Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*UPDATE* According to the brand manager for Beam Global (who imports Plymouth Gin) the fruit cup is no longer being made.

Fruit Cup is now being made again, I just picked up a bottle along a bottle of Cherry Marnier, and some impossible to find Makers Mark Black label.

At the risk of post-whoring myself, let me just repeat what I said in the Bitters thread, since this product has been mentioned in this thread:

Finally, FINALLY, I have Angostura Orange Bitters to sell in the store!

Man, how long has this taken, two years? More? It seems like forever.

So happy to have them. Wish that they were in a larger bottle, but I'll take what I can get.

I would like to find small or mini bottles of maraschino and herbsaint. Pernod will work if Herbsaint is not available. I've got cocktail recipes I want to try that call for very small quantities of each, and I don't want to buy a 750 knowing that it will oxidize into blandness before I use it. I've asked at a few places with no luck. Anyone?

I would like to find small or mini bottles of maraschino and herbsaint. Pernod will work if Herbsaint is not available. I've got cocktail recipes I want to try that call for very small quantities of each, and I don't want to buy a 750 knowing that it will oxidize into blandness before I use it. I've asked at a few places with no luck. Anyone?

I don't pay attention to anise-flavored liqueurs, because I don't like them very much. Maraschino, on the other hand, I love in cocktails. I've never seen maraschino in any size but 750ml, and doubt you'll find smaller bottles anywhere. But is oxidation really a concern? With distilled spirits?

I don't pay attention to anise-flavored liqueurs, because I don't like them very much. Maraschino, on the other hand, I love in cocktails. I've never seen maraschino in any size but 750ml, and doubt you'll find smaller bottles anywhere. But is oxidation really a concern? With distilled spirits?

I'm told it is by various sources including a rather well-researched thread at the Ministry of Rum. Ed Hamilton suggests using it up within six months of opening, and the rule of thumb was backed up with side-by-side testing of near-empty bottles with newly opened ones. Apparently, quite a bit of complexity will be lost due to oxidation over time. Potential solutions included transferring to smaller bottles to reduce contact with oxygen, using one of those wine air-sucker things, and drinking more.

Edited cuz I can't spell.

drinking more.

Always a good plan!

A gentleman was driving late one night and a cop pulled him over. He had been weaving.

The cop asked him if he had been drinking and the man said "no". He was a juggler and he just wanted to make sure he had all his juggling equipment with him and he got distracted.

The cop said that if he could juggle, he was probably sober and the cop would let him go. So, the juggler got out of the car and got his equipment, which happened to be torches. In a minute he had the torches lit and he was not only juggling them but catching them under his leg.

As this was going on, another man, who had tippled a few too many weaved up and pulled over to see the sight, not realizing there was a cop there. He looked at the show going on road side. After a monute, he shook his head and walked up to the cop. He then said "just put the cuffs on me now. If that's the damned sobriety test, I might as well go to jail as kill myself."

I actually got a super speedy response from Chris Turner at Hop and Wine Beverage in Sterling! I thought I would post the response in case anyone else was looking for it:

To find Thomas Jefferson Ale try Whole Foods Market or Total Wine and More. Also, in Arlington you can try Westover Market.

Wooohooo. Or perhaps Waahoooo is in order! I will try Whole Foods in Arlington first and let you know.

I am looking for Thomas Jefferson Ale in Nova. I know I can get it at Eventide for consumption, but I am looking for a store that sells it. Has anyone seen it around?

So I read an article in my Alumni magazine for Western Maryland College (McDaniel College now), and found out that the founders of Yards Brewing are fellow WMC alumns who started brewing beer in their dorm bathtubs. It made me very proud. It was a hilarious article.

I bought plenty of it in Pittsburgh. Try going to the Pennsylvania liquor control board's website - they'll tell you on a store-by-store basis who in PA has it.

(Sorry, don't have the link on me - try Google.)

And remember, you can have anything that's in stock in the PA system shipped to any PA state store for you to pick up.

Does anyone know of a DC liquor store that stocks Casa Noble tequila? I recently tried it at Oyamel, and it bowled me over. I've been keeping an eye out for it ever since, but have had little luck.

PAULS LIQUORS

5205 Wisconsin Ave NW

District of Columbia, DC 20015

Distance 1.4mi

SHERRYS WINE & LIQUOR

2315 Calvert St NW

District of Columbia, DC 20008

Distance 1.6mi

1 W DUPONT CIRCLE WINE &

2012 NW P ST

Distance 2.5mi

DICKSON WINE

903 U St NW

District of Columbia, DC 20001

Distance 2.8mi

BEST IN LIQUOR

1450 P St NW

District of Columbia, DC 20005

Distance 2.9mi

BARREL HOUSE LIQUOR

1341 14th St NW

Distance 3mi

SCHNEIDERS LIQUORS

300 Massachusetts Ave NE

District of Columbia, DC 20002

Distance 4.8mi

CHAT'S LIQUOR

503 8th St SE

District of Columbia, DC 20003

Interesting. Chat's said they hadn't stocked it in years. Will check out the others.

Thanks!

PAULS LIQUORS

5205 Wisconsin Ave NW

District of Columbia, DC 20015

Distance 1.4mi

SHERRYS WINE & LIQUOR

2315 Calvert St NW

Distance 1.6mi

1 W DUPONT CIRCLE WINE &

2012 NW P ST

Distance 2.5mi

DICKSON WINE

903 U St NW

District of Columbia, DC 20001

Distance 2.8mi

BEST IN LIQUOR

1450 P St NW

Distance 2.9mi

BARREL HOUSE LIQUOR

1341 14th St NW

Distance 3mi

SCHNEIDERS LIQUORS

300 Massachusetts Ave NE

District of Columbia, DC 20002

Distance 4.8mi

CHAT'S LIQUOR

503 8th St SE

District of Columbia, DC 20003

Indeed.

Its ludicrously bad marketing notwithstanding, 10 Cane rum has a similar flavor profile (even though it's not charcoal-filtered to clearness).

Bah. Twice as much coin, and I don't get to support Haitian industry. Plus, I think 10 Cane is aged, or maybe blended, no? I love that grassy, fresh cane taste in the Barbancourt. I'm set for a while, but it would be nice to have a reliable local source.

Bah. Twice as much coin, and I don't get to support Haitian industry. Plus, I think 10 Cane is aged, or maybe blended, no? I love that grassy, fresh cane taste in the Barbancourt. I'm set for a while, but it would be nice to have a reliable local source.

All true, all true.