Well that explains why some jackass stole ours from the bathroom changing table while my wife was changing my son's diaper.  I hope they impale themselves on the pointy hat.

WTF - that is not right. To paraphrase Vincent Vega, "you don't f*** with another man's garden gnome. That's just against the rules."

I'm taking the lads to Thursday's day game vs. the Mets, but we're going to check out Bluejacket beforehand. I assume if I'm good and toasty, I'll suppress the urge to buy an overpriced Dogfish.

Viva Public Transit!

Well that explains why some jackass stole ours from the bathroom changing table while my wife was changing my son's diaper.  I hope they impale themselves on the pointy hat.

Josh, you do realize that you'll look back on this post in twenty years (when millions of other gnomes have gone through the marketing machines), and it will be worth more to you than purloined Jayson could ever have been.

• Like 1

We went to the wild come-from-behind, 14-to-6 Sunday game vs. San Fran: #natswin #rallypigeon.  Went to El Verano Taqueria for food. My carnitas burrito was fine, but the vegetarian tacos my companion ordered were pitiful -- there was hardly any filling. Had I noticed right away, I would have returned them.

Note to thirsty fans: Our bar tender at the Red Loft Bar gladly served us large cups of ice water for free -- sure beats paying $4.50 for a tiny bottle.

I was invited to a game with a co-worker who has club level seats.  Man that's pretty nice.  I wanted to go get G Sandwich, but the club level nacho bar was so close.  And the nacho bar in there is pretty serious, an order is actually huge, I got mine with chicken and I thought they were pretty darn tasty.  

I wanted to go get G Sandwich, but the club level nacho bar was so close.

I don't think you missed much.  I was there for a game last week.  We ordered 2 sandwiches, a chicken Parm and an Italian hero, and they were both awful.  The sandwiches were completely dried out--I choked on the first bite.  I didn't think it was possible for a chicken Parm to be that dry since it has tomato sauce.

This was during the first inning--not at the end of the game.

DC Deb, you are making me feel better about my recent experience at G Sandwich.  Also in the first inning, I approached as there was only one person at the register, making me first in line.  I asked for an Italian sub with no onions, and was told that that was not an option.  They had about 30 premade subs of whatever variety sitting behind them, and apparently (based on the seeming refusal to make me a sub while I waited) that was the sandwich inventory for the day.  I did say first inning, didn't I?  Oh, yes, I did.  Maybe, based on the dryness you experienced, they are making these well beforehand.

The truly perplexing part was that I had the option of getting the Italian sub with or without mayo.  I guess they had some of both made already, all with onions, but it seemed that they were hell-bent on not making me a special order sub even though they had cashiers and others (and I assume sandwich makers) sitting around doing nothing.

Is it possible that they only intended to sell those 30 or so subs that day, or would they have had scores of others in the back, also already premade?

Either way, they have lost this prospective customer for good.  I don't even usually eat at the park, and was not especially hungry at the time (4:00 game), but I was willing to throw $14.00 their way to see how their Italian stacks up against some other locals.

• Like 1

I wanted to go get G Sandwich, but the club level nacho bar was so close.  

I don't think you missed much.  I was there for a game last week.  We ordered 2 sandwiches, a chicken Parm and an Italian hero, and they were both awful.  The sandwiches were completely dried out--I choked on the first bite.  I didn't think it was possible for a chicken Parm to be that dry since it has tomato sauce.

This was during the first inning--not at the end of the game.

DC Deb, you are making me feel better about my recent experience at G Sandwich.  Also in the first inning, I approached as there was only one person at the register, making me first in line.  I asked for an Italian sub with no onions, and was told that that was not an option.  They had about 30 premade subs of whatever variety sitting behind them, and apparently (based on the seeming refusal to make me a sub while I waited) that was the sandwich inventory for the day.  I did say first inning, didn't I?  Oh, yes, I did.  Maybe, based on the dryness you experienced, they are making these well beforehand.

