Eventide, Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed For Good Sunday, Nov 16, 2014

The theory behind this is that smoking less than a few hours before seasoning food kills a cook's palate so they use more salt. The same goes for espresso, in a lot of Italian 3-star places, cooks aren't allowed to drink espresso or smoke within 2 or 3 hours of dinner service. The palate should ideally be clean when seasoning food.

It makes sense to me.

The Great Andre Tchelistcheff was famous for smoking russiian filterless cigarettes moments before tasting wines up until his late 70's. Whenever he tried to cut down on his cigarettte consumption, he complained of his inability to taste wine without them. So it seems to be a question fo what you are used to and not the cigarette smoking per se. Andre was the greatest figure int he California wine industry bar none!

How is this any different than no showing on a four reservation and walking in with a party of 5 at 8PM to one of the hardest reservations in town?

I don't think this analogy holds. Suppose you have a res for 4 and show up with three. How is that any different than now showing on a four reservation and walking in with a party of 3 at 8PM to one of the hardest reservations in town?

If the space is so inflexible that you can't stick a chair on the end, fine, I get it. I certainly would have called first. But i think the description of the experience is more about an antagonistic approach to service, rather than trying to adapt to an unforeseen obstacle and overcome it.

The Great Andre Tchelistcheff was famous for smoking russiian filterless cigarettes moments before tasting wines up until his late 70's. Whenever he tried to cut down on his cigarettte consumption, he complained of his inability to taste wine without them. So it seems to be a question fo what you are used to and not the cigarette smoking per se. Andre was the greatest figure int he California wine industry bar none!

Now that's interesting! And very cool, too...

I agree that it's an issue of "what people are used to," but were the aftertaste of cigarettes and/or espresso present at some times and not others when seasoning food, I'd be interested to see if there are differences between the two on average. Like I said, it makes sense to me, but I drink coffee infrequently and don't smoke.

The theory behind this is that smoking less than a few hours before seasoning food kills a cook's palate so they use more salt. The same goes for espresso, in a lot of Italian 3-star places, cooks aren't allowed to drink espresso or smoke within 2 or 3 hours of dinner service. The palate should ideally be clean when seasoning food.

It makes sense to me.

Funny thought but some in the wine industry actually believe and are told to taste wines before 10AM, and drink black coffee within 30 minutes of tasting wines. Acid in the coffee supposedly activates the tongue and saliva.

I don't think this analogy holds. Suppose you have a res for 4 and show up with three. How is that any different than now showing on a four reservation and walking in with a party of 3 at 8PM to one of the hardest reservations in town?

If the space is so inflexible that you can't stick a chair on the end, fine, I get it. I certainly would have called first. But i think the description of the experience is more about an antagonistic approach to service, rather than trying to adapt to an unforeseen obstacle and overcome it.

as for being inflexible I guess you could look at it in a different light. Lets say that there are tables, round ones that are not attached to a booth that hold any number of people from 5 to 8 people. they are typically spoken for per se on a reservation that has already been made in advance. then you have the booths that are upstairs, and if memory serves me correctly, they are what we call stage booths, built on top of a platform, with swinging doors to lead inside the seating. So, sticking a chair on the end doesn't work. I guess I just see it from a view where if one knows the room, then I typically follow their lead.

I’m distressed; I’ll admit it. I had a very unpleasant evening at Eventide on Friday night and have been considering writing here, calling the GM, or both. As you can see, I’ve decided to write here.

Here’s the background. I’ve been to Eventide many times. I have enjoyed the food (as I have noted here) and I’ve also been impressed with service. Some of our neighbors have gone above and beyond ordinary neighborly-ness over the last few months and we (my husband and I) wanted to show them a good time. We decided on Eventide for the two reasons mentioned above, because they had not been before, and because we’ve introduced a number of our friends to Eventide and are always rewarded for doing so.

Well…we brought an extra person and Eventide could not accommodate our +1 and our 8pm reservation. Then, of the 5 entrees, two were over-salted and my fish was dry.

Since this is a food review site, I should note the following:

The fluffy grits and relish served with the halibut made it a fantastic dish even though the halibut was dry. It was not over-salted.

The smoky-ness of the bar shrimp was a treat and the serving generous.

