According to the going out gurus on the Washington Post.com website, Nanny O'Brien's is open for now.

Doesn't sound great, but it's something.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/

That one user comment sounds a little more ominous:

- Live music stopped a couple months back

- Not serving food

- Owner nowhere in sight

- Smell is starting to get worse :)

I admit I was never a regular at Nanny's (not my regular 'hood), but it was always my choice over 4P's if there was a choice to be made. I remember St Patty's a couple years back when we walked right in, grabbed pints and stared across the street at the wrap-around line.

Lesson learned: read the entire post:

Nanny O'Brien - Not serving food
Palena had closed its kitchen 10 pm; I arrived at 9:52 and there didn't appear to be a seat at the bar. Wandered down Conn. Ave. in search of food and drink. First stop : Nanny O'Brien. (Based on DR.com post that it was a "dive" bar and that it might be closing soon.) Question: are you still serving food? Barkeep: No, the kitchen has been closed for a couple of months now. Gee, I sure miss the kitchen.

Isn't this place owned by the lovely Peyton of Fox & Hound fame?

Don't know if he is another one of the owners, but Peyton bartends there 6 nights a week. At least one of the owners is Solly (suprise), but I don't know if it's a joint ownership sort of thing.

The two 4P's split (the other is in Falls Church). Although the original was in Cleveland Park, the Falls Church branch retained the name.
When Christy Hughes bought the Inn at Glen Echo, and sunk a fortune into it, he decided to sell off the 4Ps. In the negotiations with the new owner in Virginia, he gave exclusive rights to use the name. He sold the Cleveland Park 4P to his brother a year ago, and the name had to be changed. I don't know if he still owns the Dubliner.

I'm not excusing bad service because I don't think it is bad service. Casual, informal, relaxed, post-modern, even mediocre -- whatever you want to call it. I've had significantly worse service at significantly "better" restaurants and am quite a bitch about service issues. Maybe it's Chevy Chase's answer to Bistro du Coin :P . If they're a little raggedy around the edges, so be it. They have been polite, responsive and enthusiastic to me.

If people are getting their knickers in a twist about the menu board, Comet is probably not their speed and they should consider an amicable parting of ways.

ETA: There are places where management sends in secret shoppers to make sure the host acknowledges you within 90 seconds, the drinks contain exactly 1.675 ounzes of bourbon and the waiter introduces themsleves by name, kneals beside your table and tries to sell you bottled water and dessert. The staffs wear pressed button downs, matching aprons, bright smiles and well-mannered hair. Their signs are always lit, their laminated menues lavishly illustrated and you can can an extra side of cheesy chili fries for only $1.99.

I hate those places.

And then there are places run by celebrity chefs that aspire to be dives as a way of excusing the crummy service and fake ambience, who sell 'PBR in a can' as 'hip'. OK, that's hip if you're in an actual dive in Williamsburg. Look, I'm sure your kids are very hip-that doesn't mean you are. Just ask THEM.

BTW, Chevy Chase Bar & Grill was a dive. It's in the dictionary. Look it up. And your glass (or plate) was never empty.

And then there are places run by celebrity chefs that aspire to be dives as a way of excusing the crummy service and fake ambience, who sell 'PBR in a can' as 'hip'. OK, that's hip if you're in an actual dive in Williamsburg. Look, I'm sure your kids are very hip-that doesn't mean you are. Just ask THEM.

BTW, Chevy Chase Bar & Grill was a dive. It's in the dictionary. Look it up. And your glass (or plate) was never empty.

Always a delight to read one of your posts.

I am quite familiar with dives, thank you, including the Chevy Chase Lounge, though it has never been one of my regular stops.

If you could read as well as you bitch -- and you do have a knack -- you might have picked up on the idea that my own hipness was the last thing I was trying to assert. I just enjoy it when other people know how to have a good time, perhaps by putting up an odd little pizza joint (is "joint" OK? I promise not to use "dive" any more) Clearly, you're not one of those people.

Don't you have Sietsema rant to post? It's been several hours since the last one.

I haven't set foot in Timberlakes in many years, so maybe things have changed, but I would never have classified it as a dive bar. I would have called it a yuppie bar. Now the establishment that preceded Bistrot du Coin in its space, that was a dive, of a very peculiar earth-tone, pony-tail-and-sandals sort.

This post might contain language unsuitable for Rockweilers under 17.