The truly perplexing part was that I had the option of getting the Italian sub with or without mayo.  I guess they had some of both made already, all with onions, but it seemed that they were hell-bent on not making me a special order sub even though they had cashiers and others (and I assume sandwich makers) sitting around doing nothing.

Is it possible that they only intended to sell those 30 or so subs that day, or would they have had scores of others in the back, also already premade?

Either way, they have lost this prospective customer for good.  I don't even usually eat at the park, and was not especially hungry at the time (4:00 game), but I was willing to throw $14.00 their way to see how their Italian stacks up against some other locals.

Don't you all think it's safe to say that G Sandwich, or for that matter, just about any vendor at Nationals Park, is essentially a glorified version of a food truck? No, I take that back: "glorified" isn't the right adjective; "stationary" is.

These are stationary versions of food trucks.

I would guess - and it's only a hypothesis based on what you all are saying here - that G Sandwiches are pre-made at a private kitchen facility, and trucked into the park for bulk sale. Did you see anything at all that would indicate they're made - and in the case of the chicken parm, cooked - there?

You're some of the savviest diners anywhere - why are you doing this to yourselves?

Don't you all think it's safe to say that G Sandwich, or for that matter, just about any vendor at Nationals Park, is essentially a glorified version of a food truck? No, I take that back: "glorified" isn't the right adjective; "stationary" is.

Definitely. Though stadium service is far, far worse than what you get at food trucks. Sure the truck runners have to prep most of their food in the morning at home or in a shared kitchen space, but they're (usually) assembling it and presenting it to you with some matter of love and care. It makes a big difference.

I've never wanted to be this guy, but the service at Nats Park stands is really terrible at the moment. It's been a long, busy season and I don't think a lot of the concessions workers have the desire, skills or energy to offer passable service. In recent games I've been to stands where the server is just blankly looking off in another direction when you approach to order. You have to greet, initiate, order -- wait -- pay, and then being the good middle class jellyfish I am, thank THEM for the pleasure of buying a $9.75 Dos Equis or $12 chicken fingers.

I have a 21 game plan and probably get to about that many per season. I probably eat in the Park one out of every 7 games now. It's too much of a chore and too expensive. You can get a perfectly nice 1/4 chicken dinner at Nando's in the Yards w/ a side and 60 Minute IPA (at happy hour) for the same price as one beer inside the Park.

• Like 2

I would guess - and it's only a hypothesis based on what you all are saying here - that G Sandwiches are pre-made at a private kitchen facility, and trucked into the park for bulk sale. Did you see anything at all that would indicate they're made - and in the case of the chicken parm, cooked - there?

They make the sandwiches at the Park, or at least they did. I've had to wait for some to be made. I've had great luck at G Sandwich in the past, but I usually wait until at least the 4th inning to go. I suspect they make a bunch of sandwiches well in advance of the game, then replenish the supply with fresh ones as the game goes on.

The cashiers are terrible, though. They're nice, but they really, really don't care. They'll also tell you they're out of stuff when you can see the chef making them in the back and passing them to the window. You definitely need to be assertive.

The cashiers are terrible, though. They're nice, but they really, really don't care. They'll also tell you they're out of stuff when you can see the chef making them in the back and passing them to the window. You definitely need to be assertive.

I agree--really pitiful service.  I went to the Nats Dogs stand to pick up food for someone else.  I waited at the register after paying for 10 minutes before the cashier told me they were out of all beef dogs. Seriously,  when you only carry 2 kinds of dogs, you can't keep up?  This was at 5:45 in a game that started at 4. It was not even busy.  Also, the cashier took her time counting out her cash drawer before she told me they were out. 

I emailed Nats Park customer service and never heard back.  

They make the sandwiches at the Park, or at least they did. I've had to wait for some to be made. I've had great luck at G Sandwich in the past, but I usually wait until at least the 4th inning to go. I suspect they make a bunch of sandwiches well in advance of the game, then replenish the supply with fresh ones as the game goes on.