The only problem with the bar love muscles is that they are not served with enough bread to soak up the love-juice and that problem is easily solved by asking for more bread.

As mentioned by another reviewer, the nut-brittle served with the chocolate terrine is very good as is the entire dessert.

Oh, and we ordered a couple of bottles of a by-the-glass petite syrah and it was wonderfull! Keenha, Keesha, or something similar.

The reason I decided to write here is because there were so many missteps on what for me was to be a special night, it’s made me re-think going back. And, to add irritation to irritation, they did not give me my open table points! Basta!

Our neighbors’ interpretations were these:

--Hostesses were inexperienced and lacked problem solving skills.

--over-salting happened because the chef smokes (interesting hypothesis…it was late, maybe tired?).

--staff didn’t seem to want our business.

I might go back b/c the food is so great and I’ve had a number of wonderful experiences but I think our neighbors were turned off.

I feel badly reading this post as I was not around all weekend to witness anything firsthand. (In New York to see "American Idiot"on Broadway, which was great, but I digress.)

First things first (based on all of the responses to the post), my chef does not smoke! Our chef de cuisine (who seasoned your food) doesn't smoke. None of the line cooks smoke before or during service. They stay hydrated and try to season everything appropriately. Salt is such a subjective taste--one person's "too salty" is another person's "perfectly seasoned". I apologize if you feel your food was overseasoned. Was this brought to anyone's attention so the dishes could have been recooked?

As for the confusion with your table, our goal was certainly not to make you feel uncomfortable. When you arrived as a party of 5 when you had made a reservation for 4, this threw things off a bit for my staff. We had a booth ready for your party of 4 and all of the other tables that could accommodate 5 were seated with guests. I spoke with Jeremy, my AGM (the "blond dude" you spoke with) and he said that someone in your group suggested that you all would go the bar and order some food there, then order some dining room food so your order could be put into the kitchen as your table got set later for you when you were able to be seated upstairs. Jeremy said he mentioned to your group how he wished every table was as nice and easygoing about being seated late and that a few members of your table even laughed when he said as much. My staff was under the impression that your group was understanding of the situation we were placed in.

All in all, I suppose my staff misread your group as being happy with the outcome of the evening just as your group misread that my staff didn't want to take care of you and that we didn't want your business. Behind the scenes, there were a few hosts (and Jeremy) scrambling to think of a better solution to your problem. We couldn't find another table earlier because of some campers and when the table became available, to my understanding, two hosts, two bussers and Jeremy himself got the table bussed, cleaned and reset in about 30 seconds so as to get your group to the dining room that much faster.

We most certainly care about every single person that comes through our doors...this is our livelihood and we take our jobs seriously.

Dave: Thanks for your reply...this one and the personal one.

For the others questioning my +1: Things happen. If I new in advance, I would have called. It was not my idea. I cannot ask my guests to not take their (adult) daughter to dinner when she is spontaneously visiting for the night. I do not make a habit of it but I know the Eventide dinning room to be quite forgiving (read, it's big and not overstuffed) so thought the change could be easily accommodated.

As for our mixed messages: We are very nice people in general, and especially to those serving our food and rarely send things back. I should mention that one of my guests had red meat (can't remember what) and cleaned his plate with a left over biscuit. I forgot that in my original review.

I enjoyed the cigarette discussion. THings I didn't know. Isn't smoking so last century?

We had a delicious brunch at Eventide today. The grilled flatbread was the best brunch entree that I have had during a year of brunching. More importantly, we had requested a booth through Open Table but were seated at a table. We were OK with that, because it was against a wall--not in the middle. During our brunch the acting manager who usually is the head bar tender--I can't remember his name,--came to our table and apologized for the mix up. We told him that we were fine. Then our incredibly professional and helpful server apologized two more times. To top it off, we were compted $10. I LOVE YOU EVENTIDE. Thank you so much. You set the standard!

