Went to the game with my wife to celebrate my birthday Thursday night. We arrived early, while it was still raining. I insisted we go up to the new Union Square section to take a look at all the offerings. The Shake Shack section of the new space jumps out at you - it's big and obviously designed to process a large number of fans during a game. After taking a quick look at all the offerings (Box Frites looked good, but the price point needs some serious tweaking), I decided to order the ribs from Blue Smoke. It was a good decision - the four big ribs in the box were tender , meaty and full of flavor. When you consider the average price of a hot dog at the ball park these days, the cost - $10.50 for the box - is now one of the best values at the park.

I'm happy to say the meal wasn't my only satisfying experience at the park last night - a combined 7 home runs on the field and a Nats extra innings win. I will be back for more!

TSchaad

I decided to order the ribs from Blue Smoke.

You almost had me convinced, but I swerved at the last minute and went for the slightly cheaper Fried Beef Bologna Sandwich. It was tasty, unique, substantial, and relatively reasonably-priced at $7.50. The $4.50 Grilled Jalapeno & Salty Peanut Chocolate Bar got melty pretty quickly in my pocket in the Saturday afternoon heat, so I waited until I got home and popped it in the freezer for a few minutes. It was about as good a prepackaged chocolate bar as I've had. But then again, I've been a sucker for the salty/sweet combination ever since I discovered how good my lunchbox pickle tasted when eaten at the same time as my Sara Lee chocolate cupcake in oh, about sixth grade.

In "other" Nationals news today, I rather enjoyed an uncrowded visit to Shake Shack during last night's game. While my ShackBurger was clearly pre-cooked, the thin patty remained moist and seemed no worse off than if I'd ordered at Dupont and walked 10 minutes back to work. Nothing much else to break down here -- it's a solid burger, with the right ratio of bun, cheese, meat and toppings.

That said, it amazes me how hard the Nationals organization tries to sabotage whatever character their home park could possibly have. Importing a parade of New York City concessions (while replacing a Five Guys with local origins) from Citi Field is only the latest offense -- others include the Presidents Race (copied from Milwaukee), the Diamond Club redesign (wiping out a 1924 World Series tribute for flatscreen TVs) and the garish "10th Man" banner that hung for several years and looked like Washington had retired Chipper Jones' number.

At least the on-field product is excitedly improving.

In "other" Nationals news today, I rather enjoyed an uncrowded visit to Shake Shack during last night's game. While my ShackBurger was clearly pre-cooked, the thin patty remained moist and seemed no worse off than if I'd ordered at Dupont and walked 10 minutes back to work. Nothing much else to break down here -- it's a solid burger, with the right ratio of bun, cheese, meat and toppings.

That said, it amazes me how hard the Nationals organization tries to sabotage whatever character their home park could possibly have. Importing a parade of New York City concessions (while replacing a Five Guys with local origins) from Citi Field is only the latest offense -- others include the Presidents Race (copied from Milwaukee), the Diamond Club redesign (wiping out a 1924 World Series tribute for flatscreen TVs) and the garish "10th Man" banner that hung for several years and looked like Washington had retired Chipper Jones' number.

At least the on-field product is excitedly improving.

I know that #5 won't be retired, and I'm sure that Rocks will pull this post. :-)

This is a biref note on dollar dog night on Wednesday when all franks were a dollar each. I bought two and felt that they were almost decent when slathered with mustanrd but do wish to note that it seemed that the franks were not fully cooked or warm when delivered to the customer in the foil wrapping. So, it was worth a dollar and not much more!

The arrival of my hometown Mariners and a flexible work schedule allowed me to spend much of this week at the Nationals park. While the Mariners offense didn't exactly leave me inspired, I was pleasantly surprised with most of what I tasted from the new Meyer joints. Shake Shack had the longest lines (the only lines really) and I wasn't in the mood for a burger so I didn't try anything from there. I have a funny feeling that somewhere on the internet you can find reviews and/or commentary on Shake Shack.