I suspect that waiting until the 4th inning allows enough time for them to sell through their sandwiches from the previous day. Or previous home stand. Or previous season if it's opening day.   :)

• Like 2

As the 2014 regular season rounds third, I'm down to Max's as the food offering that hasn't disappointed. G-Sandwiches has been so wildly variable that it isn't fun. This season saw an addition of more/better local draft stands (shout out to Dujuan in the stand across the concourse from the President's Club). Sadly, there's ongoing lack of training/support from Levy Restaurants management seen in stands across the Park (does Max's have its "own" staff?).

Last weekend, Capriotti's sponsored a "Beat the Bobbie" eating contest at Nationals Park. I've only seen it played once, so it may have been a one-off or (better yet) a foreshadowing of Capriotti's joining the food line-up next season.

post-226-0-74517500-1410528318_thumb.jpg

Note to the Nats front office: I'll know you're serious about the "status I deserve" when there's an e-cash line at Shake Shack and dependable WiFi that reaches down to my seats.

• Like 1

Last night:  The Schwarma was good; the Lebanese fries were forgettable and I'm glad I got the combo instead of just paying $6 outright for the fries.

Afternoon game today:  Just for the fun of it, I tried a gluten-free hot dog ($5).  The hot dog tasted like a hot dog that's cooked on a flattop.  The bun was dry and tasteless.

Last month:  Went to a game on a Wednesday.  I got the Italian Hero from G Sandwich and asked for it without mayo (I don't like mayo).  The cashier had to go to the back and get one for me, but otherwise it wasn't a problem.  I wasn't expecting it to be a bit spicy, but I thought it was good and filling.

You're some of the savviest diners anywhere - why are you doing this to yourselves?

Tend to agree with this. Except the quality of food offered by many food trucks exceeds that on offer in the Park. Really just one exception which...

As the 2014 regular season rounds third, I'm down to Max's as the food offering that hasn't disappointed. G-Sandwiches has been so wildly variable that it isn't fun. This season saw an addition of more/better local draft stands (shout out to Dujuan in the stand across the concourse from the President's Club). Sadly, there's ongoing lack of training/support from Levy Restaurants management seen in stands across the Park (does Max's have its "own" staff?).

Note to the Nats front office: I'll know you're serious about the "status I deserve" when there's an e-cash line at Shake Shack and dependable WiFi that reaches down to my seats.

...Lydia nails above. :-)

And, this just in on the new culinary attractions for 2015, which kicks off Monday with Max Scherzer fronting a half-strength lineup.

"New concessions include "Throwin' Cheese" in section 130, which will feature "decadent" macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. Near Section 132 is Captain's Cove, a new spacious bar that will offer the signature drink, the "Squeeze Play." The Virginia Biscuit Company arrives in May in section 113, and offers homemade Virginia biscuit sandwiches, including ham, fried chicken and chicken fried steak biscuits. The South Capitol Sushi stand has been relocated to section 217.
New menu items include Sam Adams Nats Anniversary IPA, Enzo's Pizza, Leilani Shave Ice, build-your-own meal at the Chef's Table in the Norfolk Southern Club and Korean barbecue steak tacos and chicken meatball banh mi at the Red Porch.

Further, Chick-Fil-A has been added as a corporate sponsor. For every save recorded by the Nats this season, fans will receive a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich by showing their game ticket or season plan holder card."

Lovely, eh? Aside from Max's, best bet remains the growing waterfront scene (anchored by Osteria Morini) nearby for pre or post game.

Lovely, eh? Aside from Max's, best bet remains the growing waterfront scene (anchored by Osteria Morini) nearby for pre or post game.

Maybe I'll try a biscuit or two -- and will definitely try the Sam Adams Anniversary IPA. Glad the Nats are upping their relationship with Boston Beer Co. But, yeah, the growing list of choices outside the Park is the real story in Near SE. I'm looking forward to some post-game/beer drumsticks and fries at Bonchon.