We had a delicious brunch at Eventide today. The grilled flatbread was the best brunch entree that I have had during a year of brunching. More importantly, we had requested a booth through Open Table but were seated at a table. We were OK with that, because it was against a wall--not in the middle. During our brunch the acting manager who usually is the head bar tender--I can't remember his name,--came to our table and apologized for the mix up. We told him that we were fine. Then our incredibly professional and helpful server apologized two more times. To top it off, we were compted $10. I LOVE YOU EVENTIDE. Thank you so much. You set the standard!

so you got $10 just because you did not get the table you asked for which was not guaranteed!!! and 3 apologies from 2 different people!!??

that doesn`t make much sense unless there are some other things..

so you got $10 just because you did not get the table you asked for which was not guaranteed!!! and 3 apologies from 2 different people!!??

that doesn`t make much sense unless there are some other things..

No, there were no other things. We were very surprised.

Fantastic evening at Eventide on Saturday. Drinks, apps, entrees, service all top notch.

We started with cocktails - they reprised the Cooper Brothers Cocktail from a past cocktail menu for me, which was completely awesome of them because this is a fantastic drink. It combines Buffalo Trace bourbon, ginger liqueur, and elderflower liqueur and is served neat. Awesome. My wife's dirty martini with Plymouth gin was equally fetching.

We both had the mixed green salad with roasted beets to start. Fresh, lightly dressed greens with candied walnuts and nicely roasted baby beets. Nicely composed, tasted great.

For entrees, I had the sweet potato and ricotta tortellini. Served with green lentils and a light butter sauce, this dish was great. My wife had the seared cobia. The fish was cooked perfectly and tasted great but the best element of the dish might have been the accompanying roasted cauliflower kicked up with curry.

Finished up the evening with some drinks - Frangelico for her and pomme eau de vie for me.

Service was great. We were dining with our 1 year old and they were more than accomodating of her and provided us with a well-paced, relaxing experience.

Another great performance by the folks at Eventide.

Presenting: A W-T-F Twilight Zone Moment, by goodeats.

Act I:

A sassy gal strolls leisurely into the Eventide Bar and Lounge and takes a seat at the lovely bar.

[cue mood lighting and then the Twilight Zone theme music.]

GE: [sits.]

A: Um, [goodeats], I have bad news.

GE: [Give quizzical look - fears something happened to A.] Uh oh, I don't like the sound of this.

A: Yea, well, [stephen W] and [shaggy] no longer work here.

[insert Janet Leigh Psycho-style Wilhelm Scream.]

Scene.

Act II:

A sassy gal warms up her Macbook, hoppin' onto the social network.

Status update from A (paraphrased by me): Add me to those who were let go for no good reason.

[insert another Janet Leigh Psycho-style Wilhelm Scream.]

End scene. End story.

Missing: 3 great, dedicated and awesome folks, 2 behind the bar at the Bar & Lounge and 1 behind the scenes making sure all is well.

Almost like a dementor's kiss.

Where's the explanation? I found that I lost ALL reasons to visit (sorry Matt!) now. The crew, their knowledge, their warmth and service, that was what made me return over and over, and over again. If the head honchos did not understand the basics, how can they expand and build up? It might as well lean like the Tower of Pisa, favoring one side.

So sad.

W-T-F?!

(During holidays too, no less.)

GE: [sits.]

A: Um, [goodeats], I have bad news.

GE: [Give quizzical look - fears something happened to A.] Uh oh, I don't like the sound of this.

A: Yea, well, [stephen W] and [shaggy] no longer work here.

[insert Janet Leigh Psycho-style Wilhelm Scream.]

Now, see ... this is exactly why I wanted to say something.

Now, see ... this is exactly why I wanted to say something.

Steve and I saw the bar/rooftop going in a different direction than my business partners wanted, so we left Eventide two weeks ago. We will both resurface in restaurants that are dedicated to giving good, caring service and genuinely care about the people that walk through the door each day. Steve and I are good friends and have been for over 10 years. We both share the same theories about diners/guests/customers/people-in-general and will hopefully go into business together one day. I remain a full partner in Eventide and wish its employees nothing but the best!

-D

P.S. Either Steve or I will be most assuredly be taking Amy with us. She's effing awesome at her job and a helluva person. :)

Steve and I saw the bar/rooftop going in a different direction than my business partners wanted, so we left Eventide two weeks ago. We will both resurface in restaurants that are more dedicated to giving good, caring service and genuinely care about the people that walk through the door each day. Steve and I are good friends and have been for over 10 years. We both share the same theories about diners/guests/customers/people-in-general and will hopefully go into business together one day. I remain a full partner in Eventide and wish its employees nothing but the best!