I haven't set foot in Timberlakes in many years, so maybe things have changed, but I would never have classified it as a dive bar. I would have called it a yuppie bar.
Huh. I can't say I've ever noticed any yuppies there.
Now the establishment that preceded Bistrot du Coin in its space, that was a dive, of a very peculiar earth-tone, pony-tail-and-sandals sort.
I classified Food For Thought as a "shithole," not dive bar.

Huh. I can't say I've ever noticed any yuppies there.
As I say, things change. I was last in Timberlakes in (I think) the early 80s. It seemed like a yuppie bar then.
I classified Food For Thought as a "shithole," not dive bar.
There's some justice in what you say. I would say it was a dive in the 70s and 80s, and went downhill from there.

When I'm in the mood for diviness, I'm a big fan of Toledo...Incidentally, at Toledo, the food's actually pretty good. Plus, you can get any of their sandwiches with fries, onion rings, half onion rings and half fries, or a salad. The half and half is the idea of the century, I think. :o

toledo lounge provided the final backdrop for a progressive drinking birthday party this past sunday. the contest for best jukebox in the city is over - at least if i am the only judge.

so in addition to a very solid beer list (for a dive), and pretty good food (for a dive), you can add lots of mowtown, johnny cash, prince, some 50s & 60s jazz, garrish 80s (i know, what a redundant statement), and smattering of good movie soundtracks to the list of reasons to dive at toledo.

toledo lounge provided the final backdrop for a progressive drinking birthday party this past sunday. the contest for best jukebox in the city is over - at least if i am the only judge.

so in addition to a very solid beer list (for a dive), and pretty good food (for a dive), you can add lots of mowtown, johnny cash, prince, some 50s & 60s jazz, garrish 80s (i know, what a redundant statement), and smattering of good movie soundtracks to the list of reasons to dive at toledo.

I'd go to Toledo Lounge more if the staff wasn't so moody. I got yelled at and told to leave when asking for another drink. Start your search again by walking about 2 seconds up the 18th street row to Pharmacy bar or around the corner to Bedrock Billiards.

Things you don't expect to hear, part I...

While walking from the Phillips collection to Bistrot du Coin today my mom says "Oh, Timberlakes. Your dad and I got thrown out of there a couple of times."

:o

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. So why are you surprised? :lol:

Something tells me there may be at least two sides to this one. :o
Well, I was sober in the sense I'd had all of one drink, and there is one particular bartender there that is exceptionally moody. It's not totally unusual for her to lash out at a customer- I saw it when she worked at another bar. I had interrupted a 20 minute conversation (literally 20 minutes) with someone who wasn't drinking at the bar, and the conversation was about clothing shopping.

This isn't the only dumb incident to happen to me there. I like when they wanted to watch the simpsons on the TV instead of Sunday night football. OK, great it's your bar, but can we at least watch the simpsons with the freakin subtitles on?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. So why are you surprised? :o
:lol:

I have been having inexplicable cravings for the Townhouse. Not sure where that's coming from. Normally it would be Fox & Hounds, but that place sucks since the put the TV in the back room.

Braggart.

Well, I am about to head off to have a $6 dollar Tusker at a plastic table stuck into the muddy banks of the Nile. Juba is charming in its own divey, malarial way...

Well, there will be one less dive bar to kick come early '08. It looks like the Dr. Dremo's closing date is more or less official. And they're taking the Taco Bell with it, thereby destroying the perfect good beer + crappy late night Tex Mex fast food symbiosis that those two establishments had developed. The place was about as down and dirty as they come, but I will sorely miss it.

Any guesses on what boring chain establishment will go in? Maybe in some really cruel twist of fate it will be a Hops Brewery :o

Well, there will be one less dive bar to kick come early '08. It looks like the Dr. Dremo's closing date is more or less official. And they're taking the Taco Bell with it, thereby destroying the perfect good beer + crappy late night Tex Mex fast food symbiosis that those two establishments had developed. The place was about as down and dirty as they come, but I will sorely miss it.

Any guesses on what boring chain establishment will go in? Maybe in some really cruel twist of fate it will be a Hops Brewery :o

I heard through the grapevine that they are going to go through with the plan to put more condos or apartments there. The developer hasn't decided which. I loved dremo's- had many an event there. I just wished they had cleaned their tap lines. I can deal with nasty floors, bathrooms, pool tables, but I can't deal with bad beer.