Maybe I'll try a biscuit or two -- and will definitely try the Sam Adams Anniversary IPA. Glad the Nats are upping their relationship with Boston Beer Co. But, yeah, the growing list of choices outside the Park is the real story in Near SE. I'm looking forward to some post-game/beer drumsticks and fries at Bonchon.

Agreed. The biscuit concept is one I'll try...at least once. Wish the team would realize the benefits of bringing local vendors in (like they did, partly successfully, with Isabella and Ben's) more. I'm not sure "Virginia Biscuit Company" is a real business apart from a Levy creation for Nats Park? It may be but the biscuit guys at Union Market would have been a dynamite choice, however unrealistic.

Oh well, always ways to work around mediocre, overpriced food but, more importantly, will the team work around the injuries and get more timely hitting this season? They have the horses to do it so let's hope so!

Here's a fuller description from WaPo on the new food options:

"Nationals To Offer A Virginia-Themed Food Stand This Season" by Kelyn Soong on washingtonpost.com

• Like 1

I thought the Beef Drunken Noodles ($12.00) I ordered from the Intentional Wok stand (on the first base side of the 200 level) was very good. It's served in a "traditional" white cardboad Chinese takeout-style container with chopsticks. The portion was large, although the staff were in "deer in the headlights-first day on the job" mode, so were probably not paying too much attention to portion control. The dish contained large chunks of passably tender beef, noodles of a decent texture, and sauce which was not gloppy. It was quite hot, due in part to the garnish of fresh jalapeno slices. I think the Hard Times Chili Mac at $9.75 is still the best overall food value at Nats Park, but the Beef Drunken Noodles have assumed the position of the tastiest thing I've had in that ballpark.  

Replacing the Beef Drunken Noodles on Intentional Wok's menu this season is Mongolian Beef with Snow Peas (still $12.00 and still a large portion). The heat which I liked in my former favorite is completely missing from the replacement. The beef itself had an unpleasant texture; dry and crumbly. I didn't try their other offering, Orange Chicken, but my friend said the noodles were severely undercooked (he returned it). I suppose I'll be searching for a new favorite food item at Nats Park.

On the beer front, the District Drafts stand up near section 309 (and probably the rest of them) apparently will open with 3 Stars Citra Saison with Lemon Peel, Atlas Rowdy Rye, some sort of Red from Mad Fox in Falls Church, and a DC Brau "special" beer that tasted a lot like Penn Quarter Porter.  The Red Porch (downstairs) had some new offerings such as Hardywood Park Pils, Deschutes Black Butte Porter (hopefully to be replaced by something like their Fresh Squeezed IPA when it finally gets warm), and a couple of others that I do not remember (OK, I think Allagash Saison has replaced Hardywood Park Singel).  The same two awesome female bartenders are back for another season, as well.

• Like 1

On the beer front, the District Drafts stand up near section 309 (and probably the rest of them) apparently will open with 3 Stars Citra Saison with Lemon Peel, Atlas Rowdy Rye, some sort of Red from Mad Fox in Falls Church, and a DC Brau "special" beer that tasted a lot like Penn Quarter Porter.  The Red Porch (downstairs) had some new offerings such as Hardywood Park Pils, Deschutes Black Butte Porter (hopefully to be replaced by something like their Fresh Squeezed IPA when it finally gets warm), and a couple of others that I do not remember (OK, I think Allagash Saison has replaced Hardywood Park Singel).  The same two awesome female bartenders are back for another season, as well.

At the Red Porch, Karen (taller, field-side) and Laura (concourse-side) tend bar. Both are truly awesome - it's definitely worth knowing where they pour during the off-season.

On Saturday, Dujuan (across from the Presidents' Club) had: Atlas Rowdy Rye (6.2%), Port City Porter (7.2%), DC Brau Stone of Arbroath (8%), and Three Star Ghost White IPA (5.9% and only 12 oz v 16 oz for the other taps). Dujuan thought the next tap up would be Mad Fox Irish Dry Stout (4.25%). End of the winter brews.

