until all the cream is absorbed and everything is meltingly tender. If I recall correctly, bake at about 300 degrees. Let it cool till warm. Next is the most important step: Call 911 and tell them you are having a heart attack, as you will be by the time you are licking the bottom of the baking dish

Alternate bites of this luscious concoction with shots of the Linie.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Anchovies, heavy cream and fish oil!!! Serious: sounds like a dish worthy of a last meal!

Any chance of getting any beers from the Pelican Brewery in your store? I think I drank the Brickskellar out of their stock in 2003 or so, and haven't seen any since. Of course I have no idea how the distribution works, I might have to call in the Bandit for some assistance.

Hmmm. I don't think it has distribution here (The Brickskellar might just be having it shipped to them via UPS or something). But who knows, it might be available in Maryland or Virginia for all I know.

That's the sad thing - there are SO many Oregon breweries who are unavailable here, including Deschutes and Full Sail. It's quite the pity, they are wonderful.

Yet another reason to visit Oregon besides the wine, blackberries, and gorgeous mountains. :mellow:

Hmmm. I don't think it has distribution here (The Brickskellar might just be having it shipped to them via UPS or something). But who knows, it might be available in Maryland or Virginia for all I know.

No Pelican distribution out here, afaik. Probably just a 'skeller one-off...west coast breweries sometimes come and do events there, and Dave ends up with some leftover bottles from the events. They tend not to last long.

As joe said, all the more reason to go visit. And bring back one of those 12-bottle wine shippers full of goodies (you can check them on the plane). Then wait 6 months, and do it again.

i am looking for maple leaf xo, it is a canadian ( obviously i know) maple syrup liquer, I had it in vancouver years ago,, but cannot find it anywhere

Can't speak to that particular brand, but I believe you can find Sortilege, the archetypal maple liquor from Quebec, at finer DC liquor stores. Check with the usual suspects...I'm pretty sure Joe said he already carries it.

b_sortilege.gif

What type of cocktail are you looking to incorporate this into?
The new Imbibe has several recipes calling for it, I figured I would try it in these cocktails and then figure out how else to use it. The Lion's Tail looks particularly intriguing, it is a blend of bourbon, allspice dram, lime juice, simple syrup, and Angostura. I can also imagine that it would blend quite well with rum.