Open Table allows the restuarnateur to set a minimum and maximum for each table. SO if the restaurnat choses, it can offer a reservation for 1 or 2 on a deuce. When you go in to configure a reseration slot, the default is 2 to 4 people so if you don't actually set the minimum to 1, you may not realize that you can.

I've never had any problem making a reservation for one using OpenTable. Admittedly I don't do it often, usually when I'm making reservations for when I'm traveling on business, but there are plenty of restaurants that permit solo reservations on OpenTable.

What do you think of Open Table? Do you use the service? if so, why?

I like it quite a bit.

It makes it easy to see if a particular time slot is available, and search quickly for your next preference, without going through a long song and dance over the phone. On occasion, the ability to put a note in for the restaurant is handy - asking for a quiet table or such. My experience is that once the note/request is in a system somewhere, it is more likely to be attended to (even if just by a polite decline); otherwise, your request seems likely to be forgotten.

Plus, it avoids dealing with the occasional Unpleasant Restaurant Host/Hostess, of which I've encountered more than a few.

What do you think of Open Table? Do you use the service? if so, why?

Yes, I use it all the time. Its quick & convenient. No waiting on hold. And you collect points that get you a good-as-cash gift certificate to use at any OpenTable restaurant. It takes 50 meals for $50, but if you eat out a lot, you can collect one in less than a year. (There's also a $25 check you can get.)

I've collected a couple $50 "OT checks" and they've been seamless to use, both in DC and once in Sonoma (which raises another benefit: its used far & wide).

A little trick I have learned. Most restaurants don't accept large party reservations on Open Table. But, make an OT res, then call the restaurant to have them increase the size of the party. That way, you still get the points. This also works if you call to change a time, etc. As long as the original res is made on OT, the points are awarded.

Another trick: There's a check box for being an administrative assistant, which allows you to make reservations in several names. (I have four on file: me, my wife, computer illiterate boss, wife's coworker). This way, you can make multiple res for the same meal period (if you make them for coworker, partner, etc.). You collect all the points by being helpful and making their reservations for them. (Selfless, huh?)

If we're walking out to go somewhere on OT, I'll usually just make a res for 15 minutes later, to collect the points. Of course, this only works for a place that you can actually get a table as a walk up. Some places will not let you use OT to eat at the bar, but most don't particularly care.

Now, if I could just get Johnny's Half Shell to start using it.

If I could improve OT, I would give a point for every diner. Currently, you get the same # of points for a party of 2 that you do for a party of 10. That would seem more equitable.

Another trick: There's a check box for being an administrative assistant, which allows you to make reservations in several names. (I have four on file: me, my wife, computer illiterate boss, wife's coworker). This way, you can make multiple res for the same meal period (if you make them for coworker, partner, etc.). You collect all the points by being helpful and making their reservations for them. (Selfless, huh?)

But it is rather rude to make reservations at multiple restaurants at the same time and then wait to decide which to cancel.

But it is rather rude to make reservations at multiple restaurants at the same time and then wait to decide which to cancel.

I think you misunderstood the "Administrative Assistant" comment. All of the reservations you make for others are all honored. None are cancelled and all of the points from each reservation go the singular person who made the reservations on behalf of others.

Agreed, and that's not how I use it. The multiple users allows me to make a reservation for myself, plus others. For example, if I'm having lunch at Sonoma & my boss is going to Bistro Bis. We both get reservations in our own names. This is only possible with the "Administrative Assistant" option.

I think you misunderstood the "Administrative Assistant" comment. All of the reservations you make for others are all honored. None are cancelled and all of the points from each reservation go the singular person who made the reservations on behalf of others.

I was not implying that it was being used that way, just saying that if anyone could get that feature it could be abused.

I guess I'm cheap. I'd rather make a reservation directly and have the restaurant keep the $2 that they'd pay to opentable. It's the same reason I carry cash with me and pay in cash a lot of the time, to save them the credit-card processing fees.

[Note to would-be robbers: I never actually carry cash, I just think it would be wonderful if everyone else did, like that guy. Yes, that one, over there. Not me. Never.]

I guess I'm cheap. I'd rather make a reservation directly and have the restaurant keep the $2 that they'd pay to opentable. It's the same reason I carry cash with me and pay in cash a lot of the time, to save them the credit-card processing fees.

[Note to would-be robbers: I never actually carry cash, I just think it would be wonderful if everyone else did, like that guy. Yes, that one, over there. Not me. Never.]

Many restaurants ahve a link to OT on their websites. Use this and the restaurant only pays $.25 per person for the reservation which is a bargain compared to actually answering the phone etc. The normal fee is $1.00 per person seated

I LOVE open table!

I am surprised by the general support. Although I like to avoid live conversations in general, I don't use the service, myself. I thought I was saving the restaurants the additional fee, but from what Dino says, they prefer it, and it actually presents a savings to them.