There's a slightly different selection at each of the District Drafts stands (Secs 119, 138, 225, 309). On their website, Mad Fox posted a map with their projected draft schedule. Sometimes they're at only three of the four stands. Maybe the breweries will understand this marketing opportunity, step-up, and send "beer educators" to enlighten the stand staff (in 2011, Shake Shack opened with managers and team leads from NYC). The extra "white space" below the map is from Mad Fox's website, sorry. [Moderators - please fix, if possible]

Edit to add that if you were at Opening Day, here's the gigapan link: http://mlb.mlb.com/photos/gigapan/?gpId=61fd8fa437f17302e0fbb73e0d65f3fb&c_id=was&year=2015&partnerId=ed-9077543-789098123

Nats%20Park%20Seating%20Chart%20Mad%20Fo

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the beer updates, much appreciated!

Firkin Fridays will return to the Red Porch when we eventually get a Friday home game (April 17 v Ph*ll**s)

http://flyingdogbrewery.com/events/action~oneday/exact_date~17-4-2015/

Nationals Firkin Friday @ Nationals Park

Apr 17 @ 7:00 pm
We're tapping a cask of Pale Ale with lemon peel, Kaffir lime leaves and sweetened ginger at the Red Porch for the first #FirkinFriday of the season.

Did not realize how hungry I was today until I walked up to visit the restroom early in the game.  There was no line at Shawafel outside near my 108 section seats and I impulsively ordered a Shawafel Sandwich and fries, which turned out to have a combo price of $14.50.  (I was so hungry I hadn't really considered separate pricing for fries vs. other options, so it was actually cheaper than I expected.)

Service was good and food came out very quickly, which would be good except it meant the sandwich had been made quite some time before.  I had to wait for a stop in play until I could return to my seat, so I ate the fries.  They were a smallish portion and tasted decent unadorned. The problem was the spicing on the fries, which had been dumped on in clumps.  No.  Detract points for this.  (Boardwalk Fries was nearby and would have been a better option based on portion size alone, never mind the clumpy spices.)

The sandwich was decent for room temperature falafel, meat and accoutrements in a big pita.  I was enjoying it, eating it bit by bit and fitting it back inside the empty fry basket I still had.  I'd eaten 2/3 or 3/4 when I bit into the sandwich and the remainder broke off and fell under the seats in front of me. :angry:

Although my companion taunted me to eat the food off the ground (asking how I knew where restaurant food had been before I ate it), I reluctantly abandoned my meat-heavy chunk of sandwich to the ballpark gods (or janitors).  It was good enough that I was sad to lose the last of it, though not good enough that I'd risk god-knows-what disease by eating the remainder off the ground.

If I had tickets in that area again, I'd get the sandwich one more time but fries somewhere else.

• Like 1

Great post, but your first sentence made me laugh out loud.

I certainly know what you mean when you are tempted to invoke the 5 second rule when overpriced food drops to the ground.  :D

I guess including the information that getting to the bathroom meant walking past a lot of food stands would have made that read a little clearer :lol: .

"New concessions include "Throwin' Cheese" in section 130, which will feature "decadent" macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. >snip< The Virginia Biscuit Company arrives in May in section 113, and offers homemade Virginia biscuit sandwiches, including ham, fried chicken and chicken fried steak biscuits."

Here's a fuller description from WaPo on the new food options:

"Nationals To Offer A Virginia-Themed Food Stand This Season" by Kelyn Soong on washingtonpost.com

While "Thrown' Cheese" serves a bland mac-n-cheese (think Kraft stove-top), the mac served at the Virginia stand was savory and had chunks of crispy meatballs incorporated in the rich cheese sauce. Virginia's version is spooned from a restaurant pan and topped with breadcrumbs. On Wednesday, their sandwiches appeared to be served on buns (not biscuits) with a side of kettle chips.

