Georgetown Cupcake, Georgetown and Bethesda

sigh...have gourmet cupcakes made it to the Trite thread yet?

This has to get them the vote. I mean, I like cupcakes as much as the next person, but a store dedicated to them seems just a bit absurd.

I second the vote for most annoying flash intro in history.

This has to get them the vote. I mean, I like cupcakes as much as the next person, but a store dedicated to them seems just a bit absurd.

I second the vote for most annoying flash intro in history.

Crappy cupcakes being offered for top $$ are trite. If this place can deliver a good product at a decent price then it will be anything but trite. :mellow:

With the proliferation of cupacke-only places in NYC, I am surprised a place like Georgetown Cupcake hasn't opened yet. I don't really understand the whole cupcake thing, but there a lot of folks (and kids) that love them. I guarantee this place will do well, even if the product is mediocre.

With the proliferation of cupacke-only places in NYC, I am surprised a place like Georgetown Cupcake hasn't opened yet. I don't really understand the whole cupcake thing, but there a lot of folks (and kids) that love them. I guarantee this place will do well, even if the product is mediocre.

2 no 6 no 12, bakers dozen! i told you that i'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin!

I don't really understand the whole cupcake thing, but there a lot of folks (and kids) that love them.

Personally, I think it's a personal indulgence thing. Sometimes you don't want a whole pie or cake, but just a few slices, yet some places only offer all or nothing.

That or the person can choose a personal variety to take home and indulge a different flavor every night. :mellow:

I also think that Baked & Wired already does a good job in the G'town area covering this market, so I'm not sure how well this place will do.

Checked out the new spot on Sunday and there was a line out the door a la Magnolia in NYC.

Pros - Good variety; tasty, white frosting on the red velvet and chocolate/vanilla (cream-cheese based; see "cons" on texture). Cons - Cake itself was a bit dry; frosting a little too aerated; pricey (runs $2.75 a pop, a little bit less if you buy more).

I would be interested in hearing if folks have tried the other varieties...

Pros - Good variety; tasty, white frosting on the red velvet and chocolate/vanilla (cream-cheese based; see "cons" on texture). Cons - Cake itself was a bit dry; frosting a little too aerated; pricey (runs $2.75 a pop, a little bit less if you buy more).

I would be interested in hearing if folks have tried the other varieties...

I went and bought 1/2 dozen ($15 pretax) the other day and there was no line, since it was a weekday afternoon. I ended up getting: 2 red velvets, 1 chocolate ganache, 1 lemon blossom, 1 vanilla, and 1 key lime or lime flavored.

The chocolate was a bit dry and its frosting was a bit sweet but alright. I find that I like the airy frosting, though it dies down when refrigerated overnight. ETA: It is cute that they put little edible decorations on top the cupcakes.

I too find the cake a bit dry. I also found annoying that they're wasting all that wax paper to individually wrap each cupcake. I think that is what causes the lines to go out the door. Overall, after trying this place, Bakeshop (though to be fair, I think I got day old ones), Natalia's in FC, Cakelove and Baked & Wired, I still prefer those sold at B&W.

Just a thought.

I had a red velvet - it was good but not something I would go out of my way to get. Not sure that this initial exuberence can be maintained, but we always pull for locally owned places. I still think Baked and Wired and Randolph's Pastry Shop make a far better cupcake.

My impression of the actual cupcake was similar to the rest of you; they're ok taste-wise, but not enough to make we wait on a line down the block. The chocolate / vanilla version I had was very pretty, decently moist and right-sized. But you can get similar (or better) goods without the hype at B&W or Furin's.

When I went on Sunday, they were clearly overwhelmed, but giving it a good shot. From what I could see, the kitchen was tiny. There were two people back there, one frosting and one running cupcakes to the front of the store.

I give it about 2 weeks until they dump the interminable process of folding an individual square of wax paper into thirds, wrapping it around each cupcake, and placing it slowly in a bag or box. Unnecessary and annoying as hell. They're not fine jewels.