-D

P.S. Either Steve or I will be most assuredly be taking Amy with us. She's effing awesome at her job and a helluva person. :)

Oh no!! Just got back from a vacation and was looking forward to drinks at the bar from Steve & Amy. Very disappointed, but please let know where you all end up.

Well . . . damn.

Now where am I going to get a great (proper!) cocktail in Clarendon? Out the door go the main reasons I went to Eventide, and honestly, why I recommended them so highly to friends, family, and those in the circle of cocktail geekery.

Eventide was, yes was, a place I could walk to from my apartment after a long day on a Thursday or Friday, pass by all the preening d-bags and d-bagettes (although some of the dresses the d-bagettes wore were nice to . . . ahem . . . admire) who populate all the other locations around and sit in a great bar, talk to great bartenders named Steve and Amy, and have a great drink or three.

Good luck to Shaggy, Steve and Amy. I, selfishly, hope you land along Wilson Blvd. again to ply your wares. If not, I hope an establishment recognizes you all for your talents and provides you with a canvas on which to shine.

Steve and I saw the bar/rooftop going in a different direction than my business partners wanted, so we left Eventide two weeks ago. We will both resurface in restaurants that are dedicated to giving good, caring service and genuinely care about the people that walk through the door each day. Steve and I are good friends and have been for over 10 years. We both share the same theories about diners/guests/customers/people-in-general and will hopefully go into business together one day. I remain a full partner in Eventide and wish its employees nothing but the best!

-D

I am so sad to hear this news. I knew things were taking a turn for the worst when I would no longer be able to get that awesome beef sandwich for brunch, and now add the fact that I won't be seeing any of your smiling faces there. I will genuinely miss having you all there. Steve was pretty much the sole reason I liked hanging out at the bar at Eventide so often. I wish you all the best. And I am really kind of steamed that you will probably be turning up next somewhere not as close to my house. Best of luck and let us know where you end up! This really is such rotten news, but I am hoping you end up somewhere that appreciates your philosophy for customers. If the rooftop bar goes the way of Whitlows or etc, that will suck.

I can only see one bright side in this: I will be spending less money at Eventide now.

Well, probably zero money there now.

I have never been to the bar, but I have loved the restaurant's food and ambience. Will those also be lost with these departures?

I am still a partner in Eventide!

Matt Wilcox, Eventide's new bar manager (he's a great guy that I have known for many years--even though he's a friggin' Giants fan) and the rest of the staff that Steve, Nick, Jeremy and I have assembled at Eventide over the last two years will most certainly still be as gracious and wonderful as ever to everybody that visits.

Please, please don't boycott ET because a few of us left. Just be sure to also visit Steve, Amy and myself wherever we land!

I am still a partner in Eventide!

Matt Wilcox, Eventide's new bar manager (he's a great guy that I have known for many years--even though he's a friggin' Giants fan) and the rest of the staff that Steve, Nick, Jeremy and I have assembled at Eventide over the last two years will most certainly still be as gracious and wonderful as ever to everybody that visits.

Please, please don't boycott ET because a few of us left. Just be sure to also visit Steve, Amy and myself wherever we land!

Well maybe if you put that beef sandwich on the bar menu.... I am serious. I am not supposed to eat gluten (don't worry I won't die) and I do because every element of that sandwich on the brunch menu is so damned good, even the bread, I can't resist. It was perhaps my husband's favorite thing there of all time. And now I have told everyone about it, and now you stop brunch. And Steve isn't there. I really think it is the least you could do.

I am not a regular at Eventide, stopping by only occasionly, but I have been following the recent discussion string resulting from Shaggy and Steve announcing their departure with some interest. It strikes me that the statement that the other partners saw the lounge and rooftop going in another direction has generated much of the concern. Perhaps they or the other partners could explain what the new direction is?

TSchaad

I am not a regular at Eventide, stopping by only occasionly, but I have been following the recent discussion string resulting from Shaggy and Steve announcing their departure with some interest. It strikes me that the statement that the other partners saw the lounge and rooftop going in another direction has generated much of the concern. Perhaps they or the other partners could explain what the new direction is?