My two visits to Blue Smoke left me very impressed though. The KC Spare Ribs were hot and tender but retained just enough chew to not taste like fatty gruel. The KC style sauce created a nice sort of candied bark on the outside that left me stunned. I spent much of the first few innings wondering if the best ribs in the DC metro area are at a damned ballpark. Faint praise I know, but these will be immediately on my radar when I'm at a game from here on out. The gf's pulled pork sandwich wasn't quite at that level, sadly. Meat was unpleasantly dry, smoke wasn't as prevalent as with the ribs, and the sauce just... sat in a little blob on top of the meat. Not enough to taste it with every bite, and kind of off putting when you did. It tasted like... ballpark food. The next day I went back and sampled the bbq bologna sandwich. Is it possible for a hyped up concession stand that only sells 4 things to have a cult item? If so, this is it. Porky, sweet, rich, goodness. If this sounds even slightly good to you, I'd highly recommend this or the ribs - if only because you won't miss an inning or two.

I also sampled the taco combo platter (ah, the joys of an afternoon game) and was wishing I'd gone back to Blue Smoke. The braised chicken mole had moist meat and a good amount of sweet heat from the 'mole'. The slow-cooked pork carnitas, were as dry and lifeless as the pulled pork. The chili-marinated skirt steak was rubbery and flavorless. No chile flavor, no heat, no taste of seasoning at all, really. I was told I was given two different salsas but they tasted the same so who knows. Going 1-for-3 might work on the field, but not in the stands (and definitely not at 10.25 a pop).

I also sampled the taco combo platter (ah, the joys of an afternoon game) and was wishing I'd gone back to Blue Smoke. The braised chicken mole had moist meat and a good amount of sweet heat from the 'mole'. The slow-cooked pork carnitas, were as dry and lifeless as the pulled pork. The chili-marinated skirt steak was rubbery and flavorless. No chile flavor, no heat, no taste of seasoning at all, really. I was told I was given two different salsas but they tasted the same so who knows. Going 1-for-3 might work on the field, but not in the stands (and definitely not at 10.25 a pop).

On Wednesday's dollar dog night, we had a fully warmed hot dog with very fresh buns (we got ours on the 2nd level), and then headed over to the new section to sample the wares. The lines at Shake Shack were too long, so my husband and I tried El Verano, where we had the taco combo platter, and were pleasantly surprised. The corn tortillas were fresh and not rubbery. All of our meats were well seasoned. I agree that you could not tell the difference between the salsas. The tacos were small, but they were a nice size for a supplement to our earlier hot dogs. We'll be back.

The corn tortillas were fresh and not rubbery.

You know, I should have mentioned those too. In a city bereft of quality tortillas, these were a very nice touch. I just wish my taco fillings had been as good as what you were served!

You almost had me convinced, but I swerved at the last minute and went for the slightly cheaper Fried Beef Bologna Sandwich. It was tasty, unique, substantial, and relatively reasonably-priced at $7.50.

Thanks for the recommendation. This was great and I never would have ordered it otherwise. It's the best baseball park food I've had in a long time (though admittedly I go to many fewer games than I used to). The price is up to $7.75. I loved the pickles and onions and the way the bologna was grilled. It was a great sandwich, but I don't think it was fried :mellow:. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe they've changed something. There was also just the right amount of BBQ sauce, so it didn't make a mess. I would seek this out again

I couldn't recall what had been said about the pulled pork sandwich, but my friend liked it and thought it a good value. We sat down at a table to eat because the game was still some time off, and she took the last half back to eat at our seats because she couldn't finish it all.

And on a Danny Meyer/Union Square Hospitality note, a woman wearing clothing identifying her as management came up to the window after I had ordered and gave the cashier a french fry that had fallen on the ground so it could be thrown in the trash. Wow :unsure:.

I'm going to the game this Friday, and I'm trying to figure out if tailgating is "allowed". I know, by law, there's no tailgating anywhere because of open containers, and nowhere can you have open fires, blah blah blah. But, if one were to tailgate, where would I go? I hear conflicting reports about what lots are pretty liberal about drinking with a red cup and won't hassle us. I usually park underneath 395, but there's always a cop in that lot, so I'm a little weary about drinking there. That, and it's under 395, so it's not exactly the most ideal place to tailgate.

Then there's the issue of cooking out. I wasn't planning to bring a grill, but I have one of those tabletop portable gas stoves to cook a few burgers on. It sounds as if nowhere allows this, but I'd love to spend a few hours before the game just hanging out the back of my car. If not, I guess I'll settle for a giant pretzel and fried bologna...