According to the WaPo Food Section today, they originally intended to operate as a catering-only outfit, with the walk-in business being incidental. I wish them well and I hope they settle on a business model that works for them. It's a very cute store, so I suspect it will soon be publicized in every DC tourist guide.

It took me three attempts but I finally got to experience the much-hyped Georgetown Cupcake (the other two times I waited on line only to be sent away due to a cupcake shortage). The line today was MUCH longer than last week (I supposed due to the Post article) and by the time I got to the front they only had 6 or so flavors left. I got: 1 red velvet, 1 chocolate hazelnut, 1 chocolate cubed, 1 vanilla/vanilla, 1 chocolate/vanilla, and 1 keylime. After all the waiting and frustration, I have pretty much the same reaction as the rest of you: they were good but not worth the hour and a half that I spent on line. The frosting was the highlight for sure- perfect amount, texture, and sweetness but the cupcake itself could have been better- it was a little to dense for me. My favorite was probably the key lime as the zest in the icing was really delicious, although I believe the cupcake itself was simply vanilla-flavored. The chocolate cubed was my least favorite due to an oddly-textured ganache and a very dry cupcake. The lack of efficiency in the store was very frustrating- I had read that they individually wrapped every cupcake in paper but I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. They actually take a peice of parchment, fold it SLOWLY in thirds and wrap it around each cupcake before they put it in a box, which they also painstakenly line with paper. When I asked her to just skip the paper and throw them in, she stopped to put on a pair of gloves right after I just saw her use hand sanitizer. Don't get me wrong- I appreciate the cleanliness but the cupcakes are protected by cupcake liners already and some sense of urgency would have been nice. Also, they 3 staff members were all falling over one another, which slowed them further. It seems to me that they can take some simple measures to get people in and out more quickly then they do: for instance, give up the cutesy wrapping, pre-line the boxes, and assign each employee to a single task.

The line today was MUCH longer than last week (I supposed due to the Post article) and by the time I got to the front they only had 6 or so flavors left. I got: 1 red velvet, 1 chocolate hazelnut, 1 chocolate cubed, 1 vanilla/vanilla, 1 chocolate/vanilla, and 1 keylime. After all the waiting and frustration, I have pretty much the same reaction as the rest of you: they were good but not worth the hour and a half that I spent on line.

I almost took a ride with kids this afternoon to check it out. So glad we didn't. Really want to try but will not wait an hour an half with two kids.

It took me three attempts but I finally got to experience the much-hyped Georgetown Cupcake (the other two times I waited on line only to be sent away due to a cupcake shortage). The line today was MUCH longer than last week (I supposed due to the Post article) and by the time I got to the front they only had 6 or so flavors left. I got: 1 red velvet, 1 chocolate hazelnut, 1 chocolate cubed, 1 vanilla/vanilla, 1 chocolate/vanilla, and 1 keylime. After all the waiting and frustration, I have pretty much the same reaction as the rest of you: they were good but not worth the hour and a half that I spent on line. The frosting was the highlight for sure- perfect amount, texture, and sweetness but the cupcake itself could have been better- it was a little to dense for me. My favorite was probably the key lime as the zest in the icing was really delicious, although I believe the cupcake itself was simply vanilla-flavored. The chocolate cubed was my least favorite due to an oddly-textured ganache and a very dry cupcake. The lack of efficiency in the store was very frustrating- I had read that they individually wrapped every cupcake in paper but I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. They actually take a peice of parchment, fold it SLOWLY in thirds and wrap it around each cupcake before they put it in a box, which they also painstakenly line with paper. When I asked her to just skip the paper and throw them in, she stopped to put on a pair of gloves right after I just saw her use hand sanitizer. Don't get me wrong- I appreciate the cleanliness but the cupcakes are protected by cupcake liners already and some sense of urgency would have been nice. Also, they 3 staff members were all falling over one another, which slowed them further. It seems to me that they can take some simple measures to get people in and out more quickly then they do: for instance, give up the cutesy wrapping, pre-line the boxes, and assign each employee to a single task.