TSchaad

I think if they reveal the other partners, everyone will get a better understanding. I think they will keep that part under wraps.

as for the direction, as i stated before, Dave is still a partner in the project. Boycotting will only hurt Dave, and a really good guy in Matt Wilcox, whom I have had the pleasure of working with in the past. Agree on Dave's point about being a Giants fan. Yikes. And Red Sox as well, holy smokes. Its almost the trifecta of ungodliness in sports fans.

This is completely my humble opinion, how I see things, etc., and take it with the requisite grain (or shaker) of salt...

I've always had friendly service there at the bar. I never went to the dining room or the roof because my interest was in the craft cocktail program at the bar, and to me, that's what distinguished it from other places in Arlington.

I recommended Eventide unreservedly to all my cocktail buddies. "If you come to Northern Virginia, there are two cocktail places you have to go to - PX and Eventide." For me, PX is a "special occasion" place, where I need to dress nicer than usual (i.e. jacket, and less like a hobo) and make reservations, plus travel out of my usual haunts.

Eventide was my every day cocktail bar and with folks like Steve, Amy, Matt, etc., it was a great, friendly place where I could sit at the bar, geek out about cocktails and various esoteric ingredients, and occasionally remember to eat something.

But if they want to take it in a different direction...

A lot of times I'll get asked why I haven't been to this or that bar. And yes, I'm definitely guilty of going to the same place over and over again when I'm going out for something specific (like cocktails). The problem is that I'm just one guy, with one never-enough paycheck and one sometimes-aching liver. When something takes away the major reason for me to visit a bar - like when Gina left EatBar, or Adam left Bar Pilar, or now at Eventide (heck, I can include more examples here) - I tend to go wherever they went. (Though Adam has chided me for not going to Proof enough.) I'll probably swing back by Eventide at some point to see what's changed, maybe. If the craft cocktails aren't there, or are handled more like how Liberty handles them - well, meh.

(I'm not trying to chide Liberty here. I just wish they did more with their cocktail menu! They have such possibility, but it's just not done.)

I'm not trying to sound horribly negative and I'm afraid I am. Let's put it this way: I have a short attention span, and when someone says they want to go a different direction, and I like the current direction, I'll just redirect back to somewhere going the direction I like and not think about it again.

And hey, if y'all prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat my words. Though I'd prefer to drink them. :)

This is completely my humble opinion, how I see things, etc., and take it with the requisite grain (or shaker) of salt...

I've always had friendly service there at the bar. I never went to the dining room or the roof because my interest was in the craft cocktail program at the bar, and to me, that's what distinguished it from other places in Arlington.

I recommended Eventide unreservedly to all my cocktail buddies. "If you come to Northern Virginia, there are two cocktail places you have to go to - PX and Eventide." For me, PX is a "special occasion" place, where I need to dress nicer than usual (i.e. jacket, and less like a hobo) and make reservations, plus travel out of my usual haunts.

Eventide was my every day cocktail bar and with folks like Steve, Amy, Matt, etc., it was a great, friendly place where I could sit at the bar, geek out about cocktails and various esoteric ingredients, and occasionally remember to eat something.

A lot of times I'll get asked why I haven't been to this or that bar. And yes, I'm definitely guilty of going to the same place over and over again when I'm going out for something specific (like cocktails). The problem is that I'm just one guy, with one never-enough paycheck and one sometimes-aching liver. When something takes away the major reason for me to visit a bar - like when Gina left EatBar, or Adam left Bar Pilar, or now at Eventide (heck, I can include more examples here) - I tend to go wherever they went. (Though Adam has chided me for not going to Proof enough.) I'll probably swing back by Eventide at some point to see what's changed, maybe. If the craft cocktails aren't there, or are handled more like how Liberty handles them - well, meh.

(I'm not trying to chide Liberty here. I just wish they did more with their cocktail menu! They have such possibility, but it's just not done.)

I'm not trying to sound horribly negative and I'm afraid I am. Let's put it this way: I have a short attention span, and when someone says they want to go a different direction, and I like the current direction, I'll just redirect back to somewhere going the direction I like and not think about it again.