Two games ago, I had the Jammin Island BBQ combo platter--maybe I was lucky, but both the chicken and ribs were surprisingly moist and tasty (agree with the earlier post that the plaintains were too sweet for my taste, and they were out of yucca so I haven't been able to judge on that front yet). Last game, for comparison, I got the Blue Smoke ribs--maybe I was unlucky, but the meat, while flavorful, was surprisingly dry. So here's one vote for the Jammin Island ribs....

I enjoyed a Ben's half smoke with chili and cheese at the ballpark last week. Something needed to lift my spirits during that suck of a game!

Note: the chili half smoke is $6, add cheese, which amounted to about 20 sprinkles of cheddar, and you add $1.50, which is a rip.

The half smoke was delish, however, with spicy chili, it had a great blend of textures with its "snap".

Had the taco combo at El Verano Taqueria last Saturday and thought it was the best thing I'd ever eaten at a ball park (faint praise) and probably a good deal healthier than many of the more traditional options. The meats were decent (no rubbery beef or dry pork) and the corn tortillas are a nice touch. But on the whole, we prefer to attend afternoon games (the rare 4pm Saturday televised games are ideal) and head up to 8th Street or Penn. Ave. afterward for something decent to eat.

That reliever was Henry Rodriguez, aka HRod or HotRod!

Also know in this house as Dr Henry and Mr Hyde.

Or, "Is it good Henry or Bad Henry tonight?" (Hit the bull mascot! That's what we always say when he walks on. Have we watched Bull Durham too many times?)

Seriously, that was a heck of an inning.

And to stay on topic - last Sunday I was at the ballpark early, so I tried a Shake Shack burger for the first time. It was, well, ok. The sauce was fine. The burger was not a hockey puck. The bun was a bit greasy. I would eat one again, and it was better than average ballpark food, but I would never stand in that line for one.

There was great disagreement about the shakes at the table though. I loved the black and white shake. Tasted like a hot fudge sundae, which is my favorite thing in the universe. Or so I thought. Everyone else thought it was too sweet, and not chocolately enough.

And to stay on topic - last Sunday I was at the ballpark early, so I tried a Shake Shack burger for the first time. It was, well, ok. The sauce was fine. The burger was not a hockey puck. The bun was a bit greasy. I would eat one again, and it was better than average ballpark food, but I would never stand in that line for one.

There was great disagreement about the shakes at the table though. I loved the black and white shake. Tasted like a hot fudge sundae, which is my favorite thing in the universe. Or so I thought. Everyone else thought it was too sweet, and not chocolately enough.

I love the black and white shake too! Never found it too sweet, but I'm usually getting it with fries and a (veggie) burger, which I'm guessing provides way more than the RDA for sodium, so maybe that's why. To me a black and white is just about the hint of chocolate, so it's perfect.

Heresy, I know, but I actually like the prefab crinkle cut fries too. I've had too many inconsistent orders of fries from the other vendors like Boardwalk -- they can be great, or they can be limp, greasy, and cold. At least the fries I've gotten at Shake Shack have been consistently hot and crispy. I don't go to SS every time I'm at the park, what with the line, the calories, and the price - but I think it's a great addition.

PS for vegetarians - Boardwalk Fries offers a decent handmade type veggie burger - black beans and rice based. A little mushy but very passable and spiced up with chili powder, so it's not bland at all.

The barbecued bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke is still $7.75 and still a steal ^_^ . Today I split one with my husband, who hadn't had one before, and he was also wowed by it. Just the right amount of spicy and the right amount of messy to be delicious but not hard to eat sitting in the stands. The sesame bun complements it really well, and the onions and pickles seal the deal. The fries were crispy on the outside and better than average but a pretty small portion for (I think) $5.50.

That sandwich has got to be one of the best food values in the park.

The barbecued bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke is still $7.75 and still a steal ^_^ . Today I split one with my husband, who hadn't had one before, and he was also wowed by it. Just the right amount of spicy and the right amount of messy to be delicious but not hard to eat sitting in the stands. The sesame bun complements it really well, and the onions and pickles seal the deal. The fries were crispy on the outside and better than average but a pretty small portion for (I think) $5.50.

Dang- I wish I'd read this thread before today's game. There's no more shake shack at the park? I think it's gone. An Italian sausage from one of the 3rd base stands was kind of ok once I got pass the burned part.