The Virginia Crunch (smokey and not too sweet) was a hit with my seatmates and would be improved by having smaller "popcorn ball" clumps in the bag.

post-226-0-73916100-1432300906_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at the Virginia Biscuit Company menu, I notice that they have Williamsburg Winery Two-Shilling Red and James River Sauvingnon Blanc for $9.  A bottle of the former is $7.90 plus tax at the ABC store.

Addendum:  Not that a large markup on booze at a sporting venue is a shocking phenomenon.

Looking at the Virginia Biscuit Company menu, I notice that they have Williamsburg Winery Two-Shilling Red and James River Sauvingnon Blanc for $9.  A bottle of the former is $7.90 plus tax at the ABC store.

Addendum:  Not that a large markup on booze at a sporting venue is a shocking phenomenon.

And amazingly, you're still doing better than buying a macro-beer at the Park.

{nerd alert}

At $7.90 per bottle that's 31 cents per ounce or $2.49 a glass at home. So a Nats markup of $6.51.

Now if you buy a Miller Lite 6 pack for, say, $6 that's 8 cents per ounce or $1.28 per 16oz serving. That's also $9 at the Park, a markup of $8.62.

Jose Andres' Pepe food truck will be inside Nats Park for select home games -- tonight and Sunday are such games.

I had a fried to order chicken sandwich and it was fresh with a "safe & sane" amount of sauce. Unfortunately, here weren't any tapas or dessert items on the menu board. My +1 went and got a second fried chicken sandwich during the first "lights-out delay" and that sandwich had way too much sauce.

Pepe was parked inside the Park behind right field, near the new Team Store, and where the "Build a Bear/Screech" store was previously located. There was no real line today although every customer took an extra minute or two to order.

Edited after the game was suspended.

post-226-0-44011400-1437190184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We finally bailed on the lighting disordered game, but first my husband and I shared an Italian hero from the Isabella stand.  The chicken parm looked like it would be good, but I figured something designed to be cold might be a better bet.  It was very good.  I would recommend that, though $14.25 is a ballpark price that I would not want to pay otherwise.

A couple of innings later, I got a Shawafel sandwich from their stand, having liked the one I got before.  This time it was actually warm when I got back to the seats, but the game was suspended because lights went out in the meantime :blink: .  It wasn't as moist as the one I got before and I wouldn't rate it as highly as the Italian hero.

My wife and I had two of the other sandwiches from the Pepe truck last night.  She had the confit chicken breast w/bacon, etc., and loved it.  I had the butifara burger.  The sausage was good, but if it was ever in patty form, it ceased being that way by the time it was in my hands.  I don't know if it was the aioli or the brava sauce (is the brava sauce like a barbeque sauce?), but I thought that the saucing flavors did not go well with the sausage.

So, every food service provider orders stock based on standing inventory, previous sales during last homestand, etc. Tonight, no vendors have any bottled water to sell in the stands. Be sure to BYOB for the rest of the homestand or be prepared to wait in line and watch the game on tiny wall-mounted TVs. Just saying...

On the BYOB front, my wife and I brought in six half-liter bottles of water this past Sunday in one of those small nylon backpacks, knowing what a scorcher it was going to be.  Four of them had been in the freezer for a day, and two in the freezer for a few hours before we left for the game.  At the bag check, there was only a cursory look to see that it was only water.  The four were solid bricks of ice, and I warned my wife that they might not allow those in, but they did.  I think it is going to be standard practice for us to do this--a minor inconvenience at a considerable savings (~$30) over having to buy bottled water at the park.  In Sunday's heat, the four bricks were pretty drinkable by mid-game.

On a food note, my wife got the same chicken confit sandwich at the Pepe food truck that she got on Friday night, and pronounced it even better than the one from Friday night.  I decided that it was high time to try the Italian cold cut sub from G, even though they had previously refused to make one to order sans onions.  They balked (pun intended) at my request again, but luck was with me, in that they had run out of onions and had made some w/o onions, so I was happy.  A very good Italian sub, but they make them with mayo in addition to oil and vinegar.  Way too much mayo, particularly in that heat.  They do, as I came to find out, premake some of these without mayo, due to persistent customer requests, so I recommend that if you are going to get one, get it without the mayo.