And hey, if y'all prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat my words. Though I'd prefer to drink them. :)

Eventide is the destination restaurant in Clarendon. I don't go there to drink at the bar or in the lounge. I go to enjoy the subtle, creative appetizers and entrees in the sumptuous and elegant upstairs dining area. It has the added advantage of being quiet enough to carry on a low decibel conversation. But if the food declines, then I will take my business elsewhere.

I think this subject has pretty much played itself out. The people who go to Eventide primarily for the dining experience will continue to go. People who focused on the bar or rooftop experience will decide if the 'new direction' and the service provided by the remaining staff is something they can embrace.

I doubt anyone will make their decision based on what I saw as Rabbi1969's message - "Keep going to the bar or Dave gets hurt too".

TSchaad

I think this subject has pretty much played itself out. The people who go to Eventide primarily for the dining experience will continue to go. People who focused on the bar or rooftop experience will decide if the 'new direction' and the service provided by the remaining staff is something they can embrace.

I doubt anyone will make their decision based on what I saw as Rabbi1969's message - "Keep going to the bar or Mike gets hurt too".

TSchaad

who is Mike/

Where is that like button? This is my sentiment too. I don't go for the food particularly (except the beef sandwich, Dave) although it is good, I go for the cocktail program. I really truly hope that doesn't change. I don't give a damn about the rooftop, really, just the cocktail program and bartenders in the lounge. I want to be able to go in and tell them things I like and they bring me something different that I love and then say want to try something really different with a smile on their face. I want the cocktail menu to be different everytime I go in and when I say whaaa you took my favorite drink off again, they laugh and say don't worry let me make you this one. If that part of Eventide changes then I feel like it will have lost it's soul. And I don't want it to lose it's soul because I lost Gina to downtown DC, this is my only GREAT and I mean it GREAT, FANTASTIC cocktail bar left in my hood.

Thanks SeanMike for being able to describe the exact thing I was feeling better than I could myself.

I guess I'm the only one whose been going (and will keep going) to Eventide's bar for their food and good happy hour deals. $3 beers/$5 wine and they'll ring up your next beer before HH ends even if it'll be another 15 minutes until you're ready for it. Also one of the quieter places to eat/meet up in that area with good food to boot. My only problem with the bar is they don't have Beefeater gin.

I am a little sad to see brunch go.

Maybe I missed this being mentioned, but has there been any indication why brunch service ceased?

No, just a notice on their website. I would guess it wasn't busy enough only because I know they were giving out a lot of groupons for brunch. But the lounge always seemed pretty packed at brunch and there were always at least like five other tables in the dining room when we would go possibly more, that dining room is so big and designed to keep quieter, I am not good at guessing how busy it is. So that is only a guess, a quite uninformed guess. It and Tallula are the hands down best brunch places in Arlington. Although neither are ever packing them in like Harry's Tap Room, Whitlows or Cheesecake Factory when it comes to brunch.

I hope you all will help us welcome our new Executive Chef, Adam Barnett. Adam is finishing up his tenure as Executive Sous Chef at West End Bistro. Before that, he spent time on the other end of our block at Liberty Tavern and he was also lead butcher and pastry cook at the Inn at Little Washington upon arriving here from his native Ohio. He has been spending time with us the past couple weeks on his days off to acclimate himself to the kitchen, get to know the staff and learn our systems. He starts in earnest next Tuesday. He plans to offer specials daily starting almost immediately. These specials will be the backbone of our new spring menu which we expect to roll out in a few weeks.

On a related note, Adam plans to offer our new, expanded Lounge menu on the roof this summer. Rooftop diners will now have access to many more offerings including entrees from the dining room menu. We plan to open the roof the first week in May, weather permitting of course.

We are also developing plans for wine and beer dinners in the lounge and dining room as well as special rooftop events (barbecues and such). I hope you'll stay tuned.

I hope you all will help us welcome our new Executive Chef, Adam Barnett. Adam is finishing up his tenure as Executive Sous Chef at West End Bistro. Before that, he spent time on the other end of our block at Liberty Tavern and he was also lead butcher and pastry cook at the Inn at Little Washington upon arriving here from his native Ohio. He has been spending time with us the past couple weeks on his days off to acclimate himself to the kitchen, get to know the staff and learn our systems. He starts in earnest next Tuesday. He plans to offer specials daily starting almost immediately. These specials will be the backbone of our new spring menu which we expect to roll out in a few weeks.

On a related note, Adam plans to offer our new, expanded Lounge menu on the roof this summer. Rooftop diners will now have access to many more offerings including entrees from the dining room menu. We plan to open the roof the first week in May, weather permitting of course.

We are also developing plans for wine and beer dinners in the lounge and dining room as well as special rooftop events (barbecues and such). I hope you'll stay tuned.

Sounds great! When will you be reintroducing Sunday brunch?

I second!! That fried chicken was one of the greatest things I've ever tasted. With a new chef, I hope you still have the old recipe!

I thought that everything on Eventide's brunch menu was great. It must have been a big money loser. More profits on the roof, I guess.

Brunch was never a money-winner for Eventide. It was my sole decision to open for brunch just to expose Eventide to more people at a lower price point than our dinner service. The goal wasn't to make money...it was to gain exposure so people would come back for dinner. That being said, it was a HELL of a lot of work for basically a money-losing, in-house marketing program. I loved the food that Miles, Justus and the gang were putting out, but it came at a cost. A cost not worth justifying for too much longer.

Very soon after I left, the guys at the 'Tide decided it was no longer something they wanted to do. I personally wouldn't have let it go on much longer if I stayed there. Let it die, people.

As for the chicken and the roast beef sandwich, you'll have to go to Fiola and beg Miles to hook you up. B)

-Dave

And hey, if y'all prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat my words. Though I'd prefer to drink them. B)

I was wrong. I have drank (and eaten) my words and apologized to Matt at the bar last night (he insisted I didn't have to but I felt I should).

We were quaffing a few beverages at O'Sullivan's when the group decided they wanted to go to Eventide. So we shuffled over there, grabbed some standing room at the bar and hung out until some seats opened up.

Let's hit the pertinent areas:

* Cocktails. The cocktail menu had three parts with two drinks each - new creations, classics, and warm drinks. In addition, for tax day there were stand up thingamabobs (I think that's the technical term) advertising Income Tax cocktails, which is basically a Bronx with bitters and one of my all-time faves. I had one of those and quite enjoyed it, then tried some whiskeys. Later I tried one of the new creations which, honestly, I just didn't care for (the Canton Cooler, if I remember correctly), but had some other delicious drinks.

* Food. Chicken and waffles were still there and delicious. The menu seems a bit more focused, I guess, in the lounge? It's about the same length, it seems, but now there are three items from the second floor you could order. A buddy ordered the beef tenderloin and from my small taste it was pretty darn good.

* Service. Great. Matt and the other guy whose name I ALWAYS forget were friendly, quick, and helped us have a great time.

I'll be going back again.

Nice dinner last night at Eventide, as I have come to expect

Started with a Dark & Stormy (again) and loved it again. Several of my colleagues felt compelled to copy my order once they heard that the bar makes their own ginger beer. This is a great rendition of this drink.

Began the meal with a nice asparagus salad that featured slender stalks of nicely crisp-tender asparagus, thinly sliced radishes, and dandelion. The whole concoction was minimally dressed so the dish was redolent of spring time and fresh veggies.

For an entree, I chose the forest mushroom and ricotta tortellini. The pasta was cooked to a nice al dente and arranged to encircle a heaping pile of green lentils, diced sweet potatoes, and I think maybe another diced root vegetable. The dish wasn't nearly as springy as the salad but was nonetheless well executed and quite tasty. The lentils were cooked nicely, not mushy, so they provided a nice textural foil to the creaminess of the ricotta filling in the pasta. The seasoning was spot on as well. Nicely done. I washed down the meal with a bottle of The Prisoner, a CA meritage that my companion chose and that I liked very much. He is from Connecticut and he remarked what a bargain this wine represented at the price (about $80 I think).

Finished off the evening with a glass of apple eau de vie. I like the fact that they offer such a selection of these on the after-dinner menu. I don't see them offered very many places and find them a pleasant way to round out a meal.

. I washed down the meal with a bottle of The Prisoner, a CA meritage that my companion chose and that I liked very much. He is from Connecticut and he remarked what a bargain this wine represented at the price (about $80 I think).

Given Eventide's superior ambiance, glassware and service standards, $80 is a bargain price. The no-frills price on Ray's list is $64.