Dang- I wish I'd read this thread before today's game. There's no more shake shack at the park? I think it's gone. An Italian sausage from one of the 3rd base stands was kind of ok once I got pass the burned part.

I'm pretty sure my husband commented on how long the line was at Shake Shack when he went to Blue Smoke to get the sandwich.

I'm pretty sure my husband commented on how long the line was at Shake Shack when he went to Blue Smoke to get the sandwich.

When was the last time that a Washington BB team started 18-9? After reading what food is available at Nationals Stadium, I decided to bring trail mix. :)

I believe it. I walked around looking for it, finally asking an attendant..."nope, no more shake shack" - maybe she was doing me a favor to avoid the line, or thought I was a Phillies fan. Later saw a sign for it. Thanks for the heads up- I was afraid I was losing my sanity :)

I believe it. I walked around looking for it, finally asking an attendant..."nope, no more shake shack" - maybe she was doing me a favor to avoid the line, or thought I was a Phillies fan. Later saw a sign for it. Thanks for the heads up- I was afraid I was losing my sanity :)

Yes, Shake Shack's still there. The Union Square folks have a current promotion called "Eat for the Cycle" which involves a punch card with the bases being their four ballpark offerings. Round 1 runs from April through June.

I am sorry that you experienced the "new normal" from non-engaged park employees [but not my ushers, they're perfect]. My example: the cashier at El Verano Taqueria knew nothing about the Cycle promotion and had to consult a manager.

The barbecued bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke is still $7.75 and still a steal ^_^ .

<snip>

Thanks Pat, I've never gotten food from Blue Smoke and the "Eat for the Cycle" requires purchase of "a food item of $7 or more." Definitely will try the bologna over the fried chicken sandwich.

Nationals Park Concessions: Vegetarian options

I looked for a vegetarian outpost at Nationals Park, but I couldn't find any. To answer my question, no Washington BB team has ever started 18-9. The starting rotation is incredible, and just wait until Zim, LaRoche, Storen, and the Beast return.

When was the last time that a Washington BB team started 18-9?

Exactly 18-9? 1930

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSH/1930-schedule-scores.shtml

But they were a game better than that in 1932 at 19-8

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSH/1932-schedule-scores.shtml

Our last playoff team started off 17-11, that was in 1933

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSH/1933-schedule-scores.shtml

:rolleyes:

Very much enjoying this team! (though last night's game was the wrong one of the Phillies series to attend -- a late-inning drubbing from the Phllies, and Jayson Werth's broken wrist, poor guy -- at least Harper stole home and we won the series if not that game.)

Taqueria Verano made a pretty good dinner -- sadly, no combo tacos, you had to order three of the same kind. Carnitas were tasty, the salsa was flavorful, plenty of fresh cilantro on my taco, and nice non-rubbery corn tortillas. My son didn't care for his quesadilla w/carnitas (you can get any of the meats on the quesadilla) as was too spicy for him (not for me at all), but I used his lime crema on my tacos too. Elote (grilled corn on the cob with mayo, cotija cheese and spice was good, much less spicy than last year this time (when I could barely eat it). Churros had good texture but were cold, which is probably inevitable but not the best way to eat churros. No complaining from my family, though.

Taqueria Verano made a pretty good dinner -- sadly, no combo tacos, you had to order three of the same kind. Carnitas were tasty, the salsa was flavorful, plenty of fresh cilantro on my taco, and nice non-rubbery corn tortillas. My son didn't care for his quesadilla w/carnitas (you can get any of the meats on the quesadilla) as was too spicy for him (not for me at all), but I used his lime crema on my tacos too. Elote (grilled corn on the cob with mayo, cotija cheese and spice was good, much less spicy than last year this time (when I could barely eat it). Churros had good texture but were cold, which is probably inevitable but not the best way to eat churros. No complaining from my family, though.

I've also enjoyed the tacos at Taqueria Verano at a few games. I was disappointed to learn last week that they weren't doing combo tacos - they had let me order a combo on opening day. The carnitas, the barbacoa, and the veggie tacos were all nicely seasoned and generously portioned, and an OK value at $7.75 for 3 tacos. I really liked the elote, too.

On opening day, I saw a small stand selling veggies and hummus and sushi. It wasn't too far inside the main level concourse from where the big Hard Times stand is, but I haven't seen in open on two recent Tuesday evenings.