I heard through the grapevine that they are going to go through with the plan to put more condos or apartments there. The developer hasn't decided which. I loved dremo's- had many an event there. I just wished they had cleaned their tap lines. I can deal with nasty floors, bathrooms, pool tables, but I can't deal with bad beer.

They have to put retail on the ground floor of the new building, condos above; it's part of what was holding the whole thing up, negotiations about what was going in once they tore down what is there. The lines seemed to be hit and miss at Dremo's. I always found the rotating taps to be more reliable than the house beers. After one try during the summer I never got another one from the patio taps, though. I don't think the insulation for those lines was up to spec :o ; the one beer I did get was warm and flat. Still, the place had it's charms and was always a reliable bet in the neighborhood.

They have to put retail on the ground floor of the new building, condos above; it's part of what was holding the whole thing up, negotiations about what was going in once they tore down what is there. The lines seemed to be hit and miss at Dremo's. I always found the rotating taps to be more reliable than the house beers. After one try during the summer I never got another one from the patio taps, though. I don't think the insulation for those lines was up to spec :o ; the one beer I did get was warm and flat. Still, the place had it's charms and was always a reliable bet in the neighborhood.
That area could use another irish pub. :lol:

Well, I was sober in the sense I'd had all of one drink, and there is one particular bartender there that is exceptionally moody. It's not totally unusual for her to lash out at a customer- I saw it when she worked at another bar. I had interrupted a 20 minute conversation (literally 20 minutes) with someone who wasn't drinking at the bar, and the conversation was about clothing shopping.

This isn't the only dumb incident to happen to me there. I like when they wanted to watch the simpsons on the TV instead of Sunday night football. OK, great it's your bar, but can we at least watch the simpsons with the freakin subtitles on?

I have a love-hate relationship with that place. Great ambiance, great jukebox, decent beers. Just a few little annoyances here and there that have kept it from becoming one of my regular haunts.

My vote goes to the [Laughing] Lizard Lounge on upper King St. in Alexandria. Just the walk up the creaky stairs to the bar satisfies the dive criteria, never mind the fun of stepping out of the "ladies room" to wash your hands in the sink that's out in the hallway... great jukebox and always someone interesting to talk to (or just watch)...Larry's a great bartender too.
I probably haven't been in since around the time I made this last post, but it appears that the Lizard Lounge is no more. A new sign has appeared announcing "O'Shaugnessy's" - 'cause you know, Old Town just doesn't have enough Irish pubs, right? Also saw a new menu board (complete with fancy copper flashing) being affixed to the side of the building. Will have to do a little more investigating...

ETA: a little more info here (scroll down a bit), and from the O'Shaughnessy's myspace page:

"O'Shaughnessy's Pub open for business and broads" :lol:

To me, the perfect dive bar is Jay's in Clarendon on 10th street behind the main post office. Cheap drafts, so-so food, and a very mixed clientele and, sadly, a lot of cigarette smoke. A lot of these places are dying out, chased by urban progress and replaced by more upscale yuppie bars.

Former most shameful thing I've ever eaten: 4 a.m. hot dog cart "mystery dogs" (actually called Mystery Dogs) outside of Kilroy's Sports in Bloomington, Indiana, during undergrad.

Current most shameful: Nachos at Recessions

Former worst-tasting thing I've ever eaten: Bacon-flavored jelly beans as a gag gift in my Christmas stocking, 2005

Current worst: Nachos at Recessions

Former biggest sin committed during my time on Earth: Calling my mother a "b*%"

Current biggest sin I've committed during my time on Earth: Nachos at Recessions

Former fantasy enemy pain-infliction: Burying alive and mocking via a long-range radio, a la Vivian to Carly, "Days of Our Lives," circa 1995

Current fantasy enemy pain-infliction: (Say it with me): Nachos at Recessions

Nachos at Recessions

:rolleyes: We need more posts like this.

Actually, I'm serious. It's good to have posts that have a little personal narrative and some humor and a simple point. This has a lot more interest than, say, "I ate the nachos at Recessions and they sucked."

To me, the perfect dive bar is Jay's in Clarendon on 10th street behind the main post office. Cheap drafts, so-so food, and a very mixed clientele and, sadly, a lot of cigarette smoke. A lot of these places are dying out, chased by urban progress and replaced by more upscale yuppie bars.

All that (cough) cigarette smoke might be a factor in their expiration.

