Bonaparte Breads

Was in the neighborhood yesterday morning and stopped at the Dupont Market. Very crowded at 10am. Picked up a few items. Highlights were the garlic from the very nice garlic ladies and Yo Fresh with honey from Blue Ridge Dairy. My first time trying it and was very, very pleased.

The superstar of the morning was pastries from Bonaparte. I don't think it's gotten very much attention on this thread (at least in my brief search,) and it was really fantastic. Beautifully dark croissaints and palmiers got my attention first. Also picked up a couple almond croissaints and an apple tartlet of some sort. Everything was really fresh and flakey. DC is not known for great pastries, in particular farmers markets are not known for great pastries, but Bonaparte was a real find. I didn't even get to the breads and the quiche - next time. I might be making Dupont market a regular trip because of it.

I'm finding myself already thinking about what I want next weekend.... yum.

Bonaparte really does deserve mentions. I love to grab a latte at Starbucks, then head to Bonaparte and get a croque monsieur and a chocolate croissant. Grab a patch of grass and share some ham and cheese with my lucky dog. It's all good. :)

The superstar of the morning was pastries from Bonaparte. I don't think it's gotten very much attention on this thread (at least in my brief search,) and it was really fantastic. Beautifully dark croissaints and palmiers got my attention first. Also picked up a couple almond croissaints and an apple tartlet of some sort. Everything was really fresh and flakey.
Their pastries are very good, especially the fruit tarts, and the baguette is respectable. I have not been so wild about the quiches.

The superstar of the morning was pastries from Bonaparte. ... DC is not known for great pastries, in particular farmers markets are not known for great pastries, but Bonaparte was a real find.

*cough* Maryland, not DC! Bonaparte's actual bakery is in Savage Mill, on the left side of the central courtyard.

Love their breads and croissants, especially their almond croissant, which is wonderfully nutty and takes on a form more like a bear claw than what you might get from Vie de France.

Tarts have been more variable. Their pure-butter pastry always makes for a good rich crust, but some of the sweeter fillings can take on a cloying quality, and the custards are usually set a bit too firmly for my tastes. Their mille-feuille can also be a bit dry or hard - pastry, custard and icing alike.

I just read http://howchow.blogspot.com/2015/01/did-bonaparte-close-in-savage-bakery.html -- say it ain't so!!

I have not driven by there, but if this is true, what a HUGE LOSS! :(

Oh, no!  This explains the sign that went up at P&C Market on Friday saying they would not have any more pastries until further notice due to circumstances beyond their control.  The got most of their baked goods (especially pastries) from Bonaparte.

Update:  P&C now has a sign up saying that they are looking for a new supplier since the vendor they had been using  (i.e., Bonaparte) has gone out of business.  They only found out about it last week when they called to place their order and were told that the business had closed.  They had been doing business with Bonaparte for years and this came as a real surprise.  It also sounded as though the employees of the bakery had no notice that they were about to become unemployed.   :(  all around.

They are back in business!  I stopped at P & C this afternoon looking for something else and discovered that Bonaparte is back.  They had the pastries and baguettes.  I asked the man who does the ordering what happened and he said that he didn't know, but they got a call from the people at the bakery and they're in business once again.

It would be good to know whatever other sightings there are for the bakery and their baked goods.