Gotta be honest....you answered your own question, by showing up to a place that just got reviewed. OF COURSE its going to be busy!! Especially today, everyone and their brother were outside. I went for a motocycle ride and made the mistake of TRYING to go though old town. If the wrapping is part of their signature, then I think its a nice touch..eventhough we all do just rip the paper and whatnot away to get to the goodies :mellow:

I want to try one someday, but I have no earthly reason ever to go to Gtown

Yeah well, I made the mistake of driving through Georgetown mid-afternoon thinking I could FIND this place. Where the hell IS it? I ended up doing the little Potomac Street, Grace Street cut-up off of K Street, and didn't see anything, much less a line of people, or for that matter, a parking space.

You must have been close- it is on Potomac right off of M- it is TINY but you couldn't have missed the huge line (unless, of course, they had already run out and shut down by the time you got there.)

If the wrapping is part of their signature, then I think its a nice touch..eventhough we all do just rip the paper and whatnot away to get to the goodies :mellow:

Nice touch maybe but big waste of paper and not so respectful of the 75+ people waiting in the cold (thankfully today was nicer than last week).

We just moved to a new house and as a "housewarming" some friends brought us a dozen cupcakes from Georgetown cupcake. They may have modified their wrapping because I noticed that the cupcakes that had softer/fluffier frosting i.e. red velvet, lemon, etc. were individually wrapped. But the chocolate-ganache type cupcakes were just placed in the box side-by-side.

Since I did not have to wait in line for these cupcakes, I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have tasted thus far. I really liked the red velvet, particularly the frosting. And the lemon version was great. The cake was very moist.

Are these the best cupcakes around? Maybe not. But in my opinion, they blow Cakelove out of the water.

Made it today for cupcakes.

Got there about ten minutes before they opened and we were 20th in line. By the time they opened there were at least 35 people in line.

My opinion. Good but not the best ever. The cake was dry and disappointing. The frosting was really great and if they sold the frosting would buy it by the tub.

Both cupcakes I had at Georgetown Cupcake yesterday were excellent, and far better than the dried-out, overhyped versions I had at the uptown Magnolia Bakery last weekend in New York.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I agree, and frankly I dont get Magnolia bakery in NY? Im trying to recreate their bannanna pudding though.............

I'm not sure what it is about cupcakes that gets people so hypercritical. Perhaps fond memories of youth? Whatever it is, I have to give Georgetown Cupcake respect, because they have a charming little store that produces a very good product. Is it the best product? Who knows? And who cares? Read other peoples' opinions about other cupcakes around town and you'll see that 'dry', 'light', 'moist', 'fluffy', 'rich', 'overly sweet' and so on just can't be quantified. You like what you like, and maybe someone else does, too, and maybe not.

This past weekend I was able to sample the chocolate with mocha icing and the vanilla with coconut. Yes, I could nitpick (one was a little dry, one tasted like it had too much extract, the icing is a teeny tiny tad too grainy, yadda yadda yaddda), but really, they were very, very good. If I worked nearby this is exactly the sort of place I'd stroll to when I needed a break, and if I lived nearby I'd stroll over for a quick dessert on a nice evening.

I wish them all success. Hopefully their existence is one small indicator that DC is finally capable of supporting niche market stores like this, like other Big Metropolitan Cities to the North of us are able to. It's about freakin' time.

That's a pretty strong endorsement. Well, at least in the eyes of those who put Magnolia in the pantheon of baked goods.

Not really. I get why people don't like Magnolia, though I really love it. I thought Georgetown Cupcake was pretty bland and tasteless. None of the flavors I've tried, and I've had about six or seven now, had much in the way of the flavor they are supposed to have. Too bad because I really wanted to like the place...

