Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to check this morning, and Kegworks was not showing any availability for the Whiskey bitters.
I can't believe no one else has stumbled upon the stash I found yesterday. They have five or six of the whiskey aged on the shelf right behind the register.

I spoke with Donna at Fee Bros the other day and she said soon, so if you can't wait two or three weeks for the new batch PM me and I'll tell you where I saw them.

I can't believe no one else has stumbled upon the stash I found yesterday. They have five or six of the whiskey aged on the shelf right behind the register.

I spoke with Donna at Fee Bros the other day and she said soon, so if you can't wait two or three weeks for the new batch PM me and I'll tell you where I saw them.

It's my understanding that the Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel bitters are being labeled even as we speak, and should be available to ship out on Wednesday the 12th or Thursday the 13th.

The anticipated shelf price for these 4 oz. bottles is $12.99, but with shipping, they might be just a touch higher.

Don't look now, but it APPEARS as though Damrak Gin has FINALLY re-appeared in Washington, D.C.

I have some on order for tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed! ;)

Speaking of Damrak Gin (Joe already knows this story..), my house in Arlington got broken into a few weeks ago. The only things that were stolen was a new laptop, a portable DVD player, a brand new carseat (go figure), and an unopen bottle of Damrak Gin that was sitting on my kitchen table. At least the robbers had a taste for fine spirits.....

I have all the Fee bros bitters except the Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters. Anyone (Parrott) know where to score some?
I just picked up a bottle of Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters at Plain Old Pearson's--kind of pricey at $12.99 for 4 ounces, but very nice in a Manhattan, which I've just finished drinking (Wild Turkey rye and Vya sweet vermouth). They have quite a range of Fee Brothers products at Pearson's. I think they have orange, lemon, and mint bitters (I don't think I saw the peach), and also orange-flower water.

Oh, I see Ulysses's comment about "right behind the cash register", above -- this must refer to Pearson's, as that's where they are.

I just picked up a bottle of Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters at Plain Old Pearson's--kind of pricey at $12.99 for 4 ounces, but very nice in a Manhattan, which I've just finished drinking (Wild Turkey rye and Vya sweet vermouth). They have quite a range of Fee Brothers products at Pearson's. I think they have orange, lemon, and mint bitters (I don't think I saw the peach), and also orange-flower water.

Oh, I see Ulysses's comment about "right behind the cash register", above -- this must refer to Pearson's, as that's where they are.

I carry a LOT of Fees Brothers products, including the entire range of bitters. Yes, the Whiskey Barrel bitters are much more expensive than the rest. Glad to see that others are catching on to them as well.

I carry a LOT of Fees Brothers products, including the entire range of bitters. Yes, the Whiskey Barrel bitters are much more expensive than the rest. Glad to see that others are catching on to them as well.

barmy's in farragut north has a decent stock of the whiskey-barrel aged bitters. they're more expensive than 12.99 though. that being said, barmy's is the place to hit up during the "seven lean years" of whiskey bitters availability.

After a great lunch at Black Salt I went next door to see what new things Bassin's might have. I saw a bottle of what I thought were Luxardo Bitters (which you can find at Central Liquors), but on closer examination it was Luxardo's Cherry liqueur. When one of the store's staff saw me grab it he also pointed me towards Senior Curacao which amazingly comes from Curacao. I have not tried either yet, but the smell of each is off the wall as are the colors.

Here are two more requests for hard to find spirits:

Qi White Tea Liqueur - http://www.qispirits.com/Qi%20White%20Product.htm It's apparently made by St. George Spirits, the same fine folks who make Hangar One Vodka.

Sotol - It's a cousin of tequila and mezcal but it's distilled from the Desert Spoon plant, rather than agave. I was in Houston recently and had a fantastic margarita/pisco sour hybrid drink using this as the base spirit. The bartender used Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol, if I recall correctly.

Any ideas?

-Fred

The car seat was to cradle the Gin...makes sense to me

Speaking of Damrak Gin (Joe already knows this story..), my house in Arlington got broken into a few weeks ago. The only things that were stolen was a new laptop, a portable DVD player, a brand new carseat (go figure), and an unopen bottle of Damrak Gin that was sitting on my kitchen table. At least the robbers had a taste for fine spirits.....

Much better than the person who stole my roommate's Captain Morgan.

If someone knows where I can find one of these I would be quite happy.

2447409492_abe500139a_m.jpg

I can GET the Glenmorangie Sauternes Wood Finish Whisky, it's called "Nect'ar", aged 2 years in Sauternes wood. It's around $80, might even be less.