ETA-Don, I notice that I have now reached "Lawrencium" status (103 posts-103 being the atomic number for said element).  I don't know how many numbers you have done this with, and I don't know the level of effort involved, but would you entertain suggestions from members for other significant numbers for those of us climbing the ranks?

On the BYOB front, my wife and I brought in six half-liter bottles of water this past Sunday in one of those small nylon backpacks, knowing what a scorcher it was going to be.  Four of them had been in the freezer for a day, and two in the freezer for a few hours before we left for the game.  At the bag check, there was only a cursory look to see that it was only water.  The four were solid bricks of ice, and I warned my wife that they might not allow those in, but they did.  I think it is going to be standard practice for us to do this--a minor inconvenience at a considerable savings (~$30) over having to buy bottled water at the park.  In Sunday's heat, the four bricks were pretty drinkable by mid-game.

On a food note, my wife got the same chicken confit sandwich at the Pepe food truck that she got on Friday night, and pronounced it even better than the one from Friday night.  I decided that it was high time to try the Italian cold cut sub from G, even though they had previously refused to make one to order sans onions.  They balked (pun intended) at my request again, but luck was with me, in that they had run out of onions and had made some w/o onions, so I was happy.  A very good Italian sub, but they make them with mayo in addition to oil and vinegar.  Way too much mayo, particularly in that heat.  They do, as I came to find out, premake some of these without mayo, due to persistent customer requests, so I recommend that if you are going to get one, get it without the mayo.

ETA-Don, I notice that I have now reached "Lawrencium" status (103 posts-103 being the atomic number for said element).  I don't know how many numbers you have done this with, and I don't know the level of effort involved, but would you entertain suggestions from members for other significant numbers for those of us climbing the ranks?

[Of course! Send me a PM (these are, after all, supposed to be a jovial surprise). Lots of numbers, next-to-no effort, and glad to do it. I'm impressed you knew about Lawrencium. :) I'm just trying to make this place fun.]

The Nats actually loosened restrictions on water for last night's game - saying fans could bring in two liters instead of the normal one. And vendors sell frozen bottles in front of the Park, telling buyers they can bring them in that way, I'm guessing it's not in their best interest to be lying about that. Club also opened up air conditioned event rooms as cool zones for fans. They announced that policy yesterday, but I think they were operating like that all weekend.

Was glad I brought in a bottle of water last night from outside the park.  I had a chicken parm from G Street, it was fine, I am glad to hear you can get the Italian Sub w/o mayo my companion at the game got the sandwich and the mayo was a big turn off for me.  Where is the Pepe food truck when it is there?

Was glad I brought in a bottle of water last night from outside the park.  I had a chicken parm from G Street, it was fine, I am glad to hear you can get the Italian Sub w/o mayo my companion at the game got the sandwich and the mayo was a big turn off for me.  Where is the Pepe food truck when it is there?

I got the chicken Parm today and it was good enough, but I liked the hero better.  They kept it pretty hot.  I split with my friend who hadn't eaten at all.

I was tempted to order the hero again, as I don't mind the mayo on top of the oil and vinegar.  Even my husband, who doesn't like mayo much, hadn't minded that.  Then I decided I should try the turkey instead but finally flipped over to ordering the chicken Parm by the time I got to the front of the line.  Before I could order, I heard the person next to me told that they were out of the hero and turkey.  This was in the 7th inning, I think, around there.  So chicken Parm it was.

Today at the stadium I had the best Shake Shack burger I've ever had, and there have been a few.  It was not made to order but was still warm and the cheese gooey when I took my first bite about 10 minutes later in my seat; the lettuce was crispy and the tomato firm yet juicy.  It almost made up for the crappy lost against the Rockies.