As a treat, I picked up a chocolate banana cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake today. Of all the boutique cupcakes I have had in DC, and to a degree New York and Atlanta too, it was the best. It was light and airy, very fresh. The frosting was remarkably light with a distinct banana flavor. The flavor of the cupcake itself could have had more oomph, but the texture and smell made up for the lightness of flavor of the actual cupcake.

I am glad it is a nuisance to get too... Now let's see how Hello Cupcake does. By the way, what distinguishes Georgetown Cupcake to the other ones I have had in DC is that they are made fresh every day and never refrigerated. I am now convinced that refrigeration is the problem for Cake Love and Baked & Wired.

Update:

2 hours later, um I think the cupcake is too sweet. I still taste the sugar. So, I won't be rushing back even though I liked the texture.

One thing I was impressed with was the boxes that they're using. I read through this thread and it looks like back in Feb/Mar they were wrapping the cupcakes w/ wax paper...

Well, I bought a half dozen and they have boxes that have individual seats/holders for each of the cupcakes. I took a picture and posted it: http://panachenosh.blogspot.com/2008/07/le...cake-style.html

Yesterday was Mr. MV's Bday, so I thought I'd surprise him and send Georgetown Cupcakes to his office in Arlington. For a $10 delivery fee, they delivered 2 dozen assorted cupcakes, neatly nestled in a special insert inside hot pink boxes with black logo stickers. His office loved the lemon-raspberry, chocolate hazelnut, vanilla and red velvet flavors. They're still raving about them today!

He managed to save two to take home. I think these cupcakes are terrific. The cake is dense and moist, but what I think probably sets these cupcakes apart from the rest of the pack is the icing-so smooth and not overly-sweet. Oh, and they are beautiful to look at too-each one is perfectly made, which shows talent and pride.

I've been here a few times over the past year. Love what they make -- cupcakes are primarily frosting delivery vehicles and their frostings are wonderful. But they also do not ignore the cake, though that is not what make their cupcakes special. Not an everyday thing, to be sure, and they are indeed overpriced. But they deliver on the promise of a great little treat, which is often all you need after a lunch or maybe a big dinner, or before/after a movie....

Which brings me to this....it appears as though they have opened a Bethesda branch right on Bethesda Row. I veered immediately away to avoid any deviation from the old diet, but sheesh I had no idea this popped up until I crossed the street right in front of it.

It's been open since before the New Year. Just as good as the original location and unfortunately, very conveniently located.

That block of Bethesda has become an example of (mostly) local chains fighting the good for you v. taste good war. Five Guys is next to Sweetgreen on one side, Organic to Go (not local but still a chain) is next to Georgetown Cupcake on the other.

I suppose this was inevitable. The beginning of the end of a good thing? A reality show.

This explains why there was a camera crew when we were there a couple weeks ago.

We finally were nearby when 1) they had key lime cupcakes (Hubby is obsessive about key lime) and 2) the line was only a couple people out the door. Got two key lime cupcakes split one that night and one the next, if I wasn't watching my figure I would have eaten about six in one sitting. I love how fresh their ingredients are, and that the cake is moist without being dense. I also love the icing. I like that there isn't a huge amount of icing, for me it is a good ratio, and the icing isn't too fatty tasting for me.

I coach rowing and had a team dinner with parents and kids last night on macomb. For dessert, people made lokoumades, various pastries, etc. As soon as someone whipped out boxes of georgetown cupcakes 50 high school kids-- boys and girls alike-- ran to the kitchen, restraining themselves from pushing to get the flavors they wanted. I was amazed.

They are definitely doing a "reality" show. I was at a wedding on Saturday May 8th and the couple ordered Georgetown Cupcakes as opposed to doing a wedding cake (it was a smaller wedding), they were their filiming the entire event. I always knew that these shows and the situations were contrived, but I never thought that it went to the extent that I saw that day. I will say, however, that the cupcakes were pretty freakin good. Then again, I had about eight drinks before I ate them, so I likely wouldn't have been the best critic at that time.