Can't get that 1981 bottling, though, sorry.

Speaking of missing spirits, how about "Hayman's Old Tom Gin"? It appears to be the same company that does the R&W Creme de Violette, Allspice Dram, Scarlet Ibis, etc...

(looks around for Joe...)

Mike,

Please hold out your hand to be slapped, you can find information from Joe on this very thread concerning Old Tom

*Update* from the distiller:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We don't as yet, but we hope to have Hayman's Old Tom Gin in the USA during the course of 2008."

So there is hope :lol:

Speaking of missing spirits, how about "Hayman's Old Tom Gin"? It appears to be the same company that does the R&W Creme de Violette, Allspice Dram, Scarlet Ibis, etc...

(looks around for Joe...)

I'll save you the suspense; Joe thinks next month.

Right now he's working hard to obtain another elusive and delicious California product for DC retail. Man, I love this town!

Please hold out your hand to be slapped, you can find information from Joe on this very thread concerning Old Tom
Ow! D'oh!

My Google-Fu has been particularly poor today...

Next month, eh? Sweet. That means I'll probably avoid looking for it while in LA next week, though I should be content with the two bottles of Anchor Genevieve that should be coming down to visit me alongside a friend of mine from SF.

('Cause god knows the thing I really need is MORE gin...)

The Genevieve is insanely smooth.

I can verify this! Phil Ward at Death & Co. poured me a dessert glass of the stuff when he learned I had never tried any . . . And I wonder why I have fuzzy memories of traversing NYC the remainder of the night. :lol:

Are the Angostura Orange bitters still MIA? I got a heavy sigh and a head shake from the kid at the Virginia ABC yesterday along with the comment that someone else had just asked for them. Since I was next door, I figured it was worth a shot.

Are the Angostura Orange bitters still MIA? I got a heavy sigh and a head shake from the kid at the Virginia ABC yesterday along with the comment that someone else had just asked for them. Since I was next door, I figured it was worth a shot.

They are easily obtainable on-line (I bought mine from either Surfas or Kegworks don't remember which). I have still not seen them for sale in the area.

They are easily obtainable on-line (I bought mine from either Surfas or Kegworks don't remember which). I have still not seen them for sale in the area.

I will probably end up ordering them. I always try to buy things locally first, but it seems like this one is hard to find in most places. Thanks for the recommendations.

C.J. Crocker.

My memory is vague on everything except that I loved it; I had it regularly when I lived in London about 15 years ago, but when I asked I seem to remember them telling me it was "American, from Connecticut".

It was a vanilla-infused bourbon, and it was delicious. I've never found it anywhere in the US, and when I do a Google search, all I seem to find are other people looking for it.

Has anyone heard of it?

A week ago Saturday I was at a gathering for local UNC parents at the home of an IMF economist from Uganda. I asked him about an unusual bottle of clear liquid he had in a display cabinet: Uganda Waragi is what it said on the label. He told me that it was liquor made from bananas. Would I like to taste it? Ummm...yeah. It was a new bottle and he opened it to pour a shot for me. It was spectacular. An eau de vie, 80 proof, with a delicate floral nose, smelling nothing like what I think of as typical banana. And it was SMOOTH. Delicious, delicate fruity flavor, completely dry. Wow. I'd love to get my hands on some of that. He brought it back with him from a visit home. Anybody heard of it, or seen it for sale?

A week ago Saturday I was at a gathering for local UNC parents at the home of an IMF economist from Uganda. I asked him about an unusual bottle of clear liquid he had in a display cabinet: Uganda Waragi is what it said on the label. He told me that it was liquor made from bananas. Would I like to taste it? Ummm...yeah. It was a new bottle and he opened it to pour a shot for me. It was spectacular. An eau de vie, 80 proof, with a delicate floral nose, smelling nothing like what I think of as typical banana. And it was SMOOTH. Delicious, delicate fruity flavor, completely dry. Wow. I'd love to get my hands on some of that. He brought it back with him from a visit home. Anybody heard of it, or seen it for sale?

Zora - I don't have that product, but hopefully very soon, I'll have a 50-pf banana liqueur available which I've tried, and it's really tasty. Obviously not the same thing, but it just might help to satisfy the occasional banana jones.

Zora - I don't have that product, but hopefully very soon, I'll have a 50-pf banana liqueur available which I've tried, and it's really tasty. Obviously not the same thing, but it just might help to satisfy the occasional banana jones.

Joe, if you say "99 bananas" I'm going to cry.

