and I'm certain that some people here have been (I have, anyway).

Looks familiar. Bet I went there once or twice as a kid when my dad worked at Duke & Pickett. Speaking of inside the Beltway dives, my dad also played softball for The Keyhole Inn. Bet that gets some memories jogging!

Image search in google (tx for the tip, Don)

Harumph. Well, since you foiled all the fun, can you list the steps of going from a screenshot to doing a Google image search? I can't even cut and paste the picture.

I wonder how long this might have taken - you can see it from Duke Street, but not all that clearly; unless you've actually been there, or lived or worked near Landmark, it would be pretty tough to know it was there.

Despite their claims of homemade soups and homemade pizza dough, this place is a pretty massive dive.

post-2-0-98402800-1440530421_thumb.png

The high-rise behind it is under pretty heavy-duty construction.

post-2-0-10351800-1440530563_thumb.png

Harumph. Well, since you foiled all the fun, can you list the steps of going from a screenshot to doing a Google image search? I can't even cut and paste the picture. 

I understand there is a more 'tech way" to do it.  I did it more old fashioned.  I had the pic you showed in one frame and went to google image search in another frame and tried a couple of different phrases in the search box and scrolled down and damned if it didn't pop up.  Sometimes searching is just persistence to find some freaking little detail.  And sometimes you need to use some programming to find tons of data.

On the topic of dive bars, Springfield has a few. Moe's Peyton Place earns that distinction, serving as a greasy spoon most of the day and a dive bar at night. Across the street is JW and Friends, which tries to be a family restaurant on one side and a dive bar on the other side, but mostly devolves into dive bar. JW's also features live music on occasion, from the same artists who might perform at Potbelly.

---

JV Restaurant and Bar (Simul Parikh)

I spent a fair amount of time there, especially in the late 90s. Some days Tony would give me money to pick songs for the juke box. He talked about his plans to open The Pug for years before it happened. So much planning went into that. I hope he'll eventually be able to reopen.

One of the odd things that came back to me when I saw The Lounge was closing was the time I took my late aunt there for brunch. I think we may have been coming back from the Mall or something. She only visited a few times. We had a good meal.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2006 at 4:50 PM, clchurch said:

I can't believe no one's mentioned the Post Pub, on L St, across from the Washington Post. It's gotta be one of the darkest places I've ever been in. I hear that now that Stoney's is closed, they've decided to open on Saturday's to try and pick up some of their business.

Although it closed in the middle of 2020, the Post Pub appears to have reopened.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcs said:

The Post Pub is reborn, with touches aimed to class up the joint, by Tim Carman, May 23, 2022, washingtonpost.com.

Tim Carmen did a good job of capturing the feel of the dive bars of days gone by, when many workers were smashed by 1:00pm and still worked through their afternoon, at least in most cases. Stan's is still alive and around the corner, a touchpoint to the days gone by. There was a bar in the area called the Barrister, long since closed, where the local workers went at lunchtime for the Bloody Mary, which was very powerful and came with a skewer of alternating pepperoni cubes and cheddar cheese cubes as the garnish, which also served as lunch. A few of those and it was back to work, wobbly and in a whole different mood.

• Like 2