Today is "truck day" for the Nationals. Their whole kit and caboodle is boxed and heading down I-95 to Viera for the last time. Next year, they'll be at a new park in West Palm Beach for spring training.

Saturday, 06 Feb, the Nationals hosted season ticket plan holders in the Club Level for a "Hot Stove" event. A good overview was written by the NatsLady on her TalkNats site.

I'll just relay some of the National's food and drink updates.

There is an effort to improve the concessions available on the Gallery (300) level. An additional location of the Virginia Country Kitchen will be located there. In its rookie year, the Virginia Country Kitchen served 18,000 biscuits and was wildly popular.

The Shake Shack is expanding into El Verano Taqueria's space (the Taqueria is relocating), adding more registers, and taking e-cash. When will the Nationals expand the WiFi coverage? No word.

Mike Isabella is doubling down and adding two stands in addition to the "G-Sandwiches" concept. They are: "Kapnos at the Park" and Catchfly (southern inspired cuisine, think fried chicken and ribs).

The "Pitch Your Product" contest is still evaluating entrants and may yield 3 - 6 new stands in the park. Early leaders' menus include: tots, empanadas, and vegan food.

On the downside, although there is no word on the future of District Drafts, the Nationals have signed a major marketing deal with Anheuser-Busch/InBev that will prominently change the name and concept of the Red Porch to Budweiser Brewhouse and replace the Sam Adams stand with Goose Head. If anyone needed a reminder of how their products taste, there was a "beer tasting" as the finale of the Hot Stove.

I guess Cardinals fans just need to feel more at-home in Nats Park. post-226-0-46816500-1454967657_thumb.jpg

To end on an optimistic note, here's the May giveaway bobblehead commemorating Bryce Harper as 2015 National League MVP. post-226-0-74630600-1454967666_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm so ready for spring training.  I ran into a friend today who is an usher and has been working spring training for years.  She's in the process of finishing packing to head down to Viera one last time.  Go Nats!  (I don't know how many guys are already there early, but Clint Robinson is.  He arrived Feb. 1, according to his Twitter.  Love that guy.)

• Like 2

I'm so ready for spring training.  I ran into a friend today who is an usher and has been working spring training for years.  She's in the process of finishing packing to head down to Viera one last time.  Go Nats!  (I don't know how many guys are already there early, but Clint Robinson is.  He arrived Feb. 1, according to his Twitter.  Love that guy.)

Babe Ruth's idea of Spring Training was switching from 101 to 80 proof. :lol: 3Babe-Ruth.jpg

"Steam Exploded - 8 Times Normal Size" - Anyone know where I can get some of this stuff?

• Like 1

On the downside, although there is no word on the future of District Drafts, the Nationals have signed a major marketing deal with Anheuser-Busch/InBev ...

Well, before this season they had a big deal with Miller/Coors and that did not stop the District Draft stands from starting and then expanding. They'd be crazy to quash something so popular with fans. Of course the Nats are crazy so I guess we'll see.

Well, before this season they had a big deal with Miller/Coors and that did not stop the District Draft stands from starting and then expanding. They'd be crazy to quash something so popular with fans. Of course the Nats are crazy so I guess we'll see.

They would be insane to kill the District Drafts stands.  It's the only one I have to consistently stand in line for in the 300 level (well, it's the only one I visit on a regular basis, so that follows logically).  It would suck if they replaced Dogfish Head available at some of the normal concessions.  I'm assuming they haven't changed distributors, just the branding, so theoretically this shouldn't impact anything not under those umbrellas.  Unless InBev is more aggressive at pressuring to push out independents than MillerCoors was.  The Red Porch might become less interesting, though.

This is a definite worry. If InBev is specifically in control of the Red Porch, I think the variety on the taps (and the Friday firkins) is under threat.

I hear the Red Porch is gone and it is being changed to the Budweiser Brew House.  Whether it will exclusively have Budweiser-branded beer is another question.