I like smoke in a dive bar. It reminds you've entered a parallel universe, similar to the one you inhabit most hours, but with decidedly less respect for the opinions of Emily Post (though there is an etiquette in place) the Surgeon General (though you will receive medicinal advice regarding hangovers, liver problems and the effect of various drink combination) and your wife (though she probably knows where to find you and what time you damn well better be home by).

But I really wanted to tout dive-bar-in-training The Red Derby where on Independence Day I sat on the patio with two young-ish (apparent) hookers, a goateed bouncer, a vegan bike courier, and the staff, who were drinking at the next table. Together we watched the locals attempt to burn down the neighborhood with ill-aimed bootleg fireworks and a small army of cops (oblivious to the fireworks) decide whether the woman on the corner should be arrested, committed or ignored. It's still young, a bit twee (board games) and hipster, and the beer selection is suspiciously large. Nonetheless, it is a parallel universe and has vast potential.

Also, a shoutout to the old Whitlows, on 9th Street, where my fellow program instuctors and I would chug beers during intermission at Ford's Theater (where our Close-Up charges were enjoying Theater Night, a break from their "experiential learning" experience), and Peggy's Place, formerly right next to the Post Pub, from which I was ejected after knocking my beer all over the bar. And after which I went to the Silver Dollar Lounge on 13th, of which the less said, the better.

Unfortunately, looks like Jay's days are numbered:

http://www.arlnow.com/2011/03/25/the-last-days-of-jays/

I had alays thought that the owners of Jay's owned the building but it looks like they lease it and it looks like the lease ill expire in December. That is sad because Jay's has alays been the perfect counterpoint to the places near it that are mingling spots for the area's twenty-sometings. I'll have to spend some time in the next few months hoisting a few in honor of Jay and Ann.

Clarendon does have a classic dive bar in Jays' on North Tenth Street. I am not bragging about the food which is cheap and edible but they do have a quite eclectic batch of customers. In an area where everything is upscale cocktail lounge, Jay's is is worth the walk over.

Springfield dive bars -- JW and Friends on the Backlick split-off just before Old Keene Mill Road, and Moe's Peyton Place across the street.

JW's has live music on occasion and tries to send out some decent fare from the kitchen -- it has a separate dining room -- but the bar is the draw for the local Springfield "townies"....everyone knows everyone, and you can stumble to the Motel 6 behind the place if you get sloppy or get lucky or both.

Moe's across the street is a classic greasy spoon. All-American breakfast in the morning and Springfield underworld at night.

• Like 1

I have this vague recollection that a few months ago - perhaps when Jay's closed? or maybe McKeever's? - anyway, I seem to remember it being in 2015 when someone here wrote that only a few dive bars remained in Northern Virginia, and they went so far as to list them.

Well, I drove by one three days ago that's still open (and was not on this list), and I can't *believe* it's still open given the construction going on around it - how can it possibly stay in business (unless they own the property, and that would explain a lot).

Ladies and Gentleman: I present to you now, the First Edition of ... "Name That Northern Virginia Dive Bar!"

I've been in here before, although it's now been about five years, and I can assure you that it qualifies as a "Dive Bar" by anyone's definition of the term.

It's inside the Beltway.

Think ...

I would have guessed JV's, but it doesn't seem to fit the "given all the construction going on around it" aspect, and it is really not that surprising that it is still open--it actually doubled in size last Fall.

Forest Inn was mentioned upthread, although when Don refers to "not on this list", maybe he was referring to the separate list that exists somewhere.  If so, I second the Forest Inn.  If not, the wheels in my head are still spinning.

J.V. Restaurant

Forest Inn

I would have guessed JV's, but it doesn't seem to fit the "given all the construction going on around it" aspect, and it is really not that surprising that it is still open--it actually doubled in size last Fall.

Forest Inn was mentioned upthread, although when Don refers to "not on this list", maybe he was referring to the separate list that exists somewhere.  If so, I second the Forest Inn.  If not, the wheels in my head are still spinning.

These are all great guesses, but let me be more clear: To the best of my knowledge (and I may be wrong, but I've done web searches), this place has never once been mentioned in the entire history of this website. This isn't a trick question - it's a legitimate dive bar, inside the beltway in Northern Virginia, and I'm certain that some people here have been (I have, anyway).

And it's almost incredible that they have a website, but they do:

post-2-0-12782200-1440527714_thumb.png