I will say, however, that the cupcakes were pretty freakin good. Then again, I had about eight drinks before I ate them, so I likely wouldn't have been the best critic at that time.

I think they're genuinely pretty freakin' good, boatloads of drinks or not. A friend had them at a birthday party last night: Azami's salted caramel was delicious, but my chocolate squared was friggin' amazing. Moist cake, light, not dense frosting, all nothing but deep, dark chocolate. That cupcake is pretty much Exhibit A in "Why Xochitl10 Can't Be Bothered with Milk Chocolate."

I do think that GC are all that and a bag o' chips! The cupcakes themselves are very good, the frostings and toppings delicious and impeccable, and the price not too terribly bad.

If you have like-minded coworkers or friends, and are within delivery distance, do coax them into ordering a bunch and take them home to your loved ones.

That's what Mr. MV's office did recently :( .

I think they're genuinely pretty freakin' good, boatloads of drinks or not. A friend had them at a birthday party last night: Azami's salted caramel was delicious, but my chocolate squared was friggin' amazing. Moist cake, light, not dense frosting, all nothing but deep, dark chocolate. That cupcake is pretty much Exhibit A in "Why Xochitl10 Can't Be Bothered with Milk Chocolate."

Since the night of the wedding in May, in which I ate a bunch of their cupcakes while inebriated, I have had Georgetown Cupcake on two occassions. On both occassions, I was very happy with what I ate. I had a bite of several cupcakes - red velvet, lemon, cherry cheesecake - and was extremely impressed. The only cupcake that was not great, but was still solid, was their chocolate/peanut butter version.

I am, however, dumbfounded that people will wait in line FOREVER to get a cupcake. Even when ordering them the day before, it takes a minimum of 10 minutes to pick them up, those people standing in line must be waiting for one hour to get a freakin cupcake, it makes no sense at all. I won't contend that they are not busy, but I must say that the store in Georgetown is likely the most mismanaged and disorganized place i have ever seen in my life! The last time I saw so many "workers" standing around doing nothing is when I drove home late at night on 66 and saw the construction crew. They are paying a lot of people to do jack shit.

I am, however, dumbfounded that people will wait in line FOREVER to get a cupcake. Even when ordering them the day before, it takes a minimum of 10 minutes to pick them up, those people standing in line must be waiting for one hour to get a freakin cupcake, it makes no sense at all. I won't contend that they are not busy, but I must say that the store in Georgetown is likely the most mismanaged and disorganized place i have ever seen in my life! The last time I saw so many "workers" standing around doing nothing is when I drove home late at night on 66 and saw the construction crew. They are paying a lot of people to do jack shit.

After watching DC Cupcake, I agree on the mismanagement, or lack of people who genuinely work hard.

It's become tradition now that I send G'town cupcakes to Mr. MV's office for his birthday, and request that he saves me one before his office mates snatch them all up. Just had the toffee crunch and it is moist with an insanely creamy icing.

They box the cupcakes up nicely, write a personal message and deliver in a bag for a $10 charge, flat fee. Totally worth it.

edited for clarity

It's become tradition now that I send G'town cupcakes to Mr. MV's office for his birthday. and request that he saves me one before his office mates snatch them all up. Just had the toffee crunch and it is moist with an insanely creamy icing.

They box the cupcakes up nicely, write a personal message and deliver in a bag for $10. Totally worth it.

Is that one for $10 or how many?

Is that one for $10 or how many?

$10 is the delivery fee anywhere inside the beltway. I don't think they deliver outside the beltway. I forget if you have to have a minimum order, I would assume there is one. The delivery is awesome though, very convenient. And they do have nice packaging, I think that is in store or out though, they seem to have consistent packaging.