Near Section 313, Taste of the Majors has a regularly changing menu featuring items associated with the visiting team. A lot of them seemed to be burgers with different toppings, with some non-burger options (Baltimore Pit Beef, St. Louis Ribs, Cincy Chili, etc) in the mix.

Near Section 313, Taste of the Majors has a regularly changing menu featuring items associated with the visiting team. A lot of them seemed to be burgers with different toppings, with some non-burger options (Baltimore Pit Beef, St. Louis Ribs, Cincy Chili, etc) in the mix.

One of these options is a Miami Cuban Sandwich. Do not order the Miami Cuban Sandwich.

Stadium Food was the topic on today's Kojo Nnamdi Show. Tim Carman was a guest, along with the Nationals Park Executive Chef Dave Peterson and Margaret Engel, author of "Baseball Vacations". Interesting show with discussion of what's on offer at Nationals Park, and other parts around the region and the nation.

The link above also includes a list of best places for specific foods.

(I think I need to get back to my native Minnesota for some baseball - Byerly's chicken and wild rice soup AND Walleye sandwiches available at ball parks there)

One of these options is a Miami Cuban Sandwich. Do not order the Miami Cuban Sandwich.

Last year my friends liked that sandwich (I did not.) This year they find it inedible.

Also, don't get the chicken and waffles.

Last year my friends liked that sandwich (I did not.) This year they find it inedible.

Also, don't get the chicken and waffles.

I can't speak for last year, but I agree wholeheartedly for this year!

And I think the chicken and waffles has been 86'd.

On a previous trip to the ballpark, I saw someone with a basket of nachos from Hard Times Cafe that looked appealing, so yesterday that's what I got. My husband and I split an order of chili nachos from the stand at (I think) section 128. I got them with the optional sour cream and jalapenos and then customized them further by adding Cholula sauce and raw onions from the condiment bar. These are pretty decent for ballpark nachos. The chili wasn't up to the quality of the chili on the nachos at the restaurant(s) but wasn't horrible. I think I'd go for the meatless kind next time, though. (Same price: $10.50) They put cold shredded cheddar on the top rather than melted nacho cheese product. I think I'd rather have unmelted cheese that's cheese than the melted product. I should have taken more napkins than I did, since this was a little messy to eat forkless.

The wings the man in front of me in line got looked good. He asked for them without sauce, which I first thought was odd and then realized was a wise decision in terms of attempting to eat at one's seat without getting covered in sauce. This is the second game in a row that we've gone to where the Nats have scored 6+ runs. We didn't get to cash our tickets in for free Hard Times wings last time and I don't know that we will this time either :(

In the last couple blocks of our walk home, we ran into two different neighbors who had just returned from the game as well, which was kind of funny. When we stopped to chat, our one neighbor raved about the schawarma from Max's. I guess I'll try that next time. She said that it was a huge portion for (I believe) $10.

The barbecued bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke is still $7.75 and still a steal ^_^ . Just the right amount of spicy and the right amount of messy to be delicious but not hard to eat sitting in the stands. The sesame bun complements it really well, and the onions and pickles seal the deal. The fries were crispy on the outside and better than average but a pretty small portion for (I think) $5.50.

Another vote for the barbecued bologna sandwich -- incredibly delicious and surprisingly filling. A few minutes after yesterday's national them, there was no meaningful line, and I made it to my seat by the first pitch. Colleagues who entered the Shake Shack line at the same time arrived in the bottom of the 2nd inning :o

When we stopped to chat, our one neighbor raved about the schawarma from Max's. I guess I'll try that next time. She said that it was a huge portion for (I believe) $10.

Max's. Yes, Max's. Kind of think Max's is the closest thing to real or interesting or something food available at the park. Schwarma, hot dogs....

How cool would it be to have best-of-breed local vendors at Nats Park? Qualia or Peregrine coffee? Birch & Barley beers? Stachowski sausages? Two Amy's pizza? Rays' burgers...or hellburgers...or too burgers...or whatever they're called this week? I know, I know, logistics, unattractive economics, approval hoops, quality control challenges, not worth the pain, etc, etc. One can dream.

Related, how come ballparks aren't like airports? Most airports have awful food but there are a few exceptions much noted by those who care. This season, I've had the chance to visit half a dozen parks around the country and, while some are less bad than others, none seem to bring in seriously good/interesting food. Guess that's not why most go a game. But, then again, that's not why most go to an airport either.