Not so sure, Joe. What I liked about it was that it wasn't sweet and didn't taste like Chiquita-ville.

Not so sure, Joe. What I liked about it was that it wasn't sweet and didn't taste like Chiquita-ville.

I brought waragi back from Uganda too, but I've never seen it anywhere else, even at African duty-frees. It's much more like vodka than liqueur--I didn't even know it was made from bananas!

I brought waragi back from Uganda too, but I've never seen it anywhere else, even at African duty-frees. It's much more like vodka than liqueur--I didn't even know it was made from bananas!

It actually falls into the gin family. I saw it last year at a liquor store in London, but I did not taste it. More about it here.

I described it as an eau de vie, which is not a liqueur--an eau de vie is alcohol distilled from fermented fruit. The sugar in the fruit is all turned into alcohol, which is then distilled. Depending on how well it is made, the fruit flavor is retained without any of the sweetness. And it is clear, and not barrel-aged. Poire William is a good example. In Europe, eaus de vie are made from cherries, plums, raspberries, blackberries, apricots. And grapes--grappa is an eau de vie. Because they are not aged, some can be quite harsh, which was why I was so amazed at how smooth the waragi was.

It is interesting that it is called a gin on the label pictured in the link. The bottle I tasted did not have the word "gin" on its label. Nor did it have any hint of juniper flavor.

Blackwoods Gin isn't distributed in the U.S.A. but you can find it here: www.lastorders.com, www.drinkon.com, www.drinkshop.com

If you happen to find yourself in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco you should be able to pick up a bottle of Blackwood. They also have Right Gin, and now so do I.

If you happen to find yourself in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco you should be able to pick up a bottle of Blackwood. They also have Right Gin, and now so do I.

At the time I posted that, Blackwood didn't have a U.S.A. importer, but they DID indicate that they were looking for one. I guess that they found one! :P

Yeah, the Right Gin is available in New York. I swear, someone tasted me on that stuff a few months ago. I don't remember much about it, though. Cool looking bottle.

At the time I posted that, Blackwood didn't have a U.S.A. importer, but they DID indicate that they were looking for one. I guess that they found one! :P

I should have mentioned I got it at Coit Liquor, the sales guy told me the owner brought it in himself. The Right is a cool looking bottle and some pretty tasty stuff as well. But the shape makes it a bitch to get into a Wineskin.

Yeah, the Right Gin is available in New York. I swear, someone tasted me on that stuff a few months ago. I don't remember much about it, though. Cool looking bottle.

Right is Swedish, no? If it is, it's damn tasty, makes an excellent tonic.

I gave up on trying to find Blackwood many moons ago. The new bottle of Bols Corwenwyn helps with the pain of failure.

Can one find Amarula anywhere around here? (NW DC preferred.) Honestly, I've never really looked because I always get it at duty-free, but I'd like to have some around for Christmas and wonder if I can get it locally or if I need to pick some up on my next trip...

It was everywhere when I was in Montreal last. Obviously that's less than helpful, but I have a friend there who is hoping to come down before the holidays, so if you get stuck I can ask her to bring some. And I believe the USD still has a slight edge on the CD...

Can one find Amarula anywhere around here? (NW DC preferred.) Honestly, I've never really looked because I always get it at duty-free, but I'd like to have some around for Christmas and wonder if I can get it locally or if I need to pick some up on my next trip...

I remember trying Amarula for the first time at the Pegu Club in New York a few years ago. More recently, a Chowhound source reports that you can buy it locally at Calvert Woodley:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/64331

I'm in there pretty often, but haven't seen it (then again, I wasn't looking for it!). You may want to give C-W a call. Or maybe ask weinoo here on DR.com about NYC sources. Hope you find it!

I remember trying Amarula for the first time at the Pegu Club in New York a few years ago. More recently, a Chowhound source reports that you can buy it locally at Calvert Woodley:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/64331

I'm in there pretty often, but haven't seen it (then again, I wasn't looking for it!). You may want to give C-W a call. Or maybe ask weinoo here on DR.com about NYC sources. Hope you find it!

I'm pretty sure the Montgomery County liquor stores carry it, and I think I've seen it at the one in Bethesda on Hampden Ln (240-773-2006). Not quite NW DC, but just one metro stop away.

Amarula is in flux right now. They are either changing U.S. importers, or their U.S. importer has been bought by another company. All I know is, I cannot order any as my former supplier for it is sold-out.

You guys are great! Thanks so much! I'll call around, but plan to pick some up at duty-free later this month as back-up.