I prefer direct contact with the restaurants, especially if I have a special request.

I prefer direct contact with the restaurants, especially if I have a special request.
If I have a special request or complicated situtation, I'll usually call either instead of using Open Table or to follow up on the OT reservation. There are times that restaurants may have blocked out on OT for some reason, or tables that are held back from the listings, so sometimes nothing will show up on OT but there's a table available if you call.

Generally, though, I find Open Table useful for a variety of reasons. It's great for making a reservation at the moment I think of it, which is often not at a good time to call (i.e., before they're open for the day, or at the height of dinner rush). That also works for neighborhood places I decide I want to go to on the spur of the moment. Instead of heading over to see if they have a table, I can grab one online and have it waiting for me in half an hour. When I know I'm going to be in a certain area on a particular evening, I can check multiple restaurants in one area to see which have times available that work with my plans. OT's also good for planning meals in other places if I'm traveling.

When I think of it, I try to go in through a restaurant's web site so it costs them less, but I don't always remember to do that.

Many restaurants ahve a link to OT on their websites. Use this and the restaurant only pays $.25 per person for the reservation which is a bargain compared to actually answering the phone etc. The normal fee is $1.00 per person seated
Good to know. More managers should make their regular OT customers aware of this. I'm happy to go thru their website. Until now, I just saw it as an unnecessary step that made no difference to anyone.

I am surprised by the general support. Although I like to avoid live conversations in general, I don't use the service, myself. I thought I was saving the restaurants the additional fee, but from what Dino says, they prefer it, and it actually presents a savings to them.

I do prefer phone contact for special requests and large parties etc, but the majority of my customers prefer to go online. But if its just a regular reseravtion request, there is a lot of convenience to my restauarnt where I am the reservationist, wine buyer, bookkeeper etc

One other use of OT is to see the availability for a particular time among a large group of restaurants. I had to make a celebration dinner reservation and wasn't sure what was available at the time I needed. I went through the OT list and this time selected DC Coast. It was quick and efficient and eliminates calling a lot of places.

I do prefer phone contact for special requests and large parties etc, but the majority of my customers prefer to go online. But if its just a regular reseravtion request, there is a lot of convenience to my restauarnt where I am the reservationist, wine buyer, bookkeeper etc
I second all of Dean's comments about open table, and especially his suggestion to book through the restaurant's web site, if possible. Between Mendocino and Sonoma, our Open Table charges come to several thousand dollars a month!

I'd also note that using Open Table eliminates a lot of human error on both the restaurant's and guest's part...if you make the reservation, we get the exact reservation you requested, in real time.

The downside? Sometimes people take advantage of the system: a trick we see from time to time is the reservation "bait and switch" - a guest is unable (via phone or online) to get, say, a 4-top on Friday night at 7PM. So they book a 2-top on Open Table, then show up with their party of 4, insisting that they put 4 in the system, even though all those slots have been full. Sometimes it's an honest mistake, but it can put the restaurant in a tough spot on a busy night.....

Aside from that, we love it - just remember to save your local restaurant .75/cover and book through their site.

It's the same reason I carry cash with me and pay in cash a lot of the time, to save them the credit-card processing fees.

That's nice of you and all, but studies have shown that people will spend money more freely when they're paying with a credit card than they will when they pay cash. Therefore, you're possibly not providing as much revenue as a plastiphile-- unless you're an absolutely rational being, of course.

That's nice of you and all, but studies have shown that people will spend money more freely when they're paying with a credit card than they will when they pay cash. Therefore, you're possibly not providing as much revenue as a plastiphile-- unless you're an absolutely rational being, of course.

Of course I'm a rational actor, I'm an economist! :angry:

What is the cost to the restaurant per reservation made via Open Table? Not trying to pry just curious.

Also, from the comments here, it seems like the restaurants save money with OpenTable if the customers make their reservations via the restaurant's website (that links in with Open Table? Yes? No?) instead of the main opentable site. Is that true? And why is that?

I have to admit, one of the ways to 'game the system' of opentable, is to make multiple reservations either at the same restaurant for multiple time slots or over several restaurants for the same time slot. The main reason I have done this in the past is when I want to TEMPORARILY make sure I have a likely reservation in hand when I still need to hear back from someone in my party to either confirm the count of people or the time and day of the reservation (or where you want to eat, even). Also, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS try to get whatever the delay issue is and resolve it and cancel any duplicate reservations ASAP...

i just became an opentable vip member. anyone know what being vip gets u? it seems like not a whole lot

Now when you make a reservation at a restaurant, the words "OpenTable VIP" pop up on the restaurant's screen in the "Customer Notes" section of the screen attached to your name. I'm pretty sure that few, if any, hostesses pay attention to it, but now you know!

DOn't coonfuse causality with correlation. People who spend with plastic tend to spend more. But if I chose to pay with cash it doesn't imply that I will spend more or less than average.

I dislike open table because I'm a technophobe in general, but also because more than once when OT has told me that there were no table available, a phone call with a real person got me the reservation I wanted.

Some restaurants don't release all time slots to opentable. I have noticed this trend with Central and a few other lately.

I dislike open table because I'm a technophobe in general, but also because more than once when OT has told me that there were no table available, a phone call with a real person got me the reservation I wanted.

Sometimes I look at the book and realize I can fit in another slot. Maybe some tables early and late are nor booked and I'd rater take one good reservation (hey, Its Charles... we can move some of that white Bugundy we own that no one else has the genius to buy! 100% mnargin cuz its paid for!!!) than leave two slots empty. Or I kow trhat the 7:00 is a parent with kids who never takes more than an hour and I haven't reconfigured OT yet etc. So yes, if you can call if you don't get what you want, so so. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

I LOVE open table!

Opentable seems to have switched their policy and now gives ZERO opentable points when you book through [at least some] restaurants' website.

(Reservations made from websites other than www.OpenTable.com are not always eligible to earn Dining Points. When you book a reservation, the associated point value, if any, will be displayed at the top of the reservations details page, as well as on the confirmation page and email.)
Pretty annoying to discover the rule change after a few zero point reservations...

Sorry restaurants, the extra $.75 from your pocket is worth it for the $1 I get from opentable to book through them.

Opentable seems to have switched their policy and now gives ZERO opentable points when you book through [at least some] restaurants' website.

Pretty annoying to discover the rule change after a few zero point reservations...

Sorry restaurants, the extra $.75 from your pocket is worth it for the $1 I get from opentable to book through them.

Haha. We have ways to get our 75¢ back many times over. ;)

I've recently realized that booking through the restaurant website doesn't allow me opentable points. I was making the effort to do so due to this board discussion, but not getting the points is not fun, so I'll be going back to booking through OT. Kind of crappy for the customer and restaurant though huh....

I've recently realized that booking through the restaurant website doesn't allow me opentable points. I was making the effort to do so due to this board discussion, but not getting the points is not fun, so I'll be going back to booking through OT. Kind of crappy for the customer and restaurant though huh....

I think it is better for the restaurant as they don't get charged as much per reservation.

I try to use opentable as much as possible a) to rack up points and :lol: because its super easy. I recently tried to book 2 dinners and found that opentable had no bookings for the times I wanted. The first reservation was for this coming Friday and only times available showed 5:30 or 10pm - I figured since it was kinda close, maybe I'd just be out of luck, but I decided to call the restaurant anyway. When I called, sure enough they had plenty of times available. Tried another restaurant for a dinner in 3 weeks, again showed available times of 6 or 9pm - when I called the restaurant, they were able to take my 8pm reservation.

I had kind of assumed that maybe restaurants didn't release all their available times through opentable, but this seems a little odd. Anyone else notice similar difficulties?

I try to use opentable as much as possible a) to rack up points and :lol: because its super easy. I recently tried to book 2 dinners and found that opentable had no bookings for the times I wanted. The first reservation was for this coming Friday and only times available showed 5:30 or 10pm - I figured since it was kinda close, maybe I'd just be out of luck, but I decided to call the restaurant anyway. When I called, sure enough they had plenty of times available. Tried another restaurant for a dinner in 3 weeks, again showed available times of 6 or 9pm - when I called the restaurant, they were able to take my 8pm reservation.

I had kind of assumed that maybe restaurants didn't release all their available times through opentable, but this seems a little odd. Anyone else notice similar difficulties?

Restaurants have to pay OpenTable for each reservation, so while it's a convenience, and draws in customers, it also costs money. Popular restaurants have no problems booking prime-time slots on their own, so they use OpenTable only for early or late seatings.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Ah.. that makes sense! thanks Don. I guess I hadn't noticed it before, or maybe if I had I figured bc it was a popular place, they were legitimately booked... and yea that was meant to be a b ) not a sunglasses emoticon...

Also, if you go to OpenTable via the restaurant's website (as opposed to going directly to OpenTable.com), you'll notice that the reservations don't give you any points. That's because in this situation, the restaurant is not charged, other than having to shell out the expensive start-up and fixed monthly fees. I've always assumed that the 1,000-point specials are because the restaurants are paying a premium in order to lure customers - is this correct?

Cheers,

Rocks.

While I like your thinking :lol: it should be pointed out that that post is over three years old so info in that post may no longer be accurate.
Those numbers remain accurate. The 1000 point promotion cost the restaurant $7.50 per seated cover. Reservations thru the restaurant's website are $.25 and thru OT $1.00.