Finally, WTH on removing Zimmerman and banishing Ankiel at today's game?!?! If not for the just-south-of-100-degree-weather, Max's and Storen coming out in the 9th to a standing O, all would have been lost.

How cool would it be to have best-of-breed local vendors at Nats Park? Qualia or Peregrine coffee? Birch & Barley beers? Stachowski sausages? Two Amy's pizza? Rays' burgers...or hellburgers...or too burgers...or whatever they're called this week? I know, I know, logistics, unattractive economics, approval hoops, quality control challenges, not worth the pain, etc, etc. One can dream.

How about a fan driven contest? Create a list of some of our favorite local providers whose product line fits the Ballpark model (District Taco, anyone?), and then have fans at the park vote on who will get a concession the following year at the park!

TSchaad

How about a fan driven contest? Create a list of some of our favorite local providers whose product line fits the Ballpark model (District Taco, anyone?), and then have fans at the park vote on who will get a concession the following year at the park!

TSchaad

A fan-driven contest must first have a Lerner's permit.

TSchaad

Because it wouldn't matter - the terms of being able to have a space in the park are restrictive to the point where nobody wants in. You're paying about $50,000 per year to have your food cooked and served by employees you don't hire, and you get none of the alcohol sales. There aren't very businesses where that model makes any sense.

I'm going to the game this Friday, and I'm trying to figure out if tailgating is "allowed". I know, by law, there's no tailgating anywhere because of open containers, and nowhere can you have open fires, blah blah blah. But, if one were to tailgate, where would I go? I hear conflicting reports about what lots are pretty liberal about drinking with a red cup and won't hassle us. I usually park underneath 395, but there's always a cop in that lot, so I'm a little weary about drinking there. That, and it's under 395, so it's not exactly the most ideal place to tailgate.

Then there's the issue of cooking out. I wasn't planning to bring a grill, but I have one of those tabletop portable gas stoves to cook a few burgers on. It sounds as if nowhere allows this, but I'd love to spend a few hours before the game just hanging out the back of my car. If not, I guess I'll settle for a giant pretzel and fried bologna...

Very late response but I have seen people tailgating in Lots W and U. Lot W has a sign that says tailgating is prohibited but folks were doing it in plain sight of the attendant.

The fried bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke may be the best thing I've ever eaten at a ballpark/stadium. I think it was probably very good even by non-ballpark standards. The chicken sandwich wasn't bad either.

BLKindergartner lost a tooth while at the game and insisted he wanted a snow cone. The Hawaiian ice stand was dreadful. Incredibly slow and no real flavor to any of the items.

And the Cardinals won. It was a good day.

I've also enjoyed the tacos at Taqueria Verano at a few games. I was disappointed to learn last week that they weren't doing combo tacos - they had let me order a combo on opening day. The carnitas, the barbacoa, and the veggie tacos were all nicely seasoned and generously portioned, and an OK value at $7.75 for 3 tacos. I really liked the elote, too.

I had the mole chicken tacos tonight, and while they were quite tasty and the taco wrappers were nice and fresh, they were only about two bites each, or 6 bites divided by $7.75....uh....you do the math.

The fried bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke may be the best thing I've ever eaten at a ballpark/stadium. I think it was probably very good even by non-ballpark standards. The chicken sandwich wasn't bad either.

BLKindergartner lost a tooth while at the game and insisted he wanted a snow cone. The Hawaiian ice stand was dreadful. Incredibly slow and no real flavor to any of the items.

And the Cardinals won. It was a good day.

Based on this and other similar comments, I recommended the bologna sandwich to a friend at the game the other evening. He said it wasn't as good as the ones his fraternity brothers made at college about four decades ago late at night after a round or several of drinking. I stayed with the $1 hot dogs (special for the evening) and I'm still here to tell the tale. Nats won big, too!!

Based on this and other similar comments, I recommended the bologna sandwich to a friend at the game the other evening. He said it wasn't as good as the ones his fraternity brothers made at college about four decades ago late at night after a round or several of drinking. I stayed with the $1 hot dogs (special for the evening) and I'm still here to tell the tale. Nats won big, too!!

As a northerner who was raised on cold bologna and cheese sandwiches with yellow mustard, I'm intrigued by this thing. What's on a fried bologna sandwich